SportsWrath

The 2014 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

The old rule of thumb is, "when in doubt, pick a lineman" is true because they rarely flame out.

Anyone notice that teams don't seem to think to highly of running backs this year? I personally think all running backs are pretty good and are plug and play and are successful when working behind a great offensive line that opens the door for them. RB's getting yards on their own is rare in these days. Sure - if there's a jail break, they pick up big yards, but it's usually because of a good play drawn up by the coach that got the defense to bite on some fakes.

Maybe in theory OL is safe because it includes OG and C . OT might project differently. You can be a Ryan Leaf at LT and move into the OG position and be a serviceable guy.

That's the main thing about Oline you can atleast move positions and serve as a decent backup or starter. You bust as a WR or skill position that's all you really can do.

At the same time, no first round pick heck any pick is a guarantee, for every Jonathan Ogden you get a Jeff Otah.

Yet he probably could of went in the third round instead of the first, since he was changed from a tackle to a guard where he had a decent career.

No doubt. The point was that evn though he wasn't the perrenial Pro Bowler some thought he'd be, he still had a career in the NFL. He's no JaMarcus Russell.

That's the main thing about Oline you can atleast move positions and serve as a decent backup or starter. You bust as a WR or skill position that's all you really can do.

At the same time, no first round pick heck any pick is a guarantee, for every Jonathan Ogden you get a Jeff Otah.

Yes my point on the issue. You shouldnt be drafting back up in the first round.

The bottom line is: you pick a "skill player", there's a 50:50 chance he'll bust in the NFL. Draft a man for the trenches and there's an 80:20 (yes, I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass, but they're close) chance he'll be a bust (think William Joseph here).

There are no guarantees period. Clowney could be a bust and some 6th round player might end up being a perennial pro-bowler. It's just that you really need to know what you're doing if you go with a skill pick early because they'll break your heart (Ron Dayne, I'm talking to you, you donut stuffing, tub of lard millionaire).