SportsWrath

Say we have a great offseason

osi724dasack

Plax and Osi are currently under contract and last time I checked we have 11 million or so in cap room. Signing one old TE and one stud linebacker definitely fits within 11 million cap space(which is before contracts are restructured anyway).

Point is, we'd be nowhere near being over 30 million over the cap. You've never seen the Cowboys and Redskins be 5 miillion under and then sign 7 star quality players in one offseason? They manage to do it every year and avoid salary cap hell. It's all about structuring the bonuses and letting players go when they are no longer earning their potential salary.

and they have how many Superbowls in the last 10 years?

I don't know what his salary will be in 2009, but in '07 and '08 his base salary was only $1 million.

What's your source?

Rotoworld says this: Tony Gonzalez contract: 1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million guaranteed. 2009: $4 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.75 million, 2012: Free Agent

Exactly. If the Cowboys and Redskins have taught the rest of us anything it is that you don't win championships by buying as many "stars" as you can. We did it by drafting well and acquiring solid pieces that fit well in our system but were not necessarily considered stars, like Kawika Mitchell. I think when you go out and spend a lot on a "star", you have to make sure that they are going to fit well and will definitely improve your team. Dansby is that kind of player, IMO. A 33 year old TE who is the highest paid at his position, when we already have pretty good TE's, is not.

We can sign Dansby, re-sign Jacobs, and draft well and we have a phenomenal TEAM going into 2009.

There's only one player I want the Giants to sign.... Albert Hanyesworth. :drool: Good luck double teaming Tuck, Robbins, Osi and Albert.

Yeah that would be awesome! PLUS we'd get to watch him bitch-stomp Andre Gurode's head TWICE a year!

We also have to sign our draft picks and any other free agents we might be looking into and re-sign Eli. I don't think the way to structure a team under the cap is to invest in the priciest TE. I think we should focus on our areas of need, which are WR and linebacker, and go for depth from there, because we have a lot of players whose contracts are up after next season.

Players slated to be free agents after 2009 season:

Kevin Boothe

Chase Blackburn

Danny Clark

Jeremy Clark

Reuben Droughns

Jeff Feagles

Derek Hagan (he is under contract for 2009)

Travonti Johnson

Sam Madison

Eli Manning

Michael Matthews

Edmond Miles

Martrez Milner

Sinorice Moss :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fred Robbins

Steve Smith

Guy Whimper

Gerris Wilkinson

I know several of those players are just spare parts that might not even make the team this coming season, but we do need to worry about re-signing Eli, replacing Fred Robbins, decide what to do with Steve Smith, worry about guard, tackle and linebacker depth, and see what Feagles wants to do.

So from a draft perspective I think I am going to try and find me a replacement for Robbins, a WR, a mid-round LBer and corner, a tackle, and a guard.

I just don't see many players on that list that are even worth resigning...Robbins, Smith, Manning, Moss, and maybe Danny Clark

That has absolutely nothing to do with being able to sign 2 free agents with 11 million cap room(and most likely more when Eli is re-signed and other players are let go.

You said we'd be 30 million over the cap. I'm guessing we'd be 5-6 million under the cap still if we picked up Dansby and Gonzalez.

Exactly. If the Cowboys and Redskins have taught the rest of us anything it is that you don't win championships by buying as many "stars" as you can. We did it by drafting well and acquiring solid pieces that fit well in our system but were not necessarily considered stars, like Kawika Mitchell. I think when you go out and spend a lot on a "star", you have to make sure that they are going to fit well and will definitely improve your team. Dansby is that kind of player, IMO. A 33 year old TE who is the highest paid at his position, when we already have pretty good TE's, is not.

We can sign Dansby, re-sign Jacobs, and draft well and we have a phenomenal TEAM going into 2009.

So even though the Giants are expressing interest in Gonzalez and Dansby, they wouldn't fit well in our system? Seems to me interest means the front office believes they would be perfect fits for our system.

And you're talking about the difference between a tight end that puts up 60+ receptions and 10+ touchdowns and a tight end that puts up 30 receptions and 5 touchdowns. Age really doesn't matter in this case because our team is obviously built to win right now.

What's your source?

Rotoworld says this: Tony Gonzalez contract: 1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million guaranteed. 2009: $4 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.75 million, 2012: Free Agent

USA Today, but they're only current through '08. For all I know, it could jump to $4 million in '09...if thats what we'd pay him, I'd pass. But if he'd restructure to sub $2 million?....think that would make it worthwhile?

We also have to sign our draft picks and any other free agents we might be looking into and re-sign Eli. I don't think the way to structure a team under the cap is to invest in the priciest TE. I think we should focus on our areas of need, which are WR and linebacker, and go for depth from there, because we have a lot of players whose contracts are up after next season.

Kevin Boothe

Chase Blackburn

Danny Clark

Jeremy Clark

Reuben Droughns

Jeff Feagles

Travonti Johnson

Sam Madison

Eli Manning

Michael Matthews

Edmond Miles

Martrez Milner

Sinorice Moss :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fred Robbins

Steve Smith

Guy Whimper

Gerris Wilkinson

I know several of those players are just spare parts that might not even make the team this coming season, but we do need to worry about re-signing Eli, replacing Fred Robbins, decide what to do with Steve Smith, worry about guard, tackle and linebacker depth, and see what Feagles wants to do.

So from a draft perspective I think I am going to try and find me a replacement for Robbins, a WR, a mid-round LBer and corner, a tackle, and a guard.

Droughans won't make it past March. He has a roster bonus due to him for $250k at that time.

Feagles will probably retire.

madison will be coaching somewhere.

Robbins may be expendible at that point, depends how Jay Alford develops. Plus Alford will be cheaper.

Smith has to be signed, clearly Eli does.

If Blackburn has another season like this one, he'll get interest in free agency and he'd be well advised to seek compensation.

I'd extend Boothe now if you ask me, I think he's going to be a starter later on down the line, lock him up for 3 years with an escalating salary.

Clark will be gone.

I'll offer to drive Moss and Wilkerson to Oakland in the offseason, with no return journey.

Kevin Boothe -WILL BE RESIGNED

Chase Blackburn - MIGHT BE IF NO OTHER TEAM THROWS HIM CASH

Danny Clark - GONE

Jeremy Clark - GONE

Reuben Droughns - GONE

Jeff Feagles - RETIRE

Travonti Johnson -WHO?

Sam Madison - RETIRE

Eli Manning -BIG CONTRACT

Michael Matthews - RESIGNED CHEAP

Edmond Miles - WHO?

Martrez Milner - WHO?

Sinorice Moss :clap: :clap: :clap::LMAO: :LMAO: can I show him the door?

Fred Robbins hmm tough to call, my guess is resign unless they can grab a stud in the draft

Steve Smith - RESIGN

Guy Whimper - VERY DISAPPOINTING - he will be let go

Gerris Wilkinson - Another disappointing pick, but I have a feeling the will resign him

Kevin Boothe -Resign

Chase Blackburn -Gone

Danny Clark -Gone

Jeremy Clark -Gone

Reuben Droughns -50/50 if he takes a pay cut he stays

Jeff Feagles -Probably retire

Derek Hagan (he is under contract for 2009) -Gone

Travonti Johnson -Who? Gone

Sam Madison -Retire, hopefully stays with organization

Eli Manning -Resign

Michael Matthews -Should be cheap, resign

Edmond Miles -Who? Gone

Martrez Milner -Who? Gone

Sinorice Moss :clap: :clap: :clap: -90% chance he is gone

Fred Robbins -Will retire a Giant

Steve Smith -Resign

Guy Whimper -Willing to take a pay cut he resigns

Gerris Wilkinson -Depends how he does next season

Thats a pipe dream.

say we get Dansby, Gonzalez

say we get Plax back

we would have 4 all pro players added to our roster

2 on d and 2 on O

Dansby and Osi

Plax and Gonzo

plus 4 first day picks (2offense, 2defense)

that would be sex rite there