SportsWrath

Eagles to interview Tom Coughlin for head coach position

BleedinBlue

Do you really believe the Giants, who in reality, at minimum "mutually parted ways" with Coughlin, are the kind of organization that would keep him from coaching another team, ANY team? There won't be even any compensation.... the compensation is the Giants won't have to pay him the final year of his deal, which TC might not even want regardless. The Giants aren't going to hold TC back from something he wants to do, they have to much respect for the man and they believe in doing right by people regardless. If the Eagles want him, and he wants to coach them, he'll be their next coach, no doubt in my mind.

If the Eagles pick someone else, it will be because one of the two parties thought that it wasn't the right fit.

I see this exactly like tagging a player prior to free agency. He is under contract, and if someone else really wants him then we should be compensated. This is entirely about respect. Why would acquiring the services of Sean Payton have a price tag while Tom Coughlin should be free? Letting him go to divisional or conference opponent is not smart.

Do you really believe the Giants, who in reality, at minimum "mutually parted ways" with Coughlin, are the kind of organization that would keep him from coaching another team, ANY team? There won't be even any compensation.... the compensation is the Giants won't have to pay him the final year of his deal, which TC might not even want regardless. The Giants aren't going to hold TC back from something he wants to do, they have to much respect for the man and they believe in doing right by people regardless. If the Eagles want him, and he wants to coach them, he'll be their next coach, no doubt in my mind.

If the Eagles pick someone else, it will be because one of the two parties thought that it wasn't the right fit.

I would be shocked if it's anything more than a courtesy interview.

I don't think the Giants are just going to let Tom Coughlin coach the Philadelphia Eagles if it were to reach that point. There is being nice and then there is business.

the better business plan would of been to axe Reese and keep coughlin.

the better business plan would of been to axe Reese and keep coughlin.

True which makes me wonder why Tom Coughlin stepped down before giving the organization time to make that decision. Rumor has it Mara wanted to keep Coughlin but who knows where they stood on Reese.

The only way I could see it happening is if they really liked McAdoo, but want him to be groomed for a year or two more before they hand the reins to him, or want an "assistant head coach" under McAdoo.

They might also just be picking TC's brain to see what he thought of Mac.

Exactly my thought. Also what I said about the Giants and McAdoo. It's why I don't think they are at all serious about him replacing Coughlin, if they were they would of just let TC finish out his contract and named McAdoo HC for 2017

Would this be a factor? The Giants don't want to lose MaCadoo to anyone feeling he would be their next HC seeing how well he turned ELI around? Knowing they only have Coughlin locked up til '16 plus given the last 4 years playoff drought and the handling of the Beckham sittuation.

I do think Beckham going off is what ultimately cost Coughlin his job. I mean how do you not know the guy responsible forsetting your offense back 15 yards a few times. I don't think they want any of the former staff personally

I don't think it was one thing or another... the culmination of the last 3 years... plus plus plus... it amazes me this team could have been 11-5.... it amazes me this team almost beat the NE and the Jets and and and... Coughlin stopped taking care of the little things... and little things in life are what matter...

I do think Beckham going off is what ultimately cost Coughlin his job. I mean how do you not know the guy responsible forsetting your offense back 15 yards a few times. I don't think they want any of the former staff personally

I kind of think that too. That was really embarrassing to the organization and look at that game... Norman goes off and Keuchley comes to talk to him. Then Tillman. Then Cam Newton.

The Giants? Some assistant you've never heard of said something to Beckham... no Eli, no Coughlin. No leaders on this team. He never had a seat for a series to cool off, nothing. The fact Coughlin didn't even know that Beckham had been flagged was even more embarrassing.

For all the "woe-is-me" hand-wringing on this board about Coughlin, it was time for him to go. Keep some of your legacy and reputation intact.

I kind of think that too. That was really embarrassing to the organization and look at that game... Norman goes off and Keuchley comes to talk to him. Then Tillman. Then Cam Newton.

The Giants? Some assistant you've never heard of said something to Beckham... no Eli, no Coughlin. No leaders on this team. He never had a seat for a series to cool off, nothing. The fact Coughlin didn't even know that Beckham had been flagged was even more embarrassing.

For all the "woe-is-me" hand-wringing on this board about Coughlin, it was time for him to go. Keep some of your legacy and reputation intact.

Eli said he talked to him in the huddle.

and Coughlin is my favorite coach of all-time, one of my favorite overall giants of all-time. I will let it go when and if I decide to let it go.

That makes 3 of us. He should have sat him instead of denying knowledge of his actions. He sit's OBJ, he coaches another year. May not have been the be all, end all, but it certainly stacked up when you pile it on.

I think Coughlin's undoing was 3-fold.

1. It was the culmination of too many non-playoff years.

2. It was the fact that a number of games could've been won this season with different coaching decisions (time management, play selection, informing QB to take a sack instead of incomplete pass, etc.)

3. The handling of OBJ was the icing on the cake, the tipping point. Beckham should've had to sit a full quarter at minimum for his antics. Coughlin was hired to win football games, but also to lead a group of men. In his dealing with Beckham, Coughlin showed that winning trumps all....and the Giants it seems, rank 'how they compete' as number 1 with 'winning' coming in at #1a.

I think Coughlin's undoing was 3-fold.

1. It was the culmination of too many non-playoff years.

2. It was the fact that a number of games could've been won this season with different coaching decisions (time management, play selection, informing QB to take a sack instead of incomplete pass, etc.)

3. The handling of OBJ was the icing on the cake, the tipping point. Beckham should've had to sit a full quarter at minimum for his antics. Coughlin was hired to win football games, but also to lead a group of men. In his dealing with Beckham, Coughlin showed that winning trumps all....and the Giants it seems, rank 'how they compete' as number 1 with 'winning' coming in at #1a.

Exactly!!!!

I see this exactly like tagging a player prior to free agency. He is under contract, and if someone else really wants him then we should be compensated. This is entirely about respect. Why would acquiring the services of Sean Payton have a price tag while Tom Coughlin should be free? Letting him go to divisional or conference opponent is not smart.

Couple of reasons why:

Sean Payton only theoretically had a price tag.

Payton remained with the team.

Payton did not resign.

Payton did not get fired.

The Giants are a much classier organization than the Saints.

Finally, as Mara put it in the press conference, Coughlin's exit from the team was "mutual". He "resigned" because the Giants respect him and what he's done for the organization. Had he not resigned, I don't think for a second he wouldn't have been fired.

You and I may want compensation for Coughlin coaching another team, but I would be shocked if the Giants did that, as he is no longer the coach of the Giants... they aren't going to put up other barriers to prevent him from coaching elsewhere, even inside the division. Even if you remove all of that, why would the Giants want to pay two head coaches next season?

Plus, we missed the playoffs for 4 straight seasons with him... they can miss the playoffs with him, too.

Couple of reasons why:

Sean Payton only theoretically had a price tag.

Payton remained with the team.

Payton did not resign.

Payton did not get fired.

The Giants are a much classier organization than the Saints.

Finally, as Mara put it in the press conference, Coughlin's exit from the team was "mutual". He "resigned" because the Giants respect him and what he's done for the organization. Had he not resigned, I don't think for a second he wouldn't have been fired.

You and I may want compensation for Coughlin coaching another team, but I would be shocked if the Giants did that, as he is no longer the coach of the Giants... they aren't going to put up other barriers to prevent him from coaching elsewhere, even inside the division. Even if you remove all of that, why would the Giants want to pay two head coaches next season?

Plus, we missed the playoffs for 4 straight seasons with him... they can miss the playoffs with him, too.

Money isn't an issue. I'm sure the Giants have no problem letting Tom interview, lets see what happens at the next phase.