SportsWrath

The 2014 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

Jesus, everything I'm reading has our 2nd rounder projected as a 3rd or 4th pick and our 3rd rounder anywhere between a 4th and "late round" selection. All I know about most of these college players is what I learn here, so someone talk me off the ledge here!

It's the annual obligatory Coughlin hometown pick , we/he get('s) one per year. Didn't you read his contract?

Johnny Manziel was projected to go in the top ten and we all know he was drafted in the bottom half of the draft and it does not take away from his ability as a QB. They have Weston Richburg in the late rounds for a couple of reasons and none of them have to do with his ability. Focus on what the player is going to bring to the team and not their draft projected selection.

It's the annual obligatory Coughlin hometown pick , we/he get('s) one per year. Didn't you read his contract?

LMAO!

Yeah...hard to believe that Coughlin played halfback with Larry Czonka and Floyd Little. He seems so nerdy and Czonka and Little were too of the biggest studs of their time. But you are right....he has a real close relationship with the coaches and administrators at SU.

He also has very close ties with Boston College and usually takes a BC player each year. TC knows the coaches really well and on a personal kitchen table relationship with those from both SU and BC - and he gets a ton of valuable inside information on which players are going to make a splash in the NFL even if all the rags aren't talking about them.

Can't complain. SU gave us Pugh, Tyree, Joe Morris, and of course Nassib. BC gave us Snee, Herzlich, Kiwinuka, etc

I'm trying to dig up some game film of him and so far from what I've seen, color me uninspired. Don't get me wrong, he could be a good pick. However, Reese does not have a good track record with 3rd rounders, I hope that changes starting with Bromley.

I'm trying to dig up some game film of him and so far from what I've seen, color me uninspired. Don't get me wrong, he could be a good pick. However, Reese does not have a good track record with 3rd rounders, I hope that changes starting with Bromley.

No one has a good record with third rounders.

Anything after the second round is usually a fuckfest of just trying to grab players you know the most about.

Hell some teams can't even get their first round pick right.

On the other hand, Reese does has an excellent record with DTs, outside of Austin. (And I wonder how he would have done if he didn't tear his muscle and miss his rookie year. Oh well.) We're just going to have to wait and see which tendency wins out. :)

Probably saw the same vids you did--Clemson, NC State, and Minnesota, right? On the one hand, it looks like he gets lost in a crowd: on the other, it looks like he causes the crowd. And a couple of big-time TFLs on the goal line. And sacks. If he beats out Kuhn, it's an upgrade in the rotation.

This isn't directed at you, Jim, but I'm on a roll:

I'm not a big "value" guy anyway. Who's value, and by what measure? If you go by the "value boards" from Feb, the team drafting Yankey will be getting the steal of the draft. It just seems to me that mock drafts, which were originally fans trying to guess what GMs might do, have somehow morphed into something that fans believe GMs should do.

I bet you can go on every forum for every team and see fans flipping because of their team's picks so far--and it's been amplified because there's been so much extra time before the draft. Not because they necessarily know the player, but because they have read so many mocks with just a small amount of players in a range that it's a shock to get a player outside of that list. I know I'm not immune to it, but I try to shake it off after the first round. You have to wonder: how does that improve the experience of fans if it's taken so seriously?

As an example, we needed a center. We passed on the big FA centers, and drafted arguably the best center in the draft. In the context of the draft, there might have been better "value" picks in that round; but the long term value is a center that will work together with Manning for the balance of his career and aid his successor, assuming he pans out and stays healthy. (A big if, naturally. We lost Chad Jones before he even entered the weight room.) Of course, I also think center is a very underrated position. In that context, I'm ok with taking the best available center in what is supposedly a weak draft for centers when we did, rather than trading down or grabbing the next best tackle, or even tight end.

Phew. Feel better now. Sorry for the rant.

after the second round you draft guys that fit your scheme . i dont think reese has done a good job with it. The guys with pure talent are generally gone by mid 2nd at the latest.

On the other hand, Reese does has an excellent record with DTs, outside of Austin. (And I wonder how he would have done if he didn't tear his muscle and miss his rookie year. Oh well.) We're just going to have to wait and see which tendency wins out. :)

Probably saw the same vids you did--Clemson, NC State, and Minnesota, right? On the one hand, it looks like he gets lost in a crowd: on the other, it looks like he causes the crowd. And a couple of big-time TFLs on the goal line. And sacks. If he beats out Kuhn, it's an upgrade in the rotation.

This isn't directed at you, Jim, but I'm on a roll:

I'm not a big "value" guy anyway. Who's value, and by what measure? If you go by the "value boards" from Feb, the team drafting Yankey will be getting the steal of the draft. It just seems to me that mock drafts, which were originally fans trying to guess what GMs might do, have somehow morphed into something that fans believe GMs should do.

I bet you can go on every forum for every team and see fans flipping because of their team's picks so far--and it's been amplified because there's been so much extra time before the draft. Not because they necessarily know the player, but because they have read so many mocks with just a small amount of players in a range that it's a shock to get a player outside of that list. I know I'm not immune to it, but I try to shake it off after the first round. You have to wonder: how does that improve the experience of fans if it's taken so seriously?

As an example, we needed a center. We passed on the big FA centers, and drafted arguably the best center in the draft. In the context of the draft, there might have been better "value" picks in that round; but the long term value is a center that will work together with Manning for the balance of his career and aid his successor, assuming he pans out and stays healthy. (A big if, naturally. We lost Chad Jones before he even entered the weight room.) Of course, I also think center is a very underrated position. In that context, I'm ok with taking the best available center in what is supposedly a weak draft for centers when we did, rather than trading down or grabbing the next best tackle, or even tight end.

Phew. Feel better now. Sorry for the rant.

Wow...you really summed it up perfectly with that. And you are spot on with the mocks, the fans, the false beliefs based on fan's mocks, etc.

Couldn't have said it better. Great job

Draft rounds 4-7 start at noon today. This is where scouts earn their money. The rankings by Kiper/Mayock/and crew are meaningless as they really only have good information on the top picks that virtually everyone knows about.

I'd like to see the Giants pick up a DE, a safety, an obscure TE (perhaps from a small school), and maybe a RB...in no particular order. I'm going to trust Reese and TC