SportsWrath

Burress expected back in two weeks

jranieli

agreed. he should be criticized for carrying the gun and having it discharge into his leg. he shouldn't be criticized for being at the club

I might agree if he wasn't missing a game for a hammy.

If you can't play football, which we're paying him a lot of money to do, he has no business going to a dance club.

that's def a fair point, but we dont know what the trainer told him as far as what he could or couldn't do. my best guess is that if he were told that he couldn't dance pierce would not be down with him being there at all, let alone w/ them--but that's just a guess

that's def a fair point, but we dont know what the trainer told him as far as what he could or couldn't do. my best guess is that if he were told that he couldn't dance pierce would not be down with him being there at all, let alone w/ them--but that's just a guess

You might be right. Some injuries require more exercise while some require rest. I've never had a hamstring injury so I don't know.

There's no point in getting into whether or not he should be going to a club. Obviously, he should be home. If not for his family, then for himself and his job. Anyone who thinks that the previous incident where he "had to take his kid to school" wasn't club/alcohol related are kidding themselves. This guy has already been suspended and fined hundreds of thousands because he is living a destructive lifestyle. Then this.

But even if you excuse the fact that he insists on living the party lifestyle in-season even though he knows it has affected his responsibilities to his family and to the NY Giants, you cannot excuse the fact that he took a loaded gun into a club and drank. That is the height of stupidity and irresponsibility. Just for the fact that if in fact he bobbled it and it went off, then the safety was not on either. Nobody should be giving this guy a pass because he played well last year and we won a SuperBowl. The fact is, he could've killed someone or himself because of his irresponsibility. And he could be facing felony weapons charges because of all this.

He's a problem, and he's doing it to himself. He is a liability to this team now. Last year is over. It doesn't matter if he has all the talent in the world, and he broke every receiving record there ever was last year. He needs to change his lifestyle. The Giants need to, at minimum, suspend/deactivate him for the remainder of the season, and go after his money in a big way.

After that, they need to come alongside of him and try to help him, because he is a reckless individual, out of control and he needs help. But he has to be willing. If he is willing, then they should go ahead and let him be on the team next year. But he has to prove that this lifestyle is behind him. He has to get some counseling, go to rehab, whatever he needs to do, and start living right. And the Giants can't dictate that to him, he needs to decide that for himself. But the Giants should request this of him and tell him his future as a Giant depends on what he does next.

There's no point in getting into whether or not he should be going to a club. Obviously, he should be home. If not for his family, then for himself and his job. Anyone who thinks that the previous incident where he "had to take his kid to school" wasn't club/alcohol related are kidding themselves. This guy has already been suspended and fined hundreds of thousands because he is living a destructive lifestyle. Then this.

But even if you excuse the fact that he insists on living the party lifestyle in-season even though he knows it has affected his responsibilities to his family and to the NY Giants, you cannot excuse the fact that he took a loaded gun into a club and drank. That is the height of stupidity and irresponsibility. Just for the fact that if in fact he bobbled it and it went off, then the safety was not on either. Nobody should be giving this guy a pass because he played well last year and we won a SuperBowl. The fact is, he could've killed someone or himself because of his irresponsibility. And he could be facing felony weapons charges because of all this.

He's a problem, and he's doing it to himself. He is a liability to this team now. Last year is over. It doesn't matter if he has all the talent in the world, and he broke every receiving record there ever was last year. He needs to change his lifestyle. The Giants need to, at minimum, suspend/deactivate him for the remainder of the season, and go after his money in a big way.

After that, they need to come alongside of him and try to help him, because he is a reckless individual, out of control and he needs help. But he has to be willing. If he is willing, then they should go ahead and let him be on the team next year. But he has to prove that this lifestyle is behind him. He has to get some counseling, go to rehab, whatever he needs to do, and start living right. And the Giants can't dictate that to him, he needs to decide that for himself. But the Giants should request this of him and tell him his future as a Giant depends on what he does next.

What you didn't mention and what can change the Giants plans for this fool, is what are going to be the actions of the NYC Police and the Manhattan District Attorney. Will he be arrested for having an unlicensed pistol? If he is and he goes to court, he could receive a prison sentence. If that happens, the NFL Commissioner will probable take action that will effect his career. He should be made an example of and have his career severly impacted.

despite his reputation he's a huge reason our running game has been as good as it is. take a look at all the blocks he's throwing.

also, i dont care about this year. this year is gravy. but last year, on a fucked up ankle he gave 199 million percent out there and we would not have a superbowl championship w/o him.

for which he got justly rewarded with a fat contract with a fat signing bonus. since then, he's been an idiot.

the DA will let burress plead down to a lesser charge and he'll get probation. goodell might suspend him for a game but i doubt he gets four. maybe giants suspend him for a game or put him on IR, but the fact is he's just a bonehead who is well-liked by his teammates and whose antics obviously have no impact on his team--and as long as that is the case I will not get all over a dude not that much older than me for not being asleep by 9 pm everynight with a warm glass of milk and a bedtime story instead of going to a club. the only poor choice he made was bringing the gun to the club and not handling it properly

for which he got justly rewarded with a fat contract with a fat signing bonus. since then, he's been an idiot.

he was an idiot before the contract too, but he is on his best behavior when it counts and we have a superbowl championship because of it and we have an 11-1 record because of it and depsite the off-field stuff. For me it's just a case of taking the good with the bad

he was an idiot before the contract too, but he is on his best behavior when it counts and we have a superbowl championship because of it and we have an 11-1 record because of it and depsite the off-field stuff. For me it's just a case of taking the good with the bad
We don't need him. despite what you claim. We have several receivers who are just as good at catching the football as he is but none of them have shit for brains like he does.

We don't need him. despite what you claim. We have several receivers who are just as good at catching the football as he is but none of them have shit for brains like he does.

none of our receivers are as good as burress. we may not end up needing him to win it all from here on out, but we dont have a superbowl championship w/o him and in the end that's what the game's all about--not how well they behave off the field

You are seeing him through rose-colored glasses. He is on his best behavior when it counts? When has he been on good behavior at all? The Giants have put up with too much of his antics already. And seriously, the whole, "we won a SuperBowl because of him is old, and cannot be substantiated by any measure. I'm not downplaying his accomplishments, because he gutted it out last year and was money. But I have every confidence in Hixon, and I cannot say we would NOT have won a SuperBowl without Plaxico. It may as well have been Hixon or Smith or Boss or someone else who scores the go ahead td in that game. As it turned out, Plaxico made the move, the defender fell, he was wide open, and it was him Eli got the ball too. But it takes 53 guys to win a SuperBowl, and saying that we won because of one guy, or would not have won if we had said one guy, cannot be measured or verified. I would give a pass for a statement made like that if we were talking about Eli, or maybe even Tuck. But not a guy who had two catches in the SuperBowl, and yes I'm well aware of his performance in the NFCCG. None of that excuses him for what he is doing to himself and the team, and he should be suspended minimum for the remainder of the year, if not indefinitely.

In case you haven't noticed, the Giants can win with him or without him, he is not God's gift to football and the NY Giants.

none of our receivers are as good as burress. we may not end up needing him to win it all from here on out, but we dont have a superbowl championship w/o him and in the end that's what the game's all about--not how well they behave off the field
You certainly worship this asshole.

You know what? I wouldn't lower my standards for a SuperBowl anyways. Even if I knew kicking this guy off the team was the right thing to do for the other 52 guys in the locker room would cost us a SuperBowl, I would still do it. It's what makes us the Giants and not the Cowboys. Nobody is bigger than the team. Everyone is held to the same standard, and we don't sell our soul to win a championship. We win a championship because we maintain our soul, and our players fight for each other and have real character. Reese and Coughlin will not cowtow to Burress and disrupt that, despite what anyone thinks about how "great" a receiver Plaxico is.

You know what? I wouldn't lower my standards for a SuperBowl anyways. Even if I knew kicking this guy off the team was the right thing to do for the other 52 guys in the locker room would cost us a SuperBowl, I would still do it. It's what makes us the Giants and not the Cowboys. Nobody is bigger than the team. Everyone is held to the same standard, and we don't sell our soul to win a championship. We win a championship because we maintain our soul, and our players fight for each other and have real character. Reese and Coughlin will not cowtow to Burress and disrupt that, despite what anyone thinks about how "great" a receiver Plaxico is.

it's easy to say that now we have won the championship and can't lose it.

You might be right. Some injuries require more exercise while some require rest. I've never had a hamstring injury so I don't know.

With a hammy, do nothing. Don't even stretch it.. stretching it makes it worse. I've had 3 of those. Also, just because someone is clubbing, it doesn't mean he's dancing.

it's easy to say that now we have won the championship and can't lose it.

Say what you will, but I'm sure you've heard of a coach "losing a locker room". That is exactly what we would have if Coughlin and Reese gave Burress the star treatment. If we lose Plaxico forever, so be it. The rest of our players will work harder because they know that they have a fair coach who appreciates those who do work hard and those that have character, and the fact that nobody is above the team, and nobody gets the star treatment.

Well said, Jim. I'm leaning more toward the counseling part. There's no excuse for this but I happened to believe this guy needs more compassion than criticism at this time at least.

You are seeing him through rose-colored glasses. He is on his best behavior when it counts? When has he been on good behavior at all?

on the field. unless you were one of those who thought his body language (despite his production) was a felony.

The Giants have put up with too much of his antics already. And seriously, the whole, "we won a SuperBowl because of him is old

doesn't make it any less true.

and cannot be substantiated by any measure.

(insert 2007 playoff stats here)

I'm not downplaying his accomplishments, because he gutted it out last year and was money. But I have every confidence in Hixon, and I cannot say we would NOT have won a SuperBowl without Plaxico. It may as well have been Hixon or Smith or Boss or someone else who scores the go ahead td in that game. As it turned out, Plaxico made the move, the defender fell, he was wide open, and it was him Eli got the ball too. But it takes 53 guys to win a SuperBowl, and saying that we won because of one guy, or would not have won if we had said one guy, cannot be measured or verified. I would give a pass for a statement made like that if we were talking about Eli, or maybe even Tuck. But not a guy who had two catches in the SuperBowl, and yes I'm well aware of his performance in the NFCCG. None of that excuses him for what he is doing to himself and the team, and he should be suspended minimum for the remainder of the year, if not indefinitely.

In case you haven't noticed, the Giants can win with him or without him, he is not God's gift to football and the NY Giants.

im not saying he was the sole reason the giants won the superbowl. you know that though. we wouldn't have given him the extension if any other player on the team could've done what he did.

Well to be fair we're 11-1 in spite of him not because of him.

Say what you will, but I'm sure you've heard of a coach "losing a locker room". That is exactly what we would have if Coughlin and Reese gave Burress the star treatment. If we lose Plaxico forever, so be it. The rest of our players will work harder because they know that they have a fair coach who appreciates those who do work hard and those that have character, and the fact that nobody is above the team, and nobody gets the star treatment.

plax is a bonehead, i agree, but coughlin handles it correctly and as a result he doesn't hurt team chemistry. he's still well-liked and the team is still winning. until either of those situations change im not going to be up in arms about his behavior

It's true that none of our receivers are as good as him but by the same token none of those receivers gets paid nearly as much. I don't know how much TO makes compared to Plax but TO is catching passes and TDs out of his ass..

Who would've thought at this point we'd be talking more about Plax and none about TO?

The point I'm making is.. for the money this guy makes, we could bring in a Fitzgerald.