SportsWrath

10 Unrestricted Free Agents that could help the Giants

Allstarjim

So, let me preface by saying this is just to generate conversation. I certainly am taking some wild guesses here with some guys that may not be the best fit for us. But all of these guys have some strength about them that I believe the Giants have a need for, and could benefit from their skillset. And it's really early, and it's somewhat of a knee-jerk list that I haven't gone into a lot of research about these specific guys. With that said, I think the Giants need to get tougher on the lines, and they need to get a little more speed on offense. So without further ado...

OT Jermon Bushrod - A big bull that fills an immediate need at RT. Not all of my guys on this list are going to cost serious money. But Bushrod is a player that isn't going to get Jake Long money, but would benefit Eli and the RB's a great deal.

OT Sebastian Vollmer - The Patriots will probably let him go. He's another good player that could step in on our O-line and be an improvement over Diehl. My preference is Bushrod, but Vollmer would not be a bad fallback option.

TE Leonard Pope - he's an excellent run blocker and veteran player who can give the Giants a better goal line look, and would be a good mentor to Robinson. Pope is an underrated combo TE that, especially if we re-sign Bennett, would give the Giants a nice two tight end look.

LB - Larry Foote - yes, he's getting to be a gray beard. But he was also highly productive and is a physical linebacker. That's something I think the Giants need. Sure, might not make sense because he probably isn't going to see the field on passing downs, but the Giants need to get better at stopping the run, and Foote does that very well, and has a great track record.

K Rob Bironas - Should be no secret that I am not a Tynes fan. Finally, mercifully, he is a free agent. Bironas has made some big kicks in his career. Pressure kicks, and he has enough leg where he has the distance in his leg that would give you more confidence in 50 yard plus FG situations where you really need to make one.

DT Israel Idonije - He's big, a veteran, and would be a nice addition inside for a strong rotation. And he wouldn't break the bank. He's tough player and I've always respected his play. Plus, he has a difficult name to pronounce and spell, and the Giants need fill that void with the likely departure of Umenyiora.

DE/LB Connor Barwin - If there is some turnover at DE, I really like Barwin. He's a high motor guy, and would bring some intensity back to the defensive line. He's coming off a down year and that should lower his price. But he had 11.5 sacks in 2012.

DE Paul Kruger - much like Barwin, he's an intense dude. And again, we are missing that. He plays the run well, he's a handful, and he can get after the passer. He's not a guy who you can just run the ball at. He's a mean hombre, and I think his best years are ahead of him, and I believe he's a similar type of player to Barwin.

WR Louis Murphy - Here's a guy I just love. He's 6'2" and a burner, one of the fastest players in the draft a few years ago. He toiled away on the Raiders with some terrible QB play, including the Jamarcus Russell abomination. But he was really showing flashes on Carolina this past season and was pushing Brandon Lafell to start opposite Steve Smith. Murphy helps the Giants because he would be the kind of player that could take the top off a defense. He can really get down the field, and I think in that regard, he could fill Hixon's role on the team, who has been oft-injured and isn't really putting any fear into anyone. Murphy would change the dynamic of the WR corps, giving a skill set that isn't currently there. And he can return punts. I still don't think anyone has really seen much of what this former Florida Gator (who put up numbers with Tebow at QB) can really do.

CB Tracy Porter - Giants DB's like to talk about swagger. But there wasn't much there this year. Porter has it, has made big plays on the biggest stage, costing Peyton his 2nd ring with a pick 6 in the Super Bowl a few years ago. I think he'd be a strong veteran leader that can add a new, but powerful voice to the secondary. He's a good corner that can provide some insurance if Webster doesn't turn it around.

I think it's dependent, on who we let go. I want Sam Shields at CB, Vollmer would be great at OT. I don't see us breaking the bank though for a splashy FA. I think someone like Maulauga would be out of the question, DRC would be out of the question.

I think it's dependent, on who we let go. I want Sam Shields at CB, Vollmer would be great at OT. I don't see us breaking the bank though for a splashy FA. I think someone like Maulauga would be out of the question, DRC would be out of the question.

I'm not sure Maulauga would be that expensive. Dude comes off the field on passing downs and is an average player with a high ceiling right now, as opposed to Blackburn who may be a little bit better but he's hit his ceiling.

I'm not sure Maulauga would be that expensive. Dude comes off the field on passing downs and is an average player with a high ceiling right now, as opposed to Blackburn who may be a little bit better but he's hit his ceiling.

Yeah Maulauga pretty much had one good year, last year. I am not sure if I want him anyways, I would much rather draft a lb, but we won't

I'd look at the OTs for certain. I'd take either, or both. Let's not forget that Beatty is a free agent as well. Once the FA bell rings, but hopefully prior for Beatty, we have some serious work to do for the OT position. Given how well Beatty played, he may want to test those waters too.

I have to believe that LB or DE will be a focus this offseason. Kiwi can fill Osi's role if we can replace Kiwi. Boley isn't the worst, but he's on the downhill side of his career. And Blackburn...despite his heart...is replaceable. I hate moving Blackburn because he's the one guy you could tell played with passion, but there's guys out there that bring passion AND a higher level of play.

For FA discussions, I think that it's important to include age in any description of any suggested signings.

So yeah, if we can bring in 1 OT, resign Beatty, and pull in one LB...I would be a happy camper.

However, we also have to look at who we drafted recently that we haven't heard from. McCants and Mosely? Weren't they both OTs that were drafted in the past year or two? I'd have been suspicious if either had cracked the lineup this year, but for the start of next year? Could they be ready? Maybe just one of them? Don't know about that, but it's certain the position could be bolstered.

The OT fa class is huge. Phil Loadhodt is another I wouldn't mind. He's 6'8 345 pds, he's a bull, he doesn't have the best technique and his work ethic and consistency was questioned during the draft, but he has put it all together this year. He's only 26

The OT fa class is huge. Phil Loadhodt is another I wouldn't mind. He's 6'8 345 pds, he's a bull, he doesn't have the best technique and his work ethic and consistency was questioned during the draft, but he has put it all together this year. He's only 26

Damn that's a road grader...if he can't open a hole ...no one can.

However, we also have to look at who we drafted recently that we haven't heard from. McCants and Mosely? Weren't they both OTs that were drafted in the past year or two? I'd have been suspicious if either had cracked the lineup this year, but for the start of next year? Could they be ready? Maybe just one of them? Don't know about that, but it's certain the position could be bolstered.

Wasn't McCants straight cut after being drafted because he was so terrible?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, let me preface by saying this is just to generate conversation. I certainly am taking some wild guesses here with some guys that may not be the best fit for us. But all of these guys have some strength about them that I believe the Giants have a need for, and could benefit from their skillset. And it's really early, and it's somewhat of a knee-jerk list that I haven't gone into a lot of research about these specific guys. With that said, I think the Giants need to get tougher on the lines, and they need to get a little more speed on offense. So without further ado...

OT Jermon Bushrod - A big bull that fills an immediate need at RT. Not all of my guys on this list are going to cost serious money. But Bushrod is a player that isn't going to get Jake Long money, but would benefit Eli and the RB's a great deal.

OT Sebastian Vollmer - The Patriots will probably let him go. He's another good player that could step in on our O-line and be an improvement over Diehl. My preference is Bushrod, but Vollmer would not be a bad fallback option.

TE Leonard Pope - he's an excellent run blocker and veteran player who can give the Giants a better goal line look, and would be a good mentor to Robinson. Pope is an underrated combo TE that, especially if we re-sign Bennett, would give the Giants a nice two tight end look.

LB - Larry Foote - yes, he's getting to be a gray beard. But he was also highly productive and is a physical linebacker. That's something I think the Giants need. Sure, might not make sense because he probably isn't going to see the field on passing downs, but the Giants need to get better at stopping the run, and Foote does that very well, and has a great track record.

K Rob Bironas - Should be no secret that I am not a Tynes fan. Finally, mercifully, he is a free agent. Bironas has made some big kicks in his career. Pressure kicks, and he has enough leg where he has the distance in his leg that would give you more confidence in 50 yard plus FG situations where you really need to make one.

DT Israel Idonije - He's big, a veteran, and would be a nice addition inside for a strong rotation. And he wouldn't break the bank. He's tough player and I've always respected his play. Plus, he has a difficult name to pronounce and spell, and the Giants need fill that void with the likely departure of Umenyiora.

DE/LB Connor Barwin - If there is some turnover at DE, I really like Barwin. He's a high motor guy, and would bring some intensity back to the defensive line. He's coming off a down year and that should lower his price. But he had 11.5 sacks in 2012.

DE Paul Kruger - much like Barwin, he's an intense dude. And again, we are missing that. He plays the run well, he's a handful, and he can get after the passer. He's not a guy who you can just run the ball at. He's a mean hombre, and I think his best years are ahead of him, and I believe he's a similar type of player to Barwin.

WR Louis Murphy - Here's a guy I just love. He's 6'2" and a burner, one of the fastest players in the draft a few years ago. He toiled away on the Raiders with some terrible QB play, including the Jamarcus Russell abomination. But he was really showing flashes on Carolina this past season and was pushing Brandon Lafell to start opposite Steve Smith. Murphy helps the Giants because he would be the kind of player that could take the top off a defense. He can really get down the field, and I think in that regard, he could fill Hixon's role on the team, who has been oft-injured and isn't really putting any fear into anyone. Murphy would change the dynamic of the WR corps, giving a skill set that isn't currently there. And he can return punts. I still don't think anyone has really seen much of what this former Florida Gator (who put up numbers with Tebow at QB) can really do.

CB Tracy Porter - Giants DB's like to talk about swagger. But there wasn't much there this year. Porter has it, has made big plays on the biggest stage, costing Peyton his 2nd ring with a pick 6 in the Super Bowl a few years ago. I think he'd be a strong veteran leader that can add a new, but powerful voice to the secondary. He's a good corner that can provide some insurance if Webster doesn't turn it around.

For all the times we run the ball in a 4 WR set....Nicks-Cruz-Randle are 1-3, Murphy will even have to battle Jernigan for the #4 spot

Not much of a battle. I agree, the guys you named are the first 3 on the depth chart no matter what. But we all now Nicks has trouble staying on the field, and the 4th receiver always gets some work during games to give someone a break or give a different look. Our 4th receiver will probably get some decent work this season.

Not much of a battle. I agree, the guys you named are the first 3 on the depth chart no matter what. But we all now Nicks has trouble staying on the field, and the 4th receiver always gets some work during games to give someone a break or give a different look. Our 4th receiver will probably get some decent work this season.

This dude looks like Hixon's twin lol.