SportsWrath

Giants vs. Jets this Saturday

RandolphScott

I'm not sure because I don't follow the Jets......but after shanking the ball twice, he should hide his face in shame.

Obviously not ready for prime time. If the Jets have no plan B, they're fucked.

Right, because no team in history has ever won a Superbowl by being last in rushing.

Oh....wait.

Yea but it's an unsettling statistic. Nonetheless we spent the 1st rounder on a RB. Enough said.

Jets must be thrilled to watch Weatherford boom the ball to the coffin corner only to watch his replacement knock the ball 19 yards up field twice in a row.

I was getting Matt Dodge flashbacks. :LMAO:

Martinek has boasted that he's going to beat Hynoski out.....and after that TD, he might be right.

Will Hill is making a name for himself tonight.

Puff puff pass, Bleedin'. Martinek's only chance is if Hynoski gets hurt. The TD means absolutely zero. How's he doing in run blocking? That's the litmus test, and Hynoski has done nothing to hurt his stock... he's been solid.

Yeah sure will be a long pre-season.

Bingo. They aren't getting good blocking, but Wilson has only played with the 2nd/3rd string OL. Let him get some reps with the starters. But even the starters have struggled in that area. I don't think we have a problem with RB's, it's the guys up front that are struggling with run blocking.

Only listened to the game while I was working. The Jets sounded awful and our run blocking needs to improve. It's ok that we're a pass first team now because we want the ball in Eli's hands but I'd rather not endure another year with an anemic ground game. There's time though. Were there any injuries?

60 yards rushing for the Giants... Its going to be a looooong season folks.

I'm not worried about our rushing because Coughlin's strategy has been to build a "sack'npass" team.....and it has worked. When a team throws as often as the Giants, they are not going to lead the NFL in rushing. Our rushing attack is more or less used as a diversion to keep defenses honest.....otherwise, they'd always be playing a pass defense.

What worries me more than an anemic rushing game, is the amount of yards other teams amass against the Giants. We have not been good at stopping the run. But last night we held the Jets to just 65 yards, which is a big improvement over last week in which we gave up 158 yards on the ground. Pretty sure Coughlin pressed the importance of improving our run defense throughout the week of practice and it showed.

I'm not worried about our rushing because Coughlin's strategy has been to build a "sack'npass" team.....and it has worked. When a team throws as often as the Giants, they are not going to lead the NFL in rushing. Our rushing attack is more or less used as a diversion to keep defenses honest.....otherwise, they'd always be playing a pass defense.

What worries me more than an anemic rushing game, is the amount of yards other teams amass against the Giants. We have not been good at stopping the run. But last night we held the Jets to just 65 yards, which is a big improvement over last week in which we gave up 158 yards on the ground. Pretty sure Coughlin pressed the importance of improving our run defense throughout the week of practice and it showed.

No it's not. Where do you come up with this?

No it's not. Where do you come up with this?

The term "sack'npass" as Tom Coughlin's strategy has been used repeatedly in news articles, sports journals and even on this board. I'm surprised you take issue with this since we burned 2 no. 1 picks and Philip Rivers for Eli and started stocking DE's with an emphasis on sacking the opponents QB ever since TC has been here.

TC has also focused on getting a plethora of good receivers to give Eli plenty of targets and has stocked up on pass rushing DE's even when we were already blessed in that department. And the RB's he has taken, are also known for their ability to receive as well as rush.

To build a strong rushing team means to build a great O-line to push open holes as well as burn early picks on RB's. Since TC has been on board, our RB's have been taken late in the draft (Brandon Jacobs - round 4; Ahmad Bradshaw - round 7; D'rel Scott - rd 7 (compensatory pick to boot) - DJ Ware - UDFA taken off of Jets practice squad, etc). And I don't think anyone is accusing TC and Reese of focusing on the best O-line for making holes for rushing or stockpiling early round RB's. Our O-line has been built (on the cheap I might add) with guys known for protecting the passer rather than blowing holes in the D-line - in short, to protect Eli because of our focus on passing. It wasn't until this year that TC/Reese burned a first round on a RB. But I wouldn't hold my breath thinking TC has changed his strategy and now wants to be a run-first offense. Not as long as Eli is around.

And I think his strategy of "sack'npass" has worked out pretty well for him and this team.

Martinek has boasted that he's going to beat Hynoski out.....and after that TD, he might be right.

Will Hill is making a name for himself tonight.

He is certainly more agle, faster, better runner, leager, and receiver....but Coughlin likes guys that move the pile blocking.....I saw him wiff a couple of times.

What did you think of his blocking BB?

He and Hynoski are a good problem to have back there though.

C.W agno.

He is certainly more agle, faster, better runner, leager, and receiver....but Coughlin likes guys that move the pile blocking.....I saw him wiff a couple of times.

What did you think of his blocking BB?

He and Hynoski are a good problem to have back there though.

C.W agno.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Hynoski will hold on to the job because....as you point out....TC likes a fullback as an extra lineman and blocker who can help make a hole or keep Eli off his back. I think Martinek is probably a better offensive weapon, but Eli is already surrounded with a plethora of offensive weapons. Hynoski is definitely better at protecting Eli and helping out on the line so I have to believe Hynocerus is going to stick.

I don't think you can put a player on the practice squad who has spent a certain amount of time on the regular roster so Hynoski would have to be cut. Martinek on the other hand, was an UDFA this year so has practice squad written all over him. Of course, another team could swipe him off the PS if they wanted and depending on whether there's a shortage of fullbacks in the NFL, he might be vulnerable to theft. So anyway, Martinek will either end up on the PS or another team......IMO

Interestingly, Dwayne Hendricks (who has been on the PS for 3 years straight), is ineligible now as a player is limited to 3 years. If he doesn't make the roster's final cuts....he's out of football unless another team puts him on their roster. That Adewale Ojomo looked pretty good last night with a couple of sacks and 4 solo tackles. But he's one of this year's UDFAs as well, so he's probably heading for the PS with Martinek.

Bleedin, I don't think that was planned.. we became pass happy because we couldn't run the fucking ball... hence our 1st rounder was spent on a RB. I still think we need to have a dominant run game to set up the pass.