SportsWrath

It's Official - Plax will be wearing green this year!

BleedinBlue

Plax will NOT be a Giant, but will stay in New York playing for the NY Jets.

In a way, I'm relieved. There's enough unrest and problems on the team thanks to Osi that we don't need more. Now....SIGN SMITH, Reese!

This from profootballtalk.com:

"Plaxico Burress, the former New York Giants receiver who spent two years in prison on a gun conviction, will sign with the Jets, PFT has confirmed.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Burress’s deal is a one-year, $3,017,000 fully guaranteed contract.

There was talk that the Steelers, 49ers or Giants would sign Burress, but the Jets make a lot of sense: Burress can play a similar role to Braylon Edwards, who isn’t expected to return, and $3 million for a year is less than they would have had to pay to keep Edwards.

The question now is whether Burress has anything left: He already looked like he was slowing down before he accidentally shot himself, and now he may be rusty and out of shape. We’ll see soon how Burress looks — in a Jets uniform."

$3M guaranteed.. that's probably where it came down to. We needed Plax more.. seeing what the Eagle's have done defensively... but oh well.

This just in........ per Shefter tweet

Adam Schefter Plaxico Burress told Eagles he would go there if they met his price. Jets asked if same deal applied. Yes, they were told. Offer and deal.

Is samuel gone now? What is the price Plaxico has in his head?

image.jpg

OK Plax now tell them Spags called and wants to meet with you. and the rams said they would offer you 5 million then I can move Samuel to the Cards after you hoodwink the jets like the eagles did LOL this will be great. this way I can get you in Philly for the most money

Seems as if Plax preferred a coach that won't make him show up for practice on time and won't ride his ass for being sloppy the way Coughlin had. Anyway, here's more from profootballtalk.com

"So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

Ryan sold Burress on the coach’s belief that Plaxico can get them over the top, just as he helped get the Giants over the top four years ago with the Giants.

Though we’d previously believed the Giants were possibly kicking tires on Burress to protect themselves against criticism if he went to a team like the Jets or Eagles and became a star again, we’re told that the Giants were indeed serious.

But not as serious as the Jets.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

On Saturday, Burress gushed specifically about Ryan in comments to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I think he’s great,” Burress said of Rex Ryan. “He stands behind his players, I think his players have a lot of respect for him and they play hard for him. . . . He’s a great coach, great personality. He seems like he’s always upbeat.”

So the Jets have everything that Burress was looking for. And they think he gives them what they need to get what they’ve been striving for.

So instead of a formidable one-two punch at cornerback with Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, the Jets will unleash a potent combination of Burress and Santonio Holmes, six weeks from tonight on NBC".

I thought it was a long shot for Plax to come back to the Giants. We're going to live and die this year on Eli's right arm, and the health of our starters. We are going to need to resign Smith, but we need someone to emerge as a fallback because I don't know if Smith is going to be the Smith of old to start the season. Hopefully Barden can step up if he's ever injury-free.

There's also Victor Cruz and Devin Thomas... maybe one of them will be a diamond in the rough. But someone is going to need to step it up outside of Nicks and Manningham.

I thought it was a long shot for Plax to come back to the Giants. We're going to live and die this year on Eli's right arm, and the health of our starters. We are going to need to resign Smith, but we need someone to emerge as a fallback because I don't know if Smith is going to be the Smith of old to start the season. Hopefully Barden can step up if he's ever injury-free.

There's also Victor Cruz and Devin Thomas... maybe one of them will be a diamond in the rough. But someone is going to need to step it up outside of Nicks and Manningham.

I too really hope we sign Smith, but we have more in the cupboard than Cruz and Thomas. Besides the starters Nicks and Manningham, there's Jerrel Jernigan, Domenik Hixon, Ramses Barden of course, and Duke Calhoun, as well as some other rookies we've picked up for camp fodder. Hopefully, if we can't keep Smith, one of these guys will surprise and step up big. I think both Cruz and Jernigan could be big surprises for us.

Came down to $$$

Giants offered him 1.0 million guanranteed with 2 million bonus for performance incentives and 1.5 million

For

Being active every game for a total of 4.5 but only 1.0 guaranteed.

Not according to the NYPost. It said that the Giants offer to Plax: $4 mil, $1 mil salary (zero $ signing bonus), 500G for being active every game, $2.5 mil in performance bonuses. The Jets didn't offer more overall, but offered more "guaranteed money and a signing bonus".....plus of course, Plax thinks the rules will be a lot looser playing for Ryan. He might be in for a surprise there. One thing about Plax, he does NOT like tight rules.

Devin Thomas is an interesting case. He hasn't really shown much as a WR but having spent 2/3rds of his career as Skin mitigates this to some extent. The skins have not had a serviceable WR or QB in years.

If he can perform well on ST he might stick.

...seriously, people really wanted this fucking douche back on the team? The guy with the whopping 300 yards and six billion fines BEFORE shooting himself in the leg?

He of the sideline "fuck yous" to the coaches and the giving up on plays so that INTs become pick-6's?

Yes, he was gritty and tough when the Giants won the super bowl... FOUR YEARS AGO. He's washed up and useless now. Move forward.

...seriously, people really wanted this fucking douche back on the team? The guy with the whopping 300 yards and six billion fines BEFORE shooting himself in the leg?

He of the sideline "fuck yous" to the coaches and the giving up on plays so that INTs become pick-6's?

Yes, he was gritty and tough when the Giants won the super bowl... FOUR YEARS AGO. He's washed up and useless now. Move forward.

Even if he never caught a ball, just him being on the field would command a double team. At least until teams figured out he was "washed up". Or he'd be single covered with teams figuring he's washed up and then he'd light them up. Either way, for at least half the season, nobody would know what to do with him, and we could have used that to our advantage.

Even if he never caught a ball, just him being on the field would command a double team. At least until teams figured out he was "washed up". Or he'd be single covered with teams figuring he's washed up and then he'd light them up. Either way, for at least half the season, nobody would know what to do with him, and we could have used that to our advantage.

I'd agree with you if we didn't already have Nicks and Manningham. If Smith comes back that makes three guys I'd have start over a 34-year-old child who's been out of football for almost three years. The guy doesn't have the work ethic of a T.O. or a Jerry Rice... I don't think his best years are going to suddenly come in his 30's.

I'd agree with you if we didn't already have Nicks and Manningham. If Smith comes back that makes three guys I'd have start over a 34-year-old child who's been out of football for almost three years. The guy doesn't have the work ethic of a T.O. or a Jerry Rice... I don't think his best years are going to suddenly come in his 30's.

Nicks and Manningham are not going to command the double team as having Plax on the field would. Is Plax going to be the same as he was in '07? I doubt it. But if you had to cover Plax and Smith/Nicks/Manningham, what would you do? Who would you leave single covered? All I'm saying is, it would confuse D's at least for a while, maybe long enough for us to lock up at least a wild card. If not Plax, Brandon Marshall maybe? :rolleyes:

Nicks and Manningham are not going to command the double team as having Plax on the field would. Is Plax going to be the same as he was in '07? I doubt it. But if you had to cover Plax and Smith/Nicks/Manningham, what would you do? Who would you leave single covered? All I'm saying is, it would confuse D's at least for a while, maybe long enough for us to lock up at least a wild card. If not Plax, Brandon Marshall maybe? :rolleyes:

You know, it's funny you say that. For the first time in... well, ever... I actually am starting to have a little sympathy and respect for Marshall. I just read this over on NFL.com and it almost seems like he's finally starting to get it.

Marshall reveals Borderline Personality Disorder

Still not sure I'd want to bring him in but he does seem to finally be receptive to treatment and the Giants do have a history of rehabilitating troubled players (Christian Peter, Kerry Collins, etc.)