SportsWrath

Eli confirms Gilbride is clueless.

JMFP

The Giants produced their best ground game of the season, rushing for 202 yards balanced by 30 runs and 30 pass plays. Interestingly, Eli Manning said: “I thought, at times you just kind of say, ‘Let’s keep running it.’ Nine yards, 10 yards a pop, let’s just keep doing it.’’

http://nypost.com/2013/11/25/coughlin-says-giants-will-fight-until-very-end/

This is what the Dallas linebackers looked like heading into the biggest game of the season.....

Three Dallas Cowboys linebackers are inactive Sunday for their game at MetLife Stadium against the New York Giants: starters Sean Lee (hamstring) and Justin Durant (hamstring) and rookie DeVonte Holloman (spine contusion).

Ernie Sims will start at middle linebacker today in place of Lee, and Kyle Wilber will start at strong-side linebacker today in place of Durant. Starting weak-side linebacker Bruce Carter will relay the defensive playcalls on the field today for the Cowboys, taking over that duty from Lee, but he’ll be assited by Sims on pre-snap reads of the Giants’ fronts.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/three-linebackers-inactive-for-dallas-cowboys-on-sunday-ny-giants-wr-hakeem-nicks-wont-play.html/

An excellent article by Connor Orr.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/11/giants_vs_cowboys_rewind_was_the_offense_too_predictable.html

....How predictable is the Giants offense in any given game? And at its core, how effective is it still?

First, here’s a breakdown of every personnel grouping the Giants used on Sunday, and how many times they used each one (you add in 5 offensive lineman plus 1 quarterback and the rest are receivers).

12 personnel (1 running back, 2 TE): 7
20 personnel (2 running backs, 0 TE): 5
21 personnel (2 running backs, 1 TE): 20
22 personnel (2 running backs, 2 TE): 4
02 personnel (0 running backs, 2 TE): 1
10 personnel (1 running back, 0 TE): 2
11 personnel (1 running back, 1 TE): 28

Total No. of snaps = 67, 12 total drives.

Next, we took a look at how many times Gilbride ran or passed out of each formation:

12 personnel: 6 runs and 1 pass (Manning was sacked). (86 percent runs)
20 personnel: All 5 were run plays (100 percent runs)
21 personnel: 12 plays were runs, 8 plays were passes (60 percent runs)
02 personnel: Pass, obviously (100 percent passes)
10 personnel: Both passes (100 percent passes)
11 personnel: 22 passes, 4 runs, one delay of game and one neutral zone infraction (85 percent passes on non-penalty plays).

So his most unpredictable formation, the two running back, one TE set, was used on just 30 percent of the total snaps. All other formations, some with a very limited sample size, were far more unbalanced.

After that, we tried to measure the offense’s success rate, based on a grading scale one defensive coordinator provided me (this is just one way of thinking about things, obviously):

Did first down net four or more yards? Did second down cut the remaining distance in half? Did third down convert?

In the 11 personnel grouping, the one Gilbride used for the majority of plays, he had 11
“successful” plays and 17 “unsuccessful” plays. Three of the successful plays were penalties on Dallas, though (Neutral zone infraction, pass interference and illegal use of the hands). Two of the unsuccessful plays (holding, delay of game) were also unsuccessful.

Some other interesting notes: None of the plays the Giants used in the 22 grouping were, by this scale, considered a success. The Giants had success on 60 percent of their plays out of the 21 grouping. Five of the seven plays run out of the “12” formation were also successful.....

The patchwork Dallas linebackers were helpless in stopping the run, and yet, Gilbride not only didn't exploit it, but continued to lean on formations and plays that were unsuccessful.

Coughlin & Eli deserve a better offensive coordinator. Gilbride has to go.

An excellent article by Connor Orr.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/11/giants_vs_cowboys_rewind_was_the_offense_too_predictable.html

The patchwork Dallas linebackers were helpless in stopping the run, and yet, Gilbride not only didn't exploit it, but continued to lean on formations and plays that were unsuccessful.

Coughlin & Eli deserve a better offensive coordinator. Gilbride has to go.

Coughlin?? He don't deserve shit. He the one who kept this one trick fuck. With all that talent he has, he is willing to let gilbride down grade it. Ever watch a GB or Denver game and totally got trick by the play they lay out on TV??? Yes we don't have that with our Giants. I could basically tell if it's run or pass almost 80% of the time. Nothing mind blowing. Gilbride is a cock sucker.

It doesn't even have to be "unpredictable", in my opinion. If he would just stick with plays that work and stop calling mind-boggling 3rd and goal draw plays or sending in plays that call for all the receivers to run go routes down the field on 3rd and short.

For instance, my fucking FAVORITE series of playcalls in that game, literally had steam coming out of my ears. You have all kinds of success running behind a fullback all game....and John Connor IS one of the better lead blockers, IMO....so you get down to the 5 yard line, and you pull the fullback and send in an extra tight end instead....that's getting too damn fancy...that's saying "Dallas, we may pass, but we have these god awful tight ends who couldn't get open to save our lives, so we are basically spelling out this is a run play here, while still trying to be fancy and fool you"....and lo and behold you LOSE YARDAGE back to the 10 yard line. Next play, some throwaway pass that had no chance of working. 3rd and goal from the 10. FUCKING DRAW PLAY. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?! WHY does this man still have a job?!?!?

And this is probably more on Eli than anything, but how MANY times do I have to watch him target a receiver who isn't actually in the end zone while down in the red zone? Bear Pascoe isn't going to reach the end zone if he catches the ball at the 5....even if there were no defenders within 50 yards of him!!!! But shit, if there's a hope and a prayer that a guy might miss a tackle or Bear Pascoe suddenly could become Barry Sanders, that's where the ball is going. Fuck running some playaction and hitting a guy with a nice timing route, it's corner fade, dump off to the flats, or throw it out of the back of the end zone with this guy (or, get lucky as hell and flail around until Louis Murphy Jr. gets forgotten about and toss a duck over to him).

It doesn't even have to be "unpredictable", in my opinion. If he would just stick with plays that work and stop calling mind-boggling 3rd and goal draw plays or sending in plays that call for all the receivers to run go routes down the field on 3rd and short.

For instance, my fucking FAVORITE series of playcalls in that game, literally had steam coming out of my ears. You have all kinds of success running behind a fullback all game....and John Connor IS one of the better lead blockers, IMO....so you get down to the 5 yard line, and you pull the fullback and send in an extra tight end instead....that's getting too damn fancy...that's saying "Dallas, we may pass, but we have these god awful tight ends who couldn't get open to save our lives, so we are basically spelling out this is a run play here, while still trying to be fancy and fool you"....and lo and behold you LOSE YARDAGE back to the 10 yard line. Next play, some throwaway pass that had no chance of working. 3rd and goal from the 10. FUCKING DRAW PLAY. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?! WHY does this man still have a job?!?!?

And this is probably more on Eli than anything, but how MANY times do I have to watch him target a receiver who isn't actually in the end zone while down in the red zone? Bear Pascoe isn't going to reach the end zone if he catches the ball at the 5....even if there were no defenders within 50 yards of him!!!! But shit, if there's a hope and a prayer that a guy might miss a tackle or Bear Pascoe suddenly could become Barry Sanders, that's where the ball is going. Fuck running some playaction and hitting a guy with a nice timing route, it's corner fade, dump off to the flats, or throw it out of the back of the end zone with this guy (or, get lucky as hell and flail around until Louis Murphy Jr. gets forgotten about and toss a duck over to him).

this... a lot can be laid at Eli's feet as well... he does have the permission to check out of plays...if the runs are working then keep it going... At this point Saint Gilbride is low on parishioners so to speak ...he has no constituency anymore...no one is going to fall over to protect him in management so basically Eli has the whip hand if he would use it. However ...laying it all on Saint Gilbride also gives him a sop to lay things on when he (Eli) fucks up.

Wait--you mean when he plans to throw a pass, he puts out as many receivers as possible? On a team whose offensive strength was originally thought to be its passing game/wide receivers?

This IS shocking news...

Holy shit.

Cue the guy who hasn't watched the past 11 games. What team are you watching? Seriously, dude. The team cannot pass the ball. Despite what MIGHT have been.

Cue the guy who hasn't watched the past 11 games. What team are you watching? Seriously, dude. The team cannot pass the ball. Despite what MIGHT have been.

Yep, haven't watched any games.

The team can't pass the ball because it doesn't have a tight end worth a damn, or an offensive line--guess what you need for a running game?

But tell us, how exactly would you line up the team that would be oh so different?

0 TE's and 2 running backs every play? That MIGHT work, if we had a running back that could catch consistently (which we don't have) or a QB that throws a decent short pass. But seeing as we don't have EITHER, it might get a little easy to stop the run with that formation. Especially when we play a team whose front 7 isn't sitting on the fucking couch.

It's a bad season. Reese took some gambles he had to take because of the cap, and lost most of them. I've already mentioned a few times that this is Gilbride's worst season because he hasn't adjusted to the inadequacies of the line. You'll never convince me that Fewell is worth a damn, because no matter what, this defense can't make the big stop--not just this year, but every year he's been the DC. You can say that Gilbride's offense has made the big play--and it has on a number of occasions.

Personal attack? Fuck you. Enjoy this section.

Yep, haven't watched any games.

The team can't pass the ball because it doesn't have a tight end worth a damn, or an offensive line--guess what you need for a running game?

But tell us, how exactly would you line up the team that would be oh so different?

0 TE's and 2 running backs every play? That MIGHT work, if we had a running back that could catch consistently (which we don't have) or a QB that throws a decent short pass. But seeing as we don't have EITHER, it might get a little easy to stop the run with that formation. Especially when we play a team whose front 7 isn't sitting on the fucking couch.

It's a bad season. Reese took some gambles he had to take because of the cap, and lost most of them. I've already mentioned a few times that this is Gilbride's worst season because he hasn't adjusted to the inadequacies of the line. You'll never convince me that Fewell is worth a damn, because no matter what, this defense can't make the big stop--not just this year, but every year he's been the DC. You can say that Gilbride's offense has made the big play--and it has on a number of occasions.

Personal attack? Fuck you. Enjoy this section.

If I didn't have a tight end worth a damn, I certainly wouldn't throw two of them on the field. That's asinine. Guess what? We haven't thrown to a running back since TIki Barber. Not because they can't catch, but because they don't do it. Vertical passing teams tend not to utilize their running back in the passing game. Yet, you can't constantly try to force a vertical passing game that doesn't work. However, if something IS in fact working, you stick with it. And you run out of the formations you have success in. It's not about unpredictability, it's about playing to strengths.

I'm fine with any defensive effort that allows a mere 17 points in this NFL. You aren't getting much better than that and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. The NFL game today is a race to see who can possess the ball in the last two minutes of the half and the game. This defense forces turnovers and holds teams under twenty. That's really all you can do with the way the game is played these days. In the last five weeks, I'd wager the offense and special teams have given up more points than the Giants defense. It's ridiculous for you to fault a team for not being able to stop Tony Romo when it counts (despite what people say, he's pretty good at bringing his team back) when the offense did nothing, and has done nothing all season. You cannot win games matching touchdowns with field goals, even if your defense only gives up two of them.

Not for nothing but at 4-7 its obvious everyone on the fucking team is clueless. Eli can change play calls at the line and its nothing new. I am an Eli supporter but he needs to man the fuck up, take a good look In the mirror and find out just wtf is goin on with his play calls.

Eli has checked down on 3rd and long before this season and ran a draw. He did it last year, he did it the year before. He has this option. You want to blame Gilbride then you tell then take that option away from him. And you can be mad as hell at Gilbride for last week, but you'd be picking the wrong week to do so. All you had to do was look at the boneheads running their routes like something out of like mice in a cage. Also, Eli did a lot of shit wrong but the throw to Murphy wasn't one of them, fact is we shat all over him in the past for not scrambling and it was him scrambling that pulled the defense towards him and freed up Murphy.

Gilbride apologists. There's no excuse for the red zone travesty that occurs every season.

Agreed.....I'd love to see a new coordinator....one who calls plays that both the receiver and QB understand.....that would be revolutionary.

Bottom line....take away all the bonehead miscommunications on offense, and this team is probably sitting at 6-5 even with this soft-ass Reese roster.

I don't know if this is soft ass or soft in the head roster. There's a level of bonehead on this team that I haven't seen in a while. Too many projects IMO.

Among other things, it's been bad drafting. Seems like every major pick by Reese has had a critical flaw, or a combination of flaws.....lack of durability, toughness, intelligence, and/or passion.

Reese's job performance mirrors this team's 4-7 record....he's had a below-average streak that was obscured by the highly improbable 2011 run.