SportsWrath

Giants seeking out DeAngelo Hall

NeMesiS

Wilson is much better than you give him credit for and he will get paid accordingly. You don't get bandied about as one of the best FA for being mediocre.

This is one thing I hope to see in the future from the NFL. With tv going digital could they make the 'coaches tape' available as an alternate view of the game so we can watch the whole field including the secondary? It's hard to tell how good a safety is until they show them, which usually means they're either making a tackle or getting burnt.

This is one thing I hope to see in the future from the NFL. With tv going digital could they make the 'coaches tape' available as an alternate view of the game so we can watch the whole field including the secondary? It's hard to tell how good a safety is until they show them, which usually means they're either making a tackle or getting burnt.

I suspect that in the future, the NFL will begin broadcasting on two or more channels so you can either watch a split screen or PIP to watch 2 views simultaneously....or you can have 2 or more tv's tuned to each channel to see things from different perspectives. It would certainly be nice to be able to see full field views during the game.

Wilson is much better than you give him credit for and he will get paid accordingly. You don't get bandied about as one of the best FA for being mediocre.

I think he's a middle of the pack safety and I could be wrong.

I suspect that in the future, the NFL will begin broadcasting on two or more channels so you can either watch a split screen or PIP to watch 2 views simultaneously....or you can have 2 or more tv's tuned to each channel to see things from different perspectives. It would certainly be nice to be able to see full field views during the game.

With digital capability you wouldn't need two tvs or two channels to do just that.

That would be great, especially with TVs getting so big being more and more common. It's probably why seeing games live is so different. You can see everything not just the very limited view of a camera.

Even as a RFA last year there was rumblings that it was going to be an issue with Wilson. Now as a FA he is mentioned with Briggs and Samuel. Good secondary players are hard to find. Wilson now has the bling so he should go for the big paycheck. I guess it just matters how much another team is willing to pay and if the Giants are willing to match. The Giants could franchise him, nobody else to franchise anyway, but probably won't happen.

Even as a RFA last year there was rumblings that it was going to be an issue with Wilson. Now as a FA he is mentioned with Briggs and Samuel. Good secondary players are hard to find. Wilson now has the bling so he should go for the big paycheck. I guess it just matters how much another team is willing to pay and if the Giants are willing to match. The Giants could franchise him, nobody else to franchise anyway, but probably won't happen.

Which is fine. I feel he can sign with another team and we won't miss a beat. That's not to discount Wilson but I feel we can always get a safety of equal quality... come to think of it, we may have a diamond in the rough.. named Johnson.

Which is fine. I feel he can sign with another team and we won't miss a beat. That's not to discount Wilson but I feel we can always get a safety of equal quality... come to think of it, we may have a diamond in the rough.. named Johnson.

Johnson is young and way too raw/aggressive. If there is a problem with the Giants secondary it's at safety. Butler is almost useless and he had more playing time than Johnson. When Wilson is signed elsewhere our safety position is going to be severely compromised.

You could say that about most corners in the league. I look at the GB game as the deciding factor. Farve had lots of time on many of those plays, and still got shut down damn near the entire second half. And Ross played tremendous, especialy for a rookie. Web played very well against the top 3 offenses in the league, either you can do that or you cant. Do we still have Pope?? That kid played pretty good to against Dallas.

Still thinking about it, Hall would make our defense sick. Put Web in the nickle, and rotate Madison in from time to time. Though I doubt Reese finds a way to bring him in. Even if he cant, Im more than fine with the guys we have back there.

Ofcourse you can. Most cb's in the league are not shutdown corners.

Favre just wasn't having a good game. My wife who knows little about football even made note of that.

We played our best against good teams when we were getting pressure. I'm not really knocking Ross and Web, but someone like Hall could, as you said, make our defense sick.

As I'm reading this all I can picture is Webster looking like Galloway's shadow.

:brooding: I'm not trying to say web absolutely sucks, but I'm definately not ready to say give him a starting job.

I should hope he could keep up with someone older than me who wasn't even 100% for the game.

No you are absolutly right. The only reason he is getting a huge pay day, is cause there arent many safties in FA. Kinda like Nate getting 80 mill last year.

Ofcourse you can. Most cb's in the league are not shutdown corners.

Favre just wasn't having a good game. My wife who knows little about football even made note of that.

We played our best against good teams when we were getting pressure. I'm not really knocking Ross and Web, but someone like Hall could, as you said, make our defense sick.

I gotta disagree about Farve having a bad game. Its not that he was having a bad game, its that his receivers couldnt seperate, and he wasnt going to risk getting picked off till he absolutly had to. And then Web did just that.

It would be nice to get Hall, but with all these teams wanting him, I doubt we have a realistic chance at getting him. Reese would be the man if he pulls it off, without losing to many picks.

No you are absolutely right. The only reason he is getting a huge pay day, is cause there aren't many safeties in FA. Kinda like Nate getting 80 mill last year.

I don't agree because there are other good FA this year but Wilson is considered one of the best. Clements may have gotten over paid but he is a very good CB on a team with no O last year. Having to play 2/3rds of a game will make any D look bad (just like in Chicago). Butler and Johnson as safeties next year is not a good thing.

I just hate to give up picks for anyone. Every player is one tackle or collision from being out of commission for a year or two.

This years draft class is so deep that we are sitting in an enviable position. That's because we should be able to get two players in the first two rounds that would've been top 15 picks in some of the previous drafts. If this was a shallow draft class...I'd be all for giving up a couple of pics.

Also, because we pick number 31 and 64, we will get extreme talent for bargain prices....since signing deals are relative to where you go in the draft. In a way, I think the 31st pick might be more desireable to a team like Atlanta than a 15th pick, because they could get an equally good player, but not have to pay through the ass for his contract.

This draft class is so deep, that Miami would absolutely love to deal away their first pick overall (but they have to pretend they don't want to get rid of it nearly as bad as they do or it will be too obvious). That's because they'll have to pay no. 1 pick salary to a player that could just as easily pay for 3 top tier players in the late first and second rounds. It's only great to have the first few picks in the draft when it is a shallow drafting class...and this year it's the deepest it's been in years. I actually feel sorry for Miami and I think they will do anything to get rid of the first pick.....but no one is going to want it for the same reason Miami doesn't want it - in my opinion anyway

I gotta disagree about Farve having a bad game. Its not that he was having a bad game, its that his receivers couldnt seperate, and he wasnt going to risk getting picked off till he absolutly had to. And then Web did just that.

It would be nice to get Hall, but with all these teams wanting him, I doubt we have a realistic chance at getting him. Reese would be the man if he pulls it off, without losing to many picks.

You have to be kidding. I've heard the same comment from many people that Favre looked like the QB who was uncomfortable in the cold and in Lambeau.

Take away his one 90 yard bomb and his numbers are shit. Without that he had 146 yards on 34 atts, 1td to 2ints

and 51% completion. And that play was in the first half.

I just hate to give up picks for anyone. Every player is one tackle or collision from being out of commission for a year or two.

This years draft class is so deep that we are sitting in an enviable position. That's because we should be able to get two players in the first two rounds that would've been top 15 picks in some of the previous drafts. If this was a shallow draft class...I'd be all for giving up a couple of pics.

Also, because we pick number 31 and 64, we will get extreme talent for bargain prices....since signing deals are relative to where you go in the draft. In a way, I think the 31st pick might be more desireable to a team like Atlanta than a 15th pick, because they could get an equally good player, but not have to pay through the ass for his contract.

This draft class is so deep, that Miami would absolutely love to deal away their first pick overall (but they have to pretend they don't want to get rid of it nearly as bad as they do or it will be too obvious). That's because they'll have to pay no. 1 pick salary to a player that could just as easily pay for 3 top tier players in the late first and second rounds. It's only great to have the first few picks in the draft when it is a shallow drafting class...and this year it's the deepest it's been in years. I actually feel sorry for Miami and I think they will do anything to get rid of the first pick.....but no one is going to want it for the same reason Miami doesn't want it - in my opinion anyway

Okay...I know I'm replying to my own post, but that's because I want to add to it.

Take an example: We give up our 1st and 3rd round picks for Hall. We immediately use up a large portion of our cap space - perhaps half of it considering we have about 20 million in cap space. Now we're down to 10 million needed to try and keep Wilson, placate Plax and Strahan, and sign our draft class. That's cutting it pretty damn close.

If we instead, don't make the trade....we pick up (as an example) Dan Conners (OLB)....who immediately shores up our linebacking corp and he is instantly given the spot over Torbor as he is considerably better.

In our 3rd round, we pick (as an example), Gosder Cherilus (OT) or Jeremy Zuttah (OG). At this point, we now have a first class Offensive Line and the best Linebacking squad the Giants have had since LT left.

And we still have 18 million left in cap room! With the 18 million, we eventually resign Wilson for 4 million up front with a backloaded contract that he will get if he turns out to be a premier saftey. If he doesn't pan out....bye, bye.

We still have 14 million left...and we have vastly improved three areas of need.

Lastly, we go out and pick up an old veteran saftey like Jay Bellamy, who still has some gas left in his tank for his age for a bargain price like 1/2 - 1 million for 1 season. Bellamy has been a tremendous leader in the defensive backfield for years and he would be good for the young kids as a player/teacher - and on top of that, he could outplay Butler on Butler's best day.

Now we still have 13.5 million in cap space and we addressed multiple areas - as opposed to giving all that up for one cornerback and little cap room to keep our regular players that brought us a superbowl.

how many times can we get lucky in the draft? all the scouting in the world can't guarentee the player will be a pro-bowler--hall already is. we have to realize that we got extremely lucky with ross, cbs are generally a huge crapshot in the draft

how many times can we get lucky in the draft? all the scouting in the world can't guarentee the player will be a pro-bowler--hall already is. we have to realize that we got extremely lucky with ross, cbs are generally a huge crapshot in the draft

What good is adding a pro-bowler if that hinders your ability to keep your other stars? I just don't think a CB position is worth that much.

You have to be kidding. I've heard the same comment from many people that Favre looked like the QB who was uncomfortable in the cold and in Lambeau.

Take away his one 90 yard bomb and his numbers are shit. Without that he had 146 yards on 34 atts, 1td to 2ints

and 51% completion. And that play was in the first half.

No Im not kidding, Thats what happens to QB's who's WR's are COVERED.

No Im not kidding, Thats what happens to QB's who's WR's are COVERED.

So favre had a decent game then? Regardless of the reason, he had a good game?

:rolleyes:

You can't have it both ways man. If he had a good game, it was at the expense of Webster, if he had a bad game it can't be because of Web's coverage.

I don't want to take anything away from what anybody did in the playoffs, but I'm not sold on Webster starting. I like Ross but I think getting a premiere cb is top of our need list.

I'd rather gamble with draft picks at lb, ol, rb, and s. Get a solid veteran cb in free agency.

we dont know that that's the case though.

Well, I'd like to get some other issues out of the way first before landing him. Thinks like pacifying Osi and Stra (I think the 2 should get the same amount as Tuck.. as he's an equally capable DE.... but that's another topic.