SportsWrath

Burress expected back in two weeks

jranieli

I don't think Plax is a bad human being. He is only hurting himself and I don't think he would intentionally cause harm to someone else.

Thing is, he wasn't hurting just himself. He drug two other players into this. One of them is now in serious legal trouble as well.

Thing is, he wasn't hurting just himself. He drug two other players into this. One of them is now in serious legal trouble as well.

You can't "drag" anyone into anything. Pierce and Bradshaw decided to go out on their own volition. Bradshaw is a guy I worry about down the road.

He also didn't force Pierce to do anything illegal, and need I remind you, Pierce has not even been charged with a crime. I personally feel that Pierce is going to come out of this with no charges serious legal problems.

You can't "drag" anyone into anything. Pierce and Bradshaw decided to go out on their own volition. Bradshaw is a guy I worry about down the road.

He also didn't force Pierce to do anything illegal, and need I remind you, Pierce has not even been charged with a crime. I personally feel that Pierce is going to come out of this with no charges serious legal problems.

Sure you can. You think plax came out and said, "btw guys I'm carrying a concealed weapon for which I have no permit".

And how do you know he didn't ask his teammate to get rid of the gun after the fact?

Pierce is in trouble because of Plax's stupidity. Undeniable.

Sure you can. You think plax came out and said, "btw guys I'm carrying a concealed weapon for which I have no permit".

And how do you know he didn't ask his teammate to get rid of the gun after the fact?

Pierce is in trouble because of Plax's stupidity. Undeniable.

Sorry but you are wrong. Every man has to be accountable for their own actions. Even if Plaxico asked Pierce to get rid of the gun, he did not have to do it. Btw, you are jumping ahead here. Pierce nor Bradshaw have been charged with anything anyways. Moreover, we do not know if Pierce actually DID get rid of the gun. What we do know is that the gun ended up back at Plaxico's house. Besides, it doesn't matter, Pierce was only helping a friend out who shot himself. If that involved handling the gun that does not mean that he is guilty of a crime, and I personally feel it's doubtful he gets charged with anything, unless he lied to the police, in which case again, he has to be accountable for his own actions.

You are forgetting that Pierce is a grown man and makes his own decisions...

Decision 1 - I will go out with Plaxico tonight.

Decision 2 - I will get rid of this gun for him (if in fact that is what he did)

Decision 3 - I will not cooperate with authorities (if in fact that is what happened)

All of these things are up to Pierce, not Plaxico, and I reiterate that you are responsible for your own actions as a man.

Sorry but you are wrong. Every man has to be accountable for their own actions. Even if Plaxico asked Pierce to get rid of the gun, he did not have to do it. Btw, you are jumping ahead here. Pierce nor Bradshaw have been charged with anything anyways. Moreover, we do not know if Pierce actually DID get rid of the gun. What we do know is that the gun ended up back at Plaxico's house. Besides, it doesn't matter, Pierce was only helping a friend out who shot himself. If that involved handling the gun that does not mean that he is guilty of a crime, and I personally feel it's doubtful he gets charged with anything, unless he lied to the police, in which case again, he has to be accountable for his own actions.

You are forgetting that Pierce is a grown man and makes his own decisions...

Decision 1 - I will go out with Plaxico tonight.

Decision 2 - I will get rid of this gun for him (if in fact that is what he did)

Decision 3 - I will not cooperate with authorities (if in fact that is what happened)

All of these things are up to Pierce, not Plaxico, and I reiterate that you are responsible for your own actions as a man.

Well no shit he didn't have to do it. Doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be in legal trouble right now if not for Plax's stupidity.

Yes he is in trouble. That's why he now has a lawyer talking to police and the DA about this incident. Taking the gun from the scene across state lines is getting rid of the gun. I don't think he'll get leniency for 'helping out a friend.'

Bradshaw is the only one police have said 'is not suspected of any wrongdoing'.

I'm not saying he's not responsible for his actions, I'm just saying he was put in this position by Plax.

Tempest/AA,

I'm not judging Plaxico for going to a club, and nobody else should either. It's his perogative and if it causes him problems at home with his family, that's his business and nobody else's.

The problem is that he is not licensed to carry, and any idiot knows that you don't carry a gun on you in public without a license anywhere, much less NYC where the laws are strict. I understand the laws are strict, but I've seen professional athletes in bars/clubs before with bodyguards. That's all Plax had to do... hire a bodyguard. It could be an ex-cop or military person who already has a license. I'm sure he can afford to pay someone for security for a few nights out per month.

You cannot excuse carrying a weapon without a license, much less when you ARE DRINKING IN NYC! That goes from dumb to reckless and endangering lives. He is actually fortunate that nothing else happened, and you can bet your ass that this wasn't the first time he has done this, only the first time that something has happened.

I agree also that there are places that are more dangerous than others. But that is also irrelevant. A man has a right to protect himself, but if you are Plaxico Burress, you can afford to do it intelligently and more importantly, legally.

I don't think Plax is a bad human being. He is only hurting himself and I don't think he would intentionally cause harm to someone else. But the Giants cannot put up with this irresponsible behavior. I sincerely hope that this is rock bottom for Plax. If it is, he can turn it around and I hope the Giants welcome him back... if he wants to and commits to living a more responsible lifestyle. The Giants were right to suspend him, but I also believe that they care about his well-being. Right now Plaxico has to try and not land himself in prison for 3 1/2 years, though.

i think we're on the same page. i dont think he should be judged for going to a club--especially since he apparnetly had approval with the leader of the team. i def agree about the gun though, very stupid. im coming off like a huge plax defender in this thread but really all i am saying is that a) we shouldn't get all over him for being at a club and b) he was a much bigger part of our superbowl championship than a lot of people in this thread are giving him credit for and c) i think too many people have a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude

Fair enough AA.

Nesta, I understand your points but I really don't think he is really in trouble until he is charged with a crime. That may happen, and if it does he will be in trouble. And certainly Plax caused a situation that he otherwise wouldn't have been in. My contention is that from that moment on, Pierce is in control of his decision making as it pertains to committing a crime or not. I think if Pierce is charged, the DA is going to come out of it looking bad and the charges will eventually be dropped.

Fair enough AA.

Nesta, I understand your points but I really don't think he is really in trouble until he is charged with a crime. That may happen, and if it does he will be in trouble. And certainly Plax caused a situation that he otherwise wouldn't have been in. My contention is that from that moment on, Pierce is in control of his decision making as it pertains to committing a crime or not. I think if Pierce is charged, the DA is going to come out of it looking bad and the charges will eventually be dropped.

He hasn't been charged yet, because he hasn't been interviewed yet. He was supposed to bring himself in like Plax, but he didn't.

I think you're completely overlooking a few things.

1. Plax did not drive himself to the hospital or home. Pierce drove.

2. After Plax shot himself, Pierce has no defense in claiming he didn't know about the gun.

3. The gun was moved from the scene back to Plax's home via Pierce who at that time knew he was transporting the gun.

Ofcourse this is still all speculation, as he has yet to be interviewed.

They may not try to stick the heavier charges on Pierce, but he is in trouble and at the very least may miss a game or two.

We are in agreement about Pierce's decision making, but my initial point was Plax was not only hurting himself. He caused the situation. If he had not brought a gun into a club, Pierce wouldn't need legal counsel.

He hasn't been charged yet, because he hasn't been interviewed yet. He was supposed to bring himself in like Plax, but he didn't.

I think you're completely overlooking a few things.

1. Plax did not drive himself to the hospital or home. Pierce drove.

2. After Plax shot himself, Pierce has no defense in claiming he didn't know about the gun.

3. The gun was moved from the scene back to Plax's home via Pierce who at that time knew he was transporting the gun.

Ofcourse this is still all speculation, as he has yet to be interviewed.

They may not try to stick the heavier charges on Pierce, but he is in trouble and at the very least may miss a game or two.

We are in agreement about Pierce's decision making, but my initial point was Plax was not only hurting himself. He caused the situation. If he had not brought a gun into a club, Pierce wouldn't need legal counsel.

Yeah but I still don't think any of that is a crime. The fact that Pierce drove him is a so-what. Burress needed medical attention, at the very least he needed to get out of the club as he was just shot. Of course Pierce is going to drive. Of course he knew about the gun afterwards. But the fact is he didn't bring the gun to the location, Plax did, plus it was Plax's gun. If he drives Plax with the gun back to Plax's residence, I don't think that is a crime.

Yeah but I still don't think any of that is a crime. The fact that Pierce drove him is a so-what. Burress needed medical attention, at the very least he needed to get out of the club as he was just shot. Of course Pierce is going to drive. Of course he knew about the gun afterwards. But the fact is he didn't bring the gun to the location, Plax did, plus it was Plax's gun. If he drives Plax with the gun back to Plax's residence, I don't think that is a crime.

It doesn't matter who owns the gun.

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

i think we're on the same page. i dont think he should be judged for going to a club--especially since he apparnetly had approval with the leader of the team. i def agree about the gun though, very stupid. im coming off like a huge plax defender in this thread but really all i am saying is that a) we shouldn't get all over him for being at a club and b) he was a much bigger part of our superbowl championship than a lot of people in this thread are giving him credit for and c) i think too many people have a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude

While I agree with you Midas, I think the Giants should look at imposing curfews and no alcohol rules on players during the season. This is standard practice with footballers in Australia, not just for their performance but primarily because of the trouble they get into, which is often not their fault. There's always a couple of dickheads out and about who want to prove they're The Man.

It doesn't matter who owns the gun.

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

The question is intent. Pierce had no intent to commit a crime, but to help out a friend, who, oh yeah, was shot.

By the criteria above I don't see how he has committed a crime. I'm fairly confident Pierce has a NY driver's license, but maybe not. I don't think they are going to charge him for the events following his friend being shot in the leg in the heat of the moment, and if they do, the charges will be dropped or he will not be convicted and the DA will look stupid for charging him. I just don't see it happening, Nesta. We can agree to disagree on this one.

The question is intent. Pierce had no intent to commit a crime, but to help out a friend, who, oh yeah, was shot.

By the criteria above I don't see how he has committed a crime. I'm fairly confident Pierce has a NY driver's license, but maybe not. I don't think they are going to charge him for the events following his friend being shot in the leg in the heat of the moment, and if they do, the charges will be dropped or he will not be convicted and the DA will look stupid for charging him. I just don't see it happening, Nesta. We can agree to disagree on this one.

You might be right, IF, Pierce had taken Plax directly to the hospital and turned the gun over to security there.

It's what happened after that that may get him into some trouble.

And I don't see any clause in that law for 'intent', especially when your intent is to avoid more trouble by taking the illegal gun across the state line.

While I agree with you Midas, I think the Giants should look at imposing curfews and no alcohol rules on players during the season. This is standard practice with footballers in Australia, not just for their performance but primarily because of the trouble they get into, which is often not their fault. There's always a couple of dickheads out and about who want to prove they're The Man.

I wouldn't be opposed to such rules, but my best guess is that the players union isn't having any of it. something tells me this idea has crossed coughlin and other coaches' minds before