Cower waiting on Giants' HC job

NYG Hampton 27

My link

Jerome Bettis says Bill Cowher waiting on New York Giants head coaching job

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Thursday, January 14th 2010, 6:36 PM

Updated: Thursday, January 14th 2010, 6:48 PM

Bill Cowher wants to be the next head coach of the Giants.

At least, he does according to Jerome Bettis, Cowher's former running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bettis said the reason Cowher hasn't returned to coach is because he's "holding out" for the Giants job to open up. In fact, he told Chris "Mad Dog" Russo Thursday on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio that Cowher would have gotten the Giants' job in 2008 if Tom Coughlin hadn't taken the Giants on that magical, Super Bowl XLII run.

"That's the team that he really coveted," Bettis said. "This is where he always wanted to be. The Mara family, he's been very close to them. … He's known them very well and was on the inside track - before the Giants won the Super Bowl - for that job. And I think he's holding out for that opportunity if it presents itself."

Bettis added that he believes that Cowher "is going to be with the Giants" eventually - possibly as soon as next year.

"He would have definitely gotten the job (after the 2007 season, if the Giants hadn't gone on a run)," Bettis said. "And if Coughlin doesn't get that team back in the right direction next year I think they'll pull the plug."

It's all speculation of course, but it's interesting speculation considering how Giants co-owner John Mara has seemingly put Coughlin on notice after the Giants' miserable 8-8 season. During his angry postseason press conference, Mara said "I'm not pleased with anybody right now" and served notice by adding "I am anxious to hear from both (Coughlin) and Jerry (Reese) what we're going to do to fix this. "

Mara added that neither his coach nor his GM are currently in danger of being fired, but he offered no guarantees for their future, which could be in doubt if the Giants suffer through another down year.

Meanwhile, the 52-year-old Cowher hasn't coached since the end of the 2006 season, when he stepped down after 15 seasons running the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has been mentioned the last few years in connection with nearly every coaching vacancy. Most NFL observers have assumed he's waiting for John Fox to get fired from Carolina so Cowher could take the Panthers job, which would be close to his Raleigh, N.C., home.

But Bettis obviously sees things different. Asked if he thought Cowher was going to sit out until the Giants job open, he said "That's what he's doing. That's where he's got his eyes."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_jerome_bettis_says_bill_cowher_waiting_on_giants_head_coaching_job.html#ixzz0cdbdQtoZ

Coughlin will go out on his own terms. I'm guessing that they'd be more likely to kick him upstairs then kick him down the stairs.

But I'd say next season could be his last....in which case, I'd be happy to see Cowher in there. The Steelers are like the AFC version of the Giants.

Cowher is certainly overrated, but he's still a very good coach. I'd say a B or B+, as opposed to the A he gets from the public. He's sorta like an Andy Reid, in that he gets his team to the playoffs every year and they never seem to give up. The important differences are that he's not a pass happy fool and knows that D and running the ball wins in January. That's what intrigues me. If everything goes down the crapper this year, I think I'd be happy with Cowher as TCs replacement. I didn't think this way pre-2007, but i've sorta come around. I like Fox, but the simple fact is he can't put 2 winning seasons together, so pass. Other than Cowher & Bill B, I can't think of any coach i'd like. Of course, this could all be moot if the D is sick. Then Fewell gets the job.

Cowher is certainly overrated, but he's still a very good coach. I'd say a B or B+, as opposed to the A he gets from the public. He's sorta like an Andy Reid, in that he gets his team to the playoffs every year and they never seem to give up. The important differences are that he's not a pass happy fool and knows that D and running the ball wins in January. That's what intrigues me. If everything goes down the crapper this year, I think I'd be happy with Cowher as TCs replacement. I didn't think this way pre-2007, but i've sorta come around. I like Fox, but the simple fact is he can't put 2 winning seasons together, so pass. Other than Cowher & Bill B, I can't think of any coach i'd like. Of course, this could all be moot if the D is sick. Then Fewell gets the job.

Pretty much agree with this--given a choice between Fox and Cowher, I'll take the spittle-king. With Cowher, you know you're team is going to be in the running, and probably in the playoffs. Fox to me is Fassel pt.2 in that he can't put two decent seasons together.

That being said, I wouldn't fire Coughlin to bring in Cowher. With the exception of this year (and that really on the defense more than anything), no team Coughlin has coached has quit on him. He has provided consistency. And when he has a quality hire as a defensive coordinator, his teams have been potential contenders.

If there is a flaw, it's that he's too dependent on his coordinator to run the defense.

Yep, I can easily see this fanbase loving 15 years for him to get his shit together. Maybe make us good in the first 7, maybe even a SB that we lose and then give him another 8 years to get it really right.

The first half of that story sounds like the Fassel era. I can only imagine what our fanbase would be like if the Chin came in and didn't create instant magic. Please cue Jack right here and let the hatin' begin.

This is the dumbest, piece of shit article ever. First, the only thing the Cowher might like is that we have heritage owners, but TC just won the SB a few years ago and now we treat him like he's got VD. You think Cowher will get that long of a leash if he doesn't pull a Lombardi?

Dumb plan, so let's move on...

My guess is in a couple of year's, we may very well see Spags back here. Not next year, maybe not the next.

Pretty much agree with this--given a choice between Fox and Cowher, I'll take the spittle-king. With Cowher, you know you're team is going to be in the running, and probably in the playoffs. Fox to me is Fassel pt.2 in that he can't put two decent seasons together.

That being said, I wouldn't fire Coughlin to bring in Cowher. With the exception of this year (and that really on the defense more than anything), no team Coughlin has coached has quit on him. He has provided consistency. And when he has a quality hire as a defensive coordinator, his teams have been potential contenders.

If there is a flaw, it's that he's too dependent on his coordinator to run the defense.

Coughlin's an O guy so it makes sense. I am with you though that I am not opposed to Coughlin being the coach until he decides to retire. The Giants have had a great run with Coughlin coaching. This is the first year the Giants missed the playoffs although the constant 1 and dones are not a strong point (other than the SB win). Also for posters who hate on Gilbride he runs a Coughlin system which has been very good for the most part.

Coughlin's an O guy so it makes sense. I am with you though that I am not opposed to Coughlin being the coach until he decides to retire. The Giants have had a great run with Coughlin coaching. This is the first year the Giants missed the playoffs although the constant 1 and dones are not a strong point (other than the SB win). Also for posters who hate on Gilbride he runs a Coughlin system which has been very good for the most part.

Except for last year's early exit, which was caused mostly by the idiot shooting himself, i would say the giants went as far in the playoffs as their talent and health dictated.

I just consulted the Magic 8 Ball.

I asked if Fox would return to Carolina after 2010. Response: "My sources say no".

I then asked if Carolina would hire Cowher. Response: "Signs point to yes".

So I asked if Fox would get hired by the NY Giants. Response: "You may rely on it".

The Magic 8 Ball has spoken.

(Try it yourself, click the 8 Ball image)

8-ball.jpg

Man that is like working in a special unit for the NYPD and then working as a Mall Cop.... :laugh:

I don't know, man......the couple of games I saw were ok, but the stadium was deserted. I lost interest after a couple of games, as did 98% of Vegas. Plus, any of the teams I did see, all had the same colors in different schemes: Seahawks puke teal.

cowher is a much more likeable disciplinarian

much much better strategist than coughlin

much better on the D side

younger

will be a real motivator, and will not have players like Osi walking out

more with it

spags won the SB.....the game has passed coughlin by

he thinks the wildcat is a college football team mascot lol