SportsWrath

Burress expected back in two weeks

jranieli

A small tidbit of reason from yesterdays game announcers, from Goose of all people. If you're a pro footballer and the club you are going to requires a wand or for you to walk through a detector, then you need to turn around and go home.

Every Monday, Antonio Pierce is scheduled to speak to Francesa on the Wfan, it should be interesting to see if first, he even does the call, and if so what he says. Francesa is going to have to confront him on it.

2 games is a huge sample size, i agree.

Really 3 games.

I think Plax was very important to Eli as he was developing. There was a stat I read somewhere that Eli threw the highest % of his passes to Plax than any QB/WR combo in the NFL. He was a security blanket because of his jump and stride. That worked well a lot of the time, but it also got Eli into some trouble now and then.

Now Eli has matured to a point where he's no longer looking for that security blanket. He's finding the open man, and he's comfortable in the pocket.

I guess what I'm saying is that Plax is no longer needed as he once was.

Really 3 games.

I think Plax was very important to Eli as he was developing. There was a stat I read somewhere that Eli threw the highest % of his passes to Plax than any QB/WR combo in the NFL. He was a security blanket because of his jump and stride. That worked well a lot of the time, but it also got Eli into some trouble now and then.

Now Eli has matured to a point where he's no longer looking for that security blanket. He's finding the open man, and he's comfortable in the pocket.

I guess what I'm saying is that Plax is no longer needed as he once was.

Chris Berman said last night that the Giants are statistically a better team without him. They do seem to throw the ball better when he's not there and Hixon takes his place.

My feeling is, that no matter how Plaxico recovers or gets through the rest of this mess, the Giants need to shut him down for the season and move on. Place him on IR today, activate Manningham and move on, start rounding out the playbook designed around the players we have. Let's face it, if Hixon keeps playing the way he has, he's going to command serious attention out there. The Giants FO can then work on the Plaxico mess behind the scenes and keep the attention on the field.

While it may affect us in the running game, because teams will be more willing to try and shut that down first, what we've found out this year is that Eli has played very well with Plaxico out of the lineup. He's had 2 of his best games in a row now with Burress off the field.

Frankly, an injury to one or two of our linemen right now scares me a hell of a lot more than Plaxico being out. When O'Hara went down yesterday, that freaked me out more.

You also have to take into account when he was on the field... and was invisible. The question that should be asked is this:

Is this guy worth the money the Giants are paying him?

To me the answer is a resounding no.

My feeling is, that no matter how Plaxico recovers or gets through the rest of this mess, the Giants need to shut him down for the season and move on. Place him on IR today, activate Manningham and move on, start rounding out the playbook designed around the players we have. Let's face it, if Hixon keeps playing the way he has, he's going to command serious attention out there. The Giants FO can then work on the Plaxico mess behind the scenes and keep the attention on the field.

While it may affect us in the running game, because teams will be more willing to try and shut that down first, what we've found out this year is that Eli has played very well with Plaxico out of the lineup. He's had 2 of his best games in a row now with Burress off the field.

Frankly, an injury to one or two of our linemen right now scares me a hell of a lot more than Plaxico being out. When O'Hara went down yesterday, that freaked me out more.

I wouldn't go that far at this stage. First we have to see how Plax recovers (or doesn't) from this. Assuming he doesn't serve jail time during the season/playoffs, he may come back a new man. These things tend to be good.. depending on how the person responds to them. I'm more than willing to turn a new page for Plax...

Now, if that doesn't happen, we can always move on and with the money Plax was supposed to get, you can land a stud WR.. an even better one than Plax.

Highly unlikely... unless he goes to jail then it's up in the air.

Not a chance he plays another game for the Giants...he is due a 1 million dollar roster bonus

in 9 days (December 10th)..you can bet your ass the Giants will put him on the Non Football Injury

list, that means they don't have to pay him that roster bonus.

Peter King explains it better than I ever could:

I see the contract totally on the come. And the first big test of this contract will come on Dec. 10, when Burress is due $1 million from the original and only guaranteed money in the deal, the third installment of a $4.325-million signing bonus when he signed. Let me break down all of the non-guaranteed money in the Burress deal that makes it absolutely simple for the Giants to cut the cord with him after the season:

• Non-guaranteed base salaries: $11.5 million ($1 million in 2009, $3.5 million in 2010, $3.5 million in 2011, $3.5 million in 2012).

• Non-guaranteed one-time bonus to be paid early in the '09 off-season: $2 million.

• Non-guaranteed roster bonuses: $3.5 million ($500,000 in '09, $1 million in 2010, $1 million in 2011, $1 million in 2012).

• Non-guaranteed escalators, payable only on high performance: $5 million ($1.25 million in '09, '10, '11, '12.) He has not reached his escalators yet that would kick in for 2009.

• Non-guaranteed workout bonuses: $1.3 million ($325,000 in '09, '10, '11, '12).

Burress also has a clause in his contract that could come into play and cost him $400,000 this year. For every game he's ineligible to play in because of non-injury reasons, he doesn't earn a $100,000 per game roster bonus

Not a chance he plays another game for the Giants...he is due a 1 million dollar roster bonus

in 9 days (December 10th)..you can bet your ass the Giants will put him on the Non Football Injury

Peter King explains it more than I ever could:

Yea, now that makes a lot of sense. We'll see.

I wouldn't go that far at this stage. First we have to see how Plax recovers (or doesn't) from this. Assuming he doesn't serve jail time during the season/playoffs, he may come back a new man. These things tend to be good.. depending on how the person responds to them. I'm more than willing to turn a new page for Plax...

Now, if that doesn't happen, we can always move on and with the money Plax was supposed to get, you can land a stud WR.. an even better one than Plax.

Nas, that's not going far at all. He shot himself in the leg, he already had a hamstring injury and he's clearly going to be suspended in some fashion. Seeing as he's injured you could justify putting him there.

Nas, that's not going far at all. He shot himself in the leg, he already had a hamstring injury and he's clearly going to be suspended in some fashion. Seeing as he's injured you could justify putting him there.

Booyah, you know I've been Plax's biggest critic on this board. I'm not saying what he did wasn't flat out stupid. All I'm saying is the man is down right now and as a fan and a fellow human being, I'm rooting for him to come back and be better than he's ever been. Right now there's a lot of dust and I would like to see that settle before actions are taken.

Booyah, you know I've been Plax's biggest critic on this board. I'm not saying what he did wasn't flat out stupid. All I'm saying is the man is down right now and as a fan and a fellow human being, I'm rooting for him to come back and be better than he's ever been. Right now there's a lot of dust and I would like to see that settle before actions are taken.

He'll be back...just not as a New York Giant.

You also have to take into account when he was on the field... and was invisible. The question that should be asked is this:

Is this guy worth the money the Giants are paying him?

To me the answer is a resounding no.

maybe, but on the other hadn we had him for dirt cheap for a few years and probably don't win the superbowl w/o him. wages dont always end up being fair, to one side or the other

Peter King explains it better than I ever could:

And you can bet your ass that if that happens, Plax won't be worth having on the roster next year.

He'll be a disgruntled little bitch.

maybe, but on the other hadn we had him for dirt cheap for a few years and probably don't win the superbowl w/o him. wages dont always end up being fair, to one side or the other

He wasn't dirty cheap. He waited for a better deal and there wasn't any. He still made millions.

Nas, I didn't even bring up any personal feelings towards Plaxico on this one if you look at what I wrote. I made a suggestion on what I think they should do. It wouldn't matter if he was shot or shot himself. The issue here is how the Giants treat this. Regardless of his mindset, he put the Giants in a terrible position.

As for what I think of him personally, here it is. Fuck football for one second here. Last season, he proceeded to have the most fulfilling season personally for himself. He was great all year, and capped it off being a hero in the playoffs and being a major part in the most endearing sight in Giants football history. When Pittsburgh won the superbowl, he was ridiculed for leaving. Now he was vindicated, and he's on NFL network crying, and he's sitting there with his wife and baby. He's at the top of the mountain. He's got the respect he wanted. This board and other Giants fans went from Plaxico sucks to Plaxico rules.

And since then, he has found every which way to fuck that all up with a string of bad behaviour, after the Giants rewarded him. He's actually become a self centered prick. I give credit again to Goose and Moose (holy crap!), when they pointed out that a guy talking about himself in the 3rd person, really is not owning up to his own issues (same shit LT used to do when he claimed LT and Lawrence Taylor were "2 different people!!".).

If he never played another game again, fine, as long as he stays alive and becomes a proper role model for his son, that's all that matters.

He wasn't dirty cheap. He waited for a better deal and there wasn't any. He still made millions.

he was dirt cheap. he signed a contract that was way below what wr's who put up numbers he ended up putting up made.

Remind me next time I'm up for a raise to ask for what I'm worth based on what I'm going to do and not what I've already done.

he was obviously worth way more than what he received considering his immediate impact the first season he was here. the other teams were simply wrong to not offer him more than we did. why do you think it took so long for him to sign? he knew he wasn't receiving fair market value and luckily we benefited from that.

he was dirt cheap. he signed a contract that was way below what wr's who put up numbers he ended up putting up made.

nobody else wanted him...he's lucky he got what he did...I was shocked the Giants even gave him a huge contract earlier this year

nobody else wanted him...he's lucky he got what he did...I was shocked the Giants even gave him a huge contract earlier this year

i know, that's so weird. it's not like he was coming off one of the greatest post-seasons ever for a wr.

Hixon is the real deal. That kid is going to hold down the fort just fine. He's younger, faster, and obviously has great hands. The way Eli is spreading the ball around, all we need is for him to be consistant, and so far he's proven to be much more.

I feel you there bro. Losing any of them would be bad, but especialy the center. O'hara has played like a pro bowler all season.