SportsWrath

Bloomy is pissed!

GorillaNJ

BY FRANK LOMBARDI

DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Monday, December 1st 2008, 1:55 PM

Macdiarmid/Getty/Getty Images

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg wants the book thrown at Giants receiver Plaxico Burress (below).

Zelevansky/Getty

A fuming Mayor Bloomberg said Monday he wants Giants player Plaxico Burress prosecuted "to the fullest extent of the law" for accidentally shooting himself in his leg with an illegal handgun.

The mayor also called on prosecutors to throw the book at officials of the Giants and New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell for reportedly not alerting police about the shooting immediately, as required by law.

The incident reportedly occurred early Saturday inside the crowded LQ nightclub in midtown. Sources said the loaded gun Burress was packing slipped down his pants leg and went off as he fumbled to grab it. He was struck in his right thigh.

"It's pretty hard to argue the guy didn't have a gun and that it wasn't loaded," said Bloomberg, lashing out at the Super Bowl receiver. "You've got bullet holes in and out to show that it was there."

Bloomberg, who has been leading a national crusade against illegal guns, noted that under New York law if you are convicted of carrying a loaded illegal handgun "you go automatically to three-and-a-half years in the slammer."

"And I don't think that anybody should be exempt from that," he added. "And I think it would be an outrage if we don't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

"Our children are getting killed with guns on the street," the mayor commented during an unrelated press availability in the Bronx. "Our police officers are getting killed with guns in the hands of criminals."

A mayoral spokesman said Bloomberg was referring to the state law he successfully pushed through Albany last year that changed the penalty for illegal possession of a loaded illegal handgun from a one-year sentence to a mandatory minimum 3 1/2-year sentence.

The mandatory sentencing would apply if Burress is convicted as charged, but not necessarily if he is offered a plea bargain.

The mayor said that "people who live in the public domain" should be especially held responsible for their conduct because "they are the role models for our kids."

Not prosecuting celebrities and notables who "make their living because of their visibility" would make "a sham, a mockery of the law," the mayor asserted.

As for hospital officials who allegedly didn't immediately report that Burress had been brought to the hospital and treated, the mayor said, "It's a misdemeanor, it's a chargeable offense, and I think that the district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital."

He scoffed at the hospital's "lame execuse that they didn't know. This is a world-class hospital in a city where we all know what goes on in the streets of our city and where all should be working to get guns off the street."

He said those who treated Burress didn't immediately call the police and the hospital management "should make sure that the people that didn't no longer work there."

The mayor said the police only found out about the shooting incident from a TV report.

"The hospital didn't call and the Giants didn't call," he said. "And the Giants should have picked up the phone right away as good corporate citizens. I don't care whether (there is) the legal responsibility for them to do it."

Sounds like Bloomberg will not be happy unless Plex is behind bars. If anything it advances his anti-gun position.

If you listen to the audio, you can hear how really pissed off he is.

When I was at Grand Central this morning, the trains were backed up and the platforms were overcrowded. If anybody wanted to play terrorist this morning, they could have, because there was not one cop checking bags, especially now, being it's the holiday season and the city is busy and with all the shit going on in India. In fact, they only show up maybe 1 out of every 3 days. It's an absolute joke. Meanwhile let's throw the book at Plaxico..........

Bloomberg needs to wake the fuck up, this city's more vunerable than ever and that's what he's talking about. What does he want for Xmas?

If plax has no priors will he really get jail time for this ? seems extreme considering he never showed any intent to hurt anybody. Don't get me wrong, he did a very dumb thing, but jail ?

By taking a loaded gun into a club he didn't exactly show intent to keep from hurting anyone either.

If plax has no priors will he really get jail time for this ? seems extreme considering he never showed any intent to hurt anybody. Don't get me wrong, he did a very dumb thing, but jail ?

It's very extreme indeed. And I wish Bloomberg had kept his comments to himself. He has no business trying to influence a case against a player who had no intention of committing a crime to begin with.

When I was at Grand Central this morning, the trains were backed up and the platforms were overcrowded. If anybody wanted to play terrorist this morning, they could have, because there was not one cop checking bags, especially now, being it's the holiday season and the city is busy and with all the shit going on in India. In fact, they only show up maybe 1 out of every 3 days. It's an absolute joke. Meanwhile let's throw the book at Plaxico..........

Bloomberg needs to wake the fuck up, this city's more vunerable than ever and that's what he's talking about. What does he want for Xmas?

I agree with you Boo....just another grandstand by another smarmy holier than thou politician. The guy has been arrested and booked. There will be a trial unless he pleads down and then justice will take its course. There are a hell of a lot more relevant issues for "Mr. I Own MY Own Caribbean Island and I go there every Weekend" going on in NYC beyond Plax.

Sounds like Bloomberg will not be happy unless Plex is behind bars. If anything it advances his anti-gun position.

If you listen to the audio, you can hear how really pissed off he is.

What if it was Brett Favre :ph34r:

I agree. Plax should get jail, because he is a public figure and is "A Role Model" for children. The law is the law. If Plax didn't want to go to jail then he should have obeyed the law in the 1st place. The only person I feel sorry for in this whole thing is his child.

I agree. Plax should get jail, because he is a public figure and is "A Role Model" for children. The law is the law. If Plax didn't want to go to jail then he should have obeyed the law in the 1st place. The only person I feel sorry for in this whole thing is his child.

I can't believe it. I'm in agreement with BK. :unsure:

He's a Jew. :ph34r:

That don't make sense so is Mara (Hebrew for Bitter)

what does Bloomberg mean is that Hebrew for?.......... flowertown????

So why would two old Jewish Families be at odds? did something happen over on at the mother land back in 1890 or something

or is Bloomberg and anti-Semite :confused:

It's very extreme indeed. And I wish Bloomberg had kept his comments to himself. He has no business trying to influence a case against a player who had no intention of committing a crime to begin with.

While it is a stupid law, it is a crime to carry a loaded concealed weapon in public, in NYC without a permit.