SportsWrath

F@CK RG3

The thing i find scary about Robert the Third, is that he's a pocket passer who can run, unlike Vick and Newton who are running QBs who would make the occasional throw.

Should be a good rivalry for the next long while.

He reminds me of Randall Cunningham...who was a pocket passer of a slightly lesser talent level who used to give the Giants fits....

it's pretty gross. the guy had 1 td and fumbled in the red zone and got lucky. he's not gonna win rookie of the year and he plays in a gimmicky offense. potential-wise the sky's the limit but im not gonna get excited about what he's currently doing until he does it in a pro-style offense

flee flickers, onside kicks in the first quarter are gimmicks. Having options and reacting to defensive movement after the snap isn't a gimmick. Just because it's not the standard drop back three steps, get enough time to go through progressions and throw the ball doesn't make it a gimmick offense.

Hell when the west coast offense came about you could have called that a gimmick offense. RG3 has a 104.4 quarterback rating and is completing 67% of his passes for the year. You don't put up those numbers by running a gimmick offense.

BTW I am sick of saying RG3 already, even sick of typing it .from now on I will call Bob two letters and a number . so that's his new name , Two letters and a number. Two Letters for short.

Bobby 2 letters. Sounds like he should be a Saprono.

flee flickers, onside kicks in the first quarter are gimmicks. Having options and reacting to defensive movement after the snap isn't a gimmick. Just because it's not the standard drop back three steps, get enough time to go through progressions and throw the ball doesn't make it a gimmick offense.

Hell when the west coast offense came about you could have called that a gimmick offense. RG3 has a 104.4 quarterback rating and is completing 67% of his passes for the year. You don't put up those numbers by running a gimmick offense.

I don't think it's gimmick offense... I think it's high risk high reward. I mean the ball bouncing like that and no one drops it or fumbles it is a thing of beauty... it's a matter of time before that backfires... and keep in mind RGIII is getting hit out there... at his age he won't feel them but he will a few years down the road when he's older and slower. Vick was invincible at some point too.

I don't think it's gimmick offense... I think it's high risk high reward. I mean the ball bouncing like that and no one drops it or fumbles it is a thing of beauty... it's a matter of time before that backfires... and keep in mind RGIII is getting hit out there... at his age he won't feel them but he will a few years down the road when he's older and slower. Vick was invincible at some point too.

Yeah it's a lot of punishment. Look at how effective Vick was in 2010 after 3 years away from the game. It caught up to him already. Griffin can throw the ball well so at some point I'd expect them to move toward a more standard style offense. They should anyway to keep Griffin healthy.

triple options in the NFL are gimmicky. lining up in the pistol with backs on either side of you and one behind you in the year 2012 is gimmicky. they play hide the ball a lot and if you think this is the offense they would ideally be playing if they didnt want to play to their raw rookie's strengths while hiding his weaknesses then i guess we'll have to disagree. i personally don't think this is the offense shanahan envisions his team running in 3 years.

i like what i see from the guy but i don't buy into this whole "NFC EAST IS FALLING!" panic that i'm seeing from giant fans. i heard the same crap when mcnabb was a rookie and accounted for 76% of his team's offense and how he'd be unstoppable for years, but we had successful years during his peak but he didnt exactly go out there and have a hall of fame career

triple options in the NFL are gimmicky. lining up in the pistol with backs on either side of you and one behind you in the year 2012 is gimmicky. they play hide the ball a lot and if you think this is the offense they would ideally be playing if they didnt want to play to their raw rookie's strengths while hiding his weaknesses then i guess we'll have to disagree. i personally don't think this is the offense shanahan envisions his team running in 3 years

If it is working no way shanahan changes offensive systems.

triple options in the NFL are gimmicky. lining up in the pistol with backs on either side of you and one behind you in the year 2012 is gimmicky. they play hide the ball a lot and if you think this is the offense they would ideally be playing if they didnt want to play to their raw rookie's strengths while hiding his weaknesses then i guess we'll have to disagree. i personally don't think this is the offense shanahan envisions his team running in 3 years

That's like saying a defender pretending to blitz but dropping back into coverage is a gimmick etc. etc.. And it ain't like the triple option is the only play the Redskins use. We seemed to use it more against the Giants since you're defense is very aggressive and commits to plays.

The Redskins use a versatile offense because they've got a guy who can make use of it. It would be kind of a waste not to take advantage of some of the special skills RG3 has. Have him simply drop back and pass or hand it off.

Dude's thrown for 2,660 yards with only 4 interceptions so it ain't just him running around the field all day. You make it sound like he's Tim Tebow or something.

The guy is a straight up baller. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2012/seasontype/2

If it is working no way shanahan changes offensive systems.

maybe not, maybe he changes his plans eventually but this isn't the offense he won two championships with and it's been pretty well documented that he's melding this offense to suit griffin's strengths. my guess is that he thinks his version of the west coast offense is the best offense out there and that ideally he'll re-implement it by the time griffin is really hitting his stride in year 3 or 4. if the redskins manage to improve on being 21st in the league in passing he might keep it but otherwise he'd better build a great defense if he wants to stay with it

maybe not, maybe he changes his plans eventually but this isn't the offense he won two championships with and it's been pretty well documented that he's melding this offense to suit griffin's strengths. my guess is that he thinks his version of the west coast offense is the best offense out there and that ideally he'll re-implement it by the time griffin is really hitting his stride in year 3 or 4. if the redskins manage to improve on being 21st in the league in passing he might keep it but otherwise he'd better build a great defense if he wants to stay with it

My guess is "points a game" is what Shannahan is most concerned with when it comes to offense. Currently 8th and that's with our number one receiver out for most of the year and Fred Davis out for the year.

that's a nice list, mik. i notice that the other guys up there have throw over 100 more passes and have thrown for 1,000 more yards--except alex smith, another qb rating wonder whose coach changed his preferred offense to fit his qb's strengths.

not that the two qbs are comparable at all but the situations have a few similarities. i think it's smart to protect your qb and play to his strengths while he is young and not ready to run a coach's preferred offense, but i'm not going to fear him in 2012. both games were pretty close and i didn't come away from that loss feeling like the giants were overmatched like with pittsburgh or cincinnati

My guess is "points a game" is what Shannahan is most concerned with when it comes to offense. Currently 8th and that's with our number one receiver out for most of the year and Fred Davis out for the year.

my guess is wins is what shanahan is most concerned with, and those are hard to come by if you fall behind early and your passing game is ranked 21st.

the guy threw for 160 yards and a TD last night with a huge red zone fumble that happened to land in his player's lap and the MNF crew and monday morning media is ready to crown him.

your best player last night was alf morris and he was arguably your best player in the first game too.

that's a nice list, mik. i notice that the other guys up there have throw over 100 more passes and have thrown for 1,000 more yards--except alex smith, another qb rating wonder whose coach changed his preferred offense to fit his qb's strengths.

not that the two qbs are comparable at all but the situations have a few similarities. i think it's smart to protect your qb and play to his strengths while he is young and not ready to run a coach's preferred offense, but i'm not going to fear him in 2012. both games were pretty close and i didn't come away from that loss feeling like the giants were overmatched like with pittsburgh or cincinnati

You weren't over matched by the Redskins. We're a team with some definite holes, especially on defense in the secondary.

Big difference with Smith and Griffin. Playing to Smith's strengths involves taking away things he can't really do. Playing to Griffin's strengths is having him do things other quarterbacks can't. It's not like Griffin can't drop back, go through a progression and throw it to a receiver. He can make all the throws. Smith can't. Yeah, he can't read a defense like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers but he's a rookie. Luck can't do that either.

We have the number 1 running offense so passing constantly ain't the best idea. Especially since we have a crappy defense and the less they are on the field the better. If your defense sucks and you run the ball very well than being pass happy doesn't seem like the wisest strategy.

the guy threw for 160 yards and a TD last night with a huge red zone fumble that happened to land in his player's lap and the MNF crew and monday morning media is ready to crown him.

your best player last night was alf morris and he was arguably your best player in the first game too.

And a key 4th quarter drive to take the lead. But I agree, Alfred Morris was our biggest weapon last night.

I think next off season is going to be one interesting little Snyderfest, trying to patch up those weaknesses. after watching last night and the crowd reaction, he's got to be salivating at what next. He's got the perfect coach for that offense, he's got an excellent one two punch on offense and he's watching this sitting next to Brian Orakpo and Fred davis for the rest of the season. Honestly, I don't like to overeact, but that last night could be the dawning of a new day in the East. Reese is going to have to go hard on some linebackers that can go north south in a hurry, we don't have them now that's for sure.

I think next off season is going to be one interesting little Snyderfest, trying to patch up those weaknesses. after watching last night and the crowd reaction, he's got to be salivating at what next. He's got the perfect coach for that offense, he's got an excellent one two punch on offense and he's watching this sitting next to Brian Orakpo and Fred davis for the rest of the season. Honestly, I don't like to overeact, but that last night could be the dawning of a new day in the East. Reese is going to have to go hard on some linebackers that can go north south in a hurry, we don't have them now that's for sure.

Agreed. The Giants defense needs to be built from here on with the purpose of stopping Griffin, at least for the immediate and probably significant future. They have to get faster and more athletic. Philadelphia is in transition and Dallas is Dallas until they can show everyone they're capable of coming up big when they have to. The Redskin games will be the biggest games on our schedule now.

LOL at anyone who thinks that not a gimmick offense.

Every pass play is a playaction with 1 wide out running a 12 yard in cut and the fullback going as an checkdown pass. 8 blockers to protect the best QB in the history of football. He's in shotgun 90 percent of the time and he took..what 5 snaps under center? (not counting the kneel down)

Are you really going to tell me that the triple option isn't a gimmick offense? Okay. Ask Cam Newton about that.

I want to see Griffin stick a throw like Manning did (who doesn't run a gimmick offense, btw) to Cruz and Bennett last night. Can he?

LOL at anyone who thinks that not a gimmick offense.

great argument

I want to see Griffin stick a throw like Manning did (who doesn't run a gimmick offense, btw) to Cruz and Bennett last night. Can he?

:38

1:05

2:55

to name a few. And that's not even showing the game against the Cowboys and Eagles where the threw four touchdowns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5ZJUUz1zU

You'd know about great arguments, wouldn't you.

It's a gimmick offense. Grats, you pointed out 3 plays where he didn't have to stick it in there. He's throwing to wide open guys. I know quarterbacking has been an abstract in Washington the past 12 years..but those aren't stick throws. He isn't throwing anyone open. That's like saying Manning's TD to Cruz in the 1st game was a "stick" throw. No, it wasn't. He's wide open and hit him in stride.

If you honestly think that any of those throws are stick throws where the defender is stride for stride with the receiver, then you should probably get your eyes checked.