SportsWrath

3 QBs =

JMFP

.....one less roster spot for players who might actually contribute.

Case in point.....look at the DT position. Last year, it was a major weakness. This year, we'll likely have to cut loose a player that will land on another NFL team.

We won the SB with three QBs on the roster.

Manning, Hefty Lefty and Wright.

And Joe, since you're so sure we will be cutting a much needed player for Nassib's roster spot.

Who do we cut? Where does he end up? How many SB winning touchdown passes does he end up catching in his career?

Another question Joe, in the last five seasons, how many players have the Giants cut that went on to do anything even noticeable in their career?

We won the SB with three QBs on the roster.

Manning, Hefty Lefty and Wright.

And Joe, since you're so sure we will be cutting a much needed player for Nassib's roster spot.

Who do we cut? Where does he end up? How many SB winning touchdown passes does he end up catching in his career?

Another question Joe, in the last five seasons, how many players have the Giants cut that went on to do anything even noticeable in their career?

Jo-Load was a rookie, and Wright was nowhere near Carr's ability.

Most likely, we dump a decent DT to keep Nassib....the rest of your commentary was below what I expect from a man of your caliber.

Most likely, we dump a decent DT to keep Nassib....the rest of your commentary was below what I expect from a man of your caliber.

What decent DT do we dump? Last season and most other seasons the Giants carry four to five DTs.

I imagine the Giant's will be keeping Hankins, Austin, Joesph, Patterson and Jenkins and I suspect Rogers and Okam are cut, maybe Rogers pushes Patterson out of a spot in the pre-season.

So far all the other DTs have outperformed Rogers and Okam, Rogers might get picked up by another team for veteran depth, Okam has been a journey man all his career and hasnt done a thing.

Besides I think a player like Mundy or Sash are going to be cut in place of Nassib.

Jo-Load was a rookie, and Wright was nowhere near Carr's ability.

Am I the only one here who has zero confidence in Carr? The dude blows...

Am I the only one here who has zero confidence in Carr? The dude blows...

I was just going to say...have you been watching Carr play, Joe? He has zero touch and zero ability to put the ball where it needs to be. About the only thing he can throw is quick slants and comebacks because he slings the ball in there like Randy Johnson every throw.

I used to think he was serviceable, mainly because he throws pretty well on the move...but now I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Nassib backing up Manning as the #2 and just parting ways with David Carr.

Carr is still better than Nassib at this point. Nassib hasn't proven shit whereas in Carr's case, while he's not a starting QB in this league anymore, he's certainly a quality backup that I think could succeed if he were taking all the reps in practice and if he were to practice with the #1s, etc.

Speaking of cuts, when is the date where the team trims to the final 53?

I was just going to say...have you been watching Carr play, Joe? He has zero touch and zero ability to put the ball where it needs to be. About the only thing he can throw is quick slants and comebacks because he slings the ball in there like Randy Johnson every throw.

I used to think he was serviceable, mainly because he throws pretty well on the move...but now I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Nassib backing up Manning as the #2 and just parting ways with David Carr.

The part you are missing though is a veteran QB is worth more than a rookie if less talented. There is a reason Carr is in on conversions with Eli and Gilbride on the sidelines. He has experience to input while Nassib would have nothing. I suppose though he could be a Russell Wilson, then sure cut Carr if Nassib is picking up the Giants O fast.

Carr can win an NFL football game for us. That's the job for a backup. Nassib, highly unlikely. He is very wet behind the ears... judging his preseason performance so far, the game is still too fast for him.

But before you go criticizing Carr even more, realize that Eli has looked pretty bad thus far as well in preseason. But nobody's really getting on his case because for Eli, they give him the benefit of the doubt, and realize he's getting crap protection so far, and that's with the one's.

Now consider Carr, playing behind guys like Cordle, Selvish Capers, Browning... Carr has had almost ZERO protection in front of him... which could be the epitaph on his entire NFL career. When he does get protection, Carr can move the ball, and he's shown that. Absolutely he should be our #2 QB. If he's not, it's because TC has a lot of faith in Eli's durability, and feels Nassib will come along enough before it becomes an issue.

There's a lot to be said about "touch" when throwing the ball. As an old timer, I remember well watching Dan Pastorini throw a football like a baseball pitcher. He didn't throw a ball, he could sling it like it came out of a sling shot. He bounced more passes off his receiver's chest than he had balls caught. The best QB I ever saw who understood the meaning of "touch" was Kenny Stabler "The Snake". His balls were always lofted with an easy arc - you could practically count the rotations of the ball as it soared through the air and his timing was incredible. It would land softly right into the hands of his receiver.

But you're right about Carr. He does not have "the touch" needed to give the receivers the best shot at catching the ball. Dan Marino learned to tame down his throws after he bounced passes off his receivers' hands, chest, and sometimes the back of their heads so often that they had gotten scared of the ball. Marino didn't fling the ball like Pastorini, but without the windup, he could throw a ball through a brick wall. Once Marino tamed it down and relied more on timing, he was a great QB.

Carr can win an NFL football game for us. That's the job for a backup. Nassib, highly unlikely. He is very wet behind the ears... judging his preseason performance so far, the game is still too fast for him.

But before you go criticizing Carr even more, realize that Eli has looked pretty bad thus far as well in preseason. But nobody's really getting on his case because for Eli, they give him the benefit of the doubt, and realize he's getting crap protection so far, and that's with the one's.

Now consider Carr, playing behind guys like Cordle, Selvish Capers, Browning... Carr has had almost ZERO protection in front of him... which could be the epitaph on his entire NFL career. When he does get protection, Carr can move the ball, and he's shown that. Absolutely he should be our #2 QB. If he's not, it's because TC has a lot of faith in Eli's durability, and feels Nassib will come along enough before it becomes an issue.

Very well said, Jim. Carr is playing behind a scrub line. Give him some protection, and a defense that can keep the score close, and he's capable of winning a game if needed.

I don't want to knock Nassib.....I'm sure down the road he'll get better. I just question the decision given Eli's durability and age, and given much more pressing roster needs. I would have much preferred seeing Reese spend a 4th and 6th pick to address needs at OL or LB.

What is done is done, though.

I thought the 2nd string line was decent. Nassib has worst protection then Carr. Carr gets hit cause he has a three hour delivery. You are right though, the game does seem to be too fast for Nassib, so far. His footwork, is what bothers me the most. It's something then can be taught, though. You can never really change a QB's mechanics.

It all goes to what Vince Lombardi said. He never wanted to say it publicly, but I'm reading "When pride still mattered" and his biggest fear was that when his QB got hurt, he was SO vital to the Packers success (Bart Starr) that the season would go down the tubes.

He was right then, he's right now. If Eli Manning got hurt for an extended period of time, then it wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants on the clock with a top 5-7 draft pick.

Different era of football, before free agency though. David Carr ain't no Hoss.

I think most people are assuming like myself that Carr is out the door after this season and Nassib is going to be the emergency plan for the next number of seasons.

You never know though, Nassib could develop into a good QB after a couple season in the NFL and god forbid if Eli ever got hurt for an extended period of games you would want someone to come in who knows your system and can atleast give you a chance at winning a game. I still to this day never believed Carr gave us any chance of winning and thought a guy like Sage Rosenfelds(sp) would of been the better option.

Think of a guy like Charlie Batch, he wasnt drafted by the Steelers but after a few years in the league he was signed by them and did nothing but play back up for the last 10 seasons and coming in to replace and win games whenever a Pittsburgh QB went down.

Honestly if that's what Nassib becomes for a fourth round pick, then I would consider the Giants lucky that is all we had to give up. Plus who knows Nassib might be starting for Big Blue one day.

None of us are GMs and none of us know what JR and company plans are for the Giants, the best we can do is cheer Nassib on and hope whatever JR has planned works out.

It wont be much longer and the free agent market will be filling up with cuts.You never know who will be there Maybe our next fill in back up QB. By fill in I mean a QB that will be there just in case ELI gets hurt and until Nassib "get's it" both the cerebral part of the offence and the physical Back up position. both will probably come hand in hand. I get this Fave/Rodgers feeling(watch, learn/ Mentor,student). Not saying Eli is done in 2 years, he could have 8 more years.