SportsWrath

Gilbride tells Sirius Radio station what went wrong in 2013

Lughead

Kevin Gilbride offers strong take on what went wrong in 2013

50 m ago By Thomas Rock

image.JPG

Photo credit: Getty Images | Quarterback Eli Manning of the Giants looks over plays with offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride during a game against the Houston Texans. (Oct. 10, 2010)

Kevin Gilbride pointed to two areas as the reason for the Giants’ 28th-ranked offense in 2013: the offensive line and the wide receivers.

The line was clearly an issue as its lack of depth became exposed due to injuries. The Giants used seven different starting combinations and, had they played another game, would have gone to an eighth. That, Gilbride said, changed the way the Giants were used to approaching things.

“In general, I think philosophically we just modified substantially what we normally do,” the recently-retired offensive coordinator told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday night. “We’ve been a dynamic, explosive, throw the ball down the field, let your guys go to a lot of vertical read type of stretch principals, and we had to abandon those. Those are the things that we’d done very well and allowed us to be in the top 10 offensively for a long time. You can’t do it because your quarterback would be on his back while you waited for those things to happen. You became much more conservative, much more three-step oriented, which was good for a while, but people, they’re smart on that (defensive) side of the ball and they identify fairly quickly what your weaknesses are and they realize what your adjustments have been, so they take those things away. When we had to expand what we wanted to do, that’s when our shortcomings manifested themselves.”

The Giants came into the season knowing that the line would be an issue with David Baas and Chris Snee coming off surgeries, David Diehl needing surgery during the preseason, and rookie Justin Pugh starting at tackle. But they came into the season thinking that their receivers would be a strength. With Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and the developing Rueben Randle, the Giants seemed to have a pretty strong trio of options. In fact, in the opener all three had 100-yard games against the Cowboys.

It quickly became clear to Gilbride – and opposing defenses – that the receivers were not a strength.

“Victor Cruz still played very well on the inside for us, but it became readily apparent to defenses that we weren’t playing as well with the outside receiver position,” he said. “That became an area that people just, they had no reservation about lining up just bump and run and getting an extra guy into the box, making it more difficult and challenging to run and forcing you to throw the ball vertically a little bit. You try to throw some three-step fades and fade stops, but they’re sitting on those things.”

So what needs to be fixed? Gilbride is usually mum on such issues because he doesn’t want to speak out of turn. Now that he’s retired, he came up with a pretty long offseason shopping list for the Giants.

“I think if the Giants can get the wideout position straightened out – the outside position, not the inside because between Victor Cruz and the emergence of Jerrel Jernigan at the end, that will help,” he said. “But there’s no question they’re gonna have to get a running back that can be the bell cow. I think we had hoped Andre Brown could be that person but he didn’t come back until about the 9th game, 10th game. It looked like he was gonna be that guy the first couple of games and then he was slowed by injury.

“But I would say the offensive line first and foremost has to be addressed,” Gilbride said with a slight chuckle. “I think Justin Pugh advanced and grew outside as a starter at the right tackle position, but they need another significant upgrade in the o-line and certainly some added depth.”

One of the main issues on the offensive line was the play of tackle Will Beatty, who was signed to a long-term contract last offseason.

“We made the gamble that William Beatty would be the guy and he had played very well last year,” Gilbride said. “This year he did not have as good a year, he was much more inconsistent than he had been the year before. He was slowed by some problems and then of course he finished the year with a significant knee injury, so that remains to be seen how he recovers from that. I think there’s no question he has the physical skills to play the left tackle position. He has the skillset to match up speed-wise with anybody. I just think he’s gotta demonstrate again the commitment and the toughness that you have to have on a play-in and play-out basis. There’s no question in my mind he has the physical talent, it’s just a matter of making his consistency be at the level it needs to be.”

Kevin Gilbride says O-line struggles made it impossible for Eli Manning to function

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

on January 07, 2014 at 9:20 PM, updated January 07, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Former Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride revealed some interesting thoughts about the 2013 season on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday night.

Gilbride, who insisted that it was his decision to retire - "Sometimes it reaches a point where you have to say 'Enough is enough'" - touched on a variety of subjects.

• On the offensive line: "We had been concerned about depth in the offensive line for a while now." He added that the problems along the offensive line "made it impossible for (Eli Manning) to function. ... You give him help and he's proven he can win a championship."

Gilbride also said that protection problems forced him to use more three-step drops and play-action instead of five- and seven-step drops, which are Manning's strength.

• On Mike Sullivan: He said the former Giants assistant would be a "good choice" to replace him, especially if the Giants want "a seamless transition."

• On tight end Brandon Myers: He said Myers would be a good No. 2 tight end. He said the Giants need a bigger, faster tight end and there's "no question" they'll "bring in some people" (i.e. a veteran) at the position.

• On the wide receivers: He said slot receiver Victor Cruz had an outstanding season and it was even more impressive because "it became readily apparent to defenses we weren't playing well on the outside positions."

• On the running backs: He said the Giants need a "bell cow" at the position.

• On left tackle Will Beatty: "I think there's no question (Beatty) has the physical skills to play the left tackle position."

Pretty much spot on, everything he did say needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Need an O-line to make Eli play up to the level he can.

Need a legit threat to make Cruz viable.

Need an starting RB to take pressure off Eli.

Honestly I don't think a single OC in the league could of fixed the problems the Giant's had this season, hopefully a fresh set of eyes will understand how to fix them though.

I don't think Sullivan is the answer either.

He really threw Reese under the bus

Until he builds a successful team I really don't see why JR shouldnt take a heavy share of the blame for the season.

Outside of that 2007 class which was a once in a lifetime draft, JR has done a pretty horrible job setting this team up for success after Accorsi core of guys started to fall apart.

Not for nothing, but fuck this guy.

"Well, our O-line wasn't very good and neither were our recievers." Yeah dipshit, that's why good coordinators make ADJUSTMENTS to compensate for that.

This guy is like the employee that doesn't show up to work for 16 weeks because his car is broken down. Instead of jumping the battery, installing a new alternator, and pushing his car to start it... or fuck, riding a bike... he complains that nobody bought him the replacement parts.

lol it was everyone's fault except his. wonder where he learned that from

I think he just said what exactly he said... the OLine was a problem...and they knew that before the season... hint Reese should have done something.

There's were no adjustment to be made... When you can't run block or pass block. They only you have left is short passes. Once defenses figures that out... Gameover. I never blame the offensive game plan on Gilbride. I thought he did a good job with the Horrid Oline the Giants front office put on the field. This line was pathetic!!! I knew we were in trouble when we played the Colts in the preseason. Our starting Oline couldn't move the ball against the Colts backup defense.

Gilbride pretty much said it himself, they substantially modified their offensive gameplan and the problem is they should have moved completely away from it because they knew what they had going into the season. It was clear there was going to be a problem last season.

Something that has been mentioned over and over again for years is the success we have with running our two minute offense and some of it comes off of the Giants going no huddle. Our RBs couldn't get much out of the backfield and the best Gilbride could do to get them the ball was screen passes and dump-off passes.

There's were no adjustment to be made... When you can't run block or pass block. They only you have left is short passes. Once defenses figures that out... Gameover. I never blame the offensive game plan on Gilbride. I thought he did a good job with the Horrid Oline the Giants front office put on the field. This line was pathetic!!! I knew we were in trouble when we played the Colts in the preseason. Our starting Oline couldn't move the ball against the Colts backup defense.

I love this line of argument; when the offense works it's to Gilly's credit, when it's bad it's because the front office didn't choose the right players, like the coaching staff has no role in the draft, free agency or in actually preparing the players to play.

Reese spent big money in FA (Baas) and our first round pick in the draft (Pugh) on the OLine, yet it's Reese's fault for not addressing the Oline? It's Reese's fault that Beatty somehow regressed from last season, and signing him to a big contract was done without any feedback from the coaches?

Next it will be Reese's fault for the Delay Of Game penalties.

I love this line of argument; when the offense works it's to Gilly's credit, when it's bad it's because the front office didn't choose the right players, like the coaching staff has no role in the draft, free agency or in actually preparing the players to play.

Reese spent big money in FA (Baas) and our first round pick in the draft (Pugh) on the OLine, yet it's Reese's fault for not addressing the Oline? It's Reese's fault that Beatty somehow regressed from last season, and signing him to a big contract was done without any feedback from the coaches?

Signing Baas is nothing to brag about.

Hell, I see the opposite more often, especially here.

When the offense works it's in spite of Gilbride, that exact quote has been written here countless times. and when it fails it's because of Gilbride.

In reality it's part gilbride, part players.

Hell, I see the opposite more often, especially here.

When the offense works it's in spite of Gilbride, that exact quote has been written here countless times. and when it fails it's because of Gilbride.

In reality it's part gilbride, part players.

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen anyone on this board give credit to Gilly.