SportsWrath

That loss is 100% on Coughlin

JMFP

Beckham was doubled, he was not open. However, the decision to throw it where he did was asinine, reckless, and not totally unexpected, since we've seen that kind of decision many times before down by the end zone. The decision to go for it I didn't have a problem with. You live with the consequences of a decision like that, but at the time, it was a decision to go up 3 scores, when you're up two, and a FG would still have you only up two. So no issue with the call, it's just we have a QB that makes questionable decisions with the football often.

I don't believe anyone said he was open.

I don't have any problems with being aggressive there. What I have problems with are the same, inept, insane, playcalls to try to score in the red zone and close out the final four minutes of a game. It's the same old bullshit that hasn't worked the last 5 games we've blown in the final 2 minutes of the game.

How about getting creative and drawing up plays designed to get Odell Beckham open in the red zone instead of trying to constantly force in to Reuben Randle? And how many times are they going to force a pass to Reuben Randle only to see it get intercepted until they realize that the man can't run routes? How about designing some plays a la the Saints game (or was it Cowboys, round 2?) where Beckham gets open on a pick play? That is literally the only use that Randle has in the red zone...to get in the fucking way because that's all he fucking does.

And I am so fucking sick and tired of Ben McAdoo's playcalling....already. I'm pretty sure that the man only runs the ball because he's been told once that you're supposed to. We never, ever run in any formation other than the shotgun. He never, ever calls a sweep or off-tackle. And just the running back by committee situation is asinine. Andre Williams is the guy you choose to feature when you finally decide to feature someone!? Are you fucking oblivious, Ben McAdoo?! The running game isn't great, but it's rendered completely ineffective because he can't ever give a guy some time to warm up....some time to see what the defense is doing in real game situations....to see how his line is blocking and how the holes and creases are forming.

I do.

Because the Giants:

A) Suck

B) Should have learned their lesson after they gambled and got burned 4x already this season.

This team is 5-7 because of a weak roster and some very questionable late game decisions. The former is on Reese, the latter on Coughlin.

I can completely understand the logic and I really don't think it's that bad of a decision, or the reason we lost the game, whatsoever.

The team can't hold anyone in the 4th quarter, that wouldn't have mattered if we were up 3 more points. The game is definitely won by going up 3 scores, though. Put the blame on the call and the execution. And the same ole, same ole, other Coughlin bullshit.

I can completely understand the logic and I really don't think it's that bad of a decision, or the reason we lost the game, whatsoever.

The team can't hold anyone in the 4th quarter, that wouldn't have mattered if we were up 3 more points. The game is definitely won by going up 3 scores, though. Put the blame on the call and the execution. And the same ole, same ole, other Coughlin bullshit.

Defense can't hold a lead....so you make the lead 13, you don't gamble and leave them a 10 point lead and a charged up Jets team.

Coughlin doesn't have a roster to match his swagger.

So they can just come down and score two touchdowns and win anyway? You said it yourself, the results the last several times spoke for themselves. I can completely understand trying to win the game right there. The conservative method hasn't work all season, now we know that the gambling method doesn't work, either. We can at least rest assured that the team is just fucking terrible and it doesn't matter what they do, they rightfully lose.

This team has never been good enough this season to ever take points off the board. No offense, but you guys watched the first few games this season when we are in the "Green Zone" and turned the ball over. How many games did that cost us?. It was a dumb call, plain and simple.

This team right now doesn't have the ability to beat Carolina at home or Minnesota on the road. I'm not even mad at Tom much, he tried. He did what everyone on this board was yelling at him for years to do, and he brought in the offensive guru and brought back the defensive God. And what we've found out is we have a guy who on has no run plays designed for 3rd and short and the 2nd coming of Spags has no variation in his playcalling knowing full well he doesn't have the line. The best area on the team right now is special teams which in itself is amazing. I don't see any magic this season, where is it possibly coming from?. It's okay because a new regime is needed and now's the time, even if it meant we move on from Eli even. There's a good group of young players here amongst the crap to build off of.

Coughlin is a great coach. There is no question. But someone's head is going to roll on this and I think it has to be both his and Reese's. I thought Reese might be safe last week, but it's just unforgivable how these losses are coming. It's pulling defeat from the jaws of victory...constantly.

Whomever stated that Coughlin should 'retire' in the same way that Gilbride 'retired' hit the nail on the head. And really, it won't happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to firing Coughlin now and giving McAdoo the reigns until the end of the season. Let it essentially be a head coach job interview. See what he's got from that aspect. I'm not advocating hiring him as a HC, just getting some real time evaluation in...that's all.

What is somewhat scary to me, is that this team has enough flaws in it right now, that I'm getting to the point where Eli's window is closing. We just gave him an extension, so he's not going anywhere...but I'm not sure we're going to be able to build the rest of what's needed before his contract is up. I believe it's 2020 that he's signed through...so then again, with a successful draft this season that addresses both the running game AND the defensive front, maybe things can turn around. We'll have significant free agent money to spend and seemingly a high draft pick if they lose the next 4 and finish 5-10. So I guess there is some opportunity to make one last serious run at it with Eli.

As for the comment on Nassib...I agree completely. While Eli has had elite moments in his career, so too did Kerry Collins. One of the defining characteristics of elite is consistency and raising the play of those around you. I really don't think Eli has mastered either.

Whomever stated that Coughlin should 'retire' in the same way that Gilbride 'retired' hit the nail on the head. And really, it won't happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to firing Coughlin now and giving McAdoo the reigns until the end of the season. Let it essentially be a head coach job interview. See what he's got from that aspect. I'm not advocating hiring him as a HC, just getting some real time evaluation in...that's all.

Please tell me you're not serious.

McAdoo is part of the problem, not the solution... and the Giants never fire coaches mid-season.

Again, I'm not advocating for McAdoo in any way. I was hoping he'd have shown more than he has at this point...so yeah, I'm disappointed with him thus far. But I also think he was brought in as a potential replacement for Coughlin and that he should be evaluated as such in real game situations before we go into the offseason, fire Coughlin, and only have a HC interview to go from with McAdoo.

Nothing more than additional information gathering for an offseason where the HC will be replaced.

Not sure why the defense is taking so much criticism. They gave their team a chance to win like they've done almost all year long. They shut down the Jets run game and allowed 10 points per half.

This, when the offense can't possess the ball for any length of time and give them a break, and only musters 14 first downs. Just 3 in the first half. Look at the drives. Try holding down the offense when u have to go right back on the field because the offense can't get a first down. The defense gave up 10 points per half. They are doing this with one good pass rusher and zero good deep safeties. Spagnuolo's side of the ball played a great game. My criticism would be that DRC has to be on Marshall, not Decker. But maybe there is something we don't know. Decker did have 8 catches and 101 yards. I think DRC is just not healthy and that ankle is the likely culprit.

Not sure why the defense is taking so much criticism. They gave their team a chance to win like they've done almost all year long. They shut down the Jets run game and allowed 10 points per half.

This, when the offense can't possess the ball for any length of time and give them a break, and only musters 14 first downs. Just 3 in the first half. Look at the drives. Try holding down the offense when u have to go right back on the field because the offense can't get a first down. The defense gave up 10 points per half. They are doing this with one good pass rusher and zero good deep safeties. Spagnuolo's side of the ball played a great game. My criticism would be that DRC has to be on Marshall, not Decker. But maybe there is something we don't know. Decker did have 8 catches and 101 yards. I think DRC is just not healthy and that ankle is the likely culprit.

100% agreed.

Hope you're right about drc being hurt because otherwise not putting him on Marshall is a total head scratcher. Agreed on your assessment of the defense. Our problem this year is the offense. Sheldon Richardson put it best in his post game interview that we don't score unless we get a big play from beckham, the defense or our special teams and we're not a 12 play drive for a td team. It's really tough to watch

Haha yep, with the Giants, you know that even if they string together an 8 play drive they will either move backwards with penalties and punt at the 38 or get stuck inside the 5 because they have an aversion to the goal line and refuse to try to throw it into the end zone from say, the 15 yard line.

They are an 8 play and field goal team, provided they can get out of their own way.

Hope you're right about drc being hurt because otherwise not putting him on Marshall is a total head scratcher. Agreed on your assessment of the defense. Our problem this year is the offense. Sheldon Richardson put it best in his post game interview that we don't score unless we get a big play from beckham, the defense or our special teams and we're not a 12 play drive for a td team. It's really tough to watch

Honestly Prince matches up better with Marshall for a whole game. DRC matches better with him in certain spots.

But Marshall is one of the most physical WRs if not the most physical WR in the NFL, if DRC has any weakness its that he isn't the most physical. Although DRC has the size (which is why they played him on Marshall some snaps) he can't physicLly battle Marshall a whole game. DRC is elite amongst the speed guys.

Prince, one of his biggest strengths his how physical he is and his tackling for a CB so him on MarshAll I didnt hVe much issue with in most situations.

Again, I'm not advocating for McAdoo in any way. I was hoping he'd have shown more than he has at this point...so yeah, I'm disappointed with him thus far. But I also think he was brought in as a potential replacement for Coughlin and that he should be evaluated as such in real game situations before we go into the offseason, fire Coughlin, and only have a HC interview to go from with McAdoo.

Nothing more than additional information gathering for an offseason where the HC will be replaced.

That makes more sense... but I think when you're evaluating a guy, you make sure he's competent at his current job before you consider him for a promotion.

Honestly Prince matches up better with Marshall for a whole game. DRC matches better with him in certain spots.

But Marshall is one of the most physical WRs if not the most physical WR in the NFL, if DRC has any weakness its that he isn't the most physical. Although DRC has the size (which is why they played him on Marshall some snaps) he can't physicLly battle Marshall a whole game. DRC is elite amongst the speed guys.

Prince, one of his biggest strengths his how physical he is and his tackling for a CB so him on MarshAll I didnt hVe much issue with in most situations.

Prince would've been fine too. Mcbride is not a great matchup in the end zone though

I just can't get over the fact that if Eli had just placed the throw to Nicks in front of him instead of low and behind, Nicks would have walked in for a TD and we'd be all smiles today.

You could blame the game on any number of plays, I know, but that one really erks me.

Tough game to watch, one that you can look back on at the end of this season and say this is the one that cost Tom Coughlin his job. He wanted to be aggressive and go for the touchdown and should have went for the field goal. Our offense just isn't that good because it lacks consistency and balance.

Unfortunately you guys think Coughlin goes and so does Reese but it is not going to happen so continue crying. Tom Coughlin has gotten more out of this team than anyone else could have hoped for the last few years and the lack of talent falls on Reese. The 2012 Super Bowl is the last gift we are getting for a long time.