SportsWrath

Poll on Wide Receivers

BleedinBlue

Wide Receivers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If we are forced to keep only one - which one do you prefer and why?

• Hakeem Nicks
    • Victor Cruz
  2. 2. Pick the 3 or 4 WR's we carry along with Nicks/Cruz - who do you think will surprise this year?

• Rueben Randle
    • Brandon Collins
    • Louis Murphy
    • Jerrel Jernigan
    • Ramses Barden
    • Kris Adams
    • Keith Carlos
    • Kevin Hardy
    • Jeremy Horne

You party with Ginger, you marry Mary Anne. Nicks is definitely Mary Anne in this scenario.

Ha, ha....great analogy.

There's a reason Nicks ALWAYS gets double coverage....and that simply makes everyone else that much better. And even in double coverage, he still makes the big plays. If 90% of WR's got double coverage, they'd barely make enough catches to be anything other than a once a year flash.

no, 88.64% of respondents are wrong. Ramses Fucking Barden, all day long!

I like Barden, but I believe he has to have a training camp of all training camps to make the team. He has to know the playbook inside out, and show he can juke and sway to throw off defenders while having hands like fly paper catching everything remotely close to him...including a few spectacular plays to raise eyebrows.

His biggest chance to make the team will be if one of the goto guys ahead of him get injured and he moves up a slot in the order. I think Collins probably makes the team because he's a "slot" receiver - and apparently, a good slot receiver, meaning it puts Jernigan in the hot seat who was being groomed for the slot. I think it's a battle between Jernigan and Barden for the last spot on the team. And as bad as Barden has been, Jernigan has been worse when given the chance.

There are other players like Hakeem Nicks around the league (and even on our team) but there are very few Victor Cruzes. Not many guys can beat double coverage deep to win us a game, stop on a dime and accelerate to full speed in one step, and outjump a corner six inches bigger than him to come down with the ball.

People keep comparing Cruz to Welker but a more fair comparison is really Carolina's Stve Smith, and even Smith was never as strong or athletic as Cruz is.

As for the other four guys, I say we keep:

Randle (heir apparent to Nicks)

Collins

Murphy (something tells me he'll be here for more than one year)

Barden (not because he's wonderful, but because Jerell Jernigan sucks and aside from a kickoff return has literally shown nothing his entire career)

Another question though... Is this the best group of recievers Eli has ever gotten to work with? Cruz and Nicks are proven commodities, Randle looks ready to step up in a big way, and Murphy looks to be a great downfield burner.

EDIT: not to mention that TE we picked up in the offseason.

There are other players like Hakeem Nicks around the league (and even on our team) but there are very few Victor Cruzes. Not many guys can beat double coverage deep to win us a game, stop on a dime and accelerate to full speed in one step, and outjump a corner six inches bigger than him to come down with the ball.

People keep comparing Cruz to Welker but a more fair comparison is really Carolina's Stve Smith, and even Smith was never as strong or athletic as Cruz is.

As for the other four guys, I say we keep:

Randle (heir apparent to Nicks)

Collins

Murphy (something tells me he'll be here for more than one year)

Barden (not because he's wonderful, but because Jerell Jernigan sucks and aside from a kickoff return has literally shown nothing his entire career)

Whoa... I think that in his prime, Steve Smith, the Carolina edition, was head and shoulders above Cruz. That guy even made Jake Delhomme look good.

Another question though... Is this the best group of recievers Eli has ever gotten to work with? Cruz and Nicks are proven commodities, Randle looks ready to step up in a big way, and Murphy looks to be a great downfield burner.

Without a doubt this is the best group of receivers Eli has ever gotten to work with....perhaps the greatest group of receivers any Giant QB has ever had the opportunity to work with. There's like 7 legitimate receiving threats on this team.

And if the receivers listen to Eli and get in his head, there is no limit to what they can accomplish. We will be a high octane aerial offense this year. And it should open up the ground game because there is no way a team can ignore covering the potential receivers. I see Wilson getting 1200 yards this year and Brown getting about 800, but more TD's than Wilson.

Too bad I didn't have as much faith in our defensive backfield (especially CB's) that I do in our offense.

Whoa... I think that in his prime, Steve Smith, the Carolina edition, was head and shoulders above Cruz. That guy even made Jake Delhomme look good.

Stats-wise, Cruz has had a better start to his career than Smith had.

It's certainly debatable.

edit: and Ramses Barden

If I had to choose, it's Nicks all the way but no doubt they maximize each other's effectiveness.....and no doubt the Giants will do everything they can to keep both of them. We all saw the offense sputter without Nicks last year and having Nicks and no Cruz would lead to similar struggles.

All I know is that having Nicks, Cruz, and Randle (not to mention Myers) on paper this year has me thinking that this will be the most powerful offense I'll see in a Giants uniform.

Agreed. And with Wilson and Brown and pretty much a stable OL that's been addressed at least in the draft... I think we're cooking. I also think the D will be much improved over last year.. but maybe that's the homer in me.

All I know is that having Nicks, Cruz, and Randle (not to mention Myers) on paper this year has me thinking that this will be the most powerful offense I'll see in a Giants uniform.

There's a shit ton of potential there in Nicks, Cruz and Randle. Throw in Wilson and Brown in the backfield with Eli and we have the makings of a very potent offense. I really think that Nicks undervalued, based on his comments, the need to be in practice together. It's not just his timing with Eli that he needs to consider..but the timing with the new guys. I think there's a certain level of cohesion that must be achieved and the more time they're on the field together, the better that tends to work out.

That said, the offensive line is dicey. Injuries are creeping in and despite spending a first rounder this year, Pugh hasn't done shit that we can rely on just yet. The loss of Bennett and Bradshaw when it comes to blocking will be felt at some point. I'm just hoping Eli gets up after it does. You can have all the weapons in the world, but you need a few seconds to find them.

Defensively, the secondary scares the shit out of me, particularly at corner. Safety, I think we're pretty set. Linebacker is a crapshoot. Defensive line, they just need to man up. We have the players on the defensive line, they just need to play. A lot hinges on Tuck. However, if the secondary and linebackers can't at least be decent in coverage, the defensive line is a waste of talent because teams will complete 7-yard passes all day. The 3rd safety helps tremendously there, but I'm not getting a very confident sense of our defense just yet.