SportsWrath

What will be different in the NFC East competition this season?

Gspotter

Dallas may be less of a deep threat: closer games. Washington may be more of a juggernaut: been a while. Philly: always seem to have our hands full here. At least our CB's are somewhat experienced by now, though no Sam and no RW anymore.

What do you think will be the two determining factors in this games against our rivals?

It would be too easy to say WR, I expect someone surprising to pop up, like Mario Manningham.

Having Owens out of the conference is a great boon for us. Having Philly finally developing WR talent is not.

I think our insanely deep D rotations will be the determining factor in a lot of games. Keeping a strong pass rush firing for four quarters will break down most OLines.

Having Owens out of the conference is a great boon for us. Having Philly finally developing WR talent is not.

I think our insanely deep D rotations will be the determining factor in a lot of games. Keeping a strong pass rush firing for four quarters will break down most OLines.

Totally agreed. I see Dallas as getting worse and worse, I dont see how they are not in the cellar this yr. Wash always surprises me. they sign big players, seem to have talent at skill positions but never amount to anything. Im thinking the same this yr, but wouldnt be surprised if they contend. Philly worries me a bit. But like you said Tree, our insane D will be what ultimately does the opponents in.

I agree. Relentless pressure up front is the key.

As the WR's develop on the Giants I expect

the team to run and ball control.

Lets hope Nix can contribute early.

Dallas, I am curious to see how Romo does without TO. Roy Williams is just not that good. I see Miles Austin emerging as a go to guy. I like him and is a UFA next year. That offensive line is old. They will have a good defense.

Washington, going to have a nasty defense. Like Dallas, their offensive line is old but no depth at the position. It's going to be very hard to run on this team plus they have an excellent secondary. I just don't trust the QB.

Philadelphia, really shored up that offensive line. They have a lot of depth in the secondary and a good overall defense. What would worry me the most is Westbrook's health. Buckhalter is gone and they wont be able to depend on a rookie running back that much if Westbrook is hobble. And McNabb is McNabb. Still love their team. Going to be a bitch to play.

New York, a very solid offensive line and some good running backs. A lot of depth on the defensive line. Going to be very hard to run and avoid sacks with this rotation. A little worried about the linebackers especially MLB. Plus a secondary that might surprise a few people.

It's going to be a hard division this year with Philadelphia and New York leading the pack.

As always these games will be determined in the trenches. I know everyone likes to think the Giants got cold last year when Plax went down, but it also coincided with a D line that did not get to the Qb as much at the end as they did in the begining. In 8 quarters against the Eagles in 2 losses McNabb was not even touched much, let alone sacked often. That will be the key to the Giants, pass rush, run game, domination up front and a tweaking to a passing offense that must become more reliant on shorter passes and less downfield attacking.

I think the Eagles will be good, I wonder how the defense will be without Dawkins, but they should be ok. A real key will be how healthy Westbrook stays for 16 games.

Dallas should be ok. It will be interesting to see how Romo does with no TO, a WR who has been very beneficial to a mobile Qb who moves in the pocket.

Washington is what they are, big names in key spots, very little depth all around. They could be a good team though as I think Campbell is a good WB that really has something to prove.

Eagles picked up another WR so it appears they are finally correcting the problem that has plagued them for years, mediocre receivers.

Redskins despite having signed Albert Haynesworth, have not improved as dramatically as his salary. That offensive line isn't getting younger.

Cowboys should get better with Roy Williams now becoming the focus and Terrell Owens in Buffalo.

I'm looking forward to the regular collisions of Brandon Jacobs and Albert Haynesworth.

Dallas, I am curious to see how Romo does without TO. Roy Williams is just not that good. I see Miles Austin emerging as a go to guy. I like him and is a UFA next year. That offensive line is old. They will have a good defense.

Washington, going to have a nasty defense. Like Dallas, their offensive line is old but no depth at the position. It's going to be very hard to run on this team plus they have an excellent secondary. I just don't trust the QB.

Philadelphia, really shored up that offensive line. They have a lot of depth in the secondary and a good overall defense. What would worry me the most is Westbrook's health. Buckhalter is gone and they wont be able to depend on a rookie running back that much if Westbrook is hobble. And McNabb is McNabb. Still love their team. Going to be a bitch to play.

New York, a very solid offensive line and some good running backs. A lot of depth on the defensive line. Going to be very hard to run and avoid sacks with this rotation. A little worried about the linebackers especially MLB. Plus a secondary that might surprise a few people.

It's going to be a hard division this year with Philadelphia and New York leading the pack.

Well said. :clap:

Totally agreed. I see Dallas as getting worse and worse, I dont see how they are not in the cellar this yr. Wash always surprises me. they sign big players, seem to have talent at skill positions but never amount to anything. Im thinking the same this yr, but wouldnt be surprised if they contend. Philly worries me a bit. But like you said Tree, our insane D will be what ultimately does the opponents in.

I think Washington will compete as well, they talked about how Jason Campbell will perform knowing hes really not wanted I think he use it has motivation being he is probably playing for another job next year,Washington will be there. Dallas is definently the bottom team I am hearing everyone go they had a bad draft but also they didn't have alot of holes so they had luxury picks anyway, What? not alot of holes,how about a replacement for Canty and Spears, a WR,S,CB just to name a few and they now have two QB's Kitna and McGee that are putting pressure on Romo, which will make him all that much worse. oh yeah they also need help at MLB since losing Kevin Burnett

Here's my spin:

Dallas: I don't care what anybody says, Tony Romo is a good QB. If Butterfingers Crayton catches that pass in the 3rd qtr against us two years ago in the playoffs, we're likely talking about the Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys. Witten, Barber, Jones, Williams, etc. still keeps this team dangerous, and on defense they've still got Terrence Newman and DeMarcus Ware. I see a 10-6 season for 'em, give or take. Bad coaching kills 'em down the stretch, but they'll stay competitive without T.O. being in the locker room.

Philly: The O-line will be the key here. If Peter and Andrews turn out to be legit, they'll be in very good shape. If they play poorly, McNabb is on injured reserve by week 9. Westbrook has lost a step, but their rookie replacement for him should do just fine. Still a tough D, and how the hell has Jim Johnson NOT been a head coaching candidate for the past eight years? Maclin will quickly become a go to guy, and that little jitterbug receiver from last year (forget his name) will be a terror in the slot. Hard for me to predict their record, but if McNabb stays upright I'll give em 11-5.

Redskins: Once again, the Redskins will suffer from poor management. They WAY overpaid for Haynesworth, who (I'm calling it now) shows up fat and outta shape for the regular season. I see him finishing with 6 sacks... Jason Campbell has done nothing to show me he can get it done at the NFL level, and if they didn't have Clinton Portis last year they would have finished 6-10. No receivers to speak of, no O-line... they're in some serious trouble. Good thing for them they already have their QB of the future on the roster... Colt Brennan. The D will be solid, not great. I'll give them 6-10.

Giants: The Giants are more or less solid from top to bottom, but have two glaring weaknesses that could kill them... that being said, I doubt either will. It's amazing that Lawrence Tynes hasn't cost them a game at this point... the guy just flat-out sucks, I don't care about the Green Bay game from two years ago (that game wouldn't have gone to overtime if he didn't miss TWO kicks before he made the winner... the guy was about to be Jay Feely all over again). Kicker looks to once again be a weakness on the team, and we need SOMEBODY to step up at the WR spot and get it done. Hixon, Smith, or Nicks might emerge as that guy, but it looks to be a sore spot for a big chunk of the year. The shameuful thing is that it really shouldn't matter who are WRs are with our line and running game, but Gilbride doesn't seem to realize that and is in love with the pass. I have us finishing 11-5 and possibly winning the division again.

And one last thing... if the Skins overpaid for Haynesworth, then the Giants overpaid for Canty as well. He's not worth more than Justin Tuck, and I can't see him finishing with more than 6 sacks either this year.

I'm counting on Donovan to be spotty this year. He's getting a little older and he's spotty at times. Regrettably, he plays pretty well against us.

My anxiety is our LB's. We don't face a lot of Power Backs in the East, so speed kills and if people use fast WR, like the Eagles now have, they'll stretch deep and hit the shorts against us if we're not careful.

It's the LB's that worry me the most.

Here's my spin:

Dallas: I don't care what anybody says, Tony Romo is a good QB. If Butterfingers Crayton catches that pass in the 3rd qtr against us two years ago in the playoffs, we're likely talking about the Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys. Witten, Barber, Jones, Williams, etc. still keeps this team dangerous, and on defense they've still got Terrence Newman and DeMarcus Ware. I see a 10-6 season for 'em, give or take. Bad coaching kills 'em down the stretch, but they'll stay competitive without T.O. being in the locker room.

Philly: The O-line will be the key here. If Peter and Andrews turn out to be legit, they'll be in very good shape. If they play poorly, McNabb is on injured reserve by week 9. Westbrook has lost a step, but their rookie replacement for him should do just fine. Still a tough D, and how the hell has Jim Johnson NOT been a head coaching candidate for the past eight years? Maclin will quickly become a go to guy, and that little jitterbug receiver from last year (forget his name) will be a terror in the slot. Hard for me to predict their record, but if McNabb stays upright I'll give em 11-5.

Redskins: Once again, the Redskins will suffer from poor management. They WAY overpaid for Haynesworth, who (I'm calling it now) shows up fat and outta shape for the regular season. I see him finishing with 6 sacks... Jason Campbell has done nothing to show me he can get it done at the NFL level, and if they didn't have Clinton Portis last year they would have finished 6-10. No receivers to speak of, no O-line... they're in some serious trouble. Good thing for them they already have their QB of the future on the roster... Colt Brennan. The D will be solid, not great. I'll give them 6-10.

Giants: The Giants are more or less solid from top to bottom, but have two glaring weaknesses that could kill them... that being said, I doubt either will. It's amazing that Lawrence Tynes hasn't cost them a game at this point... the guy just flat-out sucks, I don't care about the Green Bay game from two years ago (that game wouldn't have gone to overtime if he didn't miss TWO kicks before he made the winner... the guy was about to be Jay Feely all over again). Kicker looks to once again be a weakness on the team, and we need SOMEBODY to step up at the WR spot and get it done. Hixon, Smith, or Nicks might emerge as that guy, but it looks to be a sore spot for a big chunk of the year. The shameuful thing is that it really shouldn't matter who are WRs are with our line and running game, but Gilbride doesn't seem to realize that and is in love with the pass. I have us finishing 11-5 and possibly winning the division again.

And one last thing... if the Skins overpaid for Haynesworth, then the Giants overpaid for Canty as well. He's not worth more than Justin Tuck, and I can't see him finishing with more than 6 sacks either this year.

Cantys strengths are not in sacking the QB. He was a DE in a 3/4 which pretty much does what a DT in the 4/3(which is where he will play)and thats tie up blockers to allow more one on one for the OLB(in the Dallas case Ware, here OSI). Cantys strengths at his position come from batted down passes(as good as a sack at times) and playing the run. Also do not look at Cantys money vs Tucks money as year to year they the figures change. If they were both signed the same year then yes, but on a year to year basis obviously the figures will escalate.

I also think we will benefit greatly for losing Dawkins in the Eagles secondary. There's nothing that makes a team weak, like losing a leader. Just look at what losing the pivotal people can do and you can imagine a team that may not play the pressure package quite as well. Also, they may not stay "up" like they used to in the face of adversity.

First I'll say that a lot has to do with the health of key players. The talent level of these teams (particularly Philly, Dallas, and NY) is so close that a couple of key injuries would swing the balance the other way. The Giants are better able to absorb injuries though than any of their division rivals.

Washington: Washington will be tougher on defense this year. They overpaid for Haynesworth, but he's the best DT in football. He will occupy 2 OL just about every game, and be a force against the run. With their draft pick of Orakpo, the Skins' might've gotten the best pass rusher in the draft. Playing on the line with Haynesworth is going to make Orakpo an immediate force to be reckoned with. And don't forget about DT and former Giant Cornelius Griffin, who has been very good for them. They still have a pretty good secondary too, so I think the Skins' defense is going to be very tough, particularly up front which will be key against us in slowing down Jacobs.

On offense, the Skins' will need a big step forward from one or both out of 2nd year WR's Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas. They have to get more dangerous in the pass game and Campbell needs to take a huge step forward. I think we may see Clinton Portis decline a bit this year, perhaps Ladell Betts plays a bigger role, but generally, I see that what will hold the Skins back somewhat this year is their offense. Prediction: 8-8.

Dallas: Dallas has a veteran, large, tough offensive line and a stable of good young running backs in MBIII, Felix Jones, and Tashard Choice. Their receiver corps, I don't think, will miss T.O. I believe the lack of distractions that T.O. brought will make up for his production. The offense that is there can now focus just on doing their jobs. I also feel that Roy Williams and Miles Austin will make up for the loss of T.O. On defense, the Cowboys added DE Igor Olshansky formely with the Chargers. He's a great player and will only help their defense be even more of a pain to deal with. They have players in their front seven that are very talented, and a couple of them have shined, albeit in Demarcus Ware's shadow. Bradie James and Jay Ratliff were monsters last year, and they are underrated players on that defense.

Where Dallas may be a little more susceptible on their team is in the secondary. 2nd year CB Mike Jenkins will be tested, as he takes on the starting spot of traded Anthony Henry. Newman is also overrated, and they will have a rookie, Louis Delmas, competing for a starting safety spot with Gerald Sensabaugh.

I suspect that Dallas will compete near the top of the division but will lose a couple of key close games because of their bumbling coaches. Prediction: 10-6.

Philadelphia: With the drafting of Jeremy Maclin and the presence of DeSean Jackson, Ross and Webster better keep their hamstrings loose. I do not envy corners having to chase those two around the field. Buckhalter is gone, but watch out for newly drafted LeSean McCoy. He has the makings of an impact rookie, along with Maclin. They got another skill position rookie that I think can be a big problem for opposing defenses... that being Cornelius Ingraham, the rooie TE from the University of Florida. With Brent Celek already a threat, two TE sets could be tough. I like what Philly is doing with their offensive skill positions, but I am not sold on Stacy Andrews and newly acquired Jason Peters being an upgrade over longtime stalwarts Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas. They might be younger, but Runyan and Thomas were the best tackles in Philly history, and they were dominant last year. It's a tall task for them to fill those shoes, no matter what anyone says. And although it's been said before, Peters led the entire NFL in sacks allowed in only 13 starts. I think this offensive line might be exploited on passing downs by teams with good front sevens, like the Giants have.

On defense, I'm also not sold on their starting linebackers, Stewart Bradley Chris Gocong, and Akeem Jordan. They do have a couple of good corners in Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs (or Sheldon Brown, should he stay), but their safeties don't scare anyone and only half of their D-Line is noteworthy (Bunkley and Cole). Still, the Eagles have one of the best DC's in the league in Jim Johnson and they can make this work. They can challenge for the division, but a 10-6 season is more likely.

The Giants: They are stacked everywhere, but they may be a little thin on OL depth, so health there is key. The player that most people aren't talking about that should have a big year is Ahmad Bradshaw. Watch Bradshaw become Westbrook-lite, and he is the guy that I think might make this offense really dangerous, as a pass-catcher out of the backfield and general threat on 3rd downs. With our new defensive line, and Phillips getting better in year 2, this defense will be scary. But pressure will be on Bill Sheridan. Already he has said that the schemes will be simpler than last year. I think Sheridan needs to keep an aggressive defense and do the things that made Spags so successful. If he tries to do a bunch of read-and react, they won't realize their full potential out of this talent-laden group.

I predict a 14-2 season from the Giants, being so dominating on defense and with the rushing game.

Its because I think Roy Williams is a much better receiver than what his production would indicate from his past season with the Cowboys.

I am inclined to agree with this. But I do think the Cowboys problem is not about talent, it's about coaching and management. Same with the Skins.

So I think it's a 2 horse race- one horse being a Philly.

It's all up to Eli Manning

If he returns to form we win the division, possibly the SB........on the other hand if he regresses, or continues to play as he did the last 5 games of last year

we are toast

another factor is MLBer.....when we had Mitchell and the Awesome Foursome of the SB year Pierce's weaknesses were covered up. Last year the other teams, especially Philly picked us apart with that old slow guy prowling the middle

Putting Blackburn at MLBer would solve the problem, he's not Brian Urlacher but hes a darn good and hard hitting player who pushes the RB into the turf, and can drop into coverage, but the Giants are nothing if not stubborn....I predict

Pierce will play one more yr at MLBer and we will suffer tremendously for that decision

If Eli sputters and Pierce returns and we have no Carney your possibly looking at 10-6 0r 9-5

If the opposite is true we might see 14-2, 13-3

I don't believe the other NFC East teams can beat us......but we can beat ourselves

If he returns to form we win the division, possibly the SB........on the other hand if he regresses, or continues to play as he did the last 5 games of last year

we are toast

another factor is MLBer.....when we had Mitchell and the awesome Foursome of the SB year Pierce's weaknesses were covered up. Last year the other teams, especially Philly picked us apart with that old slow guy prowling the middle

Putting Blackburn at MLBer would solve the problem, he's not Brian Urlacher but hes a darn good and hard hitting player who pushes the RB into the turf, and can drop into coverage, but the Giants are nothing if not stubborn....I predict

Pierce will play one more yr at MLBer and we will suffer tremendously for that decision

If Eli sputters and Pierce returns and we have no Carney your possibly looking at 10-6 0r 9-5

If the opposite is true we might see 14-2-, 13-3

I don't believe the other NFC East teams can beat us......but we can beat ourselves

Yeah thats what it is Jack, the Giants are just to stubborn to put a special teams player in at starting LB :rolleyes:

Do you even think before you type?

Yeah thats what it is Jack, the Giants are just to stubborn to put a special teams player in at starting LB :rolleyes:

Do you even think before you type?

No I'm all for geriatric fat men in the middle.....give me a break

I think all the time......from what I've seen of your posts all kidding aside you must have fallen off a house head first as a child

Blackburn played one game at MLBer last year against San Fran and he dominated one of the best RBs in the league- Frank Gore, holding him to 9 yds total in about 24 carries

go watch that 12 man football and swig a Molson's will ya.....you don't comprehend American football

and I havent a clue why you need 12 guys and a 50 yd wide field so we're even

we are toast

another factor is MLBer.....when we had Mitchell and the Awesome Foursome of the SB year Pierce's weaknesses were covered up. Last year the other teams, especially Philly picked us apart with that old slow guy prowling the middle

If the opposite is true we might see 14-2, 13-3

Although I agree to some extent that Pierce had a down year the coaches feel he played very well last year, including quotes from his position coach and now DC Bill Sheridan. Do not discount Pierces ability to be the Qb of the defense and make the calls.

I think what the Giants effectively did this off season was get a true cover WLB in Boley who will help Pierce in coverage and maybe allow him to roam a bit more knowing that he has a WILL that can cover. Ironically one of the guys who played WILL last year who was unable to stay on the field for all 3 downs was your guy Blackburn.

No I'm all for geriatric fat men in the middle.....give me a break

I think all the time......from what I've seen of your posts all kidding aside you must have fallen off a house head first as a child

Blackburn played one game at MLBer last year against San Fran and he dominated one of the best RBs in the league- Frank Gore, holding him to 9 yds total in about 24 carries

go watch that 12 man football and swig a Molson's will ya.....you don't comprehend American football

and I havent a clue why you need 12 guys and a 50 yd wide field so we're even

:rolleyes:

Insults the refuge of the idiotic.

Anyways Jack let me just ask you this, do you honestly in your opinion in your mind believe that the Giants arnt starting Blackburn because they are stubborn? The Giants who are in a win now position arnt starting a player that you swear by is basically the second coming of Mike Singletary isnt starting over Pierce and you think thats because the Giants are "stubborn" You honestly think that if Blackburn was better then Pierce the Giants would have no problem starting him? The team that let go of players like Tiki/Shockey and replaced them with no problem, would have a problem with replacing Pierce?

Come on Jack even I know you have to think atleast once in awhile.

P.S. Frank Gore isnt the best back in the league infact he had six games he couldnt even break 70 yards...but yet I'm sure you'll tell me it was because of his O-line but when it was Blackburn it was because of Blackburn :LMAO: