SportsWrath

Giants seeking out DeAngelo Hall

NeMesiS

www.nj.com

Giants seek DeAngelo Hall as top cornerback

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Thursday February 21, 2008, 10:39 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- With their top two free-agent targets wearing pricey franchise tags, the Giants are trying another route toward getting a top cornerback: A trade with the Atlanta Falcons for two-time Pro Bowler DeAngelo Hall.

According to two people with knowledge of preliminary discussions between the teams, the Giants are willing to give Atlanta their first-round pick (31st overall) in April's draft in exchange for Hall. The people requested anonymity because of the private nature of the trade talks.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese declined to comment today at the NFL Scouting Combine when asked whether the Giants have inquired about Hall, the eighth overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Hall's agent, Joel Segal, could not be reached for comment.

The Giants had hoped to make a run at the Seahawks' Marcus Trufant and the Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, according to one of the people familiar with the team's offseason plans, but each was made the franchise player by their respective teams.

As compensation, the Giants would owe two first-round picks if they signed either player. Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, who will become a free agent next Friday, is viewed by the Giants more as a player whose success is the product of New England's defensive system than his own ability.

Hall, 24, is a fast, tough and talented player who has 17 interceptions in his four NFL seasons.

Thank Mike for letting the whole world know what the Giants plans are. I'm sure now the Cowboys wouldn't mine giving them one of their higher draft picks. You fucking moron!

We dont need him. Web and Ross have shown they deserve the top 2 spots. Id rather use the first round pick to get a back up CB. We still have Madison, and Mc.

Actually we can definitely use someone like Hall. Let's face it, your pass defense has been atrocious for years. Sure we have Ross who's about the only solidly consistent player out of the bunch. I love Webster, but Hall is a pro-bowler for a reason.

The more I think about this the more I keep coming back to the same though. "Do we really want another #21 with a big mouth?"

I think a lot of the players' attitudes are shaped by their environment. Hall in the right setting can be a team-player... if he ends up in New York, he's playing for the world champions and he will get in line.

I think a lot of the players' attitudes are shaped by their environment. Hall in the right setting can be a team-player... if he ends up in New York, he's playing for the world champions and he will get in line.

I can swallow it and be the usual hopeful optimistic fan I am. Can we stipulate he can't be #21 though?

If Atlanta wants to go ahead with the trade then attitude aside it would be a good deal for the Giants. 31st pick in the draft for a proven CB? Good deal. I just don't like the thought of waiting until pick 63 for our first pick.

I can swallow it and be the usual hopeful optimistic fan I am. Can we stipulate he can't be #21 though?

If Atlanta wants to go ahead with the trade then attitude aside it would be a good deal for the Giants. 31st pick in the draft for a proven CB? Good deal. I just don't like the thought of waiting until pick 63 for our first pick.

Yea I understand the whole draft anxiety and waiting forever... but like you said getting a proven top tier CB will solidify our defensive backfield. That will leave us one solid safety away from sealing the deal on defense... even if we don't resign Wilson.. I'm sure M Johnson (or at least I believe) can play very well.

The 31st overall pick in the draft is a steal for Hall, attitude and team need be damned. Thats a pro bowl talent CB with speed. Hall and Ross starting with Web playing nickle? Get the fuck outta here, thats good set of corners right there. And as much love as I got fot Web (LSU Pride baby), Playing well the last few games of the past season doesn't solidify him as the number 2 corner.

I'm still waiting for us to make an offer to Tennessee for Pacman Jones. Give them some Brownies or something for him.

Let's bring Pacman here to New York and pair him with Stephon Marbury who has found God and can lead the "PAC" down the path of righteousness.

Pacman Jones is better than D'angelo Hall, when he plays that is.

I'm still waiting for us to make an offer to Tennessee for Pacman Jones. Give them some Brownies or something for him.

Let's bring Pacman here to New York and pair him with Stephon Marbury who has found God and can lead the "PAC" down the path of righteousness.

Pacman Jones is better than D'angelo Hall, when he plays that is.

No he isn't.

Actually we can definitely use someone like Hall. Let's face it, your pass defense has been atrocious for years. Sure we have Ross who's about the only solidly consistent player out of the bunch. I love Webster, but Hall is a pro-bowler for a reason.

Whats this "your" crap?? We are not in the P&R sec. We are one over here ;)

The 31st overall pick in the draft is a steal for Hall, attitude and team need be damned. Thats a pro bowl talent CB with speed. Hall and Ross starting with Web playing nickle? Get the fuck outta here, thats good set of corners right there. And as much love as I got fot Web (LSU Pride baby), Playing well the last few games of the past season doesn't solidify him as the number 2 corner.

I disagree. He played very well against the top 3 offenses in the league. Either you can do that, your you cant. He has proven himself, and deserves a shot.

I disagree. He played very well against the top 3 offenses in the league. Either you can do that, your you cant. He has proven himself, and deserves a shot.

OK, 3 great games against the leagues best offenses. Where has he been the past couple years, including the rest of this season, against every other offenseZ?

OK, 3 great games against the leagues best offenses. Where has he been the past couple years, including the rest of this season, against every other offenseZ?

It doesnt matter VG. He was dropped from the starting roll, and when he got a shot again, it lite a fire under his ass. NTM before this season he played for a DC that didnt understand his strengths. It also take some time for a NFL CB to start playing at a high level. Dont get me wrong, I wanted him gone myself, but he has proven me wrong.

I'm with you VG. It's true that I love Webster and no one is advocating we cut him... Hall is a definite upgrade over any CB in the league.

It doesnt matter VG. He was dropped from the starting roll, and when he got a shot again, it lite a fire under his ass. NTM before this season he played for a DC that didnt understand his strengths. It also take some time for a NFL CB to start playing at a high level. Dont get me wrong, I wanted him gone myself, but he has proven me wrong.

I understand all that, but imo a small sampling is not convincing enough. it's not like the dude was on the verge of becoming great for 3 years, he stunk, and then all of a sudden he came up big for us, and I will always appreciate that and remember it. But it's not just about him deserving the chance, like Nas said, Hall is a very clear upgrade and a helluva reasonable price. Hall is better than any player we will get at pick 31, and most of the 'experts" feel we will draft a CB there anyway. Why not trade straight up for a guy who could be in the pro bowl?

OMG I know Webster is my boy and I really liked what I've seen from him at the end of the season, but if we can get this done... WOW.

Hall and Ross would greatly improve our pass D and if Wilson comes back and we draft some other Safety in the 2nd or even Johnson.....we might actually have a good pass D for once.

OMG I know Webster is my boy and I really liked what I've seen from him at the end of the season, but if we can get this done... WOW.

Hall and Ross would greatly improve our pass D and if Wilson comes back and we draft some other Safety in the 2nd or even Johnson.....we might actually have a good pass D for once.

I'm pretty upbeat about Johnson.. even though he's seen limited time.. I like what I've seen so far.