SportsWrath

Welcome to the #7 overall draft pick 2015

gmenroc

Mariota...not sure I'd want him even IF we were in a position to get him and IF we didn't already have Eli. But I'll entertain this thought no further.

Wasn't looking for him to push Eli but to be the Aaron Rodgers to Bret Favre kindda deal without the drama...

Wasn't looking for him to push Eli but to be the Aaron Rodgers to Bret Favre kindda deal without the drama...

Eli is signed through next year only. Mariota would have exactly 1 year as a backup to Eli. We've had Nassib as a backup to Eli for 2 or 3 years already. I am of the opinion that Nassib would give us a better shot at winning than would Mariota.

Operating on the assumption that there won't be an Offensive Lineman available and worthy of drafting 8th overall, I'm thinking Linebacker or Wide Receiver......and I'm leaning closer to the latter, because WR's drafted that high seem less likely to be a bust - what you see is what you get - and they can make more of an immediate impact. Still need help on the OL and God knows we need linebackers (note plural) but I don't expect us to be drafting this high again anytime soon and I want as close to a sure thing as possible.

Anyone thinks the Giants have a shot at Oregon's QB?

I definitely see the merit to that in an Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre kind of way but with so many holes all over the place I think you'd have to look at OL, LB (as usual), or Safety first. In other words, best player available.

However, if we got a new GM (please God), you might see him want to bring in his guy for the future

Speaking for other teams (because it's not even worth discussing for the Giants), I'm not so sure Mariotta will be that good! These highly drafted "mobile" QBs have not fared well in recent years.

Safety - the position alone is not worth a top 10 pick...except in extraordinarily rare cases. It'd be a waste.

Quarterback - shouldn't need one if Eli gets extended. If Eli is not extended pre-draft - then you know the coaches are comfortable with Nassib taking over for Eli when that time comes. Further, points have been made about the system we have now being more QB friendly and making the position less demanding in our new offense...and thereby making it less of a priority.

Our top 10 pick this year should be offensive or defensive line. That's really the extent of it. Though, with Beckham's emergence, Randle's struggles, and Cruz's injury, it's tough to argue against WR at this point.

Free agency will dictate a ton this year. JPP not resigned = huge hole on defensive line. Eli not extended = a need to draft a QB regardless of Nassib. Thurmond, McBride, Bowman, Rolle not resigned = huge need in secondary.

Speaking for other teams (because it's not even worth discussing for the Giants), I'm not so sure Mariotta will be that good! These highly drafted "mobile" QBs have not fared well in recent years.

I agree 100% about mobile QBs. I've not watched a ton of Oregon football...how much does this kid actually use his legs? What's his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver a throw while taking a hit?

That's because most of them can't throw anything but a fast ball (Kaperdink, Manziel). They have no touch. Russel Wilson seems to be the exception.

That's because most of them can't throw anything but a fast ball (Kaperdink, Manziel). They have no touch. Russel Wilson seems to be the exception.

Yea I noticed that... Some QBs have amazing accuracy and an art form when it comes to "dropping the ball where it needs to go... not to mention mobile QBs get hurt quite a bit...

I agree 100% about mobile QBs. I've not watched a ton of Oregon football...how much does this kid actually use his legs? What's his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver a throw while taking a hit?

He's more a pocket passer than a runner

Then perhaps he deserves the recognition he's received. Have a lot of draft research to do...

The only thing he does the same has Kaepernick is run, but he doesn't stare at his 1st read and then just take off when it's not there. He has much better pocket awareness and better mechanics then Kap or RG3. My comp would be Andrew Luck or taller Wilson

The only thing he does the same has Kaepernick is run, but he doesn't stare at his 1st read and then just take off when it's not there. He has much better pocket awareness and better mechanics then Kap or RG3. My comp would be Andrew Luck or taller Wilson

If that is accurate, then he'll be the first player off the board, no question about it.

Apparently I'm not crazy afterall... The Colts drafted Luck with Manning coming back from injury... but they knew the upside of Luck over Manning and it shows... now granted.. THAT Manning is better than our Manning and I like Eli a whole lot but not too often do the Giants get to pick in below the 10th... having said that.. he's not going to fall to us anyway... now that we beat the mighty Titans and Redskins :flex:

Eli still have a couple of more years left. Why is everyone trying to get rid of a two time Super Bowl winner? We need time for our o-line to mature. If anything we need a LB in the first round

Problem is Eli will be done before that happens :laugh:

Yep. What good is another 7-9 season? Then some idiot can make the argument that we finished strong?

At this point wins are hurting us. I'd still like to beat the Eagles if it would put them in a bad spot, but that would also bump us up too.

I'm hoping for two more wins so I can enjoy watching Giants football. I'm looking forward to ODB dominating more corners. I don't know why you'd hope for losses, regardless if it moves us up one draft spot

the draft is such a crap shoot, I couldn't care less about draft position.

And generally I believe that playing well to close the season does more to elevate the team the following season than any draft pick could hope to offer. ...As long as its next season's players that are having success and gaining confidence, and not the players of yesteryear enjoying their career's death rattle.

Currently at 8th overall...best pick we can get is 6th overall

There are 4 teams at 2-12 that at best, could end up 4-12...we've already won 5 games. So there's the first 4 picks.

Washington is currently 3-11, so we could end up tying them in overall record, but give we swept them, they'll be ahead of us in draft order.

So that puts us 6th at best.

The Jets, at 3-11 with games against Miami and New England remaining, likely won't end up with 5 wins...so we're almost assuredly 7th at best. I don't know who'd win the tiebreaker if Giants and Jets were both 5-11.

We're currently tied with the Falcons and Bears, so if we lose, we best hope they win. Falcons have the Saints and Panthers remaining. Bears have Detroit and Minnesota remaining.

Manziel thinks he has a Stafford type howitzer for an arm, but in actuality he has no zip on his passes at all

I'm hoping for two more wins so I can enjoy watching Giants football. I'm looking forward to ODB dominating more corners. I don't know why you'd hope for losses, regardless if it moves us up one draft spot

I don't hope for them to lose Drizzle, I just don't think we'll win either game in the first place. To be honest, just watching OBJ is good enough for me for the rest of the year. the team has so many needs now, no matter how you look at it. I know drafting high doesn't always pan out, we're just at a bad point with this team, TC and Eli near the end, defense is terrible and not knowing what they'll do before next year is wearing on the fans.