SportsWrath

Somebody explain this to me... Eli's kneel down

Sephiroth

Yeah, I can't fault him for wanting his team to play hard until the clock is at 0:00. I just don't think that 0.01% chance of the play working is worth it. There's a reason you don't see other teams doing it, and I highly doubt its because Schiano is just that much smarter than every other head coach in the NFL.

I think its telling that the only football guys turned talking head I've heard saying it was a good play fall into one of two groups: either former Eagles from the Buddy Ryan era (Golic and Jaws), or a Saint from their bounty era (Heath Evans). Hmmm. Otherwise, to a man, especially the coaches, are all like... wtf man? Even Ditka, who somewhat defended the move, also said 'what goes around, comes around'.

I don't put too much stock in what the talking heads say. I think Schiano, being a relatively new coach, wants his team to play at a certain level, to a certain intensity. I think he feels that if his team plays at a higher level, to a greater intensity, that it gives his team the better chance of winning. I can't disagree there. If there is ANY chance of winning, you take that chance. If the other team isn't ready for it...that's on them. I actually like that approach.

Just double checked the play by play...it appears they did have the timeout left. Perhaps the kneel down and craziness that ensued immediately following the play took 5 seconds and they couldn't get the timeout called?

or perhaps schiano was just being a douche.

we'll probably never know.

Just double checked the play by play...it appears they did have the timeout left. Perhaps the kneel down and craziness that ensued immediately following the play took 5 seconds and they couldn't get the timeout called?

That would be my guess too.... and if there's not even enough time to call a timeout, there also wouldn't have been enough time to run a play after a fumble recovery.

At a different time, I'd be applauding the move too. Its a case of good tactics, but poor strategy.

That would be my guess too.... and if there's not even enough time to call a timeout, there also wouldn't have been enough time to run a play after a fumble recovery.

At a different time, I'd be applauding the move too. Its a case of good tactics, but poor strategy.

but the logic is play the whole 60 minutes, anything can happen, they could force a fumble and return it for a touchdown winning the game.

Not a great strategy, no...but was their only strategy down by 7, 0:05 remaining, opponent holding the ball.

Ask yourself this. If you're a team, down by 13. You score with 1:30 remaining...having used all your remaining timeouts to do so. You're now down by 6. Do you do an onsides kick and try to recover the ball or do you kick it deep, let the opponent run out the clock, and go home defeated? I'm guessing you run the onsides kick.

That's essentially what Schiano did here. He ran a defensive play that had some chance, however minute, of giving his team the ability to win the game rather than admitting defeat before the final seconds came off the clock.

technically you are right

in reality the chance of a magic football flying back down the field was 1-1000

Look, no one got hurt and they did the Giants a big favor........The Giants will rachet up the intensity now is my guess

while TB and Schiano have pushed all the dirty tricks chips to the middle of the table.......they will get no pass on anything now

I feel bad for their players, most of whom walked off the field not only beaten but very embarassed in front of their peers

Yeah, I can't fault him for wanting his team to play hard until the clock is at 0:00. I just don't think that 0.01% chance of the play working is worth it. There's a reason you don't see other teams doing it, and I highly doubt its because Schiano is just that much smarter than every other head coach in the NFL.

I think its telling that the only football guys turned talking head I've heard saying it was a good play fall into one of two groups: either former Eagles from the Buddy Ryan era (Golic and Jaws), or a Saint from their bounty era (Heath Evans). Hmmm. Otherwise, to a man, especially the coaches, are all like... wtf man? Even Ditka, who somewhat defended the move, also said 'what goes around, comes around'.

This..

Really? I heard Gruden last night, who always seemed like a classy and knowledgeable guy to me, and he seemed genuinely shocked, like me, that it even caused controversy. He's of the school of thought that anyone who lines up on a football field, shouldn't just lay down for the other team, regardless of how much time is left in the game. Especially down only 1 score.....

I wonder how the people who think this was somehow a cheap move (other than the fact it appeared everyone dove to the ground, it was called a legal play, no foul=not cheap) feel when basketball players start fouling when their team is down 7 with 20 seconds left....yeah, there's a slim to none chance that you could catch up but why not even bother trying?

Really? I heard Gruden last night, who always seemed like a classy and knowledgeable guy to me, and he seemed genuinely shocked, like me, that it even caused controversy. He's of the school of thought that anyone who lines up on a football field, shouldn't just lay down for the other team, regardless of how much time is left in the game. Especially down only 1 score.....

I wonder how the people who think this was somehow a cheap move (other than the fact it appeared everyone dove to the ground, it was called a legal play, no foul=not cheap) feel when basketball players start fouling when their team is down 7 with 20 seconds left....yeah, there's a slim to none chance that you could catch up but why not even bother trying?

I have not heard Gruden's comments, but to be honest, I'm a little surprised at the controversy too... it is still football, after all. Hitting is the entire point! But what was Gruden saying about it? The strongest defense of it I'd heard from a coach came from Ditka, and even that was tepid at best ("what goes around, comes around" he said, invalidating his earlier comments in defense of Schiano).

There's a reason nobody else attacks kneel down plays like that.... 'don't do it to us, we won't do it to you'.

Of course, if its not that, then another explanation is that that every head coach who came before Schiano is just a candyassed moron.

Take your pick.

Him and Tirico were talking about it and he was just saying that he was surprised to hear there was such controversy about it....basically said it might not be gentlemanly but asked why a team shouldn't go all out on a play like that.....

Him and Tirico were talking about it and he was just saying that he was surprised to hear there was such controversy about it....basically said it might not be gentlemanly but asked why a team shouldn't go all out on a play like that.....

What was the play exactly? Looked to me as if it was to submarine the linemen.

Stupid, cheap play. And no surprise he tried it on a team outside his division, because you don't want to play a team twice after a dipshit move like that.

The only chance that play had would have been a turnover and score, and the likelihood of that was very slim. The odds were much higher for an unnecessary injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063807/article/eli-manning-told-the-bucs-he-was-taking-a-knee

Absolute bush-league...

Manning said the Tampa Bay Buccaneers knew what his intentions were in the final seconds of the Giants' 41-34 win.

"I said it. I said as I walked up, 'Hey we're taking a knee,' but obviously they were down and ready and had a feeling they were about to fire off," he said. "There's nothing I can really do about it. I have to make sure I get the snap and the only thing I'm worried about right there is securing the ball and making sure we get the win."