SportsWrath

Giants in serious talks with RB Jason Snelling

BleedinBlue

from PFT:

"Re-signing top running back Ahmad Bradshaw was one of the New York Giants’ main priorities in free agency, but ESPN’s John Clayton reported Sunday that the sides are “not close” to an agreement. The Giants may have directed their running back pursuits elsewhere.

A league source tells PFT that the Giants have been in discussions with free agent running back Jason Snelling, who played the last four seasons with the Falcons. The source called a deal between the Giants and Snelling a “definite possibility.”

Snelling has also received interest from the Bengals this week. It’s unclear whether Sunday’s re-signing of Cedric Benson removed Snelling from consideration in Cincinnati.

Listed at 5-foot-11, 223, Snelling has the look of a power back but offers impressive versatility. Terrific as a pass protector and receiver out of the backfield, Snelling wound up playing more snaps than starter Michael Turner in Atlanta over the past two seasons.

Snelling was also linked to the Rams in a recent St. Louis Post-Dispatch report. He would back up Steven Jackson there."

He could offer a nice "Thunder and Thunder" backfield with Jacobs.

With the Redskins trading for Hightower, and now the Giants toying with Snelling......Bradshaw better come off his high horse and sign the contract the Giants have put in front of him. His options keep running out and leverage is going back and forth and this time, might be the last time he's lost leverage. Dangling Snelling in front of him should make him think twice about playing games with the Giants. For crying out loud, Jacobs took a paycut to help keep him. He should honor that!

The league has changed so much in terms of player movement and the new rules that at this point I am taking a "Don't give a fuck" attitude towards player movement and letting it play out and see how these new rules impact the game.

snelling is coming for a visit.

Yeah....just read that on PFT

"Silva took a break from the Rotoworld grindstone earlier today to report that the Giants could have interest in free-agent running back Jason Snelling.

The “could” has become a little stronger.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, Snelling is on his way to New York for a visit.

The development comes at a time when veteran free agent Ahmad Bradshaw remains unsigned. With Bradshaw possibly willing to explore other options, the Giants are, too.

The flirtation with Snelling could be aimed at getting a final answer out of Bradshaw. And if the answer is “no,” maybe Snelling could be the guy.

Snelling spent his first four seasons with the Falcons."

Career long is 31 yards. He had one very good game last season (against the Cards). But we're not talking Bradshaw here. I have respect for Snelling's game but Bradshaw is much more of a homerun threat and I think our QB needs that guy to bring that fear factor to the table for opposing defenses. We're a better team with AB... If they think Snelling is the answer, then I'm a little concerned.

it's a money move, not a talent move. i would bet that snelling easily outproduces what we pay him if we bring him in even if bradshaw has a better season somewhere else

And probably most importantly in comparing the two, Snelling has lost 1 fumble in 4 seasons.

It wouldnt be a big drop in production. Remember, Snelling has never been a feature back. I wouldn't mind Snelling spelling Jacobs and being the 3rd down back. If he can hold on to the football he's already better than Bradshaw, in my opinion.

yeah i like snelling a lot too. the beauty of bradshaw was that he was a 7th round pick, now he's going to be expensive and i hate paying a premium price for running backs, especially if we're in such bad cap trouble

There is only so much $$$ you can risk on a guy with a long history of lower body injuries.

The Giants run a zone blocking scheme. When we are dominating at the line our backs produce.

I would much rather see them get Boss's deal done.

There is only so much $$$ you can risk on a guy with a long history of lower body injuries.

The Giants run a zone blocking scheme. When we are dominating at the line our backs produce.

I would much rather see them get Boss's deal done.

Not to mention Steve Smith... beside, is Ware still on the team?

Screw Bradshaw, bring in Snelling. Don't need Bradshaw losing the damn ball every four carries. Bradshaw also has some injury issues, two cracked ankles for a cut back style runner is not good. Fuck him, looks like Reese is not waivering either, on what we originally offered Bradshaw. We deal with Jacobs,Snelling,Ware,Scott. Draft a feature back next year, in what looks to be a very good class.

How much money do we have left? How do you think Jacobs feels that he took a pay cut to help keep Bradshaw and Bradshaw pulls this crap. If I was Jacobs I would have Bradshaw in a head lock right now.

The league has changed so much in terms of player movement and the new rules that at this point I am taking a "Don't give a fuck" attitude towards player movement and letting it play out and see how these new rules impact the game.

I feel exactly the same way... my god it's like fuckin musical chairs... in hyper speed. :TD:

I know it's gonna feel weird not seeing Richie in the line.. dude was tough as nails.

Concerning Ware, yes. He was practicing with the starters yesterday since Jacobs just signed the restructured contract and league rules prevent him from practicing until 8/4.

It wouldnt be a big drop in production. Remember, Snelling has never been a feature back. I wouldn't mind Snelling spelling Jacobs and being the 3rd down back. If he can hold on to the football he's already better than Bradshaw, in my opinion.

My grandmother limping with a cane would be better if she held onto the ball compared to Bradshaw.... :smartass: