SportsWrath

What will be different in the NFC East competition this season?

Gspotter

Although I agree to some extent that Pierce had a down year the coaches feel he played very well last year, including quotes from his position coach and now DC Bill Sheridan. Do not discount Pierces ability to be the Qb of the defense and make the calls.

I think what the Giants effectively did this off season was get a true cover WLB in Boley who will help Pierce in coverage and maybe allow him to roam a bit more knowing that he has a WILL that can cover. Ironically one of the guys who played WILL last year who was unable to stay on the field for all 3 downs was your guy Blackburn.

agreed Blackburn is not a WIL....hes a MLBer period

as for Sheridan. After his quotes this morning about not being a rah rah like Spags and spending the season up in the booth this guy is firmly in my doghouse and he has not coached a down

sure he likes Pierce......it all goes together

having said that Blackburn was extremely impressive running the D against the 49ers......even I could not believe how advanced he was as a leader and D QB

agreed Blackburn is not a WIL....hes a MLBer period

as for Sheridan After his quotes this morning about not being a rah rah like Spags and spending the season up in the booth this guy is firmly in my doghouse and .he has not coached a down

sure he likes Pierce......it all goes together

having said that Blackburn was extremely impressive running the D against the 49ers......even I could not believe how advanced he was as a leader and D QB

Like he gives a fuck if he is in YOUR "doghouse."

Who cares if he isn't a rah rah guy, that is the last thing I am worrying about.

Who cares if he isn't a rah rah guy, that is the last thing I am worrying about.

No see Jack is still under the impression that he thinks he knows more about football then the people who actually coach the team.

I never did read where he said he was not "rah rah" I read that he said he was going to have some different things in the defense, but also where he said Spags defense was something that worked for them so they will not change too much.

IMO the real rah rah guy is Mike Waufle anyway....Ever see him on the sidelines in the sb XLII video? He was as fired up as anyone on that sideline.

I never did read where he said he was not "rah rah" I read that he said he was going to have some different things in the defense, but also where he said Spags defense was something that worked for them so they will not change too much.

IMO the real rah rah guy is Mike Waufle anyway....Ever see him on the sidelines in the sb XLII video? He was as fired up as anyone on that sideline.

I met Waufle when the Gints came to AZ. He's one hell of a cool dude.

No see Jack is still under the impression that he thinks he knows more about football then the people who actually coach the team.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that.

Jack seems like the type of guy who sends in written letters to the Giants front office

offering his suggestions on who to draft and who to hire. I'd have love to see him during

the 2004 off-season when the Giants hired Coughlin. Guy probably pulled a Dufresne. (writing

3 letters a week though!!!)

Yeah, I keep forgetting that.

Jack seems like the type of guy who sends in written letters to the Giants front office

offering his suggestions on who to draft and who to hire. I'd have love to see him during

the 2004 off-season when the Giants hired Coughlin. Guy probably pulled a Dufresne. (writing

3 letters a week though!!!)

They stopped reading Jack's mail in the Jesse Palmer era.

No I'm all for geriatric fat men in the middle.....give me a break

I think all the time......from what I've seen of your posts all kidding aside you must have fallen off a house head first as a child

Blackburn played one game at MLBer last year against San Fran and he dominated one of the best RBs in the league- Frank Gore, holding him to 9 yds total in about 24 carries

go watch that 12 man football and swig a Molson's will ya.....you don't comprehend American football

and I havent a clue why you need 12 guys and a 50 yd wide field so we're even

Yup, all by himself. In fact, if you'll recall, whenever Gore came into the game, the other 11 players exited the field, Chase had it covered. :rolleyes:

Although I agree to some extent that Pierce had a down year the coaches feel he played very well last year, including quotes from his position coach and now DC Bill Sheridan. Do not discount Pierces ability to be the Qb of the defense and make the calls.

I think what the Giants effectively did this off season was get a true cover WLB in Boley who will help Pierce in coverage and maybe allow him to roam a bit more knowing that he has a WILL that can cover. Ironically one of the guys who played WILL last year who was unable to stay on the field for all 3 downs was your guy Blackburn.

blackburn is a big guy

a truck

try picturing pierce at WIL

that would be a gas laugh......hes no truck but hes extremely slow and unathletic

you need a pass defender at WIL on 3rd down

i agree u need a good playcaller at mlb but chase has shown that..........pierce on the otherhand is an athletic liability not to mention taking our best wr to ny with a gun on a joy ride.........real captain like stuff

:rolleyes:

Insults the refuge of the idiotic.

Anyways Jack let me just ask you this, do you honestly in your opinion in your mind believe that the Giants arnt starting Blackburn because they are stubborn? The Giants who are in a win now position arnt starting a player that you swear by is basically the second coming of Mike Singletary isnt starting over Pierce and you think thats because the Giants are "stubborn" You honestly think that if Blackburn was better then Pierce the Giants would have no problem starting him? The team that let go of players like Tiki/Shockey and replaced them with no problem, would have a problem with replacing Pierce?

Come on Jack even I know you have to think atleast once in awhile.

P.S. Frank Gore isnt the best back in the league infact he had six games he couldnt even break 70 yards...but yet I'm sure you'll tell me it was because of his O-line but when it was Blackburn it was because of Blackburn :LMAO:

its the overpaid free agent thing........that and the fact pierce is calling plays

as an athlete hes horrible

i think we should send him to philly and let him chauffer their new WRs and OT around

blackburn is a big guy

a truck

that would be a gas laugh......hes no truck but hes extremely slow and unathletic

i agree u need a good playcaller at mlb but chase has shown that..........pierce on the otherhand is an athletic liability not to mention taking our best wr to ny with a gun on a joy ride.........real captain like stuff

Why am I taking all this Pierce bashing so personally? :P

blackburn is a big guy

a truck

ummm we now have a pass defender at WILL now, his name is Michael Boley, one of the more athletic cover lbers in the league, hence why his abilities to do so will make it easier on the MLB and allow that player(no matter who it is) to be less reliant on covering backs and TE's out of the backfield.

ummm we now have a pass defender at WILL now, his name is Michael Boley, one of the more athletic cover lbers in the league, hence why his abilities to do so will make it easier on the MLB and allow that player(no matter who it is) to be less reliant on covering backs and TE's out of the backfield.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of pasting remedies for Pierce all around him, and making excuses for him because he "calls the plays".

how bout get rid of him and get a hard hitting MLBer who can nail someone in the backfield (and call plays)

When I see an Urlacher or Brian Cushing play.......or even Bradley down in Philly I wonder what our coaching staff is doing, what are they thinking.......are they thinking?

what do they see out there that eludes me. I see a fat old guy running around out there waving his arms and arriving at the pile 2 seconds after the offensive play is dead......often piling on though he constantly gets away with that for some reason

he's the Teflon Don...even with the Refs

The NY Giants were once Linebacker U in the NFL.......It would be nice to see some of that come back again

Pierce is fat, slow, and apparently lacks judgement off the field. The Burress incident was a joke. Burress goes to jail but his partner in crime keeps his starting job?

Also Manning better come in this year slingin the football......he regressed horribly last year in the last 4-5 games and don't tell me it was because of the receivers......his passes were often no where near those poor guys

Its because I think Roy Williams is a much better receiver than what his production would indicate from his past season with the Cowboys.

That's probably true, but he's not going to fill the production hole that Owens left.

That's probably true, but he's not going to fill the production hole that Owens left.

True, Tree, but there'll be less pressure on Romo to focus on one player because that player is constantly in your ear. Without T.O., Romo doesn't have that extra burden of trying to force it to T.O., and can spread the ball around to Williams, Witten, Austin, and Crayton. It will be Williams plus a couple of receivers that replaces T.O.'s production, but they will do it more efficiently, more than likely.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of pasting remedies for Pierce all around him, and making excuses for him because he "calls the plays".

how bout get rid of him and get a hard hitting MLBer who can nail someone in the backfield (and call plays)

When I see an Urlacher or Brian Cushing play.......or even Bradley down in Philly I wonder what our coaching staff is doing, what are they thinking.......are they thinking?

what do they see out there that eludes me. I see a fat old guy running around out there waving his arms and arriving at the pile 2 seconds after the offensive play is dead......often piling on though he constantly gets away with that for some reason

The NY Giants were once Linebacker U in the NFL.......It would be nice to see some of that come back again

Pierce is fat, slow, and apparently lacks judgement off the field. The Burress incident was a joke. Burress goes to jail but his partner in crime keeps his starting job?

Also Manning better come in this year slingin the football......he regressed horribly last year in the last 4-5 games and don't tell me it was because of the receivers......his passes were often no where near those poor guys

agreed many of Mannings passes that were dropped were in the fingertips as opposed to the palms...remember that Hixon drop? Damn it Manning stop hitting their fingertips!

He definitely isn't the only one.

Well, I feel like the Giants defense responded so well to Spagnuolo because he matched their intensity. How does someone get any kind of feel for the game, the players on the field, the atmosphere on the field, etc by sitting in a press box? Is Sheridan old as balls? Because that's the only reason why a coach shouldn't be on the field...he's got assistants that can sit in a box and look at defensive formations from above.

Also, our linebackers certainly could not cover anyone man to man LAST year...why limit zone coverages....especially when we've been using lots of zone blitzes lately...it's good to drop back in coverage every now and then.

While I agree you can never have enough pass rushers, at what point do we start teaching linebackers...you know, the linebacker position...? All the young guys we draft get put into Justin Tuck and Matthias Kiwanuka situations where they only see the field on 3rd down 4 or 5 times a game...and don't get me wrong because Tuck and Kiwanuka have obviously turned into good players, it's just that I'd like to see us focus someone to take over at linebacker, not just play 3rd down because he can rush the passer.

Why would we streamline anything? We've had two of the best defensive units in the NFL under Spagnuolo...

Oh, and Antonio Pierce sucks.

Urlacher or....CUSHING?? When have you seen Cushing play in the NFL?? :huh: And Urlacher, and Bradley, when have you seen them win a SUPERBOWL? Sure, we'll get right on Pierce to start emulating them, cause we sure wouldnt want Antonio to do anything like take 2 defenders with him en route to tackling the ball carrier on his way to a SB championship. :rolleyes:

And, please take note to our league leading rush attack. Then maybe you will understand why Eli doesnt throw as much.

One of the key elements to spags defense is blitzing and I think a lot of times certain guys get left out on "an island" so to speak and they sometimes get burned in coverage, particularly when they would send the safeties and it was the MLB or WLB responsibility to get that TE or RB out of the backfield. I am in no way making exuses for Pierce, he had a down year and has never been a great cover LB, but I think most Lbers might not look as good with that type defense in coverage.

Although I am not a huge Pierce fan, I think he does a lot of yapping(although he has been very quiet this off season which IMO is a very good thing)I think we can get by with him. The transition will begin soon away from Pierce as the starting MLB though. I am not sure though that Blackburn is that guy. I think the coaches like Goff and kehl more as starters long term.

he's not the greatest linebacker by any means but we can still win with him