SportsWrath

ARod a Steroid Abuser

mickeef2

I don't know if I'd say he's completely fessed up. His makeup does look very pretty in the interview with Gammons, though.

Regardless if he is a saint or not with what he said. He said a lot more than any other superstar player i can think of.

Not trying to stoke the fires here, but I can't give him too much credit for what he said today. A Rod, like basically everybody else who has been caught, admitted to what he had to admit to. Since nobody had any physical evidence on Bonds, he could always deny it and nobody could prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. With Clemens, again, it was a shady character's word vs. his, so he felt like he at least had a little wiggle room (until the guy came up with a beer can full of dirty syringes). I guess you could maybe say Giambi was the most forthcoming, but even he didn't really admit to doing anything specific. With A Rod, though, they've got his name on a positive test result administered by MLB. That's the smoking gun if ever there was one. He's only admitting to something that everyone already knows is true. He didn't admit this last year, he admitted it today, after he'd been confronted with the information and had two days to work out a statement with his people.

What I really like is how he claims he did it because he felt a lot of pressure after signing with the Rangers. Think he's felt any pressure to perform in the last 5 years with the Yankees? Wonder how he dealt with it.

The guy could cure AIDS and cancer and you will still hate him. In political terms, by what he did today, he swayed the independent voters his way and riled up his base. People like you will always hate him. People like me, who like him a lot, feel a lot better about him today. The casual fan is also very happy that a superstar finally confessed and told a believable version of the truth, instead of denying it. Let me point out, he did not have to admit to the other 2 years, but he did. He admitted to a lot more than he needed to.

If he failed multiple times under their new testing policies shouldn't something have come out yet? Since his name was the first leaked, wouldn't everyone be in a rush to leak a much more recent failed test of his?

There are many things, including HGH, that are undetectable under the current guidelines. Anybody with half a brain is not taking steroids anymore.

Oh and someone fix the title of the thread.

He's hardly a 'roid abuser. The guy from all accounts did it once in 2003.

That's hardly abusing it, that's called trying it.

Dude, where have you been? He admitted today that he was dong it for three years. Again, that's what he admitted.

im not that impressed with him admitting it. sure im relieved that we won't have ANOTHER superstar/steroids denial story ala bonds/clemens dominating baseball news for a couple of years, but all he did the other day was show that he's learned from other people's mistakes

If you adjust for the fact that Texas is a hitters paradise, A-Rods stats on steroids ( of course assuming that he used for only those 3 years) are not that much different than his career norm. It is extremely hard to say that A-Rod owes his success to steroids and should not make the hall... At the end of his career if you take 150 HR's off his resume, he will probably still be HOF worthy. I think this is actually going to HELP A-Rod pressure wise- he reportedly knew about this failed test since it occurred, and it was probably hovering over him all this time (imagine getting that off your chest). Is A-Rod truly sorry? Probably not, he's sorry he got caught. It still takes a lot of guts to admit it and this will help him in the end.

heh, all it shows me is that he's done them his whole career.

Even with the testing the past few years, which includes one of his two legitimate MVPs? Even when he was a skinny little kid in his years in Seattle? His present physique looks like a pretty natural progression from his younger days.

Even with the testing the past few years, which includes one of his two legitimate MVPs? Even when he was a skinny little kid in his years in Seattle? His present physique looks like a pretty natural progression from his younger days.

well for one thing he could be using HGH which is undetectable. also, from what i've noticed it's kidn of hard to see the obvious physical differences on a naturally lean tall guy like palmeiro, kevin brown, and (though he isn't proven i think he 100% juiced) randy johnson.

i think plow said it earlier and i agree, anyone who has ridiculous power stats is probably doing something illegitimate. there is very little doubt in my mind that pujols (the quad injury he had), ortiz (cut from the twins, heart palpitations), piazza (groin injury), todd helton (ridiculously huge fall off in power numbers), andruw jones, albert belle, adrian beltre (in his cotnract year), and a bunch of others have used PEDs at some point in their careers.

but at the same time, i really don't care. maybe it's because im 27 and got into baesball in the early 90's when this stuff was going on but to me this is just how the game has changed. it's still fun to watch, i still order the package every year, i still have 3 fantasy teams, and if anyone was nerdy enough to still play stratomatic baseball w/ me i'd be doing that too. i can't get outraged about albert pujols single handedly knocking my padres out of the playoffs a few years ago when i had ken caminiti on a pennant winning taem in '98. i just think it's so widespread at this point that no team is innocent and in some weird perverse way the playing field is just as level

Oh and someone fix the title of the thread.

He's hardly a 'roid abuser. The guy from all accounts did it once in 2003.

That's hardly abusing it, that's called trying it.

2001-2003 he's admitted to....but his production hasn't dropped off....hmm.....

What's A-Roid say to Mattingly on his way to the HOF? "you missed out on some experiementation...or you'd be in too" ----- ? -- Pete Rose admitted doing wrong too - can he get in the HOF now too?

if it were up to me, anyone who had the numbers would get in. baseball has always been a game of cheaters. to all of a sudden be self righteous about it, is pure hypocrisy.

if it were up to me, anyone who had the numbers would get in. baseball has always been a game of cheaters. to all of a sudden be self righteous about it, is pure hypocrisy.

All the old time guys who are in the HOF took amphetamines. That stuff has been running wild in baseball since the 60's. Mays, mantle and all those guys did it. All of a sudden now we make a big deal about it. Just let them all in, f it. Maybe now we should make the number a little higher, say 550 homers instead of 500 to accommodate the higher home run totals.

And you are right, whatever edge you can get in baseball you take. Whether it's using pine tar, vaseline on your hat for pitching, stealing signs, whatever. Cheating has always been in baseball.

All the old time guys who are in the HOF took amphetamines. That stuff has been running wild in baseball since the 60's. Mays, mantle and all those guys did it. All of a sudden now we make a big deal about it. Just let them all in, f it. Maybe now we should make the number a little higher, say 550 homers instead of 500 to accommodate the higher home run totals.

And you are right, whatever edge you can get in baseball you take. Whether it's using pine tar, vaseline on your hat for pitching, stealing signs, whatever. Cheating has always been in baseball.

it's the smug baseball writers who probably never ran to first base in their lives that revel in the little modicum of power they hold over players. They think it gets them even for being snubbed in the locker room.

Can we crucify Selig now? Douche bag knew of all this and let it ride. Let me back A-roid for a second and remind you of the Texas team he came from. One that swam in roids. If I felt I needed an edge just to keep pace with the players on my club I too would juice up. Think of the pressure he had with that contract. Is he supposed to be squeeky clean while bench players are putting up more insane numbers? I dont like the fact he did it, but I dont blame him for it. I also wont be surprised when Texiera's name get mentioned too.

I'm curious as to why he won't answer the question of what he took. He obviously knows what he was taking, but he is using the "I don't know" route. Pretty weak. Just come clean. I will have more respect for him if he would just say what he was using.

The fact that he won't say leads me to believe that he may have used HGH. I would not want to say that I used HGH because then people would say that he could be still using it and nobody would know. Obviously, the positive tests were for something different. But if A-Rod says that he was using steroid A and that's it, then later it is discovered that he did use steroid A but he's also used HGH, he will look even worse than he does right now, and nobody will believe any statement he gives of contrition.

By continuing to be vague about what exactly he put into his body when questioned, in my mind he continues to keep a cloud of suspicion over him, and there are still unanswered questions that must be accounted for if he truly wishes to remove all skepticism from his career even going forward.

I say this as a baseball fan, not as a Met fan, or Yankee hater. I would say the same thing if this story broke about David Wright.

It will never happen, but I wish A-Rod would voluntarily submit to random HGH testing for the remainder of his career to lead the way and truly show that he is serious about his contrition.