SportsWrath

Rich Seubert locked up til 2012

BleedinBlue

This is a good deal - Seubert gets a raise and an extension, yet gives Giants more cap room (about 9.5 million left overall), and he's been solid on the line since his return.

From the Star Ledger:

"Three years ago, Rich Seubert wasn't certain if he'd ever play football again. Now, he's got job security for the next couple of seasons.

Seubert, the Giants' starting left guard last season, signed a contract extension through the 2012 season today, according to someone familiar with the negotiations. Financial terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Seubert, who turns 29 on Sunday, had two seasons remaining on his existing contract. After the Super Bowl win, he presented the Giants with a contract proposal that would allow him to finish his career with the team. Seubert's proposal also made his recent salary increases (from $1.05 million to $2 million this upcoming season) due to incentives reached more palatable for the Giants' salary cap because they'll now be converted into a signing bonus and spread over five years.

Seubert told the front office he understood his extension might mean he'll once again become a backup in the future. But the most important part of the deal for him was his being able to remain with an organization that has been loyal to him.

Seubert's stint with the Giants began in 2001 when they signed him as an undrafted free agent. He started all 16 games the following season and had established himself as one of the league's best young guards when he suffered a ghastly leg injury in 2003. Eagles defensive end N.D. Kalu accidentally stepped on his leg, resulting in several broken bones.

After a handful of surgeries and a missed 2004 season, Seubert returned to the field as a backup in 2005 and '06 before officially regaining his starting spot this past season. He started all 16 games and was a key part of a line that paved the way for a four-back rushing attack that racked up 2,148 yards during the regular season - fourth most in the NFL."

a good deal for all concerned ...and i especially like the loyalty shown in both directions ....well done Reese & Rich

Indeed.

It is so rare to see a player show loyalty to a team anymore. Sure Rich gets financial security over the long-run, but spreading out his incentives gained and knowing that he isn't guaranteed a starting position means a lot.

I was OK with that at the beginning of last season....he just looks like an LT. Like a big mean Baby Huey looking bastard. :flex:

I loved that shot of him in his rookie season when he and some other Giants visited a childrens' hospital. He looks like he's about to snack on a four year-old.

I remember when he broke his leg I was really disappointed because he had been playing really well. Glad the team stayed with him and didn't cast him aside as an injury loss.

it's amazing he rehabbed, took time off as a starter, stayed with the team, and eventually made it back as a starter after all that.

I remember when he broke his leg I was really disappointed because he had been playing really well. Glad the team stayed with him and didn't cast him aside as an injury loss.

it's one of the reasons why I love this organization and why I'm so proud to be a Giants fan. The giants could have very easily just cut him and let him go. But they saw how good of a player he was and how much he was well liked by his team mate and opponents. A classy move, by a classy organization, with a classy player.