SportsWrath

It's official - Barden has signed a contract with the Giants

BleedinBlue

I actually liked Barden. It's too bad he seems to come into fruition... as a waste of a player.

The problem at the end of the day is the ONE route he runs really well (the fade) is the ONE route that Eli can't throw for shit.

The problem at the end of the day is the ONE route he runs really well (the fade) is the ONE route that Eli can't throw for shit.

Odd Eli had no problem hooking up with Plax on the fade route, which was pretty much the fallback route with the two.

Opportunity had a lot to do with it.

In 2009, his rookie year, he was behind Nicks, Stevie Smith, and Manningham fighting Hixon for playing time

In 2010, he was behind Nicks, Manningham, but played in the first 3 games gaining 64 yds on 5 catches before breaking his ankle and tearing some ligaments....out for the season

In 2011, Cruz came out of nowhere to join up with Nicks and Manningham....and Barden was coming off a pretty severe injury and wasn't 100%.

In 2012, playing behind Nicks and Cruz, (and TC wanting to work Randle in for a few plays each game) he finally got a chance when Nicks went down with a foot injury and had 9 catches for 138 yards in the game against the Panthers.

I think one of his problems is that he isn't great on special teams and when you aren't one of the starting stud receivers, you need to be good on special teams as the 4th and 5th receivers are always coming and going each year looking for that hidden gem, the way we found Cruz.

I was reading up on him and when he was last measured (in the past month), he's closer to 6'7" than 6"6' and is 240 lbs, is buffed, and can still run the 40 in the 4.6's.

He certainly can't hurt as the 4th/5th receiver behind Nicks, Cruz, and Randle (although, Murphy might end up being 3rd and Randle 4th) as he has shown that when someone goes down, he can play. Thing is, he has to play like he's out of his mind every chance he gets if he's ever going to get significant playing time.

I'm glad he's back on the team and we'll see if he can contribute and finally become that tall weapon we thought he would be. At league minimum and having knowledge of the playbook and having worked with Eli for a few years....he's a great 4th or 5th receiver to bring off the bench.

I think Barden has shown that if you hide on the bottom of a team's roster for 4 years you can sneak onto the field for one game without your opponent noticing you're even there!

Kinda hard to go unnoticed when you're 6'7".

I know you gave up on him a long time ago Tree, but I still have hopes that he'll surprise. He friggin broke Jerry Rice's long standing college record for receptions and yards. There has to be something inside that monster body. I mean...Rice was the greatest WR in the history of the game - both college and nfl (he only had 22,895 career yards and 197 TDs in the NFL). I guess time will tell. At this point, he's a no risk player to have on the roster and probably a lot better than the throwoffs that will be available after cuts.

Kinda hard to go unnoticed when you're 6'7".

I know you gave up on him a long time ago Tree, but I still have hopes that he'll surprise. He friggin broke Jerry Rice's long standing college record for receptions and yards. There has to be something inside that monster body. I mean...Rice was the greatest WR in the history of the game - both college and nfl (he only had 22,895 career yards and 197 TDs in the NFL). I guess time will tell. At this point, he's a no risk player to have on the roster and probably a lot better than the throwoffs that will be available after cuts.

Barden didn't break Rice's records for receptions or yards. Not even close. Barden's best tallys were 67 receptions, 1467 yards & 18 TDs. Rice's best year were 112 receptions, 1845 yards and 27 TDs.

Barden's career stats were 206 receptions & 4203 yards. Jerry's were 301 receptions and 4693 yards. Stop this nonsense.

Barden broke Rice's "consecutive games with a scoring reception" record.

Ever heard of Terrel Hudgins?

His 395 receptions are the most in Division I, either the second-tier FCS or the elite FBS. His 5,250 receiving yards obliterated Rice’s Division I record by more than 550 yards. His 28 games of 100-plus receiving yards beat Rice’s Division I record by four. His 123 catches as a senior set a FCS record, and his career averages of 8.8 receptions, 116.7 yards and 1.2 touchdowns also are FCS records.

He currently plays for the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. College records mean nothing.

Barden didn't break Rice's records for receptions or yards. Not even close. Barden's best tallys were 67 receptions, 1467 yards & 18 TDs. Rice's best year were 112 receptions, 1845 yards and 27 TDs.

Barden's career stats were 206 receptions & 4203 yards. Jerry's were 301 receptions and 4693 yards. Stop this nonsense.

Barden broke Rice's "consecutive games with a scoring reception" record.

Ever heard of Terrel Hudgins?

He currently plays for the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. College records mean nothing.

Well...I stand corrected. I've never looked up the stats before, just regurgitate what I hear from talking heads. Jerry Rice was definitely one of a kind and there'll probably never be another like him.

I do agree that college records mean little in the grand scheme of things. A completely different game than the NFL.

There are Jerry Rice records he broke though.

In college, Barden broke numerous school and Great Western Conference records. He broke Jerry Rice's old record of 26 games with a touchdown by scoring one in 32 games. He also joined Rice and David Ball as the only players in the NCAA Division 1-AA/FCS to catch more then 50 touchdowns in a career.

On top of that, Barden managed to string together a record-breaking 20 consecutive games with a scoring grab, breaking Jerry Rice's record of 17 in a row. He also became only the eighth player in the history of the FCS to have over 4,000 career receiving yards and averaged 20.4 yards per reception in that time.

http://bleacherrepor...d-by-the-giants

but great college players suck in the nfl all the time.

and if he actually wins a roster spot over the others, i would hardly call it a waste of a roster spot.

Odd Eli had no problem hooking up with Plax on the fade route, which was pretty much the fallback route with the two.

He was probably 1 for 20 even throwing that to Plax....and only hit him when Plax had no one within 20 yards of him....

I hate the fade, 10% of the time, it works EVERY TIME!

He was probably 1 for 20 even throwing that to Plax....and only hit him when Plax had no one within 20 yards of him....

I hate the fade, 10% of the time, it works EVERY TIME!

I disagree the fade and "run as fast as you can downfield" were the only plays Plax and Eli could hook up on, oh and the ol' quick hitch. With the Giants atleast 60-75% of Plax's TD came within the opponents 20 yard line, four in '05, six in '06, seven in '07 and three in '08.

I disagree the fade and "run as fast as you can downfield" were the only plays Plax and Eli could hook up on, oh and the ol' quick hitch. With the Giants atleast 60-75% of Plax's TD came within the opponents 20 yard line, four in '05, six in '06, seven in '07 and three in '08.

Man, I only remember terribly overthrown balls to the endzone and forced throws to Plax who was blanketed.....

Man, I only remember terribly overthrown balls to the endzone and forced throws to Plax who was blanketed.....

Of course as fans we don't remember the good plays only the bad.

We don't remember Plax for basically dominating in the playoffs in 2007, instead we remember him shooting his leg.

We don't remember the two SBs in four years, we remember an 9-7 season.

I mean atleast we arnt Browns fans, they have all the good times to remember.