SportsWrath

Giants haven't tendered JPP yet...

Treehugger

Jason Pierre-Paul: 'I think I'm worth a lot of money'
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: Dec. 27, 2014 at 12:05 p.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 27, 2014 at 06:33 p.m.

Jason Pierre-Paul is set to hit the free agent market and has set his sights on earning buckets of dough.

"I think I'm worth a lot of money," he said, per the New York Daily News. "What do you think?"

In 15 starts entering Week 17, JPP has compiled 49 tackles and 10.5 sacks (more than the past two seasons combined). The defensive end said he'd like to remain with the Giants, but isn't going to guess how the market will shape up.

"Who knows if I'm going to be in a Giant uniform?" Pierre-Paul said. "Like I say now, the numbers are there, I had a great season, everybody sees it. There's really nothing else to say, just negotiations, and (they're) coming."

ESPN's Josina Anderson reported Saturday that the Giants have not reached out with an offer to JPP at this point, but the source added that the lack of an offer isn't yet a concern.

"I'd love to be a Giant for the rest of my career, but at the end of the day it doesn't always fall like that," JPP said. "Look at (Justin) Tuck, look at Osi (Umenyiora), look at Brandon Jacobs. It doesn't matter. (But) I'm hitting 26 at the beginning of the year (Jan. 1). ...

There's much more football to be played at a very high intensity for me."

If the Giants let JPP reach the open market, the fifth-year pro will be one of the most highly sought after defenders, even with previous injury concerns.

I think JPP will walk. Someone going to pay above value.

Agree

Giants don't have the depth to overpay for him....he was part of a defense that disappeared for most of that backbreaking 7 game losing streak

Some team will over pay for him.

I hear the Raiders have a hard on for the guy ever since signing Tuck and the leadership he brought to the team.

I expect them giving him some stupid contract, six years, 60 million +

Might be a blessing in disguise

Once again, I'm positive the Giants are going to keep JPP simply because the team puts a higher value on defensive ends and JPP is well above average and will be paid as such.

I too think the Giants will retain him...

I would pay him an avg of $13 mil per... And hope he accepts. He is a phenomenal talent, one of the best DE's in the league, and he's severely underrated here.

Jim, he's had what... two good seasons out of five? Two and a half tops?

You don't give that kind of money to a player like that, IMHO.

I throw out his rookie year. He was limited in snaps and he was, quite simply, a rook. His second year wasn't good, it was dominant. Years three and four he missed some games to injury, and played less than 100% in most of them. It's not that I'm giving him a pass, I think he was legitimately gutting it out those seasons. And this year, I don't think he's been given near enough credit for how good he's been. And he hasn't gotten a lot of help on the opposite side. He has played under difficult circumstances and still put up numbers, and arguably has been the best run-stopper at DE in the NFL, and that matters a lot. I'm paying for what I think I'm going to get from him going forward. DE's like him are pretty rare, and the market for such players is only going to increase. I think you can talk big money and still have value in JPP on the back end of the deal. You can't dismiss a player of that caliber so casually. I still believe he's a hall of fame level talent. And who are you really going to replace him with? He's a cornerstone of your defense kind of player, and I have no problem with the Giants paying him as such. The player that needs to make less is Manning.

Jim, he's had what... two good seasons out of five? Two and a half tops?

You don't give that kind of money to a player like that, IMHO.

When you have Kiwi and Osi opposite of you, it's really hard to shine as much as you should. Not excusing his disappearances but I'd rather have him than not.

When you have Kiwi and Osi opposite of you, it's really hard to shine as much as you should. Not excusing his disappearances but I'd rather have him than not.

So would I.

But I'd also rather have a starting caliber O-line, a starting safety, and a starting LB across from Kennard than a starting DE.

If JPP thinks he's going to get an all star J.J. Watt contract against using that type of money to sign starters elsewhere on the team, he's mistaken.

Besides he sounds like he wants to get paid and I'm sure Watt's contract is going to be in his agents negotiations, so I say let him talk with teams like the Raiders or whoever will give him that contract.

I throw out his rookie year. He was limited in snaps and he was, quite simply, a rook. His second year wasn't good, it was dominant. Years three and four he missed some games to injury, and played less than 100% in most of them. It's not that I'm giving him a pass, I think he was legitimately gutting it out those seasons. And this year, I don't think he's been given near enough credit for how good he's been. And he hasn't gotten a lot of help on the opposite side. He has played under difficult circumstances and still put up numbers, and arguably has been the best run-stopper at DE in the NFL, and that matters a lot. I'm paying for what I think I'm going to get from him going forward. DE's like him are pretty rare, and the market for such players is only going to increase. I think you can talk big money and still have value in JPP on the back end of the deal. You can't dismiss a player of that caliber so casually. I still believe he's a hall of fame level talent. And who are you really going to replace him with? He's a cornerstone of your defense kind of player, and I have no problem with the Giants paying him as such. The player that needs to make less is Manning.

The fucking truth

JPP could be back next year.

Jason Pierre-Paul hints he’ll be back with NY Giants next season 'I'm pretty sure it's probably not,' Pierre-Paul, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in March, said when asked if Sunday's season finale against the Eagles was his final game with the Giants.

I understand and I think he's a really good player, I'm just not going to break the bank for a guy like that. Its fair to throw out his rookie year but that's still only two good ones out of four, and this year he padded his stats against crap teams. When did that guy make a play when it really mattered this year? Or for the last three for that matter?

You're right about the injuries, and Coughlin loves to run his players into the ground. On the other hand, you also can't ignore those injuries or write them off. Hell, his shoulder was balky THIS year... I wouldn't bet 16 mil on that.

I think he's a B+ player who deserves to be paid as such. I wouldn't pay him A+ money if that's what he's asking for. No reason not to offer him a Michael Bennett-type deal that's heavily incentive laden, and let him earn the extra money.

We went 6-10 with a couple of other players too who also deserve a new contract and why the fuck would we want to go 6-10 again?

I agree, just paraphrasing a GM from back in the day.

I think I agree with Allstarjim's $13 mil number, but... if the Giants are as far away as some people think, then it doesn't make sense to commit anywhere near that much to one player at this point.

So would I.

But I'd also rather have a starting caliber O-line, a starting safety, and a starting LB across from Kennard than a starting DE.

If JPP thinks he's going to get an all star J.J. Watt contract against using that type of money to sign starters elsewhere on the team, he's mistaken.

Besides he sounds like he wants to get paid and I'm sure Watt's contract is going to be in his agents negotiations, so I say let him talk with teams like the Raiders or whoever will give him that contract.

JPP isn't Watt and if he even thinks about it then he's dumber than we think he is... I'm in agreement that he's a B+ player ...

I understand and I think he's a really good player, I'm just not going to break the bank for a guy like that. Its fair to throw out his rookie year but that's still only two good ones out of four, and this year he padded his stats against crap teams. When did that guy make a play when it really mattered this year? Or for the last three for that matter?

You're right about the injuries, and Coughlin loves to run his players into the ground. On the other hand, you also can't ignore those injuries or write them off. Hell, his shoulder was balky THIS year... I wouldn't bet 16 mil on that.

I think he's a B+ player who deserves to be paid as such. I wouldn't pay him A+ money if that's what he's asking for. No reason not to offer him a Michael Bennett-type deal that's heavily incentive laden, and let him earn the extra money.

He's a B+ player? who the fuck are you comparing him to?