SportsWrath

Two things I still don't get

Sephiroth

Actually, Dodge has been pretty good the last few weeks and right up until that horrible last kick, was very good today. And do you think punters grow on trees? You figure they could just get on the horn and a better punter will appear in East Rutherford tomorrow? They had some punters in for a look see early when he struggled but not recently. If they thought there was somebody better available, then or now, he'd be gone.

I agree completely, Dodge was a weapon up until the last kick yesterday, he had as much to do with that big lead as a punter can. He pinned them inside the 15 once and inside the 10 once that I can remember, and they were haveing to fair catch almost every punt. Dodge is a keeper.

I agree completely, Dodge was a weapon up until the last kick yesterday, he had as much to do with that big lead as a punter can. He pinned them inside the 15 once and inside the 10 once that I can remember, and they were haveing to fair catch almost every punt. Dodge is a keeper.

Matt Dodge still fumbles punts, shanks in a big spot, and does things like blow games by kicking line-drive punts to the league's best returners.

"Where was the coverage?" Thirty yards behind the punt... since the punter gave the coverage units no time to get downfield.

He was told to kick the ball out of bounds. Instead he was arguably the biggest contributor to the most heartbreaking loss in recent memory... if this were the playoffs, we'd be mentioning him with Trey Junkin.

Dodge is 25th in the league in net punt average. Only seven guys are worse. SEVEN.

He's only a "keeper" if we like non-clutch guys who blow it in the big spot. Does anyone REALLY feel good about this guy going into the playoffs?

Matt Dodge still fumbles punts, shanks in a big spot, and does things like blow games by kicking line-drive punts to the league's best returners.

"Where was the coverage?" Thirty yards behind the punt... since the punter gave the coverage units no time to get downfield.

He was told to kick the ball out of bounds. Instead he was arguably the biggest contributor to the most heartbreaking loss in recent memory... if this were the playoffs, we'd be mentioning him with Trey Junkin.

Dodge is 25th in the league in net punt average. Only seven guys are worse. SEVEN.

He's only a "keeper" if we like non-clutch guys who blow it in the big spot. Does anyone REALLY feel good about this guy going into the playoffs?

Pretty compelling argument to dump this kid. Personally, I think he has exceeded his capacity of dipshit moves. He freezes under pressure. Not good at all. Maybe he redeems himself next week, but I doubt it.

Everyone here knew going into the season that our special teams suck. They had two chances - FULLY COACHED UP - not to blow the game.

They were told to watch for the onside kick.......they fucked that one up.

They (Dodge) was told to kick it out of bounds.....possibly the easiest thing for a punter to do.....fucked that up too.

The Goats Horns go right on the defense, but ST deserves honorable mention.....they had a huge hand in blowing this game.

The only player that didn't fuck the dog was Eli.

It was a horrible punt, no doubt about it....but to think they can bring in somebody better tomorrow is ludicrous. If they could, why haven't those 7 teams with punters with worse net averages done so? A HOF punter retired and we have a rookie, who has been pretty good since his shaky start, including, as VG points out, his earlier punts yesterday. That's life in the NFL.

And here's a question to ponder: if Dodge had punted out of bounds, do you think we would have won in OT? Obviously, we'll never know but my guess is we'd have had a 50/50 chance if we won the toss and almost no chance if we lost it.

Getting back to Dodge....I'm not pinning the loss on this kid, but he has shown, throughout the year, that he is absolutely unpredictable and undependable.

I don't care how bad the snap is....turn your body, and kick it out of bounds.

So, yeah, I pin the last points on him.

But it never, ever should have gotten to that point.

i agree- not pinning the loss on him, just like i didn't pin a loss on trey judkins (sp) but when 2 teams are evenly matched like that, your weakness

will always come out and bite you in the ass. in '02, we could not get snapping and holding stabilized but fassel let it ride and voila.

same thing with dodge. clearly, he doesn't know where the ball is going when it leaves his foot. coughlin has let this problem marinate all season

and here we go again. I think that's what coach meant when he said "this is all on me" damn skippy, tom.

Ok, not only did Dodge kick a line drive right to Jackson, arguably the biggest playmaker in the league right now, but he BARELY reached the Eagles 40. Had Jackson called for fair catch, or even been tackled, they still would have had time (about 12-15 seconds) to drive the ball the 20 more yards needed for a game winning attempt from David Akers. Matt Dodge completely blew it, either way.

And just responding to what VG posted in another thread, I remember sitting there watching the game with my wife.

My wife had no idea what sort of disaster was brewing, but I could feel it coming on like a diarrhea attack.

Right before Manningham fumbled, I said, "honey, Offensive Coordinator Joe would run Jacobs up the gut 3x....and then punt....get the fucking ball out of our red zone."

Again, not pinning it on him either, but at some point, an offensive coordinator should look up at the scoreboard.

Still though, Gilbride and Manning put the game away when Boss grabbed that TD.....that should have been game fucking over.

Quinn wasnt the one who KICKED THAT LINE DRIVE ASS-WIPE PUNT DIRECTLY AT JACKSON!!!! Quinn needs to be canned ASAP and Dodge needs to be raped and murdered in the locker room. I dont know - but Im sure some heads are gonna roll after this debacle.

:unsure:

He was kicking well to that point. Quinn couldn't work out that the coverage had to concentrate on Jackson, even if the ball was supposed to be angled out of bounds? WTF were the other 10 guys doing on that play?

Not that it should have even gone to where that punt was critical.

The answer is we still would have lost that game. Momentum shifted in the second half, looked like the Giants thought the game was over in the first half and never came back out of the locker room for the second half.

It was a horrible punt, no doubt about it....but to think they can bring in somebody better tomorrow is ludicrous. If they could, why haven't those 7 teams with punters with worse net averages done so? A HOF punter retired and we have a rookie, who has been pretty good since his shaky start, including, as VG points out, his earlier punts yesterday. That's life in the NFL.

And here's a question to ponder: if Dodge had punted out of bounds, do you think we would have won in OT? Obviously, we'll never know but my guess is we'd have had a 50/50 chance if we won the toss and almost no chance if we lost it.

The answer is we still would have lost that game. Momentum shifted in the second half, looked like the Giants thought the game was over in the first half and never came back out of the locker room for the second half.

Without a doubt, once it was 31-31, that was it.....I was thinking:

a) We lose the toss, Vick scores a TD in OT.

b) We win the toss, get stuffed, punt, Vick scores a TD in OT.

Either way, Dodge just hastened the final score.

yup- first thing i said to my buddy was "wow i was expecting we'd lose in OT"

but dodge still sucks.

Getting back to Dodge....I'm not pinning the loss on this kid, but he has shown, throughout the year, that he is absolutely unpredictable and undependable.

I don't care how bad the snap is....turn your body, and kick it out of bounds.

So, yeah, I pin the last points on him.

But it never, ever should have gotten to that point.

The offense had given the defense a 21 point lead with 8 minutes on the clock. I've never been a big fan of the prevent, but surely, the scheme should have been tweaked to ensure that the Giants kept everyone in front of them.

And the onsides kick was clearly a coaching error.....I assume the special teams coach is responsible for that.

Long story short, the defense and special teams fucked up....and I put way more on the players than on Coughlin.

But fuck it.....beat Green Bay, and none of this shit matters.

Remember when we said that about Tynes and all of a sudden this year he has been pretty much Money 17 for 20 FG's and 39 for 39 PAT's

Remember when we said that about Tynes and all of a sudden this year he has been pretty much Money 17 for 20 FG's and 39 for 39 PAT's

Tynes isn't out of my doghouse. The only reason he's not fucking up is because someone else is.....but once we need something from the guy, he'll fail us too.

i don't see what one has to do with the other. remember william joseph? he sucked the first year and then he sucked the next 5.

If Tynes causes me to crack walnuts with my ass....Dodge causes me to crack open fucking brazil nuts man. :jerkoff:

i agree- not pinning the loss on him, just like i didn't pin a loss on trey judkins (sp) but when 2 teams are evenly matched like that, your weakness

will always come out and bite you in the ass. in '02, we could not get snapping and holding stabilized but fassel let it ride and voila.

same thing with dodge. clearly, he doesn't know where the ball is going when it leaves his foot. coughlin has let this problem marinate all season

and here we go again. I think that's what coach meant when he said "this is all on me" damn skippy, tom.

My Brother.... :afro:

yup- first thing i said to my buddy was "wow i was expecting we'd lose in OT"

but dodge still sucks.

That's why when VG blames Gilbride for the 1:19 left lack of running I don't. The Giants had to drive for a FG because OT was not a good option.

the dog would guess they were coached to stay in their lanes, be more conservative on the way down, and if he has a 20 yard return so be it, just don't give up the big play. going down at full tilt could result in missed tackles and once he cleared the first wave, he would be gone. ironically, it happened anyway. muffed catches tend to result in these kind of returns all the time - it actually worked to his advantage in the dog's opinion. lucky for him. and yes, the vaunted defense couldn't make one stop...that is bad.

But he muffed the punt, so I was expecting everyone to go balls out towards the ball. But then I remembered it was a stinkin line drive punt, they didnt have a ton of time to get down there. Idk, I was drunk and pissed that we let them score 21 unanswered at that poinmt. I wasnt seein correctly.

That's why when VG blames Gilbride for the 1:19 left lack of running I don't. The Giants had to drive for a FG because OT was not a good option.

There's that.... and in the 4th Q they only moved the chains at all by passing, the Eagles were selling out to stop the run. I'd have been throwing the ball too.

You've all heard of the prevent defense....running into a nine man front while protecting a lead is the prevent offense.