Say we have a great offseason

osi724dasack

say we get Dansby, Gonzalez

say we get Plax back

we would have 4 all pro players added to our roster

2 on d and 2 on O

Dansby and Osi

Plax and Gonzo

plus 4 first day picks (2offense, 2defense)

that would be sex rite there

Plax isn't an all pro Osi.

Yep. He's a good player, but Boss has done well and Gonzalez won't upgrade us enough to make up for the cap hit we would take by acquiring him.

Would he come by trade? If so, we'd only have to absorb his salary; the bonuses already paid by the Chiefs that are usually pro-rated over the life of the contract are accelerated to the Chief's '09 cap when the player is traded away (the team trading the player away takes the cap hit). If Gonzo's contract was heavy on the signing bonus he might not be that expensive at all.

Once again, this is another player could be useful depending entirely on what he costs. How expensive could he be, the guy is pushing 35. I'd try to get him on the cheap, low ball him with the opportunity to win a championship.

Would he come by trade? If so, we'd only have to absorb his salary; the bonuses already paid by the Chiefs that are usually pro-rated over the life of the contract are accelerated to the Chief's '09 cap when the player is traded away (the team trading the player away takes the cap hit). If Gonzo's contract was heavy on the signing bonus he might not be that expensive at all.

Once again, this is another player could be useful depending entirely on what he costs. How expensive could he be, the guy is pushing 35. I'd try to get him on the cheap, low ball him with the opportunity to win a championship.

We'd still be acquiring his salary that would affect our cap, right? And based on that criterion he is the highest paid TE in the NFL, at over $4 million per season.

say we get Dansby, Gonzalez

say we get Plax back

we would have 4 all pro players added to our roster

2 on d and 2 on O

Dansby and Osi

Plax and Gonzo

plus 4 first day picks (2offense, 2defense)

that would be sex rite there

no that would put us about 30 million over the salary cap

There's only one player I want the Giants to sign.... Albert Hanyesworth. :drool: Good luck double teaming Tuck, Robbins, Osi and Albert.

If this was the uncapped year and the Giants weren't tight wads then :drool: . Albert is going to get paid big in FA.

Yes, it definitely would

Plax and Osi are currently under contract and last time I checked we have 11 million or so in cap room. Signing one old TE and one stud linebacker definitely fits within 11 million cap space(which is before contracts are restructured anyway).

Point is, we'd be nowhere near being over 30 million over the cap. You've never seen the Cowboys and Redskins be 5 miillion under and then sign 7 star quality players in one offseason? They manage to do it every year and avoid salary cap hell. It's all about structuring the bonuses and letting players go when they are no longer earning their potential salary.

Plax and Osi are currently under contract and last time I checked we have 11 million or so in cap room. Signing one old TE and one stud linebacker definitely fits within 11 million cap space(which is before contracts are restructured anyway).

Point is, we'd be nowhere near being over 30 million over the cap. You've never seen the Cowboys and Redskins be 5 miillion under and then sign 7 star quality players in one offseason? They manage to do it every year and avoid salary cap hell. It's all about structuring the bonuses and letting players go when they are no longer earning their potential salary.

You are not signing Gonzalez you are getting his contract he already has.

You are not signing Gonzalez you are getting his contract he already has.

I meant signing as in him moving from there to here...but I would have to assume that if Gonzalez' contract is heavy towards the cap this season, they'd restructure his contract as soon as he walked through the door.

We also have to sign our draft picks and any other free agents we might be looking into and re-sign Eli. I don't think the way to structure a team under the cap is to invest in the priciest TE. I think we should focus on our areas of need, which are WR and linebacker, and go for depth from there, because we have a lot of players whose contracts are up after next season.

Players slated to be free agents after 2009 season:

Kevin Boothe

Chase Blackburn

Danny Clark

Jeremy Clark

Reuben Droughns

Jeff Feagles

Derek Hagan (he is under contract for 2009)

Travonti Johnson

Sam Madison

Eli Manning

Michael Matthews

Edmond Miles

Martrez Milner

Sinorice Moss :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fred Robbins

Steve Smith

Guy Whimper

Gerris Wilkinson

I know several of those players are just spare parts that might not even make the team this coming season, but we do need to worry about re-signing Eli, replacing Fred Robbins, decide what to do with Steve Smith, worry about guard, tackle and linebacker depth, and see what Feagles wants to do.

So from a draft perspective I think I am going to try and find me a replacement for Robbins, a WR, a mid-round LBer and corner, a tackle, and a guard.