SportsWrath

Two things I still don't get

Sephiroth

1. How for all the talk of "General Tom," "Colonel Coughlin," "The Taskmaster," etc. we still week after week continue to see Giants players hold the ball carelessly. You learn "three points of contact" in Pop Warner, yet Hakeem Nicks, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Mario Manningham continue to hold the football like a loaf of bread (which lead directly to a fumble today, as if we couldn't see that coming). This leads me to believe that either a.) Coughlin is not addressing this, despite all his talk about ball control and turnovers, or b.) he is addressing it, but his players aren't listening and he's not holding them accountable.

2. How Matt Dodge is still on the team. I'm almost thinking about not watching any more Giants games in the regular season unless they cut him this week... seriously, it's that mind-boggling to me. He's the Jay Feeley of punters... can you think of a LESS clutch punter in the league right now? We might be in the playoffs and we're resting our fortunes on THIS guy?

1. How for all the talk of "General Tom," "Colonel Coughlin," "The Taskmaster," etc. we still week after week continue to see Giants players hold the ball carelessly. You learn "three points of contact" in Pop Warner, yet Hakeem Nicks, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Mario Manningham continue to hold the football like a loaf of bread (which lead directly to a fumble today, as if we couldn't see that coming). This leads me to believe that either a.) Coughlin is not addressing this, despite all his talk about ball control and turnovers, or b.) he is addressing it, but his players aren't listening and he's not holding them accountable.

2. How Matt Dodge is still on the team. I'm almost thinking about not watching any more Giants games in the regular season unless they cut him this week... seriously, it's that mind-boggling to me. He's the Jay Feeley of punters... can you think of a LESS clutch punter in the league right now? We might be in the playoffs and we're resting our fortunes on THIS guy?

...And why is he "taking full responsibility for the punt"?

I truly believe we need to move on without TC. Not saying he is a terrible coach, just he isnt "hip" with the game any longer. We have fairly young team that in due time will be very dominate, but your team is only as good as your coach.

There are 10 other guys on the field and a ST coach....... actually the St coach Tom Quinn is where you should be directing your displeasure at. It has been this way all year yet no one not even Coughlin seams to think he should get rid of Quinn. Which giant whiffed on Vick when ran down to the 4 yard line what was that 35 yards? why is he still on the team?

[/b]

There are 10 other guys on the field and a ST coach....... actually the St coach Tom Quinn is where you should be directing your displeasure at. It has been this way all year yet no one not even Coughlin seams to think he should get rid of Quinn. Which giant whiffed on Vick when ran down to the 4 yard line what was that 35 yards? why is he still on the team?

I hear what you're saying, but the "10 other guys and the special teams coach' don't shank a punt that goes directly to the best returner in the NFL.

The "10 other guys and the special teams coach" don't routinely fumble snaps that lead to great field position and points for the other team.

The "10 other guys and the special teams coach" don't take a million years to get a kick off that results in blocked punts.

See what I'm saying? I don't think Quinn is very good but I think Matt Dodge flat-out sucks.

Actually, Dodge has been pretty good the last few weeks and right up until that horrible last kick, was very good today. And do you think punters grow on trees? You figure they could just get on the horn and a better punter will appear in East Rutherford tomorrow? They had some punters in for a look see early when he struggled but not recently. If they thought there was somebody better available, then or now, he'd be gone.

Actually, Dodge has been pretty good the last few weeks and right up until that horrible last kick, was very good today. And do you think punters grow on trees? You figure they could just get on the horn and a better punter will appear in East Rutherford tomorrow? They had some punters in for a look see early when he struggled but not recently. If they thought there was somebody better available, then or now, he'd be gone.

Nas, for one, would be a better option than Dodge....

They don't take years to develop. The only thing they improve on is how to angle punt. You either have it or you don't and Dodge doesn't. Punters are not dynamic so my answer to "do you think they grow on trees" is yes. Any punter who is a smidge better would make a HUGE difference, so there could be a better punter in Jersey tomorrow.

I cant believe there is someone actually defending this worthless schmuck. I just cant wait to see his performance during the 1st playoff game...ugh that's an ugly thought. Lets hope it doesn't come to fruition.

he sucks

Personally, I think its time to bring it down again. And don't just call me pessimist, try to read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome many change, my friend. I want to see it come down.

What the Hell are you smoking? :blink:

I want some.

he sucks

I mean really call us spoiled by Jennings and Feagles...to a lesser extent Landetta. Fuck even that punter who was here before Feagles is a better punter than Dodge....his wind up is atrocious and he lacks game sense/presence. All he had to do was either kick it out of bounds or away from Jackson.... :ranting2:

Good news guys, Duane Reade is handing out free tampons for ya this morning. The Giants are 9-5 and still can make it into the playoffs. Would have loved to have won this game and made the road easier, but when in twenty years have we watched them cruise into the playoffs? At least a dozen teams and a few thousand fans wish they were in our position right now.

I didnt want Dodge to punt it directly to Jackson, but Jackson muffed the punt, and was still able to get up and run thru our Sp teams D with no problem. Why was Deon Grant and others in front of him just galloping down there with no intensity? Why wasnt there people in his face when he caught iot? Its like they just trotted down there, and when he dropped the punt, no one tried to hurry and get it?

And as already stated, why did the friggin D avert their gameplan and let them score 21 unanswered points? :confused:

I didnt want Dodge to punt it directly to Jackson, but Jackson muffed the punt, and was still able to get up and run thru our Sp teams D with no problem. Why was Deon Grant and others in front of him just galloping down there with no intensity? Why wasnt there people in his face when he caught iot? Its like they just trotted down there, and when he dropped the punt, no one tried to hurry and get it?

And as already stated, why did the friggin D avert their gameplan and let them score 21 unanswered points? :confused:

the dog would guess they were coached to stay in their lanes, be more conservative on the way down, and if he has a 20 yard return so be it, just don't give up the big play. going down at full tilt could result in missed tackles and once he cleared the first wave, he would be gone. ironically, it happened anyway. muffed catches tend to result in these kind of returns all the time - it actually worked to his advantage in the dog's opinion. lucky for him. and yes, the vaunted defense couldn't make one stop...that is bad.

I was listening to the game on Sirus....first time I've ever heard Carl B. do color...he is outstanding btw.

As soon as I heard "12 minutes left....all the Giants need to do is beat the Redskins in the season finale and they win the division...it doesn't matter what happens in Green Bay".

ext play.....64 yard Philly TD cause somebody thought taking Tuck off Vick asskicking duty and putting him on a TE that runs like a deer was a good idea.......

...I looked over at Chuck Jr. and said "son.....the Giants are now officially fucked'.

I turned off the radio cause I couldn't listen anymore....turn it back on....tied 31 - 31....putting 2 seconds back on the clock....16 seconds...."All we have to do is punt.....

just a punt.

C. Wagon.

I was listening to the game on Sirus....first time I've ever heard Carl B. do color...he is outstanding btw.

C. Wagon.

Maybe I am biased, but I think Banks is the best analyst working the game right now. I have no idea why one of the TV networks has not picked him up.

Not only does he "get it" but he is able to explain complex aspects of the game really clearly.

Good news guys, Duane Reade is handing out free tampons for ya this morning. The Giants are 9-5 and still can make it into the playoffs. Would have loved to have won this game and made the road easier, but when in twenty years have we watched them cruise into the playoffs? At least a dozen teams and a few thousand fans wish they were in our position right now.

Oddly enough I'm not as "upset" with this loss as I should be.. I was not enraged .. didn't throw stuff.. didn't even curse.. maybe it's the difference between being in your teens/twenties and in your thirties... if there's a bright side to this, it's the Giants learning to NEVER let go till the game is over. Sky isn't falling but you can't tell me this loss didn't hurt more than any loss I could remember.

, it's the Giants learning to NEVER let go till the game is over.

Don't bet on it. The last team to blow a 21 point 4th quarter lead? The NY Giants ( vs Tennessee 2006 ).

I also recall a fairly recent monumental play-off collapse vs SF back in 2002 / 03.

They seem to bless us with one of theese every couple of seasons

Maybe I am biased, but I think Banks is the best analyst working the game right now. I have no idea why one of the TV networks has not picked him up.

Not only does he "get it" but he is able to explain complex aspects of the game really clearly.

Banks should replace Jaws on MNF....that would be an A+ lineup.

Getting back to Dodge....I'm not pinning the loss on this kid, but he has shown, throughout the year, that he is absolutely unpredictable and undependable.

I don't care how bad the snap is....turn your body, and kick it out of bounds.

So, yeah, I pin the last points on him.

But it never, ever should have gotten to that point.

The offense had given the defense a 21 point lead with 8 minutes on the clock. I've never been a big fan of the prevent, but surely, the scheme should have been tweaked to ensure that the Giants kept everyone in front of them.

And the onsides kick was clearly a coaching error.....I assume the special teams coach is responsible for that.

Long story short, the defense and special teams fucked up....and I put way more on the players than on Coughlin.

But fuck it.....beat Green Bay, and none of this shit matters.

Don't bet on it. The last team to blow a 21 point 4th quarter lead? The NY Giants ( vs Tennessee 2006 ).

I also recall a fairly recent monumental play-off collapse vs SF back in 2002 / 03.

They seem to bless us with one of theese every couple of seasons

Exactly. It was fun to watch the 1st half but during halftime I got a bad feeling. Its very rare that the Giants come out strong in the first half against a good team and keep it up through the whole game. The complete collapse of the defense in the 4th quarter was nearly surreal but not at all suprising.

/going to go cry in my coffee