SportsWrath

Official Draft Thread

Mr. P

Bleedin', I think Pdub might like to poke the bear a bit, but I don't think it's with ill intent. I just think that's his sense of humor. And sometimes, it's funny to get a rise out of people. I understand after that thread about the homeless Lebowski in Binghamton things were a little out of control, but honestly, water should be under the bridge on that by now, and I'm sure for Pdub it is.

You both are good people. Let's get back to football! How much do you know about this TE Jesse James? I know he's huge but that's about it. I think he could be the guy.

It's personal Jim and I don't want to go back to where he went off on the deep end over me. I thought he'd be over it. He apparently isn't. I'll leave it at that.

Jesse James is huge 6'7" 270, and would be the top TE in the draft next year if he hadn't come out early. He's a freak athlete for his size. Fast, strong, pushed up 1 less bench rep than O'Leary who had the most. However O'Leary is 6'3 with shorter arms. James is a great blocker and has great hands. He needs seasoning and could've used one more year in school.

2015 NFL Draft: Texas DB Mykkele Thompson scouting report

By Wescott Eberts @SBN_Wescott on Apr 28, 2015, 5:54p 2

usa-today-8192550.0.jpg
Brendan Maloney-USA TODAY Sports

The former high school quarterback finally became a true football player a senior.

In the course of two crunching hits against the West Virginia Mountaineers last fall,Texas Longhorns defensive back Mykkele Thompson finally started to erase questions about his physicality.

The former high school quarterback was much-maligned by Longhorns fans throughout his career for giving up big plays at safety and often failing to demonstrate much physicality as a tackler, leading many to pine for Thompson to once again have the football in his hands offensively.

Those two tackles in November heralded a new Thompson, however, one who had finally become a true football player, not just an track athlete on the gridiron.

Thompson didn't manage to set his career high in tackles as a senior, as his 69 stops came up two short of the mark he set as a junior, but spending time playing cornerback helped cause that decrease. After finally deciding to wear contacts midway through the year, Thompson averaged seven tackles per game over the last seven games and came up with his second career interception against Texas Tech.

Here are his Texas Pro Timing Day results:

40 time Vert Broad jump Short shuttle 3-cone Bench 4.48 seconds 36 inches 10 feet 9 inches 4.45 seconds 6.89 seconds 18 reps

Out of high school, Thompson was a consensus four-star prospect ranked as the No. 180 prospect, the No. 15 athlete, and the No. 25 player in Texas, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. A running quarterback at San Antonio Stevens, Thompson rushed for nearly 3,000 yards in high school and scored 40 rushing touchdowns.

Year G/GS TT (Solo) TFL Sacks INT QBP PBU FF FR High 2011 13/0 13 (7) 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 4/TT 2012 13/6 59 (31) 1-1 0-0 0 0 1 1 1 12/2x 2013 13/12 72 (39) 2-4 0.5-3 1 1 0 0 0 8/2x 2014 13/13 69 (48) 4-9 0.5-5 1 0 2 1 0 11/ISU Career 52/31 213 (125) 7-14 1.0-8 2 1 3 2 1 12/2x Strengths
  • Tackling -- Thompson became a physical presence as a tackler during his senior season, improving in his willingness and technique.
  • Versatility -- As a senior, the San Antonio product played both safety and cornerback at a competent level, including nickel corner, a position he wouldn't have been able to handle in the past because of its need for physicality.
  • Straight-line speed -- The strong vertical leap in March backs up the sub-4.5 40-yard dash from Thompson, exactly the type of recovery speed needed for cornerbacks.
Weaknesses
  • Tweener frame -- Thompson is tall for a cornerback at 6'0.5, but his relatively thin frame makes him small for a safety in the NFL.
  • Lack of playmaking -- With only two interceptions and two forced fumbles in his career, Thompson failed to consistently create the type of momentum-changing plays that scouts want to see from NFL prospects.
  • Fluidity -- When compared to teammate Quandre Diggs at the Texas Pro Timing Day, Thompson wasn't nearly as efficient in flipping his hips to turn in coverage and lost speed while doing so, raising questions about his ability to play cornerback at the next level.
  • Takes poor angles -- Though it didn't happen nearly as much as a senior, Thompson gave up numerous big plays early in his career because he didn't take conservative-enough angles to the football in pass coverage.
Draft projection -- Undrafted free agent

Thompson faces a difficult task to even end up on a practice squad, as he's rated as the No. 664 prospect overall by NFLDraftScout.com.

Mykkele Thompson 6'2", 183, 4.42 - 40yd, Free Safety

Mykkele_Thompson.jpg

The Giants must know something we don't. Nice size and fast, but next to nothing on him. Here's a link to a story on him that he had trouble because he couldn't see well

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/11/4/7158139/mykkele-thompson-contacts-texas-longhorns-interceptions

I guess when you hit 3 homeruns in a row, maybe a bunt is in order. Very confusing. Not rated in the top 250 players. Hope the scouts know something.

You never know with these later round guys. I noticed Rashad Greene was taken 139 by the Jaguars, I think, so he wasn't even an option. Maybe Jesse James in the 6th?

I'm really hoping the Giants satisfy my homerism in taking a Florida State Seminole. Another guy whose game reminds me of Brandon Jacobs is RB Karlos Williams. Think legs, runs a little high, but has good speed and is a tackle breaker.

Lol, can't hit a homer on every at bat...

A double would've been nice. Seems like a bunt back to the pitcher.

I guess we have to trust the scouts on this one. I can't imagine him being "the best player on their board". Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is a good CB, if they wanted another safety they could've gone with Durell Eskridge - the list is endless of players that one would think be listed ahead of him. Everything I've read said he would be an undrafted free agent. Seems like an incredible reach.

Evidently has has three blocked punts on ST, so maybe this is an ST move?

We all know the Giants like to find players in the late rounds who they believe have added value on special teams, so I think you are right.

Well...quite a let down after three picks that were outstanding. From everything I can find to read on him, he'll be lucky to make the team. Scouts and the FO must know something and have some reasoning behind this pick.

Florida State guys left that all would be good picks in the 6th, IMO...

OG Josue Matias

RB Karlos Williams

TE Nick O'Leary

OG Bobby Hart is also still on the board but I think he is UDFA only.

I think Nick O'Leary would thrive in a slot role in McAdoo's system... he's not going to be a great blocking TE, ever. But he's really gritty, really smart, runs great routes, and has great hands.

Josue Matias has starting guard upside in a zone blocking scheme only, which we run, (I think).

And of course the aforementioned Karlos Williams, who I think is my favorite.

*Edit - this post is for Dragon, my fellow FSU homer.

Florida State guys left that all would be good picks in the 6th, IMO...

OG Josue Matias

RB Karlos Williams

TE Nick O'Leary

OG Bobby Hart is also still on the board but I think he is UDFA only.

I think Nick O'Leary would thrive in a slot role in McAdoo's system... he's not going to be a great blocking TE, ever. But he's really gritty, really smart, runs great routes, and has great hands.

Josue Matias has starting guard upside in a zone blocking scheme only, which we run, (I think).

And of course the aforementioned Karlos Williams, who I think is my favorite.

*Edit - this post is for Dragon, my fellow FSU homer.

Karlos just went to Buffalo

O'Leary is good, but I personally like big, tall TE's and have a bad taste in my mouth for TE's under 6'6". Probably has a lot to do with Adrien Robinson at 6'4" who simply can't stand out in the NFL. And O'Leary is shorter than Robinson by a 1/4 inch.

I want a Gronk or Whitten type TE. Maybe O'Leary could still be a good slot option, but I don't know about his blocking. He did look good at the combine when I watched the TE's work out.