SportsWrath

The 2014 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/thoughts-head-scratchings-round-1/

The reach of the draft? Taylor Lewan. Lewan is fine when the play stays in front of him. Hes a strong player in one on one contests, but he has problems with fast, edge rushers. So he gets to face Clowney and Robert Mathis a whole bunch in the Titans division. I personally feel that the team that grabs Morgan Moses today, gets a better all-around OT.

The reach of the draft? Taylor Lewan. Lewan is fine when the play stays in front of him. Hes a strong player in one on one contests, but he has problems with fast, edge rushers. So he gets to face Clowney and Robert Mathis a whole bunch in the Titans division. I personally feel that the team that grabs Morgan Moses today, gets a better all-around OT.

I was just starting to look at the best available linemen...seeing who might be around for our pick. We're picking at 43 overall. The #s in parentheses are where CBSSports had the players ranked overall.

I admittedly didn't read up on centers, so I can't comment on Martin or Richburg...but if either has quality G experience, then I suppose I could stomach them in the 2nd. But if purely a center, I'd rather wait until the later rounds. I saw Kouandjio in exactly one game and he was getting beat consistently. It's soured me on him big time.

What are the chance we get a shot at Su'a-Filo, Moses, or Bitonio?

OG Su'a-Filo (27)

OT Kouandjio (29)

OT Moses (36)

OG Bitonio (41)

C Martin (48)

OT Mewhort (62)

C Richburg (65)

OG Jackson (66)

Not speaking for just the giants, but in general, why is it that NFL draft analysts (the media) seems to like EVERY SINGLE PICK? These all can't be good picks, lol, they never are.

same reason every player who plays on sunday and monday night is the best ever

there's also absolutely no room for him on that titans o-line either. really strange pick

Not speaking for just the giants, but in general, why is it that NFL draft analysts (the media) seems to like EVERY SINGLE PICK? These all can't be good picks, lol, they never are.

That's because right now.. they are very good picks... how they pan out later is different.

I'm not going to lie--I was disappointed. But it looks like there are plenty of linemen in the second, so I'm not freaking out yet, and I don't follow college ball enough to really have an opinion on single players. For all I know, Beckham might be the best WR this year.

And let's face it--there's no real guarantee that a first round lineman would be any better than the FAs we have signed--just hope. Besides, we historically do better in the second round than the first.

I'm going to wait and see.

The graveyard of "can't miss" first round players looks like the Arlington cemetery. The numbers are frightening. Within 3 years, half the first round picks are already out of football, or bouncing from team to team for vet minimum. The whole draft is a crap shoot. Have to go with your gut and trust your scouts have done their job instead of staying at 5-star hotels, eating steak and lobster every night before spending 3 hours at the strip joint.

I like Bitonio (and I think the Giants are high on him if you can believe anything you read in the papers). Su'a-Filo will be gone I'm sure, but he'd be a cherry pick if still there.

The graveyard of "can't miss" first round players looks like the Arlington cemetery. The numbers are frightening. Within 3 years, half the first round picks are already out of football, or bouncing from team to team for vet minimum. The whole draft is a crap shoot. Have to go with your gut and trust your scouts have done their job instead of staying at 5-star hotels, eating steak and lobster every night before spending 3 hours at the strip joint.

I like Bitonio (and I think the Giants are high on him if you can believe anything you read in the papers). Su'a-Filo will be gone I'm sure, but he'd be a cherry pick if still there.

Can't argue. These guys aren't just competing with each other: they're competing with all the players that are on the team already, the ones drafted after them, and are trying to stay healthy in the meantime. That's a lot of factors working against a typical player.

WR and OL have the biggest bust rate.

They're also drafted at a very high rate in the first round.

I seem to recall a study a while back - and I'm not about to go hunting for it - that said high draft pick OL's are the highest success rate in terms of # of years as a starting player in the league.

I seem to recall a study a while back - and I'm not about to go hunting for it - that said high draft pick OL's are the highest success rate in terms of # of years as a starting player in the league.

im going of of what i heard on thr dan patrick show

This. OL is the safe pick.

Maybe in theory OL is safe because it includes OG and C . OT might project differently. You can be a Ryan Leaf at LT and move into the OG position and be a serviceable guy.