SportsWrath

Positives to take from Vikings game

gmenroc

Let me preface this by saying that we're still not making the playoffs and we still have issues to resolve on this team. Also, that a lot of this could be based on the fact we played the Vikings of all teams. That said...

I loved the run defense. Granted, our defense knew the Vikings were going to be one dimensional with Peterson, but they still came through. AP has played against 8 or 9 in the box before with success, but we were able to shut him down. I'm convinced the Vikings threw so often because the Giants were stacked to stop Peterson. It was no secret to the Vikings what the Giants were going to do on defense, but the Giants were still able to dictate what the Vikings were going to do. That was a feeling that's been missing for quite some time. Again, we need to realize that it was the Vikings, so enthusiasm and excitement needs reined in just a bit.

Hillis was a good signing. It's nice to see 2 or 3 yards on a run, but what's more impressive to me, and what I think should be eye opening to the Giants coaches is his ability to chip block and get out for a dump off. The Vikings were clearly unprepared for that facet and I think most teams going against a new RB signed off the street would have been just as surprised by it. It's a wrinkle of offense that we've truly missed since the Tiki days and I really think that should change with Hillis/Wilson/Brown/Jacobs/Cox, whomever might start against the Eagles.

Jon Beason continues to impress. I think that this should be equally eye-opening. For years, the Giants have discredited the value of the LB position and I think that a player like Beason can show the organization that perhaps we can't completely ignore the position. Sure, we might not get the best, new flashy name, and that's okay, but you must have at least one or two capable guys who aren't bargain basement players. Beason isn't going to set the world on fire anymore, but he's a capable guy who can play. I'm really hoping that the draft brings us a LB who can fit that mold and that Beason shows the Giants that the position is not as useless as the organization has treated it.

Nicks - proved last night why we should entertain trades. One week, he's dinged up. Next week, he can't get separation. Week after that, he has more drops than catches. He's replaceable, especially at the contract he'll likely be offered by another team. (Okay, so this one isn't so positive...but it's every bit as true).

I'll leave it at that because there's still 6 losses on our record out of 7 games. I think a win against the Eagles, heading into our bye week would do wonders for the confidence of this team.

The fullback had more targets than Nicks last night, and you better not be blaming him for the missed TD on the opening drive. Eli knows he's not playing well and leaned heavily on the short, safe option...and he was still under 60% completion and still nearly got picked 2-3 times. We can beat very few teams with dump-off passes and 2 ypc running. QB play and run block both have to improve dramatically.

The fullback had more targets than Nicks last night, and you better not be blaming him for the missed TD on the opening drive. Eli knows he's not playing well and leaned heavily on the short, safe option...and he was still under 60% completion and still nearly got picked 2-3 times. We can beat very few teams with dump-off passes and 2 ypc running. QB play and run block both have to improve dramatically.

but..but..he got his fingertips on it

word on the street is that Frazier wanted nothing to do with putting Freeman in that game, let alone leaving him in there. That decision came from upstairs.

He sure didn't look happy about it.

Freeman's banking $10 million this year. lol.

word on the street is that Frazier wanted nothing to do with putting Freeman in that game, let alone leaving him in there. That decision came from upstairs.

He's definitely gone at the end of the year. Not a good sign when management is overruling the HC

Let me preface this by saying that we're still not making the playoffs and we still have issues to resolve on this team. Also, that a lot of this could be based on the fact we played the Vikings of all teams. That said...

I loved the run defense. Granted, our defense knew the Vikings were going to be one dimensional with Peterson, but they still came through. AP has played against 8 or 9 in the box before with success, but we were able to shut him down. I'm convinced the Vikings threw so often because the Giants were stacked to stop Peterson. It was no secret to the Vikings what the Giants were going to do on defense, but the Giants were still able to dictate what the Vikings were going to do. That was a feeling that's been missing for quite some time. Again, we need to realize that it was the Vikings, so enthusiasm and excitement needs reined in just a bit.

Hillis was a good signing. It's nice to see 2 or 3 yards on a run, but what's more impressive to me, and what I think should be eye opening to the Giants coaches is his ability to chip block and get out for a dump off. The Vikings were clearly unprepared for that facet and I think most teams going against a new RB signed off the street would have been just as surprised by it. It's a wrinkle of offense that we've truly missed since the Tiki days and I really think that should change with Hillis/Wilson/Brown/Jacobs/Cox, whomever might start against the Eagles.

Jon Beason continues to impress. I think that this should be equally eye-opening. For years, the Giants have discredited the value of the LB position and I think that a player like Beason can show the organization that perhaps we can't completely ignore the position. Sure, we might not get the best, new flashy name, and that's okay, but you must have at least one or two capable guys who aren't bargain basement players. Beason isn't going to set the world on fire anymore, but he's a capable guy who can play. I'm really hoping that the draft brings us a LB who can fit that mold and that Beason shows the Giants that the position is not as useless as the organization has treated it.

Nicks - proved last night why we should entertain trades. One week, he's dinged up. Next week, he can't get separation. Week after that, he has more drops than catches. He's replaceable, especially at the contract he'll likely be offered by another team. (Okay, so this one isn't so positive...but it's every bit as true).

I'll leave it at that because there's still 6 losses on our record out of 7 games. I think a win against the Eagles, heading into our bye week would do wonders for the confidence of this team.

Great points, gmenroc, and I agree pretty much across the board.

It says alot that Hillis was able to come into this game with one week of preparation and provide the 3rd down versatility that Da'Rel Scott could not provide. Coughlin was clearly very impressed with him, and honestly, I think this dude stays on the roster for the rest of the season and might have a job next year.

You can't downplay his ability to switch between pass protection and sliding out as an outlet receiver.....that takes quick recognition.....he fooled the Vikings a couple times with that ability, and come up with some big conversions to keep drives alive.

I"m pretty convinced that Hillis is their 3rd down back for the rest of the season, even if Brown and Wilson come back.

Regarding Beason.....I could not agree more. It's just crazy to me that the Giants would forget their roots with respect to the MLB.

Tom Landry pioneered the 4-3 defense when he was the Giants defensive coordinator. And the scheme was built SPECIFICALLY to move their best player - Sam Huff - OFF THE LINE and into the MLB spot so he could use his athleticism to maximum advantage. This notion that a linebacker is less important in a 4-3 defense goes completely against what the defense was originally designed to do. And with Beason, it's clear what a huge difference a capable MLB can make.