SportsWrath

Jerry Reese ‘owns’ and dissects Giants disaster

Tempest

http://nypost.com/2017/10/24/jerry-reese-owns-and-dissects-giants-disaster/

Jerry Reese knows the Giants have a terrible record, but when he looks at the team he put together, he does not see a terrible team.
“We’re 1-6. This is not where we want to be, but this is where we are,’’ Reese said Tuesday as the Giants hit their bye week. “This is my roster. I’m responsible for everybody on the roster. I’ll take ownership where we are right now, the 1-6 start. I do believe we still have good players on this roster, I do believe that.’’
Reese said he believes the Giants bought into the hype heading into this season, coming off an 11-5 record, and that the hunger and desire he saw in 2016 was not there at the start of this season. He mentioned he did not think the Giants “strained as hard’’ as they needed to strain.
“When you win 11 games, you’ve got a little bit of a swagger about you,’’ Reese said. “Then you come back [thinking], ‘Well, this is pretty easy, we won 11 games,’ and we won 11 games with a rookie head coach. So you come back and think, well, we’ve already got 11 wins, and that’s just not how it works.
“You have to play with some passion out there. So, that’s what I’m getting at. It’s not on the head coach. It’s on all of us. When I say, guys, we lose together and we win together, it’s on all of us – it’s every single body in this organization.’’
The Giants lost their first five games before finally breaking through in Denver.
“I don’t think we played as hungry as we did last year,’’ Reese said. “I think that’s evidence for me. I don’t see the hunger coming out of the gate. We played hard in some games, but there is a difference between playing hard and having that hunger that you have to have to win in this league.’’
It is no secret the Giants have been compromised by an offensive line that has been shaky, at best. Reese spent much of the 22-minute press conference defending a position group he put together.
“Is our offensive line comparable to a lot of teams around the National Football League?’’ Reese asked. “Absolutely it is. Whatever you have to do, you have to manufacture wins, you have to do it. We felt like we had some young players in our offensive line that grew and had a lot of snaps together. They flashed some good play at times, but obviously if you’re not winning a lot of things get pointed at. People like to point at the offensive line, and it’s totally not all on the offensive line. We win as a team, we lose as a team. It’s a whole team effort that’s caused us to be where we are.’’
One of the offensive linemen, Ereck Flowers, happens to be the No. 9 overall pick in the 2015 draft. That investment has thus far not paid off with production. Again, Reese defended Flowers, who in his third season is generally regarded outside the Giants orbit as a subpar player.
“I think Ereck has improved, first of all,’’ Reese said. “I think he works hard. I think everybody has an opinion about where players should be placed and what their development is. All young players do have to develop. I do think he’s developing. Is he gonna be our long-term left tackle? We don’t know that. If you look at him compared to a lot of left tackles around the National Football League, there’s a bunch of comparables around. You put Flowers on some of these guys’ jerseys and you’d be like, ‘Wow.’ I do think he gets pointed out unfairly a little bit at times.
“But it’s the National Football League. If you can’t take criticism you should quit. If you’re a general manager of a football team or if you’re a player or you’re a quarterback or you play any position, if you can’t take criticism you should quit. Ereck’s a big boy, there’s been guys picked higher than him in the offensive line who have struggled. Different positions struggle at different times. I do think he’s working hard, I do think he’s improving and we’ll continue to support him and hopefully he’ll continue to improve and be a good player for us.’’
At the end of the 2015 season, co-owner John Mara parted ways with Tom Coughlin but spared Reese, saying, “Jerry knows it’s on him.’’ After the resurgent 2016 season, it has been a disaster on the field this season, and fans are thirsting for Reese to be sent packing.
“Yeah, you’re always on notice,’’ Reese said. “I’ve been doing this for over 10 years now and every single time – I’ve been left for dead a lot of times since I’ve been doing this job. But that’s just part of it, comes with the territory. It’s a high-performance business. I’d love for us to have won 10 Super Bowls in my 10 years as the general manager of the Giants, but we haven’t. I wish we could have. We’ve won some games, but I sure believe we could have done better than we have.’’
Reese also came to the defense of Ben McAdoo, the second-year head coach.
“Ben won 11 games last year as a rookie,’’ Reese said. “It’s been a little bit tougher, he can’t sneak up on anybody in this league. He has to do better in what his job is, and I think he will, and here’s why I think that is: Because it’s important to him, number one. He’s a hard worker and he’s smart – he’s smarter than all of us in this room, I can tell you that, it’s not even close. All of us together, he’s smarter than all of us. So, it’s important to him. It means something to him. He’s not the guy that you can’t talk to and give suggestions to. He’s gonna do whatever is best for this football team.’’
As for his own emotions amid this shockingly bad season, Reese remained the stoic personality he allows the public to see.
“You guys want me to get up here and have a tantrum, I’m not going to do that,’’ he said. “It’s frustrating. Anytime you lose football games and you’re 1-6 there is some frustration. But I’m not going to get up here and fall on the floor and kick and scream. I’m not going to do that. Of course, we’re all frustrated.’’

I guess he had to come out of hiding at some point during the bye, so he is getting it out of the way now so he can sit back the rest of the season.

Ereck Flowers has gotten better as the season continues to tank and yet not the LT that was expected. Currently drafting the third pick of the draft so hopefully high enough for the LT we didn't draft three years ago.

Not a concession speech of course because the outcome of the season is still to be determined. Team has failed because it wasn't hungry enough? One of the dumber things he has said. The team wasn't prepared to win...closer to the truth and that started in his office.

Now I don't expect Jerry Reese to throw a tantrum, I expect him to make corrections and he has spent his time defending mistakes, missing opportunities and passing the buck.

Win together, lose together, get fired together...

http://nypost.com/2017/10/24/jerry-reese-owns-and-dissects-giants-disaster/

Reese said he believes the Giants bought into the hype heading into this season, coming off an 11-5 record, and that the hunger and desire he saw in 2016 was not there at the start of this season. He mentioned he did not think the Giants “strained as hard’’ as they needed to strain.

Mother fucker has taken a page from the Ben Mcadoos book of "Throwing everyone else under the bus to save yourself"

lol guys a joke.

They're a 1 - 6 team playing like a 1 - 6 team. They're just not that good. Whether it's the duds where they don't even show up to the game (i.e. Seattle (offense), Dallas) or the close last minute games that they failed to close out (Philly, TB), or the complete and epic unwinding games (Chargers), they flat out just stink.

Everyone on this starting offensive line would be a backup on most other teams, or out on the street, with the exception of Pugh who, at best, is a B level OL, and Richburg who is C+. That's the Achilles heel on this team. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Or more accurately, if you don't have at least an average to above average line, your offense really doesn't stand a chance.

The defense, despite the inconsistency and far from being great, would be in much better shape if they weren't so gassed and relied upon due to the offense not being able to hold onto the ball.

Mother fucker has taken a page from the Ben Mcadoos book of "Throwing everyone else under the bus to save yourself"

lol guys a joke.

Nah... where do you think Mac got it from? Reese has been doing this for years.

Anyway I finally got to watch this and this motherfucker needs to go. The media did an awesome job grilling him about specific non-moves on the offensive line and this dude says they wanted to get younger on the line. Really? Your qb is 36 years old. your defense is full of vets who might be at their peak. You have Collins, Beckham, and your best two linemen approaching free agency. The team was 11-5 and had most pieces in place. But let's wait and develop the fucking offensive line. Can you use the 25th amendment on a football gm?

This season's failure is on Reese... I do think this team is not as bad as it's record suggests... but when your #1 unit sucks donkey balls, it's going to domino the entire team... if your offense can't run the ball and your QB is waiting to get killed 2 seconds after the snap, you have no fucking prayer... It doesn't matter that you have ODB, BM, and Engram out there... they have no time to get open anyway... O is out and your D is working too hard being on the field for so long...

And because of the patch work we were doing trying hard to make things happen, our plays were exposed.. our players went down one after another... not just we don't have an OL... we have no WRs... I'm just glad we got one win.. how I hope we finish 1-15

He's right that we have a good team... but a major component is defective... yes we have a 2017 BMW 750... with a really bad transmission though.

I've resigned to the fact we have a terrible 2017... which is fine.. we need better draft picks anyway...

Yep...funny how his speech started with "I", drifted to "we", and ended with "they".

I take responsibility.

We all have to put forth effort.

They didn't play with emotion.

But he's right to some degree. Ownership is responsible for not firing Reese at same time as Coughlin. Reese is responsible for assembling this roster and ignoring entire groups like linebackers and offensive line. McAdoo is responsible for the shitty play-calling and game decisions. Players are responsible for not performing on the field.

I hope they lose every game from here on out. It's the best for the draft position and it's best for getting Reese out of here.

Coughlin did it during the losing seasons too. Constantly harped on "execution". It's a team culture issue and it starts with Mara

Yeah, the answer to the "but if they only executed better crowd" is - How about we place talent on the team that's capable of executing more consistently?

I.e. How about we FUCKING FIND PLAYERS CAPABLE OF PLAYING THEIR POSITIONS?

Yep...funny how his speech started with "I", drifted to "we", and ended with "they".

I take responsibility.

But he's right to some degree. Ownership is responsible for not firing Reese at same time as Coughlin. Reese is responsible for assembling this roster and ignoring entire groups like linebackers and offensive line. McAdoo is responsible for the shitty play-calling and game decisions. Players are responsible for not performing on the field.

I hope they lose every game from here on out. It's the best for the draft position and it's best for getting Reese out of here.

Exactly. They either needed to stick with coughlin and give him a shot with the free agent moves or just clear the entire deck and get rid of everyone. We had a ton of cap space, a qb, an elite playmaker on a rookie contract, and good draft capital going into 2016. It would've been an attractive job to lure a quality gm and coach. But no, they just HAD to prove they were right, threw the fans a bone (coughlin--which the fan base was split on anyway), and stubbornly press forward with the same people who brought us a shit load of losing after the last super bowl.

Anyway I finally got to watch this and this motherfucker needs to go. The media did an awesome job grilling him about specific non-moves on the offensive line and this dude says they wanted to get younger on the line. Really? Your qb is 36 years old. your defense is full of vets who might be at their peak. You have Collins, Beckham, and your best two linemen approaching free agency. The team was 11-5 and had most pieces in place. But let's wait and develop the fucking offensive line. Can you use the 25th amendment on a football gm?

This season's failure is on Reese... I do think this team is not as bad as it's record suggests... but when your #1 unit sucks donkey balls, it's going to domino the entire team... if your offense can't run the ball and your QB is waiting to get killed 2 seconds after the snap, you have no fucking prayer... It doesn't matter that you have ODB, BM, and Engram out there... they have no time to get open anyway... O is out and your D is working too hard being on the field for so long...

And because of the patch work we were doing trying hard to make things happen, our plays were exposed.. our players went down one after another... not just we don't have an OL... we have no WRs... I'm just glad we got one win.. how I hope we finish 1-15

He's right that we have a good team... but a major component is defective... yes we have a 2017 BMW 750... with a really bad transmission though.

I've resigned to the fact we have a terrible 2017... which is fine.. we need better draft picks anyway...

For aging teams with a QB on the wrong side of 30, you have to build your offense with the offensive line; if not, it's like trying to build a house with a cracked foundation. As a QB gets older, you move to a power OL and a running game. We literally did the exact opposite. This isn't rocket science, but smart guy Reese couldn't figure it out.

I take responsibility.

The problem isn't that it was ignored so much as that Reese can't spot talent at those positions. Pugh is pretty decent, but Richburg is a C+ player and Flowers maybe even less so. Jerry is a backup at best and we still don't really have a RT. As far as linebackers go... look at our drafts the past ten years and show me the playmaker there. We took guys early (Sintim), we took guys in the mid-rounds (Jones, Williams), and we had some guys who are adequate there (Kennard, Goodson). We even brought in some terrible free agents (McClain). But there's no doubt about it, there's much more misses than hits. With 3 interior O-linemen set to hit free agency and our entire linebacking corps minus Goodson set to do the same, is there ANYONE who wants Reese here to retool those units?

Exactly. They either needed to stick with coughlin and give him a shot with the free agent moves or just clear the entire deck and get rid of everyone. We had a ton of cap space, a qb, an elite playmaker on a rookie contract, and good draft capital going into 2016. It would've been an attractive job to lure a quality gm and coach. But no, they just HAD to prove they were right, threw the fans a bone (coughlin--which the fan base was split on anyway), and stubbornly press forward with the same people who brought us a shit load of losing after the last super bowl.

Some of us wanted this two years ago, and were told this would "make us the Cleveland Browns." Well, we've won exactly one more game than the Cleveland Browns. I think it's time to give the clean sweep a shot.

Giants ownership may be the only ones wanting to keep Reese at this point.

I'm just concerned that they'll half-ass it again by getting rid of Reese and keeping McAdoo or vice versa. I would not be surprised at all to see them give both guys the opportunity to turn it around with the eventual high draft picks.

I'm just concerned that they'll half-ass it again by getting rid of Reese and keeping McAdoo or vice versa. I would not be surprised at all to see them give both guys the opportunity to turn it around with the eventual high draft picks.

Honestly I see it happening easily.

They will have a roster turn over, maybe Eli hangs them up but I see Mara giving them both a chance.

"JR is a SB winning GM and McAdoo had one good year and one bad, let's not sink the ship just yet"

will be what Mara's speech will be like when he keeps both those idiots.

Meanwhile Coughlin and Dougie have the Jags finally going in a somewhat upward direction.

Keeps referring to last year and that's part of the problem they assessed this roster, thought hey we were 11-5 we have no needs when this roster was filled with holes. They drafted a TE to stretch the seam, but have said TE running 3 yard flat routes...on 3rd and 6. Doesnt matter they are both coming back because the Mara hates changes and doesnt want to be wrong

Our best hope is the three divisional home games in December. If those games are full of opposing fans that will get mara's attention. Dallas will take over for sure. Philly fans can prob pull it off too. seattle had a great crowd in our stadium and it's only October.

Regarding the team owners

They don't make changes frequently which is good. The argument can be made as to when they should and when, yet it is theirs to make. The sons are not as stubborn as their fathers were on this one and can see that getting rid of Reese is the next step for the organization.

Now until the season ends, they will continue to give their full support for Reese & McAdoo publicly.

Are you suggesting Giants season ticket holders should unload their tickets to opposing fans on the cheap?

I'm saying that many will. Even when the giants are the better team the cowboys fans are everywhere in that stadium

I can totally understand why the FO wouldn't want to make drastic changes at GM and HC... I don't think the Giants winged it when hiring McAdoo... I think they did their due diligence and checked references etc... I get McAdoo hasn't been a great HC or a great leader of the team (personality wise)... there's a lot of learning there and part of me feels once a douche always a douche... but I also feel we are capable of getting better....

Honestly, I think this debacle of a season happened at the perfect time. I personally dont think that Manning is capable of making another Super Bowl run. He has gas left in the tank and the desire but I dont think he has the skill anymore. Plus, hes basically tainted and shell shocked from this offensive line, lack of supporting cast, and gross offensive philosophy.

There are solid prospects coming out of college; we dont have to really debate the need to pick one up, regardless if Webb is on the roster. The need is there; we dont have to toy with the idea that Manning may have one more run left in him. Hes a year closer to his contract expiring, its time to groom the future.

Drizz...I think the only question regarding QB in the offseason is whether you spend a high pick on a QB if Webb is going to be the guy going forward. That pick could be used for a blue chip LT or RB or whatever else if Webb's the guy.

That's the decision that needs made that they may just punt on. Take the QB high, and if the new QB succeeds, Webb is a wasted pick. If Webb succeeds, the new QB is a wasted pick. THat's why Webb needs playing time now. Coming out of the bye would be fantastic given he'll have some extra time to prepare. Likely won't happen though.