SportsWrath

Burress expected back in two weeks

jranieli

I feel you there bro. Losing any of them would be bad, but especialy the center. O'hara has played like a pro bowler all season.

The only upside to O'Hara goin down is Ruegamer can play center. And fill in nicely, as we all saw in the SB.

It's hard to say how and when the Commissioner's office will react. On one hand, they could wait for the necessary legal determinations to be made before enforcing their own penalty. On the other, the litigation will most assuredly be an exercise in protraction, so they might be compelled to act upon the current slate of facts. Goodell has suspended players before they were convicted of any crimes, notably Pacman Jones, so it's feasible to assume Plax will be reprimanded by the league (or his own team) at some point irrespective of his criminal charges.

That said, he has much bigger problems than his playing career. He'll need a really clever defense to avoid a jail sentence. It's hard to be not guilty of a weapons possession charge when you shot yourself with the weapon. That's fairly incriminating.

he was obviously worth way more than what he received considering his immediate impact the first season he was here. the other teams were simply wrong to not offer him more than we did. why do you think it took so long for him to sign? he knew he wasn't receiving fair market value and luckily we benefited from that.

Also the market changed the following offseason when the CBA was renegotiated. After that, guys like Antwaan Randle-El and Kevin Curtis were getting larger contracts. His old contract was essentially obsolete and he deserved a new contract. His behavior since then has been, uh, sub-optimal.

Hixon is the real deal. That kid is going to hold down the fort just fine. He's younger, faster, and obviously has great hands. The way Eli is spreading the ball around, all we need is for him to be consistant, and so far he's proven to be much more.

i agree, i like hixon too. i was just disagreeing that we are a better team w/o plax. i think that remains to be seen and can't be judged over two games w/o him

It's hard to say how and when the Commissioner's office will react. On one hand, they could wait for the necessary legal determinations to be made before enforcing their own penalty. On the other, the litigation will most assuredly be an exercise in protraction, so they might be compelled to act upon the current slate of facts. Goodell has suspended players before they were convicted of any crimes, notably Pacman Jones, so it's feasible to assume Plax will be reprimanded by the league (or his own team) at some point irrespective of his criminal charges.

That said, he has much bigger problems than his playing career. He'll need a really clever defense to avoid a jail sentence. It's hard to be not guilty of a weapons possession charge when you shot yourself with the weapon. That's fairly incriminating.

it's hard to tell w/ goodell. i still dont understand why matt jones (MATT JONES!) hasn't been suspended yet considering the fact that he was caught cutting up coke and is talking about drug rehab

it's hard to tell w/ goodell. i still dont understand why matt jones (MATT JONES!) hasn't been suspended yet considering the fact that he was caught cutting up coke and is talking about drug rehab

I was hoping MATT JONES (WHO) would be suspened so I could put him on IR in my keeper league and therefore keep an extra player.

Based on Tank Johnson's transgressions, my guess is that Burress is NOT reprimanded by the league this year ... possibly not at all. Tank Johnson was involved in a lot of legal problems over the course of a couple years before receiving a suspension.

Now, Plax could be suspended or placed on the non-football IR by the Giants. It's up to them, and they'll have to weigh his value to the team against the importance of punishing mistakes of such an egregious, criminal nature. The language of his contract and the timing of his bonuses also come into play.

I was hoping MATT JONES (WHO) would be suspened so I could put him on IR in my keeper league and therefore keep an extra player.

Based on Tank Johnson's transgressions, my guess is that Burress is NOT reprimanded by the league this year ... possibly not at all. Tank Johnson was involved in a lot of legal problems over the course of a couple years before receiving a suspension.

Now, Plax could be suspended or placed on the non-football IR by the Giants. It's up to them, and they'll have to weigh his value to the team against the importance of punishing mistakes of such an egregious, criminal nature. The language of his contract and the timing of his bonuses also come into play.

my money's on him not spending a minute in jail or being suspended by goodell. i dont gamble though

Without a doubt, he is going to get suspended for at least one game by the league because he is going to get charged with the weapon possession charge and I would not be surprised if Pierce gets hit with a weapons charge as well for taking it to NJ after the incident.

With that being said, I don't believe he should get cut because of this incident. Now if the team is looking for the reason to cut him so they can save some cash, well then I'd have to wonder if Dolan is running the Giants. Burress didn't shoot anyone but himself which is dumb, but I absolutely understand his need to protect himself. BTW, for everyone else here and Tony Siragusa who mentioned not going to places that you might need a gun...Richard Collier was shot 14 times in a car on the street in front of an apartment building. Sean Taylor was at home in bed, Darrent Williams was in a limo after a New Year's Eve party. NFL players are being targeted and they have as much of a right to protect themselves as anyone else.

Shouldn't be going to a club if he's married...are you serious?

He can't play but is at a club...yeah, he made that hamstring worse on the dance floor.

Plaxico Burress is just not the bad apple everyone thinks he is.

Without a doubt, he is going to get suspended for at least one game by the league because he is going to get charged with the weapon possession charge and I would not be surprised if Pierce gets hit with a weapons charge as well for taking it to NJ after the incident.

With that being said, I don't believe he should get cut because of this incident. Now if the team is looking for the reason to cut him so they can save some cash, well then I'd have to wonder if Dolan is running the Giants. Burress didn't shoot anyone but himself which is dumb, but I absolutely understand his need to protect himself. BTW, for everyone else here and Tony Siragusa who mentioned not going to places that you might need a gun...Richard Collier was shot 14 times in a car on the street in front of an apartment building. Sean Taylor was at home in bed, Darrent Williams was in a limo after a New Year's Eve party. NFL players are being targeted and they have as much of a right to protect themselves as anyone else.

He can't play but is at a club...yeah, he made that hamstring worse on the dance floor.

Wasn't it discovered that Collier or the guy he was with got into an altercation at a club with the guy who shot him? And the same for Darrent Williams? Taylor is the only exception here. Goose is right. If you need a gun to go to a club, it's time to go the fuck home.

An altercation? You can have an altercation on the subway, at red light, on the highway...

I'm making money, I'm going wherever I want to have a good time or else whats the point?

Wasn't it discovered that Collier or the guy he was with got into an altercation at a club with the guy who shot him? And the same for Darrent Williams? Taylor is the only exception here. Goose is right. If you need a gun to go to a club, it's time to go the fuck home.

I've stated numerous times that I think this can be exactly the wake up call Plax needed. He hasn't killed anyone nor has he been that much of a headcase. The incidents he's gotten himself into (except for the last one) strike as tiny and pitty. They can easily be corrected. I'm more inclined to believe he's emotionally unstable and in need of couseling/TLC from his family and friends.. real friends than to be punished. Right now Plax has to deal with the legal situation and I hope everything works out for the better for everyone.

An altercation? You can have an altercation on the subway, at red light, on the highway...

I'm making money, I'm going wherever I want to have a good time or else whats the point?

:mellow:

Ofcourse you can, I'm obviously pointing out that that wasn't the case in the examples you just gave, and it certainly doesn't seem to be the trend amongst NFL players.

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend these guys have bullseyes on their backs EVERYWHERE they go.

Yes they are grown men making money and can go where they want, but it's apparent that sometimes they don't make the best decisions about that and the consequences can be fatal.

I don't know what you guys the outcome will be... feel free to speculate on the possible scenarios. I think the scenario that's going to play out is this:

The Giants will not cut or try to unload Plax contract by any means. The will let him earn whatever he's supposed to earn comes December 10th. This will serve a good gesture coming from the NYG. They compassion and showing that person "you care" is paramount to their image as well as the positive effect it's going to have on Plax who seems to be suffering from some kind of depression (observe closely his interview with Pam Oliver).

Then Plax will come back to play for the Giants... a much more humbled Plax and he will play lights out... just think NFC Championship game.. without the antics. The NFL will suspend him for a game or two and the Giants will be content with that punishment.. meaning they won't add their own.

If course the best scenario is for us to win the SB again.. for which after that Plax goes to court in March. After deliberation and the case the lawyer makes for Plax being a model citizen who needs help and compassion, Plax is punished with only probation. Plax goes on to play for the Giants and retire as one.

Well they seem to have a bullseye on their back whenever they go to a club.

Sure its not every player in the NFL but it is a rather elite set of people who are in that category.

So no clubs for NFL Players? Doesn't sound right does it?

It comes down to the simple fact that this is just a job and to further limit their personal lives for the benefit of their job just sounds like bullshit.

:mellow:

Ofcourse you can, I'm obviously pointing out that that wasn't the case in the examples you just gave, and it certainly doesn't seem to be the trend amongst NFL players.

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend these guys have bullseyes on their backs EVERYWHERE they go.

Yes they are grown men making money and can go where they want, but it's apparent that sometimes they don't make the best decisions about that and the consequences can be fatal.

Sure its not every player in the NFL but it is a rather elite set of people who are in that category.

It comes down to the simple fact that this is just a job and to further limit their personal lives for the benefit of their job just sounds like bullshit.

Nobody here said he shouldn't go to a club and have fun. You seem to want to give him a pass.. 100%. Most of us disagree with that notion. What Nesta said was exactly right and that the boneheaded decisions have to be accounted for. And this life of glamor with all of its downsides comes with the territory.. the territory of being a celeb...

I don't know what you guys the outcome will be... feel free to speculate on the possible scenarios. I think the scenario that's going to play out is this:

The Giants will not cut or try to unload Plax contract by any means. The will let him earn whatever he's supposed to earn comes December 10th. This will serve a good gesture coming from the NYG. They compassion and showing that person "you care" is paramount to their image as well as the positive effect it's going to have on Plax who seems to be suffering from some kind of depression (observe closely his interview with Pam Oliver).

Then Plax will come back to play for the Giants... a much more humbled Plax and he will play lights out... just think NFC Championship game.. without the antics. The NFL will suspend him for a game or two and the Giants will be content with that punishment.. meaning they won't add their own.

If course the best scenario is for us to win the SB again.. for which after that Plax goes to court in March. After deliberation and the case the lawyer makes for Plax being a model citizen who needs help and compassion, Plax is punished with only probation. Plax goes on to play for the Giants and retire as one.

you must be an idealist.

Nobody is saying he can't protect himself. He can have all the guns he wants, BUT DO IT LEGALLY. The guy is up on felony charges now because he was carrying a firearm illegally. Then learn how to use the fucking thing. He dropped it trying to unload it and shot himself. To me, that doesn't sound like somebody who is familiar with handling a gun. It's about smart decision making. Plax has proven this season, that he is not the best decision maker and now he's paying the price.

Gun laws in New York City are ridiculous. There is a very short list of people in NYC that can carry a concealed handgun legally. I'm not advocating Burress gets a pass, I'm just saying he shouldn't lose his job for trying to protect his life and possessions.

Gun laws in New York City are ridiculous. There is a very short list of people in NYC that can carry a concealed handgun legally. I'm not advocating Burress gets a pass, I'm just saying he shouldn't lose his job for trying to protect his life and possessions.

Because he's a football player? If a CEO or even a janitor of a school was carrying around an illegal firearm and shot himself, he'd lose his job. Why should a football player be any different?

If going to a club means you feel you have to carry a weapon illegaly, that will land you 3 1/2 if even found on you, then you should stay the hell home. This isnt rocket science.

Yep, and if it was you or I that shot himself in that club, we'd be wearing orange right about now. No high-priced lawyer that got Puff Daddy off; no employer calling about our well-being; no job. And that's before we're even sentenced. No offense, but I doubt you'd be posting on here in my defense, either. And honestly, I wouldn't blame you.

They have access to bodyguards, do you?

If he can afford handguns, he could probably afford body armor as well. No law against body armor, and you have to be especially stupid to injure yourself with that.

Does every club in NYC put you in a situation where you feel a need to carry a weapon? Why not go to one where you feel safe?

There are options, and he failed to exercise them. Worse, he put teammates in compromising positions that they weren't even aware they were in at the time.

Having money doesn't make you bullet-proof. And again, why put yourself at risk for a couple of drinks at a club?

Is it a bullseye whenever they go to a club, or the clubs they go to?

I feel bad for the guy, but he made his own bed.