SportsWrath

Bad Calls

Lubeck

It is a given that any week the refs will call a bad penalty.

But this one really bothers me.

Unnecessary roughness, hitting a defenseless receiver. Called on Phillips in the first quarter.

There was no way this penalty should have been called. Phillips was coming in to lay on a big hit as the ball was coming in. If the guy catches the ball there is no penalty. Because he didn't his momentum carried him forward a yard or two and Phillips came in a second after the ball was out of the play. Phillips delivers a good hit that was completely legit as far as leading with a helmet is concerned.

What is a DB supposed to do sit back and wait for a guy to catch the ball before he goes to lay a good and legal hit? Phillips was playing by instinct and did what he has been trained to do. Next time he is in a similar situation he is going to most likely worry about drawing a flag and will hold back. Guy catches the ball and he isn't there to deliver a hit that breaks up the pass.

How was Phillips going to stop his momentum? The refs have been terrible this year. In the Eagles, they threw a phantom flag against Trent Cole early on and then missed the call on the non muffed punt. The Falcon returned was at least a foot away from the ball but the refs said he touched it. The only problem is that Atlanta had no time outs left prior to the two minute warning.

How was Phillips going to stop his momentum? The refs have been terrible this year. In the Eagles, they threw a phantom flag against Trent Cole early on and then missed the call on the non muffed punt. The Falcon returned was at least a foot away from the ball but the refs said he touched it. The only problem is that Atlanta had no time outs left prior to the two minute warning.

For extra sports commentary and fan input I venture to fannation and the throwdown area to see what fans are thinking as far as opinions go and that was a throwdown today whether or not that was a right call. I have not seen it so I can't comment though.

I love how fired up the sideline coaches got on that, getting in the faces of the refs.

Thanks Hampton good post. I was screaming over that penalty and how ticky tacky it was. There were a number of ticky tacky penalties called.

Pathetic. How the hell is the defender supposed to pull up in that situation? I was listening to the game and Bob Papa basically said Plax got raped in the endzone and there was no call and yet this is called?

Pathetic. How the hell is the defender supposed to pull up in that situation? I was listening to the game and Bob Papa basically said Plax got raped in the endzone and there was no call and yet this is called?

Pathetic is the best word to describe it. That is what a DB is supposed to do. Blow the guy up. But if the retard doesn't catch the ball it is a penalty?

NFL Network has a segment when the guy that supervises the officials explains what the were thinking and why they make certain calls during a game. I can't wait to see him try to explain his way out of this one.

I don't like the call nor the hit.. reason I say this is because we all know the call was bullshit. The reason I don't like the hit because it was inches away from probably breaking the guys neck... I know it's a rough game.. I play it after all.. but I just hate to see a human being go paralyzed...

:( Y'all gunna hate me but

That was a good call by the refs. You can clearly see the ball way out of the receivers hands before Phillips loads up for his shot on Moore. Moore was defenseless.

When I saw the play LIVE I said DAMN IT KENNY I like your style but you are going to cast us if they throw a Fla.......... :brooding: g.

That was a good call by the refs. You can clearly see the ball way out of the receivers hands before Phillips loads up for his shot on Moore. Moore was defenseless.

When I saw the play LIVE I said DAMN IT KENNY I like your style but you are going to cast us if they throw a Fla.......... :brooding: g.

i have no problem with 'set the tone' roughing penalties, especially in the 1st half. that let the pitt offense know they were in for a long day.

Moore would've been defenseless with the ball too. That's the thing.

Well I believe if the defender can stop his momentum or at least avoid contact, he should do it. We shouldn't be trying to paralyze anyone. I remember that hit aginst Ike Hilliard when was clearly down... I was very upset. Even though I thought the flag was BS, maybe Kenny could've stopped in time.

IMO anytime you launch yourself at a wr or qb it should be a personal foul. too many people have been critically injured that way. not to mention it's bad tackling technique. so in that respect, I agree with the call. does it always get called like that? no.

And Moore does not meet the NFL definition of 'defenseless', because he has both his feet on the ground.

Eh, we've had some bad calls, but on the whole we can't complain. Now the Falcons, they can complain, although they still might have lost.

League-wide, the referees are doing a lousy job. There just seems to be a ton of blown calls everywhere. Fortunately for us, we seem to get the ticky-tack variety, and none of them have been so horrible that it cost us a game.

Very poorly officiated game. I watched the replay last night and could be a little less passionate about some of it.

Call on Phillips was close. He is acting oon instinct and imo legal on the play but.... Although he lead with the shoulder the shot went directly to the side of the head. That is the most dangerous place to get hit and the league is trying to cut down on this. He will probably get fined as well.

The holding call on Boss that wiped out a first down by Ward was huge given its effect on field position. The guy on the Steelers pulled a Susan Lucci on that one.

The holding call on Colon ( ? ) that erased Washington's second score could have gone either way.

There was a really bad non-call on a hold on Smith that lead to an incomplete on a 3rd down.

Plex was held in the end zone which lead to an incomplete pass.

A couple of really tic tac roughing calls in post possession scrums.

Guys, that was a late hit, the tackle was made and the guy was falling to the ground and he clearly hadn't the ball. Phillips launched himself after the fact and could have held back. I blame it on him being a rookie and the fact that the kid is clearly trying to send a message, he's been dying for the big hit all year.

That penalty aside, Phillips had a good game.

Seeing it in slow motion I say yeah, it looked like a late hit. But at normal speed, I don't think I would even consider calling it. Then again, I'm not a Steeler fan.

Normal speed shows no chance of holding up. None.