SportsWrath

Bradshaw gone?

BIGBLUE01

That being said, I kind of hope he does go to a team for a big contract--huge signing bonus. He gave football fans a lot of thrills, and being a seventh rounder, I doubt he was compensated to the level he deserves (at least by NFL standards). I'm rooting for him as a person to get that big contract, just not on my Giants.

We don't get a Lombardi in '07 without his late-season/playoff heroics.

True....and I agree.

Paul Dotino was on WFAN during lunch, and mentioned Sproles will likely be cut by the Chargers, hence he could be a replacement for Ahmad. Also said Miami is rumored to be offering Bradshaw around $6mil/year

I guess he won't be back if he's looking for that kind of money. It's a thin FA market for RBs so he'll probably get a good contract.

Good to know he'll come cheaper now that Miami's out of the mix. Then again, with this becoming a two-back league, maybe Miami doesn't back off completely. With Miami having Reggie Bush, they're free to resign Brown OR still go after Bradshaw.

I don't think Bradshaw is going to find the money out there that he wants. Around the league, a lot of teams are in the same cap situation as the Giants are, and not a lot of teams are willing to pay big money for running backs. You have a lot of rookie running backs coming in as well. And not a lot of teams have that need. As far as I've heard, only Miami and Carolina were kicking the tires on Bradshaw. I think Miami is out now, and Carolina is out with the resigning of D-Will.

Bradshaw is going to have to come down on his asking price.

As far as Sproles goes, he is not a replacement for Bradshaw. Sproles is very small, and cannot be a guy that runs 200 plus times per year. He doesn't have the power in his legs that Bradshaw does. What Sproles does well is come in as a 3rd down RB and run a screen very well. He's more of a receiver than a runner. Last year he had 59 receptions compared to 50 carries. And, the most carries Sproles ever had in a season was 93 in 2009, and he had a career low in YPC that year with a 3.7 ypc. He's not an inside/outside runner like Bradshaw is. It definitely is going to be tough to replace Bradshaw if he walks, and although I like Sproles as a complimentary player, he's certainly not the answer.

Some other free agents that are fall back options for the Giants:

Michael Bush (my favorite)

Jerome Harrison (expected cut, my second favorite)

Joseph Addai

Cadillac Williams

Julius Jones

Jason Snelling

Jerious Norwood

Since both Deangelo Williams and Reggie Bush have settled on their future playing field and since only Miami (and possibly the Panthers) were interested in Bradshaw.....there is little Bradshaw can do unless a team out of nowhere jumps into the fray (which I don't see). Leverage is a fickle bitch!

Remember how Derrick Ward had a breakout year when he ran behind the Giants' line.....then he left and hasn't done squat. I am a firm believer that the O-line (and a good blocking TE or HB) together with good play calling has an awful lot to do with a RB racking up yards.

Don't get me wrong...I like Bradshaw and think he's got a good motor and is fun to watch (when he hangs onto the ball), but the Giants shouldn't paint themselves in a corner with a huge contract to keep him. Unless some other team steps up to the plate looking for his services, the Giants should sit pat with their offer....for they are playing poker against themselves right now.

I'd bet a lot of money that in the end, Bradshaw is still a Giant.