SportsWrath

Poll on Wide Receivers

BleedinBlue

Wide Receivers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If we are forced to keep only one - which one do you prefer and why?

• Hakeem Nicks
    • Victor Cruz
  2. 2. Pick the 3 or 4 WR's we carry along with Nicks/Cruz - who do you think will surprise this year?

• Rueben Randle
    • Brandon Collins
    • Louis Murphy
    • Jerrel Jernigan
    • Ramses Barden
    • Kris Adams
    • Keith Carlos
    • Kevin Hardy
    • Jeremy Horne

I think Cruz leaves just because he's looking for a big pay day and some team will give him 9 to 11 million a year.

Nicks will cost less and I wouldnt be surprised to see that 8 million dollar a year contract that Cruz passed giving to Nicks during the mid way point this year IF Nicks is having a beast season.

We carry Randle, Murphy, Barden and Jerrigan.

Murphy is the only one out of the group who doesnt have any experience in the system however he and Barden are only on one year contracts so we need someone to step up or draft/bring in another WR(s) next year.

I haven't heard anything about any of these other WRs.

TC has made comments about Collins looking very good.

I suspect they'll keep Barden, but I think Jernigan better show some flash coming up or he'll be cut IMO.

When you compare the stats, Cruz's numbers look awfully good even compared to Nicks. However, Nicks has been hobbled the last couple of years. If Nicks is healthy for the whole season, he'll be one very dangerous receiver...more so than Cruz IMO.

Nicks... hands down. Cruz is now a Diva in my book. Basically a Terrel Owens and an attention whore... I know it's a business but at the end of the day $8M a year is a lot of fucking money.

Nicks... hands down. Cruz is now a Diva in my book. Basically a Terrel Owens and an attention whore... I know it's a business but at the end of the day $8M a year is a lot of fucking money.

When you look at who we have, we have to think about which one would be more easily replaced. Nicks is a number 1 WR and always gets double teamed and runs the long route where as Cruz is specifically a slot receiver....a dangerous one, but a slot receiver none the less and is always single teamed. Also, whatever Cruz settles for will be the starting point for Nicks as he knows he's the no. one type WR. Nicks will want a million more than Cruz...or maybe more. I think Nicks is more valuable, but Cruz would be harder to replace.

I think Randle is more in the mold of Nicks (as is Murphy, Collins, and Barden). Jernigan is the only true slot receiver on the team right now and he's caught what, like 3 passes in 2 years for something like 25 yards total? Not encouraging.

If we cut Cruz, we're going to have a problem....unless, we go the Cowboy's route and pump pass after pass to a TE, ala Romo to Whitten for a pickup of 11 time and time again.

It's a tough call, but I don't see the Giants keeping both players next year. And we have a pretty good looking staff of youngsters ready to step up.

Article this morning in the NY Post

NFL agent: Cruz's only option to sign Giants deal

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Victor Cruz has no choice between now and training camp but to sign the multi-year offer the Giants weeks ago put on the table, because playing for less than $3 million for this season makes absolutely no sense.

So says a prominent NFL player agent who has done many lucrative deals throughout the league.

"I don't see how he can't [sign the deal] now, I don't understand it, it's just logic" said the agent, who asked not to be identified.

Cruz walked into the Giants' facility Friday and signed the one-year tender that will pay him $2.879 million for the 2013 season. Both the Giants and Cruz hope a long-term deal can be finalized before the July 26 reporting date for training camp, but for that to happen, Cruz is going to have to accept he will not be earning what he believes is his market value.

"I don't see any scenario where he gets any more money than they have on the table right now," the agent said, "unless out of the goodness of their heart they decide to throw him a couple extra million.

"If you're Victor Cruz, you're never getting paid by the Giants, ever. They've never had an $11 million receiver, you're not gonna be it. They had every opportunity to lock you up - they've given you exactly what they feel you're worth. You can disagree until the cows come home, it does not matter. And now you're going to go out there and help make them better, which is going to make them stronger. If you can live with that, then that's what you should do".

Cruz eyed a deal that averaged at least $10 million per year and the Giants countered with a contract that would pay him more than $7 million per year. It is believed the Giants are offering $12-15 million in guaranteed money and Cruz is seeking $15-18 million in guaranteed money.

If Cruz did not sign the tender he could have held out of training camp with no repercussions, as the Giants could not fine him because he would not have had a contract. That leverage is now gone for Cruz, who would incur fines of $30,000 for every day he held out of training camp.

"You look weak," the agent said. "I want a long-term deal and I'm not going to play unless you give me one," and then I sign, which takes my leverage away from getting a long-term deal. There are some players who will come in and say, "I trust the team and hopefully they do the right thing," which is basically what Cruz is doing".

The Giants can prevent Cruz from hitting the open market until the 2015 season, as after this season they can designate him a franchise player, which would pay Cruz $10.5 million for the 2014 season. In that scenario, he would play the next two years for slightly more than $13 million, considerably less than what Cruz believes is his market value.

"This year doesn't help him at all," the agent said. "What's Cruz going to do this year other than become overexposed? He could go out there and have 100 receptions for 1,300 yards and 12 touchdowns and be the hottest thing on the market next year and then they'll just franchise him. That's all he's playing for".

Taking out a disability insurance policy for the season would not help Cruz, as the payoff is based only on a career-ending injury and not income replacement.

If Cruz did not sign the tender, he could have sat out the season and then hit the open market, but would have burned his bridges with the Giants. Clearly, he wants to stay and get paid, and that desire likely will lead him to relent and accept the standing offer.

I made a stronger argument in the "Cruz" thread... the writer above failed to mention that Cruz had to sign the tender or else risk the Giants lowering the offer to $600K... Cruz had no choice but to sign that... The Giants have leverage and offered what many think is a fair deal.... I'm not worried about Cruz not being a Giant... that $8M per year can go towards signing a stud on the Defensive side of the ball.

I made a stronger argument in the "Cruz" thread... the writer above failed to mention that Cruz had to sign the tender or else risk the Giants lowering the offer to $600K... Cruz had no choice but to sign that... The Giants have leverage and offered what many think is a fair deal.... I'm not worried about Cruz not being a Giant... that $8M per year can go towards signing a stud on the Defensive side of the ball.

How many players available now in free agency or as RFAs can you name that would have a bigger impact on this team than Cruz?

How many players available now in free agency or as RFAs can you name that would have a bigger impact on this team than Cruz?

None of course....and if you limit it to "slot receivers", there's none on any team that compares to Cruz. Perhaps Wes Welker who signed a 2-year deal with the Broncos for 6.1 mill per year with incentives to make more?

As far as keeping, I voted for Cruz for a coulple reasons. First, the Giants/Cruz have already started negotiating it and despite his signing the tender, he mentioned that work on a long term deal would continue. Secondly, I voted Cruz because of Randle. We have Randle would replaces Nicks far better than he replaces Cruz. Lastly, Nicks is constantly dinged up to the point where he's missing time. It's not just a tweaked this or a tweaked that...it's bigger deal stuff that has him missing games or being completely ineffective in those games. I'll take a healthy player over a guy who struggles to make the field, pretty much regardless of talent.

As far as the other receivers, it's been pretty well documented that Murphy was brought in for a reason and he's been nothing but professional since he's been here. Seems to be a guy who realizes the opportunity before him. Randle has shown a huge improvement over last season, where he showed flashes, but was inconsistent. Randle is still young at that. JJ, we keep, only because of his potential PR/KR role that he may have to accept to be kept on the team. As good as Wilson was, I don't want to put a starter, and a potential game changing starter, in a position to get injured. I also added Collins, simply because of the positives he's been receiving thus far. He'll likely be battling Barden for that last spot.

Nicks.

Randle, Murphy, Jernigan, Collins.

and the only 'surprise' is I think Jernigan will contribute, not a whole lot, but he will contribute. other than that I think the wr corps will do what is mostly expected.

That would not have happened. I'd think Cruz would sit out the season if the Giants punked him like that.

Nicks.

Randle, Murphy, Jernigan, Collins.

and the only 'surprise' is I think Jernigan will contribute, not a whole lot, but he will contribute. other than that I think the wr corps will do what is mostly expected.

Agree with Pdub.... except with Collins. I can't say who yet because we don't know anything about who really deserves that final WR spot. Might be Collins, might be another guy... but I imagine it will be someone who works hard and contributes on specials. Barden doesn't really add anything on specials, so he's likely not my guy for the 6th receiver.

Nicks is my guy because he's the most dangerous, biggest weapon we have in the receiving corps. Pardon the hyperbole, but choosing Cruz over Nicks is akin to choosing John Taylor over Jerry Rice. It's like choosing a Mercedes over an Astin Martin. It's like choosing first class over your own private jet. It's like choosing MaryAnne over Ginger. One is nice, but the other is just better.

Nicks is my guy because he's the most dangerous, biggest weapon we have in the receiving corps. Pardon the hyperbole, but choosing Cruz over Nicks is akin to choosing John Taylor over Jerry Rice. It's like choosing a Mercedes over an Astin Martin. It's like choosing first class over your own private jet. It's like choosing MaryAnne over Ginger. One is nice, but the other is just better.

true that

Agree with Pdub.... except with Collins. I can't say who yet because we don't know anything about who really deserves that final WR spot. Might be Collins, might be another guy... but I imagine it will be someone who works hard and contributes on specials. Barden doesn't really add anything on specials, so he's likely not my guy for the 6th receiver.

I was with you and nodding my head up and down right up until you got to choosing Mary Anne over Ginger, as though Ginger was really the hot one.

Ginger talked sexy like she was hot in the sack, while Mary Anne played sweet and innocent. My experience has been that those who talk hot aren't...and those sweet and innocent ones are friggin little packages of dynamite when the lights dim.

C6_Qbl_SPT9oig523lfb_Ik4p3yo1_501.jpg

I think both Nicks and Cruz are going through the motions but in the end I think they're both high-character guys and I expect both of them to resign. Not cheap, but not astronomical contracts.

I tend to think you are right. I hope so, because they are a great tandem (perhaps the best WR-duo in the NFL) and with Randle and Murphy added to the mix, that's a dynamite 4 WR's on the roster. Add to that the TE's seem to have some quality receiving abilities and Wilson/Brown keeping the D-Line honest...we should be able to move the ball nicely down the field. Now...if we can only stop the opposition from doing the same!

This is an article from BBV a while back:

"Victor Cruz seemingly came from nowhere as an undrafted free agent to become a star with the New York Giants. So, it is only natural to wonder who will be the next player to follow a similar path.

Could it be wide receiver Brandon Collins, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound undrafted free agent receiver from Southeast Louisiana?

Pat Traina of Inside Football wrote Thursday that she had "probably written Collins' number in my observation notes at least a dozen times" during the team's three-day mini-camp earlier this week.

Traina was not the only one who was impressed. More importantly, Collins has gotten the attention of offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

"I think Brandon Collins has looked really, really impressive in practices. That has been fun to see, because I didn't know much about him," Gilbride said Thursday after mini-camp concluded. "I have seen better quickness than anything. That is what I have seen; great quickness, great speed; more quickness than speed. Good speed, great quickness, but also picking up the offense pretty quick."

Collins transferred to Southeast Louisiana after being dismissed from the University of Texas team when he was charged with a pair of felonies. As a senior he caught 61 passes for 746 yards (12.3 yards per catch) with five touchdowns. He also returned 21 punts for an average of 11 yards per return.

Collins was one of two players signed by the Giants after the team's rookie mini-camp. Linebacker Jake Muasau was the other.

Collins was on the practice squad last year so he is a little ahead of other newbies as far as getting the offense down. With his size, he seems more of a slot receiver. The "felonies" are a bit of a red flag. I'm sure the staff has addressed that.