SportsWrath

So I'll start the debate...

mickeef2

Cut Shockey loose. Obviously, we don't need him to play championship-caliber football. For whatever reason, the team played better after his injury. You can call it coincidence, or you can look at the fact that the guy has acted like a total jerkoff from the moment we drafted him. Nice job having eight drinks in front of him during the game last night, too. You can say that's nitpicking, but trust me, most guys are smart enough to not be sitting there like that when there's a good chance they could be on TV (this is by no means the only reason I want to send him on his way, though). Not sure about the cap implications, but we'd definitely save something. Boss is at least an adequate NFL tight end, maybe better.

I know a lot of you love this guy, but it's time.

Cut Shockey loose. Obviously, we don't need him to play championship-caliber football. For whatever reason, the team played better after his injury. You can call it coincidence, or you can look at the fact that the guy has acted like a total jerkoff from the moment we drafted him. Nice job having eight drinks in front of him during the game last night, too. You can say that's nitpicking, but trust me, most guys are smart enough to not be sitting there like that when there's a good chance they could be on TV (this is by no means the only reason I want to send him on his way, though). Not sure about the cap implications, but we'd definitely save something. Boss is at least an adequate NFL tight end, maybe better.

Not so sure I disagree. Not because I dont love Shock, I very much do. But maybe the chemistry IS better w/ Boss as oppsed to Shockey. I would wish Shock all the best if it were the case, I just want whats best for the org.

I will hold my opinion on Shockey until I see he and Eli together again. Shockey's absence didn't all the sudden fix Eli's accuracy issues. THAT is probably the biggest reason for Eli's breakout from Week 17 on.

We're in a win-win situation with Shock.

If we keep him, our two-TE sets will be the stuff of legend.

Even is he turns bitchy, we have leverage to bench his ass.

If we get a good deal for him in a trade... we get a good deal for him in a trade.

Oh, by the way, we're the mother fucking Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!

HAHAHAHAH! GO GIANTS! :yikes: :rock: :evilgrin: :freaked::clap:

It's not as if Boss is that great either. Two huge catches a game he seems to get. Doesn't set the world on fire.

But our team is obviously proving to be better off without him.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't feel we need him.

I would give him a chance because he is an exceptional talent. Jacobs and Bradshaw could have benefited from some tight end blocking yesterday. But, if he doesn't want to work out with the team as a team, we probably could make do without him.

Cap room. A pro-rated portion of whatever the signing bonus was when he signed this latest contract would count against us, but the non-guaranteed part wouldn't.

If we were the 'Skins I would be concerned with cap room, but in all honesty I don't think cap room is an issue with us. I say keep him, Shock and Boss would be a wicked two TE set.

I'll hold off with the hole "were better off without Shockey" until Eli actually plays in the regular season without him.

I think now that Eli is the MVP it will totally change the equation. In the past, Eli deferred to guys like Tiki and Shockey because they were veterans, and Eli is a respectful guy.

Now, Eli is the undisputed leader of the offense. And since Shockey was on the outside looking in (or, in the case of the last night, on the inside looking out), the point doesn't need to be made. So, if Shockey is moaning for the ball, he can basically STFU.

Having said that, I still like Shockey alot, and think he's a great player. I'm sure after this season, he'll be grateful to be on a winner. He is now a Super Bowl veteran - that's got to help his demeanor.

I would definitely consider trading Shockey for another impact player. Would love to have a hard-hitting safety to complement Gibril Wilson, for example. But unless we can get a proven starter, or else a very good (ie. 2nd-3rd round) pick for him, I don't want the Giants to pull the same shit that the Raiders and Miami did.

It's time for you to STFU. Boss is good but he is no Shockey. If you are not playing, it's ok to drink as far as I'm concerned. Are you a member of AA?

Keef, we have months before the draft to talk about this, why now?

I couldn't help but think when they showed the picture of Shockey that guys were going to go nuts here, because I agree, that was real bad form showing him like that. But if you think he wouldn't have been a help in the short game, especially on 3rd and long, then once again you are kidding yourself. Did anybody ever think that maybe Boss is getting so many passes thrown to him because well he's a rookie and he's not considered as big of a threat out there as the others.

I will hold my opinion on Shockey until I see he and Eli together again. Shockey's absence didn't all the sudden fix Eli's accuracy issues. THAT is probably the biggest reason for Eli's breakout from Week 17 on.

My two cent. Maybe, maybe not. If Shockey is such a cancer or so antagonistic that his presence makes Eli nervous.... then his absence could effect Eli's accuracy.

One thing is for sure the team has played much better without him.

Of all the areas where we fans fly dark in speculating is team chemistry is the worse. Sometimes it turns out that a person everyone on the outside thinks is a cancer, is sometimes really someone who holds the team together, and other times someone we think is a real team player is a problem maker.

My two cent. Maybe, maybe not. If Shockey is such a cancer or so antagonistic that his presence makes Eli nervous.... then his absence could effect Eli's accuracy.

One thing is for sure the team has played much better without him.

Of all the areas where we fans fly dark in speculating is team chemistry is the worse. Sometimes it turns out that a person everyone on the outside thinks is a cancer, is sometimes really someone who holds the team together, and other times someone we think is a real team player is a problem maker.

I'll give you that, but there's a counterpoint to that as well. Boss was an unknown and therefore there wasn't nearly the amount of attention on the TE position as there usually is. Shockey is a playmaker and an offensive spark. Take him away and naturally that opponent will believe that the TE position is no longer a threat. I don't want to take anything away from Boss, but that's probably what really happened. I don't just give up on a player like Shockey that never has an issue bringing it. When Shockey comes back and someone in that locker room comes out and makes it known that Shockey is a cancer and a detriment to the team... I'll believe it.

I think Shockey's best years are ahead of him. I have a feeling he'll come back next year with a chip on his shoulder. The guy is a great athlete and sometimes I think it's our expectations that are way too high. Cut Shockey? Why? He's a top flight TE. I'm sure he can get in line and play to his potential.

It's not as if Boss is that great either. Two huge catches a game he seems to get. Doesn't set the world on fire.

But our team is obviously proving to be better off without him.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't feel we need him.

This is probably the first maybe the 2nd time I'd disagree with you Gateb. Even though I was one of Shockey's biggest critics, I feel we maybe too critical of him.. to a fault. Right now Shockey is part of this family.. the New Giants Family... He's a dangerous TE and he can be an integral part of us repeating next season.

I criticized Plax a great deal.. and rightfully so. Plax hasn't proved me wrong.. he just lived up to the level I knew he was capable of playing... which was the reason I criticized him to begin with. Now it's Shockey's turn. I'm sure this experience taught him a lot.. Look out world.. #80 will be back... in BLUE.

he has a pretty big cap number next season, that's the only reason im not arguing this. i honestly think this isnt the right offense for him, but as you said we won the superbowl w/o him so that doesn't matter.

i read a few days before the game that if he were still on crutches he wouldn't be on the sidelines. not sure if that was actually the case on sunday, but it's something to consider.