SportsWrath

The 2014 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

We pick 43 and 74, It's always been that way. Giants,Detroit, and Titans all finished 7-9, so the picks flip each round.

Ahhh...that explains it. Thanks.

Amazing how many sites have the Giants 12th every round. I only found the right draft order on ESPN

Okay, on the pick.

I'll be the first to grade it with a B- and honestly, that's after bumping it up from my initial thoughts of a C (after reading through the comments here, and comments by the talking heads).

First, I have no doubts he'll be a good WR. The question we need to ask is simply, how much better will he be than a WR we could get in the 2nd and that answer needs to be compared to the difference in talent between Martin and the offensive linemen we could get in the 2nd. If one of the top guards is available (Sua'filo'dough'kua'e'i'e'i'o for example), then I'm much more comfortable (assuming we take him), but that's a huge risk that I can't believe the Giants took. Martin was clearly, to me, the pick to make at 12 because of the amount of WR talent in the draft.

Okay, on the pick.

I'll be the first to grade it with a B- and honestly, that's after bumping it up from my initial thoughts of a C (after reading through the comments here, and comments by the talking heads).

First, I have no doubts he'll be a good WR. The question we need to ask is simply, how much better will he be than a WR we could get in the 2nd and that answer needs to be compared to the difference in talent between Martin and the offensive linemen we could get in the 2nd. If one of the top guards is available (Sua'filo'dough'kua'e'i'e'i'o for example), then I'm much more comfortable (assuming we take him), but that's a huge risk that I can't believe the Giants took. Martin was clearly, to me, the pick to make at 12 because of the amount of WR talent in the draft.

from the highlights, this kid is an amazing talent... I like a WR who is a ball hawk not just wait for the ball to drop to him.. besides his YAC are unbelievable.

from the highlights, this kid is an amazing talent... I like a WR who is a ball hawk not just wait for the ball to drop to him.. besides his YAC are unbelievable.

Again, I certainly don't hate the pick, but I don't love it either. Like I said, if we luck into one of the top guards, it'll raise the draft grade for me. But I just don't see how they passed on Martin, I really don't. I know we brought in FA for the offensive line and that that might patch it...but I feel strongly that there's still too much uncertainty there to have passed on a guy as valuable as Martin.

Again, I certainly don't hate the pick, but I don't love it either. Like I said, if we luck into one of the top guards, it'll raise the draft grade for me. But I just don't see how they passed on Martin, I really don't. I know we brought in FA for the offensive line and that that might patch it...but I feel strongly that there's still too much uncertainty there to have passed on a guy as valuable as Martin.

I feel the same way ... i was stunned but that feeling eased a bit the more I learned about this kid...

Only thing I can figure is there was something about his game that the Giants were down on. Or they have some inside info on one of these second round prospect OL guys that has them excited.

He plucks the ball out of the air without losing speed. You'll see alot of guys stop and have to get back up to speed.

Agreed 100%

I'm not going to bash Beckham Jr. at all. He seems like a very exciting player. And for sure, getting a talented WR was definitely something I thought the Giants needed to address in the draft. But, I look at how deep this draft is with wide receivers, and then compare it with how many offensive lineman can jump from college to Day 1 starter at any of the 5 OL positions, and it's really no contest.

The Giants had the opportunity to sew up both tackles within two years (Pugh & Martin), with the additional benefit of having a guy (Martin) that could play inside if (huge fucking "if") Beatty makes a strong comeback.

But they didn't, and instead, he fell into the Cowboys lap.

If the Giants have any hope of addressing the line through the draft, then they need to take an OL in the 2nd. Otherwise, from 3rd and beyond, you are talking about taking a bench-rider, and at that point, fuck it really, just go with a running back or tight end or someone with dark house starter potential.

Or, I can see Reese taking some fat fuck and pretending he's a massive offensive lineman with off the charts potential, like he did with Brewer in the 4th.

I've come to the conclusion that Reese is a Magic Beans guy. He looked at Beckham Jr., and saw visions of huge TD passes, and wild seat-of-your-pants punt returns, and it provided an escape from the reality that his "franchise" left tackle sucked ass and broke his leg last season.

So, we'll sit tight with another free agent patch job on the offensive line...let's hope it works out better than Baas.

Sorry, can't come away from that 1st round without regretting what could have been, and that's with no disrespect towards Beckham, who seems like a nice kid and an exciting player.

Only thing I can figure is there was something about his game that the Giants were down on. Or they have some inside info on one of these second round prospect OL guys that has them excited.

I sure as shit hope so.

On a side note, I didn't know you posted in football threads. Pinned you as a purely tits and ass kinda guy. Nice to see you branching out, but don't forget your roots!

I sure as shit hope so.

On a side note, I didn't know you posted in football threads. Pinned you as a purely tits and ass kinda guy. Nice to see you branching out, but don't forget your roots!

I am on here during football season in most of the game threads

But just to not disappoint my fan base

1.jpg

I sure as shit hope so.

Are you kidding me... G LOVED Kevin Boothe :D

I figure it will be around 10:00 PM when the Giants are on the clock (give or take 10 minutes), and I am betting that you will be tuned in and watching at that time. No one can wait until tomorrow to see who we're going to have for our team.

I did check the draft tracker a little after 11pm and I saw that it was good, a few surprises as far as teams moving around. Was not concerned at all about who we were drafting at 12 because there were talented players at nearly every position we need. It was a can't miss pick and Reese looks like he hit a double in the first.

Sorry about Zach Martin Bleedin.

Not speaking for just the giants, but in general, why is it that NFL draft analysts (the media) seems to like EVERY SINGLE PICK? These all can't be good picks, lol, they never are.

21st century carnival barkers.

Agreed 100%

I'm not going to bash Beckham Jr. at all. He seems like a very exciting player. And for sure, getting a talented WR was definitely something I thought the Giants needed to address in the draft. But, I look at how deep this draft is with wide receivers, and then compare it with how many offensive lineman can jump from college to Day 1 starter at any of the 5 OL positions, and it's really no contest.

The Giants had the opportunity to sew up both tackles within two years (Pugh & Martin), with the additional benefit of having a guy (Martin) that could play inside if (huge fucking "if") Beatty makes a strong comeback.

But they didn't, and instead, he fell into the Cowboys lap.

If the Giants have any hope of addressing the line through the draft, then they need to take an OL in the 2nd. Otherwise, from 3rd and beyond, you are talking about taking a bench-rider, and at that point, fuck it really, just go with a running back or tight end or someone with dark house starter potential.

Or, I can see Reese taking some fat fuck and pretending he's a massive offensive lineman with off the charts potential, like he did with Brewer in the 4th.

I've come to the conclusion that Reese is a Magic Beans guy. He looked at Beckham Jr., and saw visions of huge TD passes, and wild seat-of-your-pants punt returns, and it provided an escape from the reality that his "franchise" left tackle sucked ass and broke his leg last season.

So, we'll sit tight with another free agent patch job on the offensive line...let's hope it works out better than Baas.

Sorry, can't come away from that 1st round without regretting what could have been, and that's with no disrespect towards Beckham, who seems like a nice kid and an exciting player.

This.

Honestly, last year we needed 3 starting linebackers at draft time and we drafted zero. We need three starters on the O-line this season... so we drafted a WR, which is really a luxury pick. We had a guy that could have fixed three problems in our sights and went for the sexy player instead. I can see Reese taking a D-lineman and backup CB or safety for the next two picks.

If we go another year completely ignoring an entire position on our team (no, John Jerry and Charlie Brown are NOT starters) then I'm going to start banging the "fire Reese" drum.