SportsWrath

And Our Future Looks Bright Too!!!!!!!

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Just went through the roster. As good as the Giants are playing right now, just look at this list of players who are 25 years old or younger. Mind boggling.......

Bear Pascoe

Ahmad Bradshaw

Da'Rel Scott

Jake Ballard

Ramses Barden

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Linval Joseph

Jason Pierre-Paul

Greg Jones

Clint Sintim

Jonathan Goff

Prince Amukamara

Kenny Phillips

I left out a few, but this list of young guns are amazing if you ask me. The future is just as bright as the present, folks. Strap on your seat belts and enjoy the ride............. :giants:

Reese has done an awesome job getting talent on this roster and I have faith he will continue to load us up. We have so many good players right now, though, that I wouldn't mind him making a big move in the draft trading picks to get a freak player similar to what the Falcons did to get Julio Jones. The Eli era looks better and better. Great thread, VG.

Reese has done an awesome job getting talent on this roster and I have faith he will continue to load us up. We have so many good players right now, though, that I wouldn't mind him making a big move in the draft trading picks to get a freak player similar to what the Falcons did to get Julio Jones. The Eli era looks better and better. Great thread, VG.

Think you mean SG, but good to know I'm on your mind at 11:00 at night ya homo.

Just went through the roster. As good as the Giants are playing right now, just look at this list of players who are 25 years old or younger. Mind boggling.......

Bear Pascoe

Ahmad Bradshaw

Da'Rel Scott

Jake Ballard

Ramses Barden

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Linval Joseph

Jason Pierre-Paul

Greg Jones

Clint Sintim

Jonathan Goff

Prince Amukamara

Kenny Phillips

I left out a few, but this list of young guns are amazing if you ask me. The future is just as bright as the present, folks. Strap on your seat belts and enjoy the ride............. :giants:

I thought it was "the future is so bright I gotta ware shades?"

Wonder how much cash and trouble it'll be when these guys are seeking contracts soon.

Exactly... just because they're young it doesn't mean they will be in blue the rest of their careers. Hopefully the Giants make a splash this year.. I can see it.

Bear Pascoe

Ahmad Bradshaw

Da'Rel Scott

Jake Ballard

Ramses Barden

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Linval Joseph

Jason Pierre-Paul

Greg Jones

Clint Sintim

Jonathan Goff

Prince Amukamara

Kenny Phillips

If we can only keep everyone healthy, our future is so bright, we gotta wear shades!

I think Marvin Austin is going to end up being an animal when he's back. And Jaquan Williams, Herzlich, Jernigan could end up being big time players in the future as well.

If we can only keep everyone healthy, our future is so bright, we gotta wear shades!

I think Marvin Austin is going to end up being an animal when he's back. And Jaquan Williams, Herzlich, Jernigan could end up being big time players in the future as well.

Jernigan? Maybe it's gut feeling on your part.. so far he's been S. Moss II.

Jernigan? Maybe it's gut feeling on your part.. so far he's been S. Moss II.

Jernigan is fast, quick, and so inexperienced that it's hard to judge what he will turn into. Could be another Cruz a couple years down the road or he could be a bust. Sash is also young, enthusiastic, extremely athletic, but has zero NFL experience and could blossum into a great safety. They really haven't had a lot of chances to build on their mistakes and they are playing behind some pretty solid veterans.

I keep going back to something I read Fewell said about Austin... It may have been Reese, but he compared him to Warren Sapp. I believe he said he is Sapp-like. That statement got me really excited. Imagine if Austin is that good. With JPP and Tuck on the ends? It may take some time but the building blocks are there for a dominant defense, as long as injuries don't derail what Reese is building.

I like Reese in that he rarely overpays for any position and steels himself from making decisions based upon longevity, loyalty and/or fan support of a particular player. He also does not seem to hesitate in steering a player one injury away from the life support ward from playing.

Bear Pascoe

Ahmad Bradshaw

Da'Rel Scott

Jake Ballard

Ramses Barden

Victor Cruz

Mario Manningham

Hakeem Nicks

Linval Joseph

Jason Pierre-Paul

Greg Jones

Clint Sintim

Jonathan Goff

Prince Amukamara

Kenny Phillips

You sure have. Joaquin Williams and Greg Jones have no business on the field this season; yet there they are, and they are doing a decent job in a season they should be buried in the depth chart. You have to admire any rookie on any team that can even make the starting rotation on a team this season.

I've been expecting a bumpy ride all season with so much youth playing in pivotal spots; it breeds inconsistency, and a young team can really feed on or be consumed by emotion. But we've been lucky to hit some major highs so far (beating the Eagles and Pats, both serious bugaboos for this team), so we might just pull off this season. It's just as possible we lose a heartbreaker, and tank the season.

But 2012? This should be an excellent team.

This year I think we have to worry about Goff, Pascoe, Ballard, and Manningham from this list; and Thomas, Tollefson, and McKenzie as far as FA go. Goff should be gotten at a reasonable price, since he wasn't earth-shattering when he played last season, and has been injured all this season. There shouldn't be too many teams calling for him.

I'd like to see McKenzie kept--he's been a rock for us for 6 seasons now, has played relatively injury-free, and hasn't been a problem this year. But there's a ton of factors in that: how much he wants and for how long; the development of Petrus and Brewer; what happens with Diehl.

You have Thomas and Ross: you have to keep one. I'd take a gamble and keep Thomas hoping his knee is ok, and draft early on the backfield. This is about as good as Ross gets. With Prince actually getting practice time this coming offseason, then the gamble is reduced.

Ballard stays. He's reasonably priced, and not so great that there will be a clamoring for him in free agency: especially if the rest of the league looks at Boss' output this year and figures out that Eli is probably why Ballard looks so good.

I want to keep Tollefson. He is fantastic for what he does

The really interesting part is what to do with Manningham. He's been an excellent player for us, made some great plays and put up some great stats. But he also has some flaws. Worse, the free agency period after 2012 has us looking at the possible departures of Nicks, Cruz, and Barden. We are not going to give up Nicks; Reese can be cheap, but ithe's not stupid. Cruz is arguably as good as Manningham now--but it's still a relatively small sample size. And Barden might start looking like the guy off of the bench; he did seem to play pretty well last week; and we are definitely going to need someone since there is no way we can keep all of these players. This is why I hate drafting multiple players for the same position in a single year. Thomas, Clayton and Hixon are also Free Agents this year, but they're not really core players.

Good breakdown Fish. I'm totally with you on your assessment of the positions and what it will take to keep them. The T2 injury might be a blessing in disguise. I think he's a player that we can retain at least on a short term deal, because of the multiple surgeries on that knee, I expect his market to be greatly reduced. It may be possible to resign both T2 and Ross as a result. Another guy that hasn't been discussed is Chad Jones. I know he's still a big longshot, but there's something special about him... I'm just a big fan of his dedication to get back and his story... I know he's working so hard and it would be so great if he could suit up in a Giants uniform one day.

Your point about Manningham is very true. I think Cruz is the ideal slot receiver... I see him there for a long time. But Manningham's hands and field awareness, to me, are subpar. He's fast and all, but I was watching the Raiders-Chargers game last night and Denarious Moore, a 5th round pick, was awesome. Palmer raved about him after the game saying he could be one of the NFL's best if he puts the work in. What I see in guys like Moore last night is the reason I think we could do a bit better than Mannnigham as the #2. Barden is interesting as well, but I'm not sure if he's the ideal type of receiver to be opposite Hakeem Nicks. A couple of years ago the Cardinals had Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, and had a similar guy like Cruz in the slot. I think Nicks is your Boldin, although I think Nicks is better and can stretch the field more than Anquan, but I don't think we have a Larry Fitzgerald (forgive the hyperbolic comparison). Not saying we have to have someone of that pedigree, like an early first rounder, but I really do think a guy like Justin Blackmon across from Nicks would be so, so amazing.

Who we keep and who we lose at wide receiver the next two offseasons is going to be pivotal to our offense's character. I don't think we're going to be a primarily possession sort of offense for much longer; so I would bet Barden is the odd guy out. Nicks, who can be a big play receiver, seems to be playing the possession role to me this year; the difference is that he brings long ball play to the table as well. Between Nicks and Cruz, I'm not sure where Manningham fits, either.

Toss in Jernigan after a year if he develops, and you have a nice, fast little slot receiver with some RAC capability, and Cruz has some space. If he develops. We're seeing much more passing to the backs this year than the last few years; and based on performance, I'm thinking that the Oline is being geared more for pass protection than a running game. Even the backs we acquired this year scream short passing game.

I could easily be wrong; but I don't think this is a run-first team for much longer.

Completely forgot about Chad Jones; hope he makes it, but I wouldn't depend on it.

Guest StrahansGap

At this point, I'm confident Jerry Reese will make the right decisions in regards to who to keep and who to let go. Proof is in the pudding this year with the letting go of Smith and Boss. Ballard and Cruz are making Reese look like a fucking genius. Take another look at that list. I think most of us would agree with who Reese decides to pay and keep, and who to let go. From my list of 25's and under, I see Reese waving goodbye to Bradshaw, Kenny Phillips, and either Manningham or Nicks down the road. And would he be wrong? Absolutely not. All four of those players could possibly command some very big contracts. And of ALL of the players listed, the ONLY one I see Reese giving the big bucks to (and I mean "Giant forever" bucks) is Jason Pierre-Paul.

Would Reese be wrong in any of my assumptions??

At this point, I'm confident Jerry Reese will make the right decisions in regards to who to keep and who to let go. Proof is in the pudding this year with the letting go of Smith and Boss. Ballard and Cruz are making Reese look like a fucking genius. Take another look at that list. I think most of us would agree with who Reese decides to pay and keep, and who to let go. From my list of 25's and under, I see Reese waving goodbye to Bradshaw, Kenny Phillips, and either Manningham or Nicks down the road. And would he be wrong? Absolutely not. All four of those players could possibly command some very big contracts. And of ALL of the players listed, the ONLY one I see Reese giving the big bucks to (and I mean "Giant forever" bucks) is Jason Pierre-Paul.

Bradshaw..all depends on who steps up in his place, is it Da'rell Scott or someone not on the roster?

I think he keeps Phillips..don't have another replacement.

I can see Manningham leaving, but not Nicks. He's too big of a matchup problem for other teams.

Funny, you didn't feel that way about Umenyiora after his second season?

Bleedin', the only point of contention I have is Jernigan. I hated it when we drafted him and I still think he's going to be an absolute bust. I just really don't like little receivers like him (5'8") unless they are stout. And what I mean by that is Santana Moss and Steve Smith are two guys that are smaller receivers, but have strength like a bigger receiver. The are smaller receivers that play like big receivers. Jernigan to me is a small receiver that plays small. I don't think he can take NFL hits, and I think he's just going to be another Sinorice. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but on this one, I don't think so.

The good thing is we have Cruz and I think he's your slot guy for the next 10 years. He has the quickness off the LOS and agility and seems to have the durability to run all over the field. I think of Cruz like a Brandon Stokley or Wes Welker. Not to say they can't play outside, but he's just such an asset in the slot that he is going to be a matchup nightmare for nickel corners for years to come. If Manningham can just improve upon his hands and sideline work, I think he'd be fine as the #2. But I think he's had enough time to work on that and I wouldn't mind seeing someone else supplant him.

I keep going back to something I read Fewell said about Austin... It may have been Reese, but he compared him to Warren Sapp. I believe he said he is Sapp-like. That statement got me really excited. Imagine if Austin is that good. With JPP and Tuck on the ends? It may take some time but the building blocks are there for a dominant defense, as long as injuries don't derail what Reese is building.

I remember seeing reports as well that he was a beast in training camp. Not that it really means anything, but it's sure as hell better than looking like crap in training camp.