SportsWrath

Gilbride tells Sirius Radio station what went wrong in 2013

Lughead

He really threw Reese under the bus

Reese deserves to be under the bus......he's still crowing about the 2007 draft class, and meanwhile, he just cost Gilbride his job.

I've never been a huge fan of Gilbride, but I'll admit when things worked, they worked really well....there were times in the past where I honestly felt there was no team in the NFL that could stop the Giants offense.

Also, Reese was the guy that pushed Brandon Stokley on the offense, when Gilbride clearly believed in his young guys.....like Cruz.

http://nypost.com/2011/09/16/giants-gilbride-would-rather-use-young-receivers/

September 16, 2011

While Kevin Gilbride was second-guessed by Ahmad Bradshaw, the Giants offensive coordinator wasn’t above a little second-guessing of his own yesterday.

The Giants announced the signing of 35-year-old wide receiver Brandon Stokley, a move that didn’t exactly earn a ringing endorsement from Gilbride.

“The powers above me made that decision [that] we needed to add this additional receiver,” Gilbride said.

That comment appeared to be directed at GM Jerry Reese. Gilbride’s immediate boss — Tom Coughlin — appeared very much in favor of bringing in Stokley to play the role of slot receiver.

Gilbride, who said he favored using young receivers Victor Cruz or Jerrel Jernigan in the slot instead of adding Stokley, also made two specific references to former slot receiver Steve Smith.

That’s a touchy subject around the Giants because Reese appeared to dither with Smith in free agency this summer because of concerns about his knee, prompting a dismayed Smith to sign with the rival Eagles.

continued from above....

“We had wanted all along Steve Smith back, and that was the objective, that was the hope and the expectation,” Gilbride said. “But when that didn’t happen, then we have two young guys [Cruz and Jernigan] that we think can do it.”

But Reese obviously disagreed after watching Cruz and Domenik Hixon fail to fill the slot role in last Sunday’s 28-14 opening loss to the Redskins, prompting the Giants to reach out to Stokley.

The Giants also worked out receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on Wednesday, but went with the well-traveled Stokley (five teams) in part because of his familiarity with Eli Manning.

Stokley, a native of Louisiana who scored a touchdown for the Ravens against the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV, said yesterday he has been catching passes from Manning since Eli was in high school. Stokley worked (and still works) the annual Manning family passing camps in New Orleans.

Stokley’s task now is to try to learn the offense quick enough to play a meaningful role as soon as Monday night’s home opener against the Rams at MetLife Stadium

“Anytime you can have a person who can move the chains and keep the offense on the field is pretty valuable to the offense,” said Stokley, who has 338 catches and 34 touchdowns in his 12-year career. “Hopefully I can help here.”

Despite having no say in Stokley’s arrival, Gilbride endorsed the veteran wideout — if only, it seemed, to reference once again the player whose exit created the void in the first place.

“I think [stokley] will bring something to the table that we are looking forward to having and what we were really in need of since Steve Smith’s injury,” Gilbride said.

Hell, I see the opposite more often, especially here.

When the offense works it's in spite of Gilbride, that exact quote has been written here countless times. and when it fails it's because of Gilbride.

In reality it's part gilbride, part players.

^This.

I'm actually relieved Gilbride's gone--in a sick way, I've been looking forward to this for a few years now. Not that he was a terrible coordinator, but because I don't have to read some of the revisionist history that goes on here: we won in 2011 because of the defense?

Now I won't feel a need to defend a guy I don't really care too much about--frankly, some of the things he did pissed me off as much as it did everyone else. I just hope you guys that were claiming that the offense won despite him are right. I guess we'll find out next year.

The guy ran an offense that got us two Lombardis, and should have gotten us further in 2008 and 2010. Too many turnovers in 2010, but with a real defense, we could have hit the playoffs.

Whatever. It's done.

I will ask this, though: What adjustments do you make with the offense when you have a pocket-passer getting perpetual pressure up the middle, and your running game is on IR/partial IR? We didn't even have a true fullback for a chunk of the season. This isn't a hypothetical question, I really want to know.

^This.

I'm actually relieved Gilbride's gone--in a sick way, I've been looking forward to this for a few years now. Not that he was a terrible coordinator, but because I don't have to read some of the revisionist history that goes on here: we won in 2011 because of the defense?

Now I won't feel a need to defend a guy I don't really care too much about--frankly, some of the things he did pissed me off as much as it did everyone else. I just hope you guys that were claiming that the offense won despite him are right. I guess we'll find out next year.

The guy ran an offense that got us two Lombardis, and should have gotten us further in 2008 and 2010. Too many turnovers in 2010, but with a real defense, we could have hit the playoffs.

Whatever. It's done.

I will ask this, though: What adjustments do you make with the offense when you have a pocket-passer getting perpetual pressure up the middle, and your running game is on IR/partial IR? We didn't even have a true fullback for a chunk of the season. This isn't a hypothetical question, I really want to know.

You roll your QB out of the pocket, you go shotgun & empty backfield. Get those Rbs lined up outside and out of the backfield. Give them a chance with the ball in space.

lol it was everyone's fault except his. wonder where he learned that from

Yeah...like please... perhaps defenses were keying on your prehistoric easy to diagnose defense... and every QB's friend for a rush is play action and passes to the backs...stop rushing your receivers back from major injuries and perhaps they can destroy those bump and run coverage schemes like they did oh wait a minute...like they did in 2011-12 ending in a Super Bowl? Ya think?

I didn't see many of the adjustments he speaks of.

The problems on the offensive line were news to nobody, but I thought he threw Nicks under the bus more than anyone. All but said Nicks isn't a number one receiver.

Not for nothing, but fuck this guy.

"Well, our O-line wasn't very good and neither were our recievers." Yeah dipshit, that's why good coordinators make ADJUSTMENTS to compensate for that.

This guy is like the employee that doesn't show up to work for 16 weeks because his car is broken down. Instead of jumping the battery, installing a new alternator, and pushing his car to start it... or fuck, riding a bike... he complains that nobody bought him the replacement parts.

i found that pretty funny too

no accountability at all. good riddance

What about blaming the guy in charge of the offense? What an ass.

I've said it before...a good coordinator can adjust to use the talents they are presented with as opposed to getting the talents he has to match up to a predetermined system.

So the WRs were the problem...after Gilly had his kid hired as WR Coach?

Buh bye...go join the Barber Brothers Radio Show... do an Opie and Anthony... Mike and the Two Mad Dogs...whatever just go already and take your spawn ... St. Gilbride II with you... :big F-U:

I love this line of argument; when the offense works it's to Gilly's credit, when it's bad it's because the front office didn't choose the right players, like the coaching staff has no role in the draft, free agency or in actually preparing the players to play.

Reese spent big money in FA (Baas) and our first round pick in the draft (Pugh) on the OLine, yet it's Reese's fault for not addressing the Oline? It's Reese's fault that Beatty somehow regressed from last season, and signing him to a big contract was done without any feedback from the coaches?

Next it will be Reese's fault for the Delay Of Game penalties.

nothing is ever a coaching member's fault on this team. they always "practice great" and are prepared but never "execute".

Jesus Christ... its like failures at any level of business... its most often a joint failure of management and employees... at least. But its managements job to at least see and try to plan for the deficiencies... If the performance at my facilities significantly drops off...I better know why...offer up some solutions and if it still does not work...and if I don't restructure, fire, hire or whatever...then it will be on me. With the big bucks, big position comes big responsibilities... go coach a Division II College team and see how that works out for you St. Gilbride...

Football is indeed a game of inches and I don't think we out last two superbowl's because of Gilbride rather two wing and a prayer throw that just happened to go our way. If Tyree lets that ball hit the turf when it was just a few inches from the ground on his helmet . Actually if Tyree didnt come down on top of Harrison's legs the ball would of hit the ground .Also if Manningham doesn't get his right toe down or if he came down a two or three inches to his left we would not have gone on to win our last Superbowl. Now did Gilbride have those two plays scripted ,were they practiced ? Maybe the Manningham play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwC1rhjzmRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSgZzHSts0

With out those two lucky plays we would only have 2 Superbowl wins and 3 Superbowl losses granted. ...... The Giants won inspite of Gilbride

Football is indeed a game of inches and I don't think we out last two superbowl's because of Gilbride rather two wing and a prayer throw that just happened to go our way. If Tyree lets that ball hit the turf when it was just a few inches from the ground on his helmet . Actually if Tyree didnt come down on top of Harrison's legs the ball would of hit the ground .Also if Manningham doesn't get his right toe down or if he came down a two or three inches to his left we would not have gone on to win our last Superbowl. Now did Gilbride have those two plays scripted ,were they practiced ? Maybe the Manningham play

[mediahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwC1rhjzmRg][/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSgZzHSts0

With out those two lucky plays we would only have 2 Superbowl wins and 3 Superbowl losses granted. ...... The Giants won inspite of Gilbride

While the 2 plays in question are incredible, I don't think it's fair to pin winning the trophies on the 2 plays... We got into the playoffs and won every game to get that end.

manningham's catch wasn't a miracle. it was a really nice sideline tip toe catch that happens a couple of times a week in the NFL.

i've seen a "helmet" catch about 4 times since tyree's catch. If he had pinned it against his shoulder, hip, leg, stomach it'd be a great athletic play, but because he pinned it against his head it's "lucky" or "a miracle". it was a really great athletic play on tyree's part and people act like the ball got stuck in his facemask.

im really sick of these plays being misscharacterized by people who didn't think the giants deserved to win those games.

the mvp of the 2007 run was a tie between eli playing out of his mind and a sick defense(mostly tuck) that held the greatest offense ever to 14 points.

the mvp of the 2011 run was 1) nicks 2) cruz 3) jpp.

and no i don't assign a ton of credit to gilbride when nicks and cruz turned about 47 10 yard slants into 50+ yard td's that year. as we've seen from nicks and cruz the past two years, that many huge YAC plays in one season is unsustainable and not a product of offensive design

You realize neither of those passes were for TDs, right? There were hundreds of offensive plays before and plays after these that contributed to getting there. In 2007, Burress was wide open in the end zone for that last TD. Boss had a big catch and run before then. Tyree had a TD earlier, which gave meaning to his other catch. The defense had an awesome last stand against the Patriots offense. Do those get discounted too?

Well, why not call Tom Quinn MVP, then? Without 2 special teams plays in SF, we don't even get to the Superbowl in 2011. With the state of our defense for most of that year, I'm still trying to figure out how we even got into the playoffs.

manningham's catch wasn't a miracle. it was a really nice sideline tip toe catch that happens a couple of times a week in the NFL.

i've seen a "helmet" catch about 4 times since tyree's catch. If he had pinned it against his shoulder, hip, leg, stomach it'd be a great athletic play, but because he pinned it against his head it's "lucky" or "a miracle". it was a really great athletic play on tyree's part and people act like the ball got stuck in his facemask.

im really sick of these plays being misscharacterized by people who didn't think the giants deserved to win those games.

the mvp of the 2007 run was a tie between eli playing out of his mind and a sick defense(mostly tuck) that held the greatest offense ever to 14 points.

the mvp of the 2011 run was 1) nicks 2) cruz 3) jpp.

and no i don't assign a ton of credit to gilbride when nicks and cruz turned about 47 10 yard slants into 50+ yard td's that year. as we've seen from nicks and cruz the past two years, that many huge YAC plays in one season is unsustainable and not a product of offensive design

2007--won't argue: that defense peaked that year. At least after the first few games. Eli was pretty meh for the season, but really came into his own in the post season.

2011--The thing is Ballard also had a good season that year, and he can't be mistaken for a great TE. And if you are going to credit strictly a player, I'd pick Eli: he was under a ton of pressure because of the line even back then (the difference being that it was coming from the outside, and there was still enough of a pocket for him to maneuver). Of course, 10 yard slants would be a good way to compensate for a porous line...

Can we stop now? I get it. Nothing's going to change your minds, and I frankly don't care.

You realize neither of those passes were for TDs, right? There were hundreds of offensive plays before and plays after these that contributed to getting there. In 2007, Burress was wide open in the end zone for that last TD. Boss had a big catch and run before then. Tyree had a TD earlier, which gave meaning to his other catch. The defense had an awesome last stand against the Patriots offense. Do those get discounted too?

Well, why not call Tom Quinn MVP, then? Without 2 special teams plays in SF, we don't even get to the Superbowl in 2011. With the state of our defense for most of that year, I'm still trying to figure out how we even got into the playoffs.

2007--won't argue: that defense peaked that year. At least after the first few games. Eli was pretty meh for the season, but really came into his own in the post season.

2011--The thing is Ballard also had a good season that year, and he can't be mistaken for a great TE. And if you are going to credit strictly a player, I'd pick Eli: he was under a ton of pressure because of the line even back then (the difference being that it was coming from the outside, and there was still enough of a pocket for him to maneuver). Of course, 10 yard slants would be a good way to compensate for a porous line...

Can we stop now? I get it. Nothing's going to change your minds, and I frankly don't care.

Fish, I don't quite understand what you're saying. Stick with the guy who's schemes we know suck instead of breathing new life into the team that desperately needs it?

Yes, the guy's schemes won the Lombardi. So did Mike Martz's and nobody is clamoring for him to be their coordinator. Schemes get old... it's just the way it is... and you can't hold on to "well, it worked in the past" when the past was almost two years ago (the offense was terrible for the second half of last season too).

Also, don't forget it was Gilbrides shit play calling that got us OUT of the playoffs in 2008, when he decided to have Eli throw 35 passes into 40mph winds... and how well did he make adjustments after the team lost Plax? So well that we went onto win one more game total in the regular season.

I personally can't wait to see how Eli does in an offense that doesn't require a dozen pre-snap reads and lets him just play.

Fish, I don't quite understand what you're saying. Stick with the guy who's schemes we know suck instead of breathing new life into the team that desperately needs it?

Yes, the guy's schemes won the Lombardi. So did Mike Martz's and nobody is clamoring for him to be their coordinator. Schemes get old... it's just the way it is... and you can't hold on to "well, it worked in the past" when the past was almost two years ago (the offense was terrible for the second half of last season too).

Also, don't forget it was Gilbrides shit play calling that got us OUT of the playoffs in 2008, when he decided to have Eli throw 35 passes into 40mph winds... and how well did he make adjustments after the team lost Plax? So well that we went onto win one more game total in the regular season.

I personally can't wait to see how Eli does in an offense that doesn't require a dozen pre-snap reads and lets him just play.

This ... big time... especially the last sentence... pre snap reads that the defenses are disguising and pulling out of after Eli has made his adjustments most of the time.

How ironic was it that something Manningham had been criticized for his entire career (mostly by that dick, Cris Collinsworth) ended up turning into his defining moment? He had always been shitted on about his route running and not leaving enough space for Eli to fit the ball in down the sidlines. So in the biggest game of his life, he does, and makes the biggest play of his career and a tip-toe catch along the sidelines that goes down in history.

I don't really think he ever got a chance by the fans. Obviously, he did from the team, but the fans remembered him as the guy that got punched by Ryan, and that was the end of it for them. In the meantime, they apparently missed the best offensive play by this team that I've seen in decades of watching them.

Of course he did some bone-headed shit: I'll do you one better and remind you of the Redskins game in 2007 when he had Manning throw 50 times in gale-force winds. Even still, we managed to stay .500 or better despite some horrendous defenses in 7 of his 8 years as OC. He went 8-8 with Sheridan as DC, for god's sake!

And that 2008 team had more problems than just Plax--Jacobs was hurt going into the Carolina game, and wasn't any better against Philly. (Did he even play? I don't remember.) And Plax wasn't the feature of that team--the running game was; so having Jacobs injured when he was hurt us big time. Half our defensive line had microfracture surgery the following off-season. It was a strong team, but it was beaten-up by the playoffs. It wasn't all Gilbride, just like the wins weren't all Gilbride.

I think he should go. I also think he should be given a hell of a lot more respect for what he's done for this team during his time here. It just bothers me that he won't.

And I think it's utterly obscene that he's gone while Fewell and Quinn stay. Yeah, yeah the defense was better this year--but if you guys give credit to wide receivers for Gilbride, I'll give credit to the DTs and Beason for Fewell. There's three previous seasons (with an 8-game interlude) that supports this. And Quinn!?

Why am I getting the feeling that next year is going to be ugly, too?

Blame the offensive line, Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty, injured running backs, Gilbride's plays.

Eli Manning is the main reason we were bad this season. Your top paid player and franchise player had his worst season since his rookie year. Before you guys start throwing stats out there to prove this season wasn't his worst stat wise, it was. He's 32 years old now, not 22 years old and inexperienced.

He has carte blanche to change plays as he reads the defense and some of those plays we blame Gilbride for are Eli audibles. Hell this was even admitted.

You see these draw plays on 3rd and long that infuriate us here, a lot of those are Eli calls when he doesn't like what he sees.

We don't have stud coordinators, hell we don't have a stud head coach. We have a head coach and GM that are "for the course:" people. They believe in steady discliplined approaches to running a football team. Coughlin brings in guys that are in line with his approach, Gilbride and Fewell are those types. No flea flickers here, no 8 men in the box on d. And in between all that aggravation where we don't do anything, we get runs like winning superbowls where (and fuck anyone who says otherwise), The Giants are the best football team at the end of the season period. When we don't win, we are boring underachieving fucks.

So for all those who claims there are apologists on here for Gilbride, No. it's the fact that you look at the whole body of work and say, has it been that bad for us as a franchise overall with Gilbride as OC, and the answer is no. He makes the same mistakes other guys do, but those mistakes got emphasized mightily this year with the play of some of his key players.

Replacing the OC this year may be the least of our problems, we might have seen the best of our quarterback, we might lose our running back next year and we have no impact tight end and have to replace 3 of the offensive line. Chances are Nicks goes too. We have some serious other issues.