SportsWrath

Bradshaw gone?

BIGBLUE01

Too many foot/ankle surgeries to overpay for Bradshaw. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't out last his next contract.

Pat him on the back and open the door for him as he walks out........ wish him a "GOD speed John Glenn .... ;) Average to good running backs are pretty much interchangeable these days. His lack of ball security destroys any of his positives...how many games have we lost because he forgets he is supposed to hold onto the ball until the whistle blows?

Too many foot/ankle surgeries to overpay for Bradshaw. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't out last his next contract.

Exactly....pretty soon, there won't be any tread left on his tires.

Why discounted? He's a very good receiver and should get compensated accordingly.

We are over the cap, we will not be able to match what other teams will offer. Lots of teams are way under the cap, Their is gonna be a free agent frenzy once this lockout ends like tomorrow. Smith is unrestricted which means, he is free to sign anywhere. He will also want to get in camp, and get a reasonable deal. He will want to get somewhere close to what other top FA WR's are getting, LIke Holmes,Jackson and Rice.

We are over the cap, we will not be able to match what other teams will offer. Lots of teams are way under the cap, Their is gonna be a free agent frenzy once this lockout ends like tomorrow. Smith is unrestricted which means, he is free to sign anywhere. He will also want to get in camp, and get a reasonable deal. He will want to get somewhere close to what other top FA WR's are getting, LIke Holmes,Jackson and Rice.

I can honestly say Steve Smith is the one player, in a loooong time (since tiki :unsure: ), that has not bitched about money. He has stated time and time again that he wants to stay in Blue. Does that mean he doesnt want more money? Of course not, but if anyone would stay at a discounted rate, it'd be Smith.

Wait wait wait wait,

People do know this next season (if there is one) will be uncapped right?

It wont be until next season that the new CBA (once again, if there is one) will be in effect.

that is certainly the first i heard this, are you positive?

Once the collective bargaining agreement is signed and the league is up and operating, teams have to return to the days of getting under the cap. The 2011 cap is going to be at $120 million, and there figure to be several cap casualties, particularly because the 2009 cap was at $128 million.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

Wait wait wait wait,

People do know this next season (if there is one) will be uncapped right?

It wont be until next season that the new CBA (once again, if there is one) will be in effect.

the cap will be $120 million dollars for each team.

no loyalty huh? thats garbage. he should stay.

He isn't really that good if he can't hold onto the ball. Now he's saying he wants to play for the Dolphins. Why would any Giants fan be loyal to a guy if he doesn't even want to work on his flaws as a Giant? The place he helped win a Super Bowl in.

Anyone with any ideas what the future status of restricted vs unrestricted free agents will be? Steve Smith and Kiwanuka have 2nd round tenders on them depending on how the new CBA defines free agency.

Anyone with any ideas what the future status of restricted vs unrestricted free agents will be? Steve Smith and Kiwanuka have 2nd round tenders on them depending on how the new CBA defines free agency.

All the guys that were just franchised and tendered will no longer be once the deal is done. The players no longer want the franchise tag and it won't be in the new deal. It's going to be a free for all free agency period for like three days once this shit finally gets settled. I am fucking frankly, tired of hearing...It's close but no, oh it's gonna be done tonight, oh no players won't vote. Fucking mother of a bitch, the preseason starts two weeks from Sunday, get the shit done.

He isn't really that good if he can't hold onto the ball. Now he's saying he wants to play for the Dolphins. Why would any Giants fan be loyal to a guy if he doesn't even want to work on his flaws as a Giant? The place he helped win a Super Bowl in.

dont confuse what drew rosenhaus said with what ahmad bradshaw says.

I can honestly say Steve Smith is the one player, in a loooong time (since tiki :unsure: ), that has not bitched about money. He has stated time and time again that he wants to stay in Blue. Does that mean he doesnt want more money? Of course not, but if anyone would stay at a discounted rate, it'd be Smith.

I think the Giants should make room under the cap for someone as solid as Smith.

Pat him on the back and open the door for him as he walks out........ wish him a "GOD speed John Glenn .... ;) Average to good running backs are pretty much interchangeable these days. His lack of ball security destroys any of his positives...how many games have we lost because he forgets he is supposed to hold onto the ball until the whistle blows?

Exactly....pretty soon, there won't be any tread left on his tires.

That being said, I kind of hope he does go to a team for a big contract--huge signing bonus. He gave football fans a lot of thrills, and being a seventh rounder, I doubt he was compensated to the level he deserves (at least by NFL standards). I'm rooting for him as a person to get that big contract, just not on my Giants.

We don't get a Lombardi in '07 without his late-season/playoff heroics.

That being said, I kind of hope he does go to a team for a big contract--huge signing bonus. He gave football fans a lot of thrills, and being a seventh rounder, I doubt he was compensated to the level he deserves (at least by NFL standards). I'm rooting for him as a person to get that big contract, just not on my Giants.

We don't get a Lombardi in '07 without his late-season/playoff heroics.

Who would be our RB if Ahmad leaves? BJ? Ware? Scott? Cause it doesnt sound like Jacobs wants to be in Blue.

Ahmad Bradshaw’s interview on a Miami radio station this afternoon was like one of his runs: it involved multiple changes of direction.

The Giants’ free agent running back gave mixed signals as to whether he’ll return to the team that drafted him in the seventh round four years ago. On the one hand, he talked up a return to the Giants, praised the New York-New Jersey area and showed love for Tom Coughlin. But on the other, he fanned the flames of talk he’ll soon be a Dolphin by saying it would "look good" to be in a Miami uniform and that he would like to play for Dolphins coach Tony Sparano.

Of course, Bradshaw realizes the Giants will have first crack.

“It’s all in the Giants’ hands. I want to be a Football Giant, I love the Giants’ organization,” Bradshaw said during an interview with WQAM’s Sid Rosenberg. “It’s all a process, it’s a business, man. I just have to go with the flow and see what happens.

“I love New York, and that gives them the upper hand. But like I said, it’s all a business. … I take it very seriously where I want to be. I love New York, I’d love to stay there but then the money factor comes in.”

Asked by Rosenberg what percentage he’d put on a return to the Giants vs. heading elsewhere, Bradshaw replied, “I’d have to say 75-25. I really don’t know if I’m in the Dolphins’ minds right now. I can’t talk to anybody right now, so I really don’t know. The Giants have the upper hand right now, I love New York, I have a place there and I have a lot of fans there. So they have to have the high percentage right now.”

Yet, when Rosenberg replied by telling Bradshaw he’s in the Dolphins’ minds, Bradshaw shot back, “It would look great, wouldn’t it?”

The bottom line for the Giants is they have to figure out if they can make the kind of offer that will make Bradshaw happy. Given their needs at wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker and tight end (Steve Smith, Barry Cofield, Mathias Kiwanuka, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss will all be free agents), it’s quite possible they won’t be able to give Bradshaw a monster deal. And given the depth many expect at running back on the free agent market, it might make sense for them to save a few dollars in the backfield to free up money to use elsewhere.

If Bradshaw leaves (and for what it's worth, I'm told the Dolphins are looking for a shifty running back, and he certainly fits that mold), one possibility to replace him would be the Dolphins’ Ronnie Brown, a former teammate of Brandon Jacobs at Auburn who figures to come cheaper than Bradshaw given his history of knee injuries and a lack of production. A former No. 2 overall pick, Brown played all 16 games last season for only the second time in his career and had 200 carries, though he averaged just 3.7 yards per attempt.

Other free-agent possibilities might include the Panthers’ DeAngelo Williams and the Saints’ Reggie Bush, though they might wind up costing as much as Bradshaw would.

Another aspect to keep in mind when it comes to the Giants’ decision on Bradshaw is the character issue. Much as it was said the team took a chance on him in the ’07 draft, the truth was it wasn’t much of a gamble. If he stepped out of line, all they would have lost would have been a seventh-round pick and a small signing bonus. Now, they’ll be forced to make a real commitment and, trust me, the character concerns haven’t gone away simply because Bradshaw has stayed out of legal trouble the past four years.

But as far as Bradshaw is concerned, he’s a hot commodity who wants to be the unquestioned starter.

“It seemed like they were going to get both of us back. They talked about it, but they know I’m not going to go for nothing less,” Bradshaw said of himself and Jacobs. “With Brandon, they have him for two more years and they know what to expect from him. But with me, I just want to be a feature back. I feel like I can carry the ball a ton of times a game and I feel like I can put it on my shoulders.”

Bradshaw began last season as the Giants’ starter but was mostly a backup after fumbling issues (six in the first 10 games) dropped him behind Jacobs on the depth chart in November. Still, he averaged over 15 carries and had nothing bad to say about Coughlin when asked about him today.

“You know what, Coughlin’s a great guy, man. He treats me like a son,” said Bradshaw, who rushed for 1,235 yards last season, his first time crackin 1,000 yards. “I don’t know about the other guys and I don’t know if it’s what you do for him or what not. I can’t speak for anybody else. But he’s a great coach, he gets you prepared for every game. I can’t say anything about Coach Coughlin.”

And in keeping with his back-and-forth display during the interview, he then complimented Sparano.

“You know what, you have to look at it like Coach Coughlin, he has his ways. He’s showed everybody what he can do,” Bradshaw said. “With Coach Sparano, I’d like to come to Miami and play for him anytime, if that happens.”

And for the fans down there. And the sunshine, of course.

“There are great people down here. It’s beautiful, the weather is amazing, that’s a good thing for me,” he said. “The fans are great in New York. Just the atmosphere down here in Miami, it kind of reminds me of it.”.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_running_back_ahmad.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/bradshaw_sends_mixed_messages/