SportsWrath

Giants-jets Preseason game 3.

Dragon

Yea the first team looked good on both sides of the ball. Collins is a beast. Still hardly any run game to speak of though. But if they can pass protect Eli the way they did the other night it just might make up for a lack in the run game. And that was without our two best receivers.

First team looked good, but lets not forget this was against the Jets, who will likely be the worst team in football this season. It was still pretty encouraging though.

Fwiw, I'd be far more concerned if we didn't move the ball against the Jets.

It was also really good to see guys stepping up their performances from last week. Engram and Shepard specifically.

My one concern (aside from the obvious) what the hell happened to Jerry? Didn't he spend all last off-season working on improving his strength and technique? Didn't it show to a point last year? What was he doing this off-season that he's fallen so far back to sub-mediocrity?

My takeaways - the Jets are on the clock. Defensive front is their best unit, though, so this was a legitimate test for the OL and they showed improvement. Giant D vs Jet O was a classic mismatch. Nugent making it a closer competition than I hoped for. All those missed extra points last year still scare me. Rooting for the kid.

Fwiw, I'd be far more concerned if we didn't move the ball against the Jets.

It was also really good to see guys stepping up their performances from last week. Engram and Shepard specifically.

My one concern (aside from the obvious) what the hell happened to Jerry? Didn't he spend all last off-season working on improving his strength and technique? Didn't it show to a point last year? What was he doing this off-season that he's fallen so far back to sub-mediocrity?

Jones is going to take his spot. When Jones is in the OLine is much better.

well, about Jerry vs. Jones, I didn't even notice Jones came into the game. I saw the same shit play from the right guard after Jones came in. I mean, the same shit, the dude was getting pushed back fast on every play. I was at home thinking, my god, Jerry sucks!.... and all but the first drive, it wasn't even Jerry, that was Jones.

When I noticed the improvement was when Fluker came in. To my eyes, he was far better than either Jerry or Jones.

And it seems the football people are bearing out what I thought I saw. According to practice reports this week, Jones is back to being a backup, he is not in consideration for a starting role. I didn't hear one way or the other on Fluker though.

well, about Jerry vs. Jones, I didn't even notice Jones came into the game. I saw the same shit play from the right guard after Jones came in. I mean, the same shit, the dude was getting pushed back fast on every play. I was at home thinking, my god, Jerry sucks!.... and all but the first drive, it wasn't even Jerry, that was Jones.

When I noticed the improvement was when Fluker came in. To my eyes, he was far better than either Jerry or Jones.

And it seems the football people are bearing out what I thought I saw. According to practice reports this week, Jones is back to being a backup, he is not in consideration for a starting role. I didn't hear one way or the other on Fluker though.

I actually thought just the opposite. They both played well and both are a huge upgrade over Jerry.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/8/30/16219592/ny-giants-offensive-line-right-guard-john-jerry-brett-jones-dj-fluker-jets-analysis-film

When you watch football again, take note of what the offensive linemen do in pass protection. Are they moving forward or backwards when the ball snaps?

When you watch football again, take note of what the offensive linemen do in pass protection. Are they moving forward or backwards when the ball snaps?

well gosh, I'm not sure, I had never watched football before Saturday. I'll be sure to pay attention next time, thanks!

:P

Seriously though, there are some good film breakdowns that have hit the last few days. When you really, really watch the all-22, Jones didn't look good at all. PFF gave him a 40-something grade this week (not that I'm willing to base my opinion on PFF, but when they're seeing what I'm seeing, then I'll cite them, LOL)

well gosh, I'm not sure, I had never watched football before Saturday. I'll be sure to pay attention next time, thanks!

:P

Seriously though, there are some good film breakdowns that have hit the last few days. When you really, really watch the all-22, Jones didn't look good at all. PFF gave him a 40-something grade this week (not that I'm willing to base my opinion on PFF, but when they're seeing what I'm seeing, then I'll cite them, LOL)

:laugh: