SportsWrath

Man were things bad....

xxi-xxv

So I clicked on the NFLN the other night and rewatched a game, Big Ben vs ELI from late in the year 2004 one week(6 days actually) after a young ELI had his 0.00 rating day vs the Ravens. Anyway couple of things stuck out to me.

That may have been the day that ELI was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. He was coming off that awful week, facing Big Ben who was undefeated as a starter at that point and was hearing all the crap. He played very well that day(better than Ben in fact) and showed that Eli unflappable demenor that we all now know. One thing, he is such a better QB now, they completely simplified things for him that day and watching him now its like night and day.

Our O line consisted of a man named Winey and Whittle and quite frankly I always like Jason Whittle but he was really not any good, at least as compared to this line.

The overall depth was garbage. Kevin Lewis was the starting MLB, Kendrick Allen and Lance Legree anchored up front, while a man named Hollowell played significant time at LB. All players that on todays team would be lucky to even make the practice squad.

Tim Lewis was awful, just plain awful.

The Wills could not cover or catch a cold.

We've come a long way baby...thats for sure. Thankfully.

So I clicked on the NFLN the other night and rewatched a game, Big Ben vs ELI from late in the year 2004 one week(6 days actually) after a young ELI had his 0.00 rating day vs the Ravens. Anyway couple of things stuck out to me.

That may have been the day that ELI was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. He was coming off that awful week, facing Big Ben who was undefeated as a starter at that point and was hearing all the crap. He played very well that day(better than Ben in fact) and showed that Eli unflappable demenor that we all now know. One thing, he is such a better QB now, they completely simplified things for him that day and watching him now its like night and day.

Our O line consisted of a man named Winey and Whittle and quite frankly I always like Jason Whittle but he was really not any good, at least as compared to this line.

The overall depth was garbage. Kevin Lewis was the starting MLB, Kendrick Allen and Lance Legree anchored up front, while a man named Hollowell played significant time at LB. All players that on todays team would be lucky to even make the practice squad.

I watched the game too and like you was impressed with how well Eli played that day

On the other hand I thought the Wills looked very good, and the Pass rush was horrible.

Everyone jumped on the Wills that year but in retrosect they were exposed too often by a very poor supporting cast, and no Kevin Lewis was not the problem

The Dline was not good at all.....never really bothering Ben.....contrast that to our game last year where he was tossed around like a rag doll

I was at that game. Probably one of the funnest times I have had at a game. My friend came in from Pittsburgh and then we went to the game with a bunch of friends. We brought two cases of Iron City and drank our asses off. I remember blowing out my shoulder throwing the football around before the game. My shoulder has not been the same ever since. The G-Men almost pulled the game out.

I was at that game. Probably one of the funnest times I have had at a game. My friend came in from Pittsburgh and then we went to the game with a bunch of friends. We brought two cases of Iron City and drank our asses off. I remember blowing out my shoulder throwing the football around before the game. My shoulder has not been the same ever since. The G-Men almost pulled the game out.

I was going to say. As bad as things were and the Giants STILL almost won that game.

I watched the game too and like you was impressed with how well Eli played that day

On the other hand I thought the Wills looked very good, and the Pass rush was horrible.

Everyone jumped on the Wills that year but in retrosect they were exposed too often by a very poor supporting cast, and no Kevin Lewis was not the problem

The Dline was not good at all.....never really bothering Ben.....contrast that to our game last year where he was tossed around like a rag doll

People didn't "jump" on the Wills. The Wills were hyped up to be the next great cornerback tandem and they frankly were busts. We all sat there waiting for this great phenomena and it never happened. When they got beat in the air, they couldn't even tackle the guy after the fact. Will Allen had more passes go right through his hands, our poor supporting cast didn't cause any of that.

A few bitter recollections about the game:

The non roughing call on Polamalu when he threw Barber when he was way out of bounds.

The roughing call the Giants were on the wrong side on third or forth down, I forgot which. Pitt didn't punt the whole game right?

Amani's non PI call.

The non roughing call on Polamalu when he threw Barber when he was way out of bounds.

The roughing call the Giants were on the wrong side on third or forth down, I forgot which. Pitt didn't punt the whole game right?

Amani's non PI call.

Thats what I remember most. That was huge. We almost pulled it out.

Amani's non PI call.

Terrible non-call... But Eli had a pretty good game.

Damn.. pass it :spliff:

Yes brother, we've come a long way.

People didn't "jump" on the Wills. The Wills were hyped up to be the next great cornerback tandem and they frankly were busts. We all sat there waiting for this great phenomena and it never happened. When they got beat in the air, they couldn't even tackle the guy after the fact. Will Allen had more passes go right through his hands, our poor supporting cast didn't cause any of that.

in the portion of the game I watched they looked pretty good

how would our present corners look with a poor rush........likely worse than the Wills

a lot of people blamed for the dropped INTs but in the vulnerable position the rush put them in they were probably not looking to jump the pass but were more afraid of letting the WR get by them.....the INTs were an afterthought

I think to make the INTs you have to be thinking more aggressively and jumping the passes

in the portion of the game I watched they looked pretty good

how would our present corners look with a poor rush........likely worse than the Wills

a lot of people blamed for the dropped INTs but in the vulnerable position the rush put them in they were probably not looking to jump the pass but were more afraid of letting the WR get by them.....the INTs were an afterthought

I think to make the INTs you have to be thinking more aggressively and jumping the passes

Simply watching that game you might say they are not that bad. This was also a defense that did not blitz very much, yet they still gave up huge plays in the passing game.

I do not think remembering these two is based on this game, its the collection of the body of work. Both were on that 2002 team that collapsed in San Fran and quite frankly both were not very good. Average at best.

Our current Cb's are SO much better than these two. Moot point.

And BTW Kevin Lewis was garbage, no business starting 16 games at MLB that year but he was the best they had. He was so mediocre that upon his release he had ZERO games played elsewhere until injuries ravaged the 2005 team and they brought him in, wearing #44

Simply watching that game you might say they are not that bad. This was also a defense that did not blitz very much, yet they still gave up huge plays in the passing game.

I do not think remembering these two is based on this game, its the collection of the body of work. Both were on that 2002 team that collapsed in San Fran and quite frankly both were not very good. Average at best.

Our current Cb's are SO much better than these two. Moot point.

And BTW Kevin Lewis was garbage, no business starting 16 games at MLB that year but he was the best they had. He was so mediocre that upon his release he had ZERO games played elsewhere until injuries ravaged the 2005 team and they brought him in, wearing #44

:rolleyes:

kevin lewis stats 2004 on very poor D

2004-05 NY Giants 16 65 26 91 1.0 5

Antonio Pierce stats in 2008

Antonio Pierce accused of neglecting dog

by Brian T. Murray / The Star-Ledger

Thursday February 14, 2008, 7:30 AM

Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce was served with a summons yesterday for animal neglect based on the condition of one of two pitbulls that escaped from his Monroe Township home days be fore the Super Bowl.

The Middlesex County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a quasi-law enforcement group that investigates animal abuse cases, issued the lone municipal court complaint. Walt Mychal chyk, chief of the agency, said the neglect charge carries a fine upon conviction, but he cautioned against any comparison with Michael Vick, the Atlanta Falcons quarterback sentenced to a 23-month prison term after a federal dogfighting conviction.

"This summons is for neglect. There is no pitbull fighting or any of that nonsense here," said My chalchyk. "After the dogs got loose, we found that one was underweight and had a respiratory illness. The other one was fine."

It was Jan. 30 when Monroe Township animal control officer Frank Faraone was notified of two loose dogs and rounded them up. Mychalchyk said it was unclear at the time whom the dogs belonged to, but further investigation determined that they were owned by Pierce and appeared to have escaped a fenced enclosure by pushing open or nosing under a gate.

Faraone took one dog to a local shelter, but notified the SPCA that the second dog appeared underweight. That dog was taken to a veterinarian, who determined that it suffered from a respiratory illness, said Mychalchyk.

"Both dogs are now in a kennel. They are back in his (Pierce's) cus tody, but he has them in a kennel," said Mychalchyk. "I checked on them the other day, and both dogs are doing well. The summons charges that Mr. Pierce failed to provide proper food, water and veterinarian care."

Pierce declined comment yesterday through a Giants spokesman. It was unclear who was charged with watching the dogs while Pierce was in Arizona prepar ing for his team's Super Bowl victory.

Antonio Pierce says he didn't know Plaxico Burress had a gun

BY ALISON GENDAR, KATHLEEN LUCADAMO and LARRY McSHANE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Saturday, December 6th 2008, 1:07 AM

Tracy for News

Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce, who denies knowing Plaxico was carrying, leaves stadium.

Related News

Articles

Giants eager to hit Eagles

Antonio Pierce defies distractions

Ziegel: We'll see what stands behind Antonio's strong front

Giants' offense will come to pass

Reports of Ward at Burress scene are Giant mixup

A "contrite" Antonio Pierce met with cops and prosecutors Friday and told them he had no idea his Giants teammate Plaxico Burress was packing heat at a Manhattan nightclub.

"He almost had a heart attack when the gun went off and he realized what happened," a law enforcement source told the Daily News.

The middle linebacker met with authorities a full week after Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at midtown's Latin Quarter hot spot.

He left Giants Stadium in a Jeep after practice around 1:30 p.m. and spent several hours at the Manhattan district attorney's office.

"It was very productive," the source said. "He was very forthright. He was very contrite. He said he didn't know in advance about the gun."

Pierce, who reportedly drove Burress to New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell and stashed the gun in his black Cadillac Escalade, has been cooperating from the start. He has not been charged with a crime.

Burress is charged with weapons possession - and Mayor Bloomberg said again he belongs behind bars.

"You carry a loaded gun, you go to the slammer for 3-1/2 years," the mayor said.

"I'm not picking on Plaxico," Bloomberg continued. "I don't know if I've even met the guy .... People say he's this, he's that. I'm not picking on him. The law should be the law."

Next week, investigators plan to interview Dr. Josyann Abisaab, who did not - as required by state law - report the incident to police after treating Burress.

The talented but troubled wide receiver checked into the hospital under the alias "Harris Smith."

agendar@nydailynews.com

Yes I see you do not like Antonio Pierce, that still does not mask the fact that Kevin Lewis was nothing more than backup fodder getting too much PT back in 2004.... ;)

Its not Pierce its about winning

Would Bill Bellicheck, Andy Reid, Bill Parcells put up with such mediocre MLBer play?

I don't get all the Pierce support......I want a "Brock Lesner" as my MLBer, not a dancing ankle biter

Its not Pierce its about winning

Would Bill Bellicheck, Andy Reid, Bill Parcells put up with such mediocre MLBer play?

I don't get all the Pierce support......I want a "Brock Lesner" as my MLBer, not a dancing ankle biter

What do you mean you don't get the Peirce support? Has the guy lost a step.. you bet.. we all age. However he's our middle linebacker and he's been solid most of his time in blue... so Philly ran a play where the speedy Westbrook blew past him... and?

What do you mean you don't get the Peirce support? Has the guy lost a step.. you bet.. we all age. However he's our middle linebacker and he's been solid most of his time in blue... so Philly ran a play where the speedy Westbrook blew past him... and?

Im still trying to figure out what Jack meant in his long winded post up there. He posted K Lewis stats, but not AP's. :confused:

Im still trying to figure out what Jack meant in his long winded post up there. He posted K Lewis stats, but not AP's. :confused:

Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles

G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost

2008 New York Giants 15 15 95 72 23 1.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --

2007 New York Giants 16 16 103 77 26 1.0 -- 8 1 28 28.0 28 0 -- --

2006 New York Giants 16 16 137 107 30 1.0 -- 8 1 6 6.0 6 0 -- --

2005 New York Giants 13 13 99 79 20 2.5 0 8 2 41 20.5 24 0 -- --

I guess it has something to do with the fact that Pierce's stats don't reflect his argument. You know, if a dline is weak around the DT, the MLB should be making a large amount of tackles, even if they are beyond the line of scrimmage; but somehow Pierce managed to register more tackles, solo tackles and assists in 15 games in 2008 (his weakest year) than Lewis did in 16. In fact, the only thing Lewis managed to out-perform Pierce in was passes defensed, but NOBODY said that Pierce did well in coverage this past year.

So, obviously, he had to pick something other than stats to make his point.

Oh, and Jack--Brock Lesner washed-out in the NFL. I think I'd rather have an "ankle-biter" than someone that can't make a team.

I think everyone dwells on Westbrook blowing by Peirce when they ask where has he looked bad. thats not the only time he has looked out matched. Whitten has made him look foolish, and he has either been out of position or beatenphysically quite a few times.

As important as he is leadership wise, we can do much, much better from a talent standpoint.

Antonio Pierce is better than Teddy Bruschi????

You gotta love it..........love is blind I guess

Kevin Lewis came off the sofa in December in 2005 to hit a Carolina RB as hard as I've even in that disaster playoff game, where Coughlin got thoroughly schooled by John Fox. Say what you want about Lewis but thats a pancacking I'll never forget.

My big problem with Pierce is not his poor pass D (although it is embarassing).......its the fact he just cannot rattle teeth or go after the QB.....this is where Kawika Mitchell covered Pierce's deficiencies to some extent

he just not a physical specimen or player........I was Ok with Sonny Jurgensen having a beer belly but you just can't have that in a Lber

Hopefully Pierce finally gets cut this summer.....he has virtually no trade value

Uh, yeah. Antonio Pierce basically IS Teddy Bruschi...a little smaller though, and a little faster (believe it or not).

they are both in the 11th hour of their careers but your talking about the Teddy Bruschi the perennial All Pro guy from

the Patriots right? Not some other guy named Teddy or whatever

go get your football head examined

Teddy may not be huge but hes got a knack for being in the right place at the right time

Pierce has a knack for arriving in the right place 10 seconds too late