SportsWrath

Burress expected back in two weeks

jranieli

He was courted by several teams in '05. The Vikings were especially interested.

no he wasn't...he was expected to be courted by the Giants and Packers....the Giants made an offer and he turned it down, nobody else wanted him, so he came back to the Giants and took the offer even though Accorsi made a statement saying that the Giants were no longer interested.

Without a doubt, he is going to get suspended for at least one game by the league because he is going to get charged with the weapon possession charge and I would not be surprised if Pierce gets hit with a weapons charge as well for taking it to NJ after the incident.

With that being said, I don't believe he should get cut because of this incident. Now if the team is looking for the reason to cut him so they can save some cash, well then I'd have to wonder if Dolan is running the Giants. Burress didn't shoot anyone but himself which is dumb, but I absolutely understand his need to protect himself. BTW, for everyone else here and Tony Siragusa who mentioned not going to places that you might need a gun...Richard Collier was shot 14 times in a car on the street in front of an apartment building. Sean Taylor was at home in bed, Darrent Williams was in a limo after a New Year's Eve party. NFL players are being targeted and they have as much of a right to protect themselves as anyone else.

Shouldn't be going to a club if he's married...are you serious?

He can't play but is at a club...yeah, he made that hamstring worse on the dance floor.

Plaxico Burress is just not the bad apple everyone thinks he is.

Everyone has a right to protect themselves, but they also should have the common sense to stay out of places where the level of getting into trouble is higher than normal. That's the point Siragusa was making and I agree with him. If the place had detectors and guys with wands out front, then obviously there's some reason for that, and there are plenty of places to hang out where that doesn't occur.

Secondly, he's not registered to use that gun in New York, so the minute he entered the City, he was commiting a crime. I dare say he knew that already.

Nobody has turned himself into a bad apple more than Plaxico has.

Well they seem to have a bullseye on their back whenever they go to a club.

Sure its not every player in the NFL but it is a rather elite set of people who are in that category.

So no clubs for NFL Players? Doesn't sound right does it?

It comes down to the simple fact that this is just a job and to further limit their personal lives for the benefit of their job just sounds like bullshit.

This probably has more to do with WHERE they are going (and by that I don't mean club, but which clubs) and how they act when they're in there more so than their occupations.

The LQ for instance is 'plagued by violence' as the newspaper put it.

And no my friend, it's not 'just a job'. It's THE JOB. One that requires some discipline and sacrifice.

Everyone has a right to protect themselves, but they also should have the common sense to stay out of places where the level of getting into trouble is higher than normal. That's the point Siragusa was making and I agree with him. If the place had detectors and guys with wands out front, then obviously there's some reason for that, and there are plenty of places to hang out where that doesn't occur.

Secondly, he's not registered to use that gun in New York, so the minute he entered the City, he was commiting a crime. I dare say he knew that already.

Nobody has turned himself into a bad apple more than Plaxico has.

And that's what it really comes down to. Many of these athletes, like Pacman, put themselves in these bad situations by hanging out with thugs, that just want to spend your money, or by going to bad clubs. I guess that want to show the homies that they've made it but it's just a recipe for disaster. You can take the athlete out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the athlete.

is it just me or does the bulk of these incidents seem to happen to a majority of african american athletes

No. It also happens to a majority of african american music artists, african american attendees to music awards shows, african american children, african american gas station clerks, etc....

:ph34r:

is it just me or does the bulk of these incidents seem to happen to a majority of african american athletes

well considering the majority of athletes are african american that's not much of an abberation or something that reasonable conclusions can be drawn from

no he wasn't...he was expected to be courted by the Giants and Packers....the Giants made an offer and he turned it down, nobody else wanted him, so he came back to the Giants and took the offer even though Accorsi made a statement saying that the Giants were no longer interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2004425

Ex-Raven Taylor also visits Minnesota

Associated Press

Updated: March 4, 2005, 3:34 PM ET

Email

Print

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The agent for Pittsburgh receiver Plaxico Burress has had preliminary talks with the Minnesota Vikings about his client replacing Randy Moss.

Plaxico Burress

Wide Receiver

Pittsburgh Steelers

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

35 698 5 19.9 48 92

Michael Harrison told The Associated Press that Burress would not mind playing with quarterback Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the contact with the Vikings was initiated by Harrison.

"Plaxico's interested in being in Minnesota," Harrison said. "I think it is a good fit for both sides."

Also on Thursday, free-agent receiver Travis Taylor, a disappointment during his five seasons in Baltimore, visited the Vikings.

Burress is the biggest name receiver left on the free-agent market. At 6-foot-5 and 226 pounds, the five-year veteran has the size and speed to get down the field and catch the fade pattern in the end zone, a Moss specialty over the past seven years.

After Moss was traded to Oakland on Wednesday and third receiver Kelly Campbell was arrested on marijuana and weapons charges, Vikings coach Mike Tice said the Vikings are looking for depth at the position.

If healthy, Burress would certainly provide more than that.

His best season came in 2002, when he had 78 catches for 1,325 yards and seven TDs. But an injury last season and quarterback inconsistencies contributed to lower numbers in 2003 and 2004.

Tice did not comment on Burress but said Taylor "was recruiting us, really," because he also wants to play with Pro Bowler Culpepper.

Travis Taylor

Wide Receiver

Baltimore Ravens

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

34 421 0 12.4 47 99

Tice said the Vikings' original plan did not call for them to look at offensive players this early in free agency, which opened Wednesday. They signed Buffalo defensive tackle Pat Williams late Wednesday night in an effort to shore up a mediocre defense.

"We had a different strategy, but this young man is aggressively pursuing us. ... He's a fine football player. Very articulate young man, and dresses well," Tice quipped.

In five years with Baltimore, the former 10th overall selection out of Florida had 204 catches for 2,758 and 15 touchdowns.

"Travis Taylor is a player that is intriguing," Tice said. "He has not been explosive in this league. You look at that offense and see that not many people have been."

he flew to minnesota to meet wtih the vikings after the giants broke off talks w/ him. i mean they wouldn' tmeet w/ him if they weren't somewhat interested

True but that doesn't equate to being courted. His agent actively shopped him around and there was very little interest.

Don't get me wrong. After his play last year I'm sure there were several kicking themselves.

Tempest/AA,

I'm not judging Plaxico for going to a club, and nobody else should either. It's his perogative and if it causes him problems at home with his family, that's his business and nobody else's.

The problem is that he is not licensed to carry, and any idiot knows that you don't carry a gun on you in public without a license anywhere, much less NYC where the laws are strict. I understand the laws are strict, but I've seen professional athletes in bars/clubs before with bodyguards. That's all Plax had to do... hire a bodyguard. It could be an ex-cop or military person who already has a license. I'm sure he can afford to pay someone for security for a few nights out per month.

You cannot excuse carrying a weapon without a license, much less when you ARE DRINKING IN NYC! That goes from dumb to reckless and endangering lives. He is actually fortunate that nothing else happened, and you can bet your ass that this wasn't the first time he has done this, only the first time that something has happened.

I agree also that there are places that are more dangerous than others. But that is also irrelevant. A man has a right to protect himself, but if you are Plaxico Burress, you can afford to do it intelligently and more importantly, legally.

I don't think Plax is a bad human being. He is only hurting himself and I don't think he would intentionally cause harm to someone else. But the Giants cannot put up with this irresponsible behavior. I sincerely hope that this is rock bottom for Plax. If it is, he can turn it around and I hope the Giants welcome him back... if he wants to and commits to living a more responsible lifestyle. The Giants were right to suspend him, but I also believe that they care about his well-being. Right now Plaxico has to try and not land himself in prison for 3 1/2 years, though.