SportsWrath

New Giants Offense Film Breakdown, Or Why Ben McAdoo Got Fired

CrazedDogs

Thought this was an interesting read:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/LongFormArticle/New-York-Giants-game-tape-film-room-120995376/#120995376_10

The TLDR version: new offense = much more multiple, and plays to strengths of players.

Also brought me back to my 2017 wonderment at McAdoo's seeming refusal to use backs and TEs as pass protectors, and that after losing essentially an entire roster's worth of WRs that he stuck with 3 WR sets. From mid to late season on, the Giants were stronger and deeper at TE, any armchair QB could see that they should have been in a 2 TE base offense. And Ellison is a damn decent player, its crazy how much we had some journeyman WRs on the field instead of that guy.

One other thing pointed out in this article is that not only were they in 11 far too much given the talent, but the formations tended to be repetitive. Just same old base formation, play after play.

As I look back, I can't help but wonder how McAdoo's O was successful at all. At first, he seemed to be a marked improvement on Gilbride.

Looking back I would say that McAdoo brought some new ideas and plays to the Coughlin offense, they were improvements overall. Problems with McAdoo began soon after he was elevated to head coach.

Any time you bring someone new, thats bound to happen most of the time.... dude didnt have much after the initial pop.

One other thing pointed out in this article is that not only were they in 11 far too much given the talent, but the formations tended to be repetitive. Just same old base formation, play after play.

As I look back, I can't help but wonder how McAdoo's O was successful at all. At first, he seemed to be a marked improvement on Gilbride.

When you look at Coughlins last season and McAddos first the offense was heads and shoulders better under Coughlin, the problem was the defense was swiss cheese that year and lost games in the final minute, with the addition of poor clock management out of Coughlin.

MacAttack had a new defense full of free agent additions like Jenkins, Vernon and Snacks who made the defense more than capable of closing out a game in the final minutes which was seen when they went from bottom of the NFL in defense to top 10.

MacAttack was never a good HC or even a good OC, he made the playoffs out of sheer luck and the fact the NFC East was a trash pile that year.

I was his biggest hater the moment he stepped on this team and I still hate the fucking guy with a passion, honestly hope he never coaches again in the NFL.

Any time you bring someone new, thats bound to happen most of the time.... dude didnt have much after the initial pop.

Unfortunately and now we are here with a new GM and a team heading in a new direction.

The tell tale is he does not have a job this year... not even as a position coach or as a college coach... just unemployed

I believe he's still making $$$ from the Giants since he had one year left on his contract, he has no reason to work this year, or he simply cant cause the Giants still have the rights to him.

At the same time, I think you're right even if he could coach or wanted to he would be looking at a positional coach at most on some team.

Maybe he can go stock Rodgers minifridge in Green Bay again.

Credit McAdoo foe gwtting ball out quicker and increasing Eli completion percentage..and focusing on it. Especially given the shit line.

Crucify him for not having the ability to adjust to anyrhing at all when receivers fwll to injury and his refusal to adjust personnel.

I didn't have a problem giving McAdoo a shot...but I didn't have a problem with them pullingthe plug whenthey did either

Credit McAdoo foe gwtting ball out quicker and increasing Eli completion percentage..and focusing on it. Especially given the shit line.

Crucify him for not having the ability to adjust to anyrhing at all when receivers fwll to injury and his refusal to adjust personnel.

I didn't have a problem giving McAdoo a shot...but I didn't have a problem with them pullingthe plug whenthey did either

Shurmur is talking a big game about Eli topping 70% completion this year. He seems to think its a real possibility.

As free as everybody was running against the Jets, wouldn't surprise me a bit. But wouldn't that be damning of McAdoo's offense.

Shurmur is talking a big game about Eli topping 70% completion this year. He seems to think its a real possibility.

As free as everybody was running against the Jets, wouldn't surprise me a bit. But wouldn't that be damning of McAdoo's offense.

I think one of the big reason why Shurmur was hired, he was probably one of the few candidates fine with the idea of getting the most out of Eli the next couple of seasons before looking to the future.