SportsWrath

Let the mock drafts begin!

mastershake

Really fun doing fanspeak mocks. I did 3 of them with their simulators and I learned a lot about some later round prospects as well as how the draft might shake out. I used 3 different "Big Boards" for the site to simulate picks. Here were my results:

Mock 1 - Big Board - CBS

Round 1, pick 10: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

I actually think there is a very good chance the Giants take this guy. He's long, with great athletic ability, and real pass rush skills. He'll be a great blitzer, but he's strong enough and has the frame to be a 3-down linebacker. I almost think he could play SS if he wanted, or DE on third downs. He's a rare athlete. Also considered: Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio State; Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Round 2, pick 40: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

Not much to say here. He has the production, the size, hands, with uncanny speed and lateral agility to be a star at the next level. Can't believe he's here at 40.

Also considered: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame, Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Round 3, pick 71: Kenneth Dixon, RB, LA Tech

Dixon is an interesting player. What stands out the most is his receiving ability, which is top-notch. He has good quickness, but more quick than fast. I actually made a mistake with this pick though, because the RB I like even better than Dixon is Alex Collins from Arkansas, who was available, and if I did it over again he'd be the guy. Collins is muscular and has a running style that reminds me of Marion Barber III, but more athletic. Collins got a lot of mileage at Arkansas, but he has all the tools to be a franchise, 3-down running back, and is a much better pass protector than Dixon.

Also considered: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas, Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor

Round 4, pick 109: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State

There is something about this guy that I am just completely intrigued by. When I look at TE's, I'm always looking for the next "Gronk". Vannett is 6'6", near 260 lbs with great movement, agility, and speed for a man his size. He will also be a two-way TE, he can block. I think Vannett may be the overlooked best TE in this draft class, and if the Giants get him in the 4th round like I did here, I'll be ecstatic.

Also considered: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech, Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

Round 5, pick 149: Graham Glasgow, OG/C, Michigan

I just couldn't pass up on this guy. Glasgow is a clean player. He's spent time at center but can play Guard, and I think he could even play RT. He has very good feet, nice technique, and is a agile man for 6'6", 307 lbs. I like this guy and he shouldn't be available at this pick, but he is, and so it's too good a value to pass up, and offers the great versatility the Giants like, and an awesome name for an O-lineman.

Also considered: Tyvis Powell, FS, Ohio State, Nile Lawrence-Stample, DT, Florida State

Round 6, pick 184: James Cowser, DE, Southern Utah

There's no doubt about it, Cowser is a project at DE. He's a little light at about 250 and at 6'3" with just adequate height, and his short arms. However, Cowser is very athletic; he actually ran the fastest 3-cone at the combine among D-linemen. And he has a huge motor and a nice resume, setting career FCS records for sacks (42.5), and TFL's (80). "They" are saying he's a high work ethic, high character guy. The kind of guy who you take a chance on despite some physical shortcomings.

Also considered, and probably should've picked: Keanu Neal, S, Florida

Next mock coming up.

Mock 2 - Big Board - Fanspeak

Round 1, pick 10: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

What else needs to be said that hasn't already? If you knock him at all, it's that he's a little smaller than you'd like in the age of the longer CB's, but he plays big. He's quick and fast, aggressive, physical, uber-competitive, and he jumps off the screen when you watch film of him. He's the best pure corner in this class, a high floor DB with a chance to be one of the best at his position.

Also considered: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia, Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Round 2, pick 40: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

Guys I had targeted at 40 were all unexpectedly taken earlier. I was hoping one of Josh Doctson, Michael Thomas, or Derrick Henry to fall here, or maybe get really lucky and land Dodd. But not to be. And that's ok. If I were to pick a word to describe Fuller it would be "incendiary". His speed is only described in superlatives. I think he can run the whole route tree. He and Corey Coleman of Baylor are very similar players, but I usually see Fuller mocked a whole round or so later, and I'm not sure why. I'd prefer a bigger receiver to complement OBJ, but the truth is, if you can play, who cares. If you have two receivers outside that can absolutely burn cornerbacks up, then you are winning at this football thing and causing defensive coordinators to lose sleep. Fuller is 6'0" with 4.32 speed. He does have small hands so he will have to do a lot of work with the JUGS to improve on being a hands-catcher and not letting the ball come into his body. If anything, this guy could be a UBER slot receiver.

Also considered: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State, Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas.

Round 3, pick 71: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State

Yeah I'm taking him a full round earlier than I did last mock, partly because my targets were gone, and partly because I don't want him getting away.

Also considered: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (yeah, I like him better than Henry), Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Round 4, pick 109: Maurice Canady, DB, Virginia

My favorites are getting picked earlier so I'm finding other guys I'm intrigued by, and Canady is one of them. He's more of the new DB prototype, at 6'1". Was very productive at UVA, had a ton of pass break-ups, and had a terrific combine, performing well in every event. The knock on him is he needs to be more physical, and I think that's coaching. But he has the tools to stay with his man and may shoot up draft boards because of his athleticism and body style.

Also considered: Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame, Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech (may have picked him if I had a do-over).

Round 5, pick 149: C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame

Because I missed on guys I liked earlier at the RB position, I get Prosise here. And I don't think there's much drop-off. Prosise has a 6'0", 220 lb, NFL ready body. He has a low center of gravity, fluid hips, and great speed. He's inexperienced at the position but was very productive in 2015. He just looks the part. He ran an impressive 4.48 40 at the combine. I like Prosise a lot. He does look a bit indecisive sometimes and that hesitation will cost him at the next level, but when he does go he can move, is a powerful runner, and can make people miss. This is a good value pick here.

Also considered: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU, Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma

Round 6, pick 184: Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson

Ok, ain't happenin'. There's no way Jayron Kearse is going this late in the draft. And honestly, I probably should've taken him back in round 3 or 4. Kearse is 6'4", 216 lbs, he's really athletic, and he has big upside. Sideline to sideline speed. When he wants to be, he looks like he can be a monster, with Kenny Phillips upside. He needs to decide and go. But when he does, he is impressive. He needs some coaching, needs to get a little more aggressive. He's the nephew of "The Freak" Jevon Kearse, formerly of the Tennessee Titans. Adding Hargreaves and Kearse to a backfield with Collins, DRC, and Janoris Jenkins is the stuff dreams are made of.

Also considered: Nile Lawrence-Stample, DT, Florida State, Matt Judon, DE, Grand Valley State

Last mock upcoming later.

Mock 3 - Big Board - Composite Big Board

Just like in the first mock, with Hargreaves gone, it's Floyd.

Also considered: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State, Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson, Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Round 2, pick 40: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

One of the reasons it's easy for me to pass on Elliott in the first is because the value I can get with either Henry in the 2nd or maybe Alex Collins in the 3rd. Hard to put in to words how good a player I believe Henry will be at the next level. I think he's the best RB to come out of Alabama since Shaun Alexander. There's other players I like here, but I can't pass on a guy who can change the entire dynamic of our offense. He can run you over and blow by you. I think he's every bit as good a RB prospect as Elliott, and getting him in the second feels like a draft cheat code.

Also considered: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU, Keanu Neal, S, Florida

Round 3, pick 71: Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech

Really large man with good feet and technique. I think he's a good bet to start right away at RT and could one day play at LT in the NFL. 6'5", 316 lbs. Played against Ogbah and was not overwhelmed. Very strong, fantastic balance. You pair him with Flowers and the tackle positions are taken care of for a long time.

Also considered: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State (hoping to get him in round 4), Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson, Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Round 4, pick 109: Tyvis Powell, S, Ohio State

There was a run on TE's in the third round, or I would've taken Vannett, but I'll take his teammate instead. Powell is a physical specimen at 6'3" and 211 lbs, but he doesn't play with the physicality you would expect of a man his size. He has big time speed at 4.46 timed 40 at the combine, and you can't teach size and speed, and Powell has both. I think his upside is too good to pass up. Could've even taken his teammate, S Vonn Bell here, a very clean player, who plays with more dog in him than Powell, but Bell is a bit light in the pants at 199, and 5'11", nonetheless I think you get a good player with either man here, but I think Powell just has more upside.

Also considered: Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State, Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas, Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas, Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Round 5, pick 149: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech

I had overlooked White but that's my mistake. I really, really like White. He has great football speed, good instincts, very athletic, seems to be a high character guy, and is relentless. Team captain, which the Giants will like, and 3 year starter. I think White is going to be a starting corner for a team very early in his career, and be a great pro.

Also considered: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama, DeMarcus Robinson, WR, Florida, Matt Judon, DE, Grand Valley State

Round 6, pick 184: Beau Sandland, TE, Montana State

There once was a Giant TE that made a big play in Super Bowl XLII, from a small school, Western Oregon. Sandland reminds me a little of The Bossman. Can the Sandman continue his Giants' legacy of small school TE's from out west? He's 6'4", 253 lbs. He's a graceful runner with plus athleticism. This guy signed to play with the University of Miami (Florida), but wanted to play closer to home. He has the ability to be a good player in the NFL. Soft hands, and a good route runner that can threaten the seam. Did very well in all the drills at the combine, including the top broad jump of all TE's, at 10'4", and a very respectable 4.74 40. I'm very intrigued by his athleticism, will be a work in progress in inline blocking, though.

So that's it! Let's hear it... flame away or compliment.... which mock did you like the best/worst? Where did I go wrong? And what picks do you love?

I'm completely against drafting anyone named Jayron ever again.

Only complaint I have is the lack of OL. One 1 out of all 3 mocks.

Actually I took 2. Graham Glasgow and Le'Raven Clark. But part of that is we only have 6 picks this year. You can't plug every hole with 6 picks. I do like Clark... and I almost took him in two mocks, and acknowledged I probably should've taken him in Mock 2 in the 4th round over CB Canady, especially since I took Hargreaves in the first, but I still like Canady and think the Giants can afford to take 2 DBs in this draft if they want. The other side of it is that there weren't many places where I felt there was value for an OL to be taken, especially relative to the other positions available. I was more surprised that the only defensive end I took was in mock 1, and it was with the last pick.

I am pretty against taking an offensive player in the first round at their draft position. I believe Hargreaves or Floyd will be there and both are too good to pass up in favor of an offensive lineman. But I think the Giants will address RT in free agency (or trade) still, and am not as worried about it as much as some are.

Dragon, was there one that you like particularly more than the others?

They're not taking a roster spot if they're on IR. You really have no argument here.

Yeah, guys like Kuhn, Hosley, Moore, Robinson etc were really worthy of those roster spots, and Jackson, Thompson, and Taylor make everyone confident at the safety position.

Actually I took 2. Graham Glasgow and Le'Raven Clark. But part of that is we only have 6 picks this year. You can't plug every hole with 6 picks. I do like Clark... and I almost took him in two mocks, and acknowledged I probably should've taken him in Mock 2 in the 4th round over CB Canady, especially since I took Hargreaves in the first, but I still like Canady and think the Giants can afford to take 2 DBs in this draft if they want. The other side of it is that there weren't many places where I felt there was value for an OL to be taken, especially relative to the other positions available. I was more surprised that the only defensive end I took was in mock 1, and it was with the last pick.

I am pretty against taking an offensive player in the first round at their draft position. I believe Hargreaves or Floyd will be there and both are too good to pass up in favor of an offensive lineman. But I think the Giants will address RT in free agency (or trade) still, and am not as worried about it as much as some are.

Dragon, was there one that you like particularly more than the others?

I missed the one in the first mock.

But I'm worried about the OL as much as any other position of need we have. The last thing I want to see is Jerry and Newhouse starting again. I swear Newhouse was on his back on damn near every snap last season.

At this point if Tunsil isn't there at 10 (which he won't be) I completely agree with you about the lack of ol value, but whether the draft or through free agency we need to make a move.

Yeah, guys like Kuhn, Hosley, Moore, Robinson etc were really worthy of those roster spots, and Jackson, Thompson, and Taylor make everyone confident at the safety position.

Moore WAS cut. Kuhn and Hosley were back-ups who were playing after the starters got hurt. You think we should cut our back-ups...and then do what?

I missed the one in the first mock.

But I'm worried about the OL as much as any other position of need we have. The last thing I want to see is Jerry and Newhouse starting again. I swear Newhouse was on his back on damn near every snap last season.

At this point if Tunsil isn't there at 10 (which he won't be) I completely agree with you about the lack of ol value, but whether the draft or through free agency we need to make a move.

I'm not worried about OL at all. No matter who they draft they will still be starting Newhouse and Jerry. I think they solve it in free agency somehow

I'm not worried about OL at all. No matter who they draft they will still be starting Newhouse and Jerry. I think they solve it in free agency somehow

If that's the case we're pretty much saying that we're going to forget trying to compete this year. The OL IS a problem, but it's hidden by the fact that Beckham turns 7 yard slants into 85 yard TDs on a regular basis. There's no balance to the offense and that starts with a less than mediocre OL. The left side is fine, but the 2 we have penciled in to start on the right are backups at their best.

If that's the case we're pretty much saying that we're going to forget trying to compete this year. The OL IS a problem, but it's hidden by the fact that Beckham turns 7 yard slants into 85 yard TDs on a regular basis. There's no balance to the offense and that starts with a less than mediocre OL. The left side is fine, but the 2 we have penciled in to start on the right are backups at their best.

Free agency this year didn't offer a suitable candidate for the Giants to pursue... the one the FO pursued didn't work out... so now they turn their attention to the draft... then future cuts by other teams and I wouldn't even rule out a trade as slim as that may be.... I don't think anyone in the organization is satisfied with the right side of the line...

Yet, if they're dud players, they're clogging up vital roster spots and stopping Reese from signing better players.

well sure, but who exactly are these 'better players'?

V, in the case of Kuhn, Hosley, and at least a couple of those safeties, you aren't talking about the scrub at the fringe of the roster, you're talking about a guy who earned snaps. Moore WAS cut, Robinson was not resigned.

I don't think you're offering solutions, I think you're just complaining.

Free agency this year didn't offer a suitable candidate for the Giants to pursue... the one the FO pursued didn't work out... so now they turn their attention to the draft... then future cuts by other teams and I wouldn't even rule out a trade as slim as that may be.... I don't think anyone in the organization is satisfied with the right side of the line...

I was banging the table for Brandon Brooks, but he went to Philly. As far as I know we didn't/couldn't even bring him in for a visit. Now we're hoping that Hart (a OT through all of college) can successfully convert to RG and beat out Jerry.

Maybe I'm just pissed that we literally haven't done anything since the first 2-3 days of free agency, but I don't like that we had opportunities to fill at least one of the starting ol spots and couldn't get it done.

I was banging the table for Brandon Brooks, but he went to Philly. As far as I know we didn't/couldn't even bring him in for a visit. Now we're hoping that Hart (a OT through all of college) can successfully convert to RG and beat out Jerry.

Maybe I'm just pissed that we literally haven't done anything since the first 2-3 days of free agency, but I don't like that we had opportunities to fill at least one of the starting ol spots and couldn't get it done.

Look, I get it... but this is how the chips fell.. we made a huge splash in FA and the first couple of hours was (as always) where the frenzy was... After that there's a lot of yawning and a lot of overpriced players or players who just don't fit... The offseason is still young and I'm very happy with what we've done so far.

Look, I get it... but this is how the chips fell.. we made a huge splash in FA and the first couple of hours was (as always) where the frenzy was... After that there's a lot of yawning and a lot of overpriced players or players who just don't fit... The offseason is still young and I'm very happy with what we've done so far.

I'm not trying to downplay what we have done, but I'm not going to be satisfied until we fix what we haven't.

That being said, if we're picking from Bosa, Jack, Hargreaves, Buckner, and Stanley (hypothetically) I'm gonna be upset if Stanley is the name that we turn in.

That being said, if we're picking from Bosa, Jack, Hargreaves, Buckner, and Stanley (hypothetically) I'm gonna be upset if Stanley is the name that we turn in.

That would be an insane first nine picks if it plays out that way.

I'm not trying to downplay what we have done, but I'm not going to be satisfied until we fix what we haven't.

I too won't be happy with Stanley... but (as mentioned in the Eagles thread) between OT (forgot his name... slated to be the first pick), 2 Qbs, Dallas taking the RB out of Ohio, Bosa, Jack, Hargreaves, Buckner... it's going to be close.. and I have to wonder what other teams' needs are...

I too won't be happy with Stanley... but (as mentioned in the Eagles thread) between OT (forgot his name... slated to be the first pick), 2 Qbs, Dallas taking the RB out of Ohio, Bosa, Jack, Hargreaves, Buckner... it's going to be close.. and I have to wonder what other teams' needs are...

Tunsil. And the draft is going to be amazingly interesting.

well sure, but who exactly are these 'better players'?

V, in the case of Kuhn, Hosley, and at least a couple of those safeties, you aren't talking about the scrub at the fringe of the roster, you're talking about a guy who earned snaps. Moore WAS cut, Robinson was not resigned.

I don't think you're offering solutions, I think you're just complaining.

Lol, I'm definitely bitching about Reese's inability to put together a solid roster and fill gaps. Isn't that a given? I'm not very happy with his recent past 4-5 years of drafts and FA moves.

I'm not going to go back and backfill potential past free agent moves, but for this year's free agency and going into the draft, he should try and sign S Reggie Nelson for a year or two, CB depth, a right side of the OL, and WR depth (e.g. Brandon Lafell). I'd then feel comfortable going into the draft and supplementing the roster even further from there.

We'll see. He could be planning to fill these spots in FA, and is currently just waiting so as not to outbid himself.

Lol, I'm definitely bitching about Reese's inability to put together a solid roster and fill gaps. Isn't that a given? I'm not very happy with his recent past 4-5 years of drafts and FA moves.

I'm not going to go back and backfill potential past free agent moves, but for this year's free agency and going into the draft, he should try and sign S Reggie Nelson for a year or two, CB depth, a right side of the OL, and WR depth (e.g. Brandon Lafell). I'd then feel comfortable going into the draft and supplementing the roster even further from there.

We'll see. He could be planning to fill these spots in FA, and is currently just waiting so as not to outbid himself.

Plus the fact that a lot of teams end up cutting players after the draft when they see who they get in training camp as well.

Mock 3 - Big Board - Composite Big Board

Just like in the first mock, with Hargreaves gone, it's Floyd.

Also considered: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State, Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson, Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Round 2, pick 40: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

One of the reasons it's easy for me to pass on Elliott in the first is because the value I can get with either Henry in the 2nd or maybe Alex Collins in the 3rd. Hard to put in to words how good a player I believe Henry will be at the next level. I think he's the best RB to come out of Alabama since Shaun Alexander. There's other players I like here, but I can't pass on a guy who can change the entire dynamic of our offense. He can run you over and blow by you. I think he's every bit as good a RB prospect as Elliott, and getting him in the second feels like a draft cheat code.

Also considered: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU, Keanu Neal, S, Florida

Round 3, pick 71: Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech

Really large man with good feet and technique. I think he's a good bet to start right away at RT and could one day play at LT in the NFL. 6'5", 316 lbs. Played against Ogbah and was not overwhelmed. Very strong, fantastic balance. You pair him with Flowers and the tackle positions are taken care of for a long time.

Also considered: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State (hoping to get him in round 4), Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson, Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Round 4, pick 109: Tyvis Powell, S, Ohio State

There was a run on TE's in the third round, or I would've taken Vannett, but I'll take his teammate instead. Powell is a physical specimen at 6'3" and 211 lbs, but he doesn't play with the physicality you would expect of a man his size. He has big time speed at 4.46 timed 40 at the combine, and you can't teach size and speed, and Powell has both. I think his upside is too good to pass up. Could've even taken his teammate, S Vonn Bell here, a very clean player, who plays with more dog in him than Powell, but Bell is a bit light in the pants at 199, and 5'11", nonetheless I think you get a good player with either man here, but I think Powell just has more upside.

Also considered: Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State, Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas, Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas, Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Round 5, pick 149: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech

I had overlooked White but that's my mistake. I really, really like White. He has great football speed, good instincts, very athletic, seems to be a high character guy, and is relentless. Team captain, which the Giants will like, and 3 year starter. I think White is going to be a starting corner for a team very early in his career, and be a great pro.

Also considered: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama, DeMarcus Robinson, WR, Florida, Matt Judon, DE, Grand Valley State

Round 6, pick 184: Beau Sandland, TE, Montana State

There once was a Giant TE that made a big play in Super Bowl XLII, from a small school, Western Oregon. Sandland reminds me a little of The Bossman. Can the Sandman continue his Giants' legacy of small school TE's from out west? He's 6'4", 253 lbs. He's a graceful runner with plus athleticism. This guy signed to play with the University of Miami (Florida), but wanted to play closer to home. He has the ability to be a good player in the NFL. Soft hands, and a good route runner that can threaten the seam. Did very well in all the drills at the combine, including the top broad jump of all TE's, at 10'4", and a very respectable 4.74 40. I'm very intrigued by his athleticism, will be a work in progress in inline blocking, though.

So that's it! Let's hear it... flame away or compliment.... which mock did you like the best/worst? Where did I go wrong? And what picks do you love?

Get that 1st pick out of your head. Will never happen.